Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #1
KBoater

Default Mt. Major

This is one for the hikers. I have been looking at topo maps of the Belknap Mountains and I find 2 references to Mt. Major. For years I have viewed the range from Wolfeboro and believed that Mt. Major is the highest peak. The topo map has a trail to Mt. Major but it looks like a higher peak is marked as Straightback Mountain. It also has an area at the bottom by the lake marked Mt. Major.

Which peak is the highest and where does the Mt. Major trail go?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Grant

Viewed from Wolfeboro, Major is the summit on the far left of the Belknaps. Gunstock, the ski area, is on the right and is recognizable by the network of ski trails.

Major is 1,786 feet high, with an elevation gain of about 1,100 feet. It's the most popular in the Belknaps because it has a rocky summit and the best views of the Lake. Belknap Mountain is the highest of the range, at 2,384

There is an extensive network or trails in the Belknaps. Here's a summary of the popular trails feeding Major:

Main Trail: Take the obvious woods road which leaves the R side of the parking lot as you face the mountain. There are blue blazes but you won't need them to follow the road. Almost within sight of the parking lot, the road forks; either fork is OK but make sure everyone in your party goes the same way if you don't want to waste much of the day looking for them. After the two rejoin, the blue blazes and the Main Trail turn left at another junction about .8 miles from the parking lot. The road becomes a footpath, often with several branches which usually rejoin. There are a number of rock slabs to ascend, and because this trail is on the N side and gets a lot of foot traffic, it may be the iciest route up in cold weather. The trail climbs over a small knoll then steeply up the rocks to the summit. Distance from parking lot: 1.8 miles.
On the return, look for blue blazes dropping off to the NE.
Brook Trail: Follow the Main Trail for .8 miles, then go straight following yellow blazes where the Main Trail turns L. After a dip, the trail follows an old road up along the brook - in wet weather some of the trail seems like a brook, and crossings may be difficult at times of high water. At the col between Straightback and Mt. Major, turn L on the blue-blazed trail to reach the summit. A route up from the S joins from the R shortly beyond. Distance from parking lot: 2.4 miles.
On the return, take the trail heading W toward Mt. Belknap, then go R at the col. Do not take the trail to Straightback Mtn., which does not lead "straight back" to the parking lot.
Boulder Loop: Take the faint snowmobile trail which leaves the L side of the parking lot as you face the mountain. Cross two small bridges within sight of the parking lot, then turn R up the bank next to a boulder and continue up an old woods road which is growing in. At .4 miles from the parking lot, turn R at a fork and switchback uphill. Then the road circles downhill to the L and finally becomes a trail. The trail ascends through a boulder field and comes out on ledges which it follows NW to the summit. Distance from parking lot: 1.8 miles.
On the return, follow the orange blazes along the ledges to the SE.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
pmj

Default shhhhhhhhhhh...

shhhhhhhhhhhh....The Boulder loop trail is a SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater
The topo map has a trail to Mt. Major but it looks like a higher peak is marked as Straightback Mountain. It also has an area at the bottom by the lake marked Mt. Major.

Mt. Belknap is the highest of the peaks in the Belknap Range (formerly called the Suncook Range.) The views from the top are phenomenal. There is a "carriage road" that gets you about 1/2 way up the mountain, complete with hairpin turns, that is quite exciting in itself! The Mount Major trail does indeed lead to Mt. Major and as Grant says it is quite a popular trail because of the great lake views. If you continue past the Mt. Major summit you will indeed end up on Straightback Mountain, which is higher, but not so much that you can see it from the big lake. Instead, Straightback Mt. has views of the Belknap Lakes; Hills Pond, Sunset, Crystal and the Suncook Lakes. dcr does a lot of hiking in the Belknaps and has posted some great photos.

Here's a link to hiking maps and access points in the Belknaps

BELKNAP RANGE HIKING MAPS

dcr photo of Mt. Major and Straightback from the big lake
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater
This is one for the hikers. I have been looking at topo maps of the Belknap Mountains and I find 2 references to Mt. Major. For years I have viewed the range from Wolfeboro and believed that Mt. Major is the highest peak. The topo map has a trail to Mt. Major but it looks like a higher peak is marked as Straightback Mountain. It also has an area at the bottom by the lake marked Mt. Major.

Mt Major is the "rock toppped" mountain, closest to Rte 11. Directly behind it is a flat topped mountain that is not as rocky looking, and that is Straightback mountain.

If you climb up Mt Major, you can go off the back side down the mountain, and you will come to a fork in the trail (a trail coming in from the right) and take that trail up to Straightback.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
KBoater

Thanks for all the info. As a arm chair hiker, you have brought my on me hike imaginey hike. My family climbed Mount Major last week. Mom, 1yr, 3yr, 5yr and 7yr.
Mom had quite a time on the way down carrying the 2 young ones.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Grant

That's a great mountain for the youngsters! In fact, I took my oldest (now 17) up Major for his "first" mountain trip when he was a little guy. The next year, we took the whole crew (6, 5, 5 & barely 1 at the time) up there. The next year, my wife carried the youngest up Chocorua in a backpack. They've all done that one a handful of times now, and we try to pick a new and different mountain every year. I used to do little solo "peak-bagging" trips in the Whites -- hitting 3-5 summits in a two-day period and camping between. I wanted to hit all 40-above-4000 in short order. Alas, kids put those ambitions on hold for a few years. But we've slowly gotten back into it, and the Sandwich Range has been a real treat -- close by, far less traveled than the Whites, and full of all sorts of great wildlife and sweeping views of both the Lake(s) and the Whites.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
jceria

Default Another FAMILY Hike

Mt Major has the best view of the lake for sure. Another easier family hike
(1/2 hour) is West Rattle Snake in Campton, it overlooks Squam Lake, ans also a fairly good view on the Winnipesaukee also.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
rick35

Default Easiest trail?

I'm planning on another hike to the top of Mt. Major and would like some help to determine what trail is the easiest. I may talk my wife into coming with me and would like to know what the trail options are. I found a post from Grant from 2006 that provides directions but it doesn't describe the conditions. Any help would be appreciated.

Another reason I've been thinking about Mt. Major is because of a story I saw on unionleader.com this week about an eight year old with a disability making the climb with the help of his classmates. There's a nice video piece with the story.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...e-814ed0ec6433
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
I'm planning on another hike to the top of Mt. Major and would like some help to determine what trail is the easiest. I may talk my wife into coming with me and would like to know what the trail options are. I found a post from Grant from 2006 that provides directions but it doesn't describe the conditions. Any help would be appreciated.
While the brook trail is longer, it is not as steep. Just take your time, enjoy the woods and the reward will come. Now would be a good time as we have had a dry period. There are some small brook crossings.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #11
MJM

Default Red Hill

We've done Mt Major many times over the many years, but this year went up Red Hill for the 1st time. We really enjoyed it, and the views from the top (especially from the fire tower) of both Winni and Squam are FANTASTIC.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
rick35

Default I agree!

Hiked up to the top of Red Hill today and I agree with MJM. The views are FANTASTIC! If you want a view of Winnipesaukee then Mt. Major is the way to go. But the 360 view from the fire tower is much more interesting with great views of Mt. Chocorua, Squam Lakes and Winni. I'm already planning my next vist to see the foliage.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
weim2

Thumbs up Bald Knob Hike

The last few week ends I have seen so many cars at Mt Major and West Rattlesnake! We did Bald Knob with NO crowds and the view is just as good. Why is everyone draw to the big crowded trail?
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #14
IslandRadio

I love the climb up, and the view from Mt. Major

Never climbed during the fall, but I bet this time of year the views are even better due to the low humidity and clear, blue sky. Will definitely be doing a climb before the snow (sorry for the 4 letter word) flies!
Below, view of Rattlesnake Island from atop Mt. Major on a somewhat hazy day.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #15
weim2

Smile Mt Major Hike

Don't get me wrong, I love to hike Mt Major and I have been doing it for 50 years. We used to park in the little pull off where 11D is. I went with my Dad,fond memories and look at our camp in Young's Cove. I still hike it often, but only when there are no crowds. I loved that Bald Knob hike.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #16
RI Swamp Yankee

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
... view of Rattlesnake Island from atop Mt. Major on a somewhat hazy day. ...
Nice picture.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #17
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Nice picture.
Thanks ! I've got to get a clearer picture without all the haze. Maybe Saturday - it's supposed to be nice. Somewhere I've got some pictures of Mt. Major as seen from atop "Rattlesnake Mountain" that are pretty clear.

Good time of year for hiking, for sure

Regards,

Steve
Old 09-27-2009, 08:59 AM   #18
IslandRadio

Here's a picture of Mount Major from the top of "Rattlesnake Mountain" (on Rattlesnake Island) taken Saturday 9/26/09 at about 12:30 in the afternoon. It was SUCH a nice day

Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #19
winni wanderer

Great photos!! Is there a way to hike up to the top of Rattlesnake,What i mean is there a place to park a boat .....or is it a who you know kind of thing.
winni wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #20
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni wanderer View Post
Great photos!! Is there a way to hike up to the top of Rattlesnake,What i mean is there a place to park a boat .....or is it a who you know kind of thing.
Paying for a for a Sikorsky to get your boat up there might be the first obstacle
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #21
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni wanderer View Post
Hmmmm.. I am not aware of any public docking on Rattlesnake Island (or any of the islands, actually - maybe Long Island - but I don't know). Although I do know of a house on Mark Island with a parking meter at the end of the dock!