Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Man hit by boat.

Scanner reports that a man has been struck by a boat, and has suffered a left leg injury, initial report said severe bleeding. Being taken by boat to a land location and being met by Moultonborough emergency units.

No other details.

Best thoughts to the injured party.
ishoot308 (08-24-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
PENIVISA

Lets hope and pray for all those involved
PENIVISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Sully

Just reported on WMUR News9 without details.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

http://www.wmur.com/news/moultonboro...aukee/34870070
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-23-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Default ..... the injury that won't go away?

That swimmer should be cited and fined for swimming without keeping a proper look-out. Hopefully, the swimmer has comprehensive liability coverage that includes him colliding with an outboard motor propeller, and polluting the public waters with his blood. Possibly, if the swimmer has no personal liability coverage, the swimmer should be concerned that he may need to hire and pre-pay an expensive defense attorney!

Maybe he was swimming the breast stroke, and the fisherman thought it was a small mouthed bass.....albeit a big small mouthed bass?

Almost nobody goes swimming in Lake Winnipesaukee except for CLOSE to shore. On a weekend, for every swimmer out there, there's probably 50-motorboats?

On a busy weekend, there's plenty areas where it's too busy with motor boats to go kayaking for fear of not being seen and getting hit....and the kayaks usually stay close to shore. In June, 2008, the Winnipesaukee speed limit was lowered from unlimited (no speed Limit) down to 45-mph in the daytime ....... and, as you probably know, drinking and boating go together pretty good......always have.....and always will.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-24-2015 at 10:56 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #6
GTO

Default wow, wow and wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
That swimmer should be cited and fined for swimming without keeping a proper look-out. Hopefully, the swimmer has comprehensive liability coverage that includes colliding with an outboard motor propeller, and polluting the public waters with his blood. Possibly, if the swimmer has no personal liability coverage, the swimmer should be concerned that he may need to hire and pre-pay an expensive defense attorney!
I almost hate to respond. You have a few intelligent posts and actually make a little sense and then you write something like this........
Blue Thunder (08-24-2015), bostique (08-27-2015), BroadHopper (08-24-2015), chipj29 (08-25-2015), DRH (08-24-2015), JTA (08-25-2015), mcdude (08-24-2015), SAB1 (08-24-2015), SAMIAM (08-24-2015), TiltonBB (08-24-2015), wifi (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
fatlazyless

.....yeah.....probably not one of my better posts......oh well, you know what they say.....mental illness strikes someone, every ten minutes .......arrrrggghhhhhh!

.....hmmmm......wonder how this incident happened?
Old 08-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #8
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.....yeah.....probably not one of my better posts......oh well, you know what they say.....mental illness strikes someone, every ten minutes .......arrrrggghhhhhh!

.....hmmmm......wonder how this incident happened?
I'll tell you how/why it happened: Because boater education in this State is a complete joke. Enough said.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I'll tell you how/why it happened: Because boater education in this State is a complete joke. Enough said.
So SPP, no details have been released but you are quick to blame boater education. Not sure if you or FLL has the most absurd post in this thread.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post
So SPP, no details have been released but you are quick to blame boater education. Not sure if you or FLL has the most absurd post in this thread.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or even a trained observer to see violation after violation. I firmly stand by my statement and position - Boater Education in NH is a joke. an even bigger joke is the fact that boat rental agents can issue a "temporary" certificate after a short quiz.

If the guy driving the boat saw the kayak, then he should have been 150' from the kayak, or he should have been going headway speed. I doubt that the swimmer was more than 150' from the kayak, and I would bet any amount of money that the driver of the boat was even aware of the 150' safe passage rule.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #11
DEJ

Default Thank you SPP.

Quote:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist, or even a trained observer to see violation after violation. I firmly stand by my statement and position - Boater Education in NH is a joke. an even bigger joke is the fact that boat rental agents can issue a "temporary" certificate after a short quiz.

