Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
hancoveguy

Default cspa questions about tree counting

I just bought a site in a campground in Moultonboro and its within the 150 zone. I may need to remove a tree to swap out the travel trailer that is there for a park model. There are plenty of trees on the site but part of the site may be within the 50 ft range. Can anyone explain to me the point system and how it works and, assuming I follow it, what the probability will be of getting it approved? I have been on the DES website and find there environmental double speak difficult to translate ( I swear thats deliberate).

Well any help would be appreciated.
P.S. I am more than willing to replace any tree/sappling that is removed on the site, some are just poorly placed.

thanks
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default CSPA - section 483-B:9

Taken from the COMPREHENSIVE SHORELAND PROTECTION ACT, section 483-B:9:

Starting from the northerly or easterly boundary of the property, and working along the shoreline, the waterfront buffer shall be divided into 50 by 50 foot segments. Within each segment a minimum combined tree and sapling score of at least 50 points shall be maintained. If for any reason there is insufficient area for a full segment, the number of points required to be maintained in that partial segment shall be proportional to that required of a full segment.
(i) Tree and sapling diameters shall be measured at 4 1/2 feet above the ground and are scored as follows:

Diameter Score:
1 inch to 6 inches - 1 Point
greater than 6 inches to 12 inches - 5 Points
greater than 12 inches -10 Points

(ii) Dead, diseased, or unsafe trees or saplings shall not be included in scoring.
(iii) If the total tree and sapling score in any 50 foot by 50 foot segment exceeds 50 points, then trees and saplings may be removed as long as the sum of the scores for the remaining trees and saplings in that segment does not total less than 50 points. Trees and saplings may be removed from partial segments provided that the sum of the scores for the remaining trees and saplings in that partial segment is equal to or greater than the proportional point requirement.
(iv) The department may approve applications pursuant to RSA 482-A that include the planting of native trees and saplings as necessary to at least maintain either the existing combined tree and sapling score or the minimum score required. The department shall not approve any application that would result in a combined tree and sapling score less than the minimum score required where the segment initially meets the minimum score or would result in any reduction of the combined tree and sapling score where the segment does not initially meet the minimum score.
Pineedles (10-20-2008)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
dpg

They are kidding, right??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Onshore

If the tree you need to remove is not within 50 ft of the water, then don't worry about the point count that you have within 50 ft. If it is within 50 ft and you need to figure out the points for that one 50 ft segment, start by laying out the boundries of that segment. Once you know the boundries of the segment look at the trees that fall in that area. If you can identify 5 trees greater than 12" diameter in the segment, you've met the standard and can cut any other tree in the segment. The same can be said if you have 4 trees at 12" with 2 trees over 6", or 3 at 12" with 4 over 6". The idea is to define the limits of the area and pick out the tress you most want to keep. Identify trees that you want or may need until the sum total of the point values is 50. The rest can be removed. As bad as it may look on paper, it actually is pretty simple when you lay it out on site. If you need help call the Shoreland Program at (603) 271-2147.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
Gatto Nero (10-21-2008), Pineedles (10-20-2008)
Old 10-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #5
hancoveguy

thank you all for your input, but... I have more questions.
All of the above mentioned criteria is in regard to the cspa right? What about the town of Moultonborough? Does anyone know if I should plan on getting a hard time from the town? And, as a follow up, If the tree in question is not within the 50 ft but is within the 150 ft I can cut it down, with or without permits?

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
chipj29

Isn't the land owned by the campground? I would think that they would have to get the permits and permission required.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #7
hancoveguy

The campground went condo in the 90's. They own the common areas, we own the sites...
Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
Onshore

I think Moultonborough requires a permit in the first 150 ft but I'm not certain. Your best bet is to contact the town directly. Good luck. Please let us know what you find.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #9
hancoveguy

Just spoke with Don C (Moultonorough Building Insp.) told me that if the state (cspa) didn't require a permit for the first 150 ft the town didn't either. There is a tree in the way of the new park model and he told me I could remove it w/out permits from the town.

Also, I have been told that I did not need permits to swap out the actual living quarters only to build new structures on site. Anyone heard anything to the contrary?

thanks
Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Onshore

In order to say whether or not a CSPA permit is needed I need to know 2 things:

1. Will the home have the same foot print as the old home?
2. Will the placement involve any excavation or filling as part of the site preparation?

Whether or not you need a CSPA permit I strongly recommend that you contact the DES Subsurface Systems Bureau to determine whether or not you need any approval from them. Their rules changed significantly in Feb of 2008 particularly regarding changes to pre-existing structures.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
hancoveguy

Slightly larger foot print and no excavation
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
Onshore

Because there will be a slightly larger footprint you will need a CSPA permit.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
hancoveguy

THANK YOU,
Reviewing the permit checklist now. This is ridiculous... How complicated does this need to be? I was told by the town and everyone else I asked that a permit was not needed to swap out units. I have purchased a unit and it is being delivered in 20 days. This process will take me a month and then the permit takes 30 days to get approved... "I am up a wellknown tributary without a means of locomotion"...so to speak
Old 10-21-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Onshore

Call shoreland at DES tomorrow morning and ask to speak with D. Forst.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #15
hancoveguy

will do... thank you