Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Stone fireplace, tin liner needs repair

We have a beautiful 60 year old stone fireplace with a tin liner that is pulling away from the stone. We have tried to do some minor work ourselves but it really needs some attention from someone with experience with this type of fireplace. The damper was removed (or did it fall off?) about 10 or more years ago by the former owner and sits in the attic. The brick chimney also needs to be repaired or replaced. We are on Mirror Lake in Tuftonboro. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Audiofn

Did you mean flashing not liner? The liner is inside the chimney and I have never heard of one being made of tin before. They are ussually ceramic. The flashing can be tin, copper, lead.... Flashing you should easily be able to find some one to fix.

Jon
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Chimney tin lining

Audiofn- unfortunately, the chimney is lined with tin. I suppose it is due to its age. I asked a mason that was working in the neighborhood to look at it and he stated he could replace it but had never done this before. So, I do want to get the right person who has experience to help out.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Audiofn

WOW I have never heard of that.... There is a process they they do were they drop a inflatable bladder down your chimney. They then pour concrete around the thing and then once hard deflate the bladder. From what I understand it is by far the cheapest way to do this and fast as well. I wish I could refer you to some one but I am sure a good search will turn some one up.
Audiofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror Lake's BB View Post
Audiofn- unfortunately, the chimney is lined with tin.
By "tin", do you mean real "tin"—that's thin, silver, whose edge could cut you? Or "sheet metal iron", which is thick—like a hard-bound book cover? (Sheet steel that fireplace inserts like "Heatilator" once made).

Your damper should be made of much heavier metal than "tin", which wouldn't support the damper in the first place.

Facing an outside masonry repair anyway, it sounds like the whole thing needs an expensive do-over which would incorporate all new metal inside.

That said, there is a welder advertising roadside on Mountain Road (Rt. 171) towards Moultonboro from your locale: maybe he'd do a home visit with the portable welders made just for that purpose.

You could check with a hardware store like Bradley's in Wolfeboro, who sell replacement woodstove equipment and chimney sections.