Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-20-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Mink Islander

Default Exterior Painting Contractor for Island Work

Any suggestions on Painters in the Gilford/Meredith area who do work on the islands? Looking to re-stain the house next summer.

Thanks!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
lakershaker

Thumbs up Chris Leighton

I would highly recommend Chirs Leighton. He came out and did our island work this summer, and was very professional and did a great job, quickly and affordably.Contact him at leightonspainting@metrocast.net . PM if you want more info.
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Woodsy

Mink..

Give Bob Powell a call! He is one of the absolute best and his prices are reasonable & fair! He does great work and goes above & beyond just painting. He has his own boat, so transportation to the island is not an issue. I am pretty sure he did some work over on Bear Island this past summer.

His number is... 603.520.5658

tell him Woodsy sent ya!

Woodsy
Old 11-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
codeman671

We used Chris Leighton as well. He does not have a boat but I let him use mine. He sometimes uses Island Support's boats or can get a ride through them. He was great, and very reasonable.

I tried Powell but he never came back with a quote.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
Mink Islander

Default Thanks!

Help like this is really what makes this forum so outstanding! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Default ...painting the islands?

You know with the stock market and especially the big dividend paying financials like CitiGroup and Washington Mutual all going to Hell, and my inability as a cdl-a truck driver w/ hazmat & tanker endorsements to get a driving job, could be I'll have to start looking for painting jobs so's I can pay my $750/month Meredith property tax.

Painting an entire house exterior has got to be a ton of hard physical work. Power washing, some scraping where needed, caulking, priming and painting is what the job's all about. I know because every year I do one side of my little cottage so the entire cottage gets repainted every four years. I can take my time and wait for the weather to be right. Last summer, the weather was wrong a lot more than it was right. I do all the windows, doors, and trim in oil semi-gloss, and all the shingles in latex opaque stain.

For the deck I use oil, floor and deck paint. For redoing a weathered and worn deck, built with pressure treated lumber, the Aubuchon in Moultonborough rents out a floor sander that is basically a large 12" x 12" finish sander that is good for redoing old painted or stained pt lumber decks which are not too far gone.

If I power-washed the wood shingles, it would probably tear them all apart, so you have to be carefull with a power washer.

So's what type of money do painters get for painting out on the islands, and do you ask to see their proof of insurance ?

The island painting biz probably slows down, just a little bit, for the month of December before picking up again in January! So, what do you call an island painter who is still working in January.......a very very slow paintuh.....lol

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-21-2008 at 09:18 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
You know with the stock market and especially the big dividend paying financials like CitiGroup and Washington Mutual all going to Hell, and my inability as a cdl-a truck driver w/ hazmat & tanker endorsements to get a driving job, could be I'll have to start looking for painting jobs so's I can pay my $750/month Meredith property tax.

Painting an entire house exterior has got to be a ton of hard physical work. Power washing, some scraping where needed, caulking, priming and painting is what the job's all about. I know because every year I do one side of my little cottage so the entire cottage gets repainted every four years. I can take my time and wait for the weather to be right. Last summer, the weather was wrong a lot more than it was right. I do all the windows, doors, and trim in oil semi-gloss, and all the shingles in latex opaque stain.

For the deck I use oil, floor and deck paint. For redoing a weathered and worn deck, built with pressure treated lumber, the Aubuchon in Moultonborough rents out a floor sander that is basically a large 12" x 12" finish sander that is good for redoing old painted or stained pt lumber decks which are not too far gone.

If I power-washed the wood shingles, it would probably tear them all apart, so you have to be carefull with a power washer.

So's what type of money do painters get for painting out on the islands, and do you ask to see their proof of insurance ?

The island painting biz probably slows down, just a little bit, for the month of December before picking up again in January! So, what do you call an island painter who is still working in January.......a very very slow paintuh.....lol
And your point is??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
wifi

Default Let me try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
And your point is??
He has a Democratic anti-business attitude, that he has to constantly remind us of and those broad based taxes he wants might push his property tax to someone else. That truck license, oh I remember that deal... Sounds like a short ad saying he knows how to paint, maybe someone will offer him a job where he can do push ups between strokes Miss anything ?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
Mink Islander

Default Please don't hijack this thread

Wifi, I may not always agree with FLL but find his frequently obtuse musings at times insightful, sometimes funny and other times mildly annoying. But he is who he is and those of us who've been on this forum a long time have figured out that not all his posts deserve a response.

However, it's really disappointing that you seem to think it's okay to turn this simple thread into a straight up personal attack on another forum member. Too often some of you think being mean-spirited towards others on this site is all in good fun. Well it's not.

If you know of a painter who works on the islands, I'd be interested in your recommendation....
Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Grady223

Default Dave Mollica

I would suggest Dave Mollica (569-6018) he has painted several house on Barndoor Island, including mine, and gets continuous raves. He is a teacher by profession and works after school is out.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote