Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Skip

Post Blizzard saga continues...

Story is in numerous papers (Concord Monitor, Citizen, etc.) but this particular coverage is from the Union Leader.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
fatlazyless

She's look'n a lot better in her photo so probably her banged up facial bones are heeling up like they is supposed to. Usually, when someone looks better, they feel better too so that's good for her. The trial is now long time gone, the verdict was made and this latest boating license issue is strictly a small potatos issue. Possibly some type of community service like teaching Laconia 14-year olds how to waterski would be a more appropriate punishment?

The Laconia judge took the case under advisement which means he needs some time to write up a legal decision that will stand up to the examination of the defendant's legal council, James Moir.

What will happen, and will this decision get appealed to a higher court such as the five NH supremes?

Anyone know how tall is Erica?

And for the record, over in the Union Leader, that troll F.L.Less and myself are too totally seperate and unknown to one another people. F.L.Less is some type of whacko fruitloop who has been posting troll notes for over two years now using a pseudonym somewhat similar to mine.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-23-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Water Camper

Default Just Plain Mean

FLL you are just plain mean. You are Judge, jury, and hang man. Shame on you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
SAMIAM (12-26-2010)
Old 12-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
And for the record, over in the Union Leader, that troll F.L.Less and myself are too totally seperate and unknown to one another people. F.L.Less is some type of whacko fruitloop who has been posting troll notes for over two years now using a pseudonym somewhat similar to mine.
Really? Hmmm....whacko fruitloop. That sure sums it up nicely. Thanks.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
FLL you are just plain mean. You are Judge, jury, and hang man. Shame on you.
Excuse me, but what did I say that was mean? I said that she is looking better and that her banged up facial bones must be healing, which is very much a good thing for her. She was almost dead, and really took a hard hit to her face by striking the windshield while not wearing a seat belt because the boat probably did not have a seat belt so having a healthier look is definitely a good thing for her. Her friend Nicole, hit the same windshield and did not survive, so Erica is very fortunate to be alive don't you think?
Old 12-29-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
ApS

Question Just wonderin'...

How did Erica ever become President of a New Hampshire "safe-boaters" club?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Wasn't a WINNFABS founder's car involved in an accident involving an impaired driver
Old 12-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Wasn't a WINNFABS founder's car involved in an accident involving an impaired driver
It was either that or a PHWD violation (Polishing Halo While Driving).
Old 12-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
gtagrip

Quote:
Why should a fact like that matter?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Bearislandmoose

Default Operating while intoxicated

It's sad that we tend to minimize the seriousness and consequences of impaired operation of vehicles, whether cars, boats, or whatever. And we all do that to some degree. I had the below link sent to me a while back, and found it to be the most effective video I have seen at showing the evolution from "good people just having a good time" to the resulting tragedy that permanently destroys the lives of those good people and the lives of those they share the road (or lake) with.
Regardless of anyone's opinion on a Speed Limit or on how much anyone feels is ok to drink while or before operating a vehicle, I think this is a very valuable watch.
This is not an accusation towards anyone in particular, or meant to say that any accusations being made here are true, so there is no need for anyone to get defensive. I just felt that the topic of operating while intoxicated was being thrown around here like it is a casual offense, and needed to be put into perspective.
And no one should say that this is not just as relevant to boating as it is to driving a car.
Please stay safe next summer, whether we still have a speed limit or not. My grandkids will be out on the lake with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8
Old 12-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearislandmoose View Post
It's sad that we tend to minimize the seriousness and consequences of impaired operation of vehicles, whether cars, boats, or whatever. And we all do that to some degree. I had the below link sent to me a while back, and found it to be the most effective video I have seen at showing the evolution from "good people just having a good time" to the resulting tragedy that permanently destroys the lives of those good people and the lives of those they share the road (or lake) with.
Regardless of anyone's opinion on a Speed Limit or on how much anyone feels is ok to drink while or before operating a vehicle, I think this is a very valuable watch.
This is not an accusation towards anyone in particular, or meant to say that any accusations being made here are true, so there is no need for anyone to get defensive. I just felt that the topic of operating while intoxicated was being thrown around here like it is a casual offense, and needed to be put into perspective.
And no one should say that this is not just as relevant to boating as it is to driving a car.
Please stay safe next summer, whether we still have a speed limit or not. My grandkids will be out on the lake with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Z2mf8DtWWd8
BIM, I don't think anyone is downplaying the seriousness of BWI/DWI. However because of the prevalence of the offense (and no demographic is spared) that it gets more acceptance by our society. The reason why the US has not eradicated the offense is the whole BWI/DWI deal is a money racket for the police, prosecuter, judge, insurance company, driving school, DMV, state coffer, defense attorney, and correctional officers. So who in that food chain would want DWI to be eradicated?

Looks at other countries with much lower rates of DWI and you'll see the punishment is much more severe.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
ApS

Cool Devil's in the Details...

Quote:
1) Alas, that must have been me.

2) However, the other guy was the drunk driver—my car was parked and unoccupied—plus, I'm not a WinnFABS founder.

So, how did Erica ever become President of a New Hampshire "safe-boaters" club?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
lawn psycho

Quote:
1) Alas, that must have been me.

2) However, the other guy was the drunk driver—my car was parked and unoccupied—plus, I'm not a WinnFABS founder.

So, how did Erica ever become President of a New Hampshire "safe-boaters" club?
And how many WINNFAB members have ever been convicted or related to someone found guilty of drunk driving?

Last time I checked, Ms Blizzard was not found guilty of BWI. You may not like that result but them's the facts.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
ApS

Thumbs down SOME Will Downplay the Seriousness of BWI...

Quote:
Last time I checked, Ms Blizzard was not found guilty of BWI. You may not like that result but them's the facts.

You're not outraged that a known factor like Erica could convince enough of Lake Winnipesaukee's "safe-boaters" to vote her President?

Quote:
And how many WINNFAB members have ever been convicted or related to someone found guilty of drunk driving?
Or, might have rented a house to them?

Or, skiied—or played tennis with them?

Waitaminnit!

What happened to founders?

Anyway, regarding fatalities, WinnFABS members rank far below that "safe-boating-President" Erica Blizzard.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
fatlazyless

hey....when it comes to jury verdicts.....some people are just lucky....and get a friendly jury or something........remember