Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
Dave M

Default Small cordless drills

I'm planning on getting one of those small cordless drills for my wife. Was looking at some of the drills I notice that some don't have a torque adjustment. Wouldn't you strip the screw head without have this adjustment. Am I missing something.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:42 AM   #2
chipj29

Probably not, because a majority of them are variable speed. Drill (screw) slower to lessen the risk of stripping the head of the screw.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I'm planning on getting one of those small cordless drills for my wife. Was looking at some of the drills I notice that some don't have a torque adjustment. Wouldn't you strip the screw head without have this adjustment. Am I missing something.

Dave M
If your wife has little experience using this type of tool, a torque setting would be helpful until she gets the "feel" of using it.

Also, make sure you buy one that uses lithium ion rechargable batteries. Nothing beats the light weight, power and quick recharging of this type of unit. In my install business I have shifted all my cordless tools (mostly Makita now) to LiOn and am extremely pleased with the results....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Orion

Default Li-ion rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
If your wife has little experience using this type of tool, a torque setting would be helpful until she gets the "feel" of using it.

Also, make sure you buy one that uses lithium ion rechargable batteries. Nothing beats the light weight, power and quick recharging of this type of unit. In my install business I have shifted all my cordless tools (mostly Makita now) to LiOn and am extremely pleased with the results....
I bought the Makita Li-ion drill & impact driver combo set 18 months ago and I've told my wife that if I die she'll need to bury these with me. I love these and they've made all my projects a pleasure.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I've told my wife that if I die
Orion, if you have the secret of enternal life ... care to share it?
Just teasing and hope you are the first one to beat the odds!

If you do have the answer... I'll edit my signature to say

“An optimist thinks that the glass is half full, a pessimist thinks the glass is half empty,a realist thinks the glass is twice a big as it needs to be, and Orion has the secret to enternal life"
Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Orion

Talking got me there

I wish I had the answer.....but alas, I'll probably do just what everyone else does.........some day.

But, I do have the answer to "the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything"........ 42
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Lol

Adams is.. (was?) awesome

“ The answer to this is very simple. It was a joke. It had to be a number, an ordinary, smallish number, and I chose that one. Binary representations, base thirteen, Tibetan monks are all complete nonsense. I sat at my desk, stared into the garden and thought '42 will do.' I typed it out. End of story. ”

The Hitch Hiker Series are some of my favorites.

"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish" (4th book in his trilogy)