If the guy driving the boat saw the kayak, then he should have been 150' from the kayak, or he should have been going headway speed. I doubt that the swimmer was more than 150' from the kayak, and I would bet any amount of money that the driver of the boat was even aware of the 150' safe passage rule.
For confirming my prior post.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEJ For This Useful Post:
Rusty (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #12
ITD

Boat hits swimmer in broad daylight = boater's fault. End of story. Be careful out there.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-25-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
Phantom

Quote:
If the guy driving the boat saw the kayak, then he should have been 150' from the kayak, or he should have been going headway speed. I doubt that the swimmer was more than 150' from the kayak, .
Normally I would agree -- but so happens that this past weekend, I actually was boating up the islands headed into the Jolly island passage where there was a boat (I guestimate) 400-500+ yards off my starboard side with all hands waving their arms-- my immediate reaction was they were in distress and I changed course towards them, when I observed a young boy in a life jacket with a young man with him about 500-600ft off their stern. Thinking they must have fallen overboard I then redirect towards the swimmers.

The morons in the boat were signaling to me that there was a swimmer in the water -- and the swimmers were no where near the boat .. and to compound it only one had a life jacket.

Quite frankly, if they had never waved me down, I would have passed a good 1,200+ ft away from them and probably would have never noticed the swimmers (as they were nowhere near my course)

POINT IS -- I'll wait for the MP report is issued before condemning the fishing boat or blaming it on the Boating Courses being a joke.

You all should too !!

AC2717 (08-25-2015), DEJ (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #14
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Boat hits swimmer in broad daylight = boater's fault. End of story. Be careful out there.
Probably true, but without knowing the facts and any mitigating circumstances surrounding this incident, I feel it wise to withhold judgement
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
DEJ (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #15
rsmlp

Quote:
gotta agree. pretty damn straight forward.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEJ View Post

For confirming my prior post.
It's my pleasure!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #17
Tank151

Quote:
Ah... lets wait for the facts. Swimmers have some responsibility to make themselves visible. Especially when they're away from shore...
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:29 PM   #18
NH_boater

Boater fault does not necessarily mean poor boater education.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #19
8gv

Even with zero details...what a horrible event for all involved.

Let's hope that an accident investigation will bring to light what changes in behavior can help prevent the next one.

For now, prayers for the injured and the others involved.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:40 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

My place on the lake happens to be in that area. I was not at the lake this weekend so I don't know anything, other then one of my neighbors was in the Kayak... I am sure I will get more details the next time I am at the lake.

My thoughts on the situation are the following:

1. Thank God it wasn't worse
2. broken limbs will mend
3. The Fishermen couldn't have been that dense, they where responsible for getting the swimmer back to shore...
4. People here making judgements with out all the facts are just being stupid

While I agree the Fishermen didn't keep a proper lookout, and I think even they will admit to that... until we understand all the geometries in play, (position of the Kayak in relation to the swimmer and fishing boat etc. ) we really have no way of passing judgement on what happened.
ishoot308 (08-25-2015), JPC (08-25-2015), Just Sold (08-25-2015), Newbiesaukee (08-25-2015), Phantom (08-25-2015), Rusty (08-25-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #21
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Maybe if the kayak was clearly displaying a diver down flag that may have kept the boater at a greater distance and thus avoid this kind of accident. At least with something like that displayed it gives anyone approaching by boat a warning to at least keep their eyes peeled for anyone in the water.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #22
Rich

Was there someone diving? Or were they just swimming?

IMHO don't think anyone should use a diver down flag unless there is someone actually diving.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (08-27-2015), upthesaukee (08-26-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #23
dpg

Quote:
So better education would of allowed the driver to see the swimmer? I just don't get it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:57 AM   #24
Winnisquamer

Thumbs down

Boater education in general is a joke. Your telling me you expect the fact I sat through a 6 hour conversation session with a nonsense power point presentation will make me not be an idiot on the water? You guys need to wake up thinking more rules and laws will weed out the idiots on the water.

Will never happen. You'll just see more people getting tickets and acting the same way as soon as marine patrol drives away.

Some times I wonder if this forum is just a bunch of disgruntled old folks that don't want to embrace any bit of change to realize its not 1980 anymore and people are going to actually enjoy themselves and do things like: anchor out front of your house and play music or pull tubes/wakeboards etc and you have to deal with it for your remaining years.

But then again since I took that boaters education class I am invincible to not hit anyone on the water because that 3x5 plastic card that says I am good to go really changes anything right.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
kbh (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 07:56 AM   #25
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
Boater education in general is a joke. Your telling me you expect the fact I sat through a 6 hour conversation session with a nonsense power point presentation will make me not be an idiot on the water? You guys need to wake up thinking more rules and laws will weed out the idiots on the water.

Will never happen. You'll just see more people getting tickets and acting the same way as soon as marine patrol drives away.

Some times I wonder if this forum is just a bunch of disgruntled old folks that don't want to embrace any bit of change to realize its not 1980 anymore and people are going to actually enjoy themselves and do things like: anchor out front of your house and play music or pull tubes/wakeboards etc and you have to deal with it for your remaining years.

But then again since I took that boaters education class I am invincible to not hit anyone on the water because that 3x5 plastic card that says I am good to go really changes anything right.
That little plastic card can't cure stupid, but it certainly removes all excuses for it.

The rest of your post about old folks and fun........ I think you are the disgruntled one, lol.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
bostique (08-27-2015), LIforrelaxin (08-27-2015), Resident 2B (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #26
Winnisquamer

Quote:
That little plastic card can't cure stupid, but it certainly removes all excuses for it.

The rest of your post about old folks and fun........ I think you are the disgruntled one, lol.
At what point do we stop catering to stupid?

I'm the one who spends mostly every day on the lake not complaining about anything and actually enjoying the lifestyle the Lakes Region has to offer.

I come here when I am not on the lake and see nothing but complaints about people doing exactly what you would expect them to do while on the lake.

Whine:
Don't anchor 200+' in front of my house
Don't pull a tube near my house
Your boat made a big wake by my house
The boat was too loud yesterday morning when you started it
The boat was going to fast according to my radar gun eyesight
Passing through a 50 foot channel wahh you weren't 150' away
Someone lit off fireworks at 8PM on a Friday night and 4th of July isn't for another 2 weeks how can I ban this!?
Blah my neighbors put out a swim raft and now I'm forced to have fun
eeeewww The lake has lake type stuff in it and its grosss

Wouldn't say disgruntled, I would say some of the stuff you guys & gals are complaining about is absolutely ridiculous. Why even bother living on the lake at that point? Move back to Mass with the rest of the over the top complainers, otherwise flag me down out there, we'll drag the kids around behind the boat and have a beer, just don't complain you don't like my beer choice.

Last edited by Winnisquamer; 08-27-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: nonsense
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (08-27-2015), CooperS7777 (09-06-2015), Descant (08-31-2015), Grandpa Redneck (08-27-2015), kbh (08-27-2015), mhtranger (08-28-2015), znh (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #27
Tired of Waiting

Default Really?

Quote:

I'm the one who spends mostly every day on the lake not complaining about anything and actually enjoying the lifestyle the Lakes Region has to offer.

I come here when I am not on the lake and see nothing but complaints about people doing exactly what you would expect them to do while on the lake.
I don't know! Maybe it's just me! But you seem to be the biggest complainer in this thread!

And you say you come here all the time when your not at the lake yet you just joined the forum?

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tired of Waiting For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (08-28-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #28
SIKSUKR

People see what they want to see. Is there more than enough complaining sure but forums almost always have more content of complaining than complimenting. Thats the way it is. There is plenty of great stuff on this forum, one just needs to recognize it rather than focus on the negative. My glass is way more than half full as is most members. I suggest you fill yours up.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #29
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
I don't know! Maybe it's just me! But you seem to be the biggest complainer in this thread!

And you say you come here all the time when your not at the lake yet you just joined the forum?

ToW
Yes you don't need to be a member to read a public thread.

Finally just joined because I am sick of reading nothing but complaints. Not worth the wasted time to respond to half the threads because I will get nonsense responses like this one. Instead it was just a read and forget. Use to get enjoyment out of this site when there was nice threads about new and old places to go and things to do now its just: see this thread on this subject or place and then read 10 complaints about the owners, the workers the people or how the locations are bad.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
GTO

Default moving right along....

Quote:
Yes you don't need to be a member to read a public thread.

Finally just joined because I am sick of reading nothing but complaints. Not worth the wasted time to respond to half the threads because I will get nonsense responses like this one. Instead it was just a read and forget. Use to get enjoyment out of this site when there was nice threads about new and old places to go and things to do now its just: see this thread on this subject or place and then read 10 complaints about the owners, the workers the people or how the locations are bad.
Things must be quite boring over on Lake Winnisquam. Maybe (somebody)there should start a forum......
Old 08-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #31
ursa minor

Quote:

Whine:
Someone lit off fireworks at 8PM on a Friday night and 4th of July isn't for another 2 weeks how can I ban this!?

Wouldn't say disgruntled, I would say some of the stuff you guys & gals are complaining about is absolutely ridiculous. Why even bother living on the lake at that point? Move back to Mass with the rest of the over the top complainers, otherwise flag me down out there, we'll drag the kids around behind the boat and have a beer, just don't complain you don't like my beer choice.

Welcome to the forum. Where are you on Lake Winnisquam? I might need a place to anchor after I get done tubing the kids behind my 40 foot Cahva that leaves a wicked big wake... Does that cover all bases? Wait, do you have a swim float we can use?

Last I checked this was a discussion on someone getting seriously hurt after getting hit by a boat. First and foremost should be concern for the individual that was injured; cause and blame are what they are and will be decided by those with the facts. Unfortunately accidents can happen to anyone, experienced or otherwise. Education training, etc. can be discussed in other threads, lets try to keep this one from being sent elsewhere.
Resident 2B (08-27-2015), Winnisquamer (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #32
Winnisquamer

Just the way we like it. Quiet and peaceful.

My intentions weren't to piss anyone off on here as I have been reading this forum for years. We all grew up on these lakes right? Just more of a, I miss the community feel the Lakes Region use to have. The older I get the less I see that and the more I see people real quick to bash places, people or things.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #33
kbh

Couldn't agree more, the lakes are certainly less friendly then they were back in the day! Still a wonderful place to spend time, but in general not the warm, friendly and welcoming feel that used to exist here...
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:11 PM   #34
ITD

Quote:

Whine:

Yeah, most people in this forum who live on the lake rarely complain. From what I see you have made just about the biggest complaint I have seen here........... just saying....... enjoy your beer.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #35
JPC

Default Wow!

And it's not even winter yet!
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #36
Tired of Waiting

Default But

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
And it's not even winter yet!
But it is getting cooler at night and the folks are warming up for cabin fever!

Now back to subject at hand.

Any word on report from MP?

ToW
Old 08-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #37
ITD

The sad truth about this is that it could happen to any of us and it would still be our fault. It's more apt to happen if you ignore the 150 rule. But I have seen lone swimmers far from shore and very difficult to see. You need to be vigilant at all times. People are out there, swimming and kayaking in places that I would not. They have every right to be there, but I think if most realized the danger they are putting themselves in they would be somewhere else.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (08-29-2015), LIforrelaxin (08-31-2015), Newbiesaukee (08-29-2015), paintitredinHC (08-31-2015), Resident 2B (08-29-2015), Tired of Waiting (08-29-2015), trfour (08-28-2015), ursa minor (08-28-2015), VitaBene (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #38
Tired of Waiting

Default It almost happend to me!!

Quote:
The sad truth about this is that it could happen to any of us and it would still be our fault. It's more apt to happen if you ignore the 150 rule. But I have seen lone swimmers far from shore and very difficult to see. You need to be vigilant at all times. People are out there, swimming and kayaking in places that I would not. They have every right to be there, but I think if most realized the danger they are putting themselves in they would be somewhere else.
I hate to agree cause it almost happened to me and I know I wasn't at fault.

I was leaving our dock on Berry Bay on the Ossipee lake chain. We had just gotten onto plane and I noticed a very small red item in the middle of the channel. I came off plane and putted over to it thinking it was a kids toy. To my surprise s was a man SNORKLING across the lake with no lookout boat! The red was the tip of the snorkel and that was all I could see.

I followed him until he reached shore and I told him how close he came to getting run over. All he replied was a belligerent " mind you own F-ing business" turned and walked away.

ToW
Old 08-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #39
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Heads of swimmers are very hard to see in the water. They blend so well.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #40
Orion

Default Snorkeler was at fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting View Post
I hate to agree cause it almost happened to me and I know I wasn't at fault.

I was leaving our dock on Berry Bay on the Ossipee lake chain. We had just gotten onto plane and I noticed a very small red item in the middle of the channel. I came off plane and putted over to it thinking it was a kids toy. To my surprise s was a man SNORKLING across the lake with no lookout boat! The red was the tip of the snorkel and that was all I could see.

I followed him until he reached shore and I told him how close he came to getting run over. All he replied was a belligerent " mind you own F-ing business" turned and walked away.

ToW
NH regs require a dive flag for snorkeling and snorkeler must remain within 75' of flag.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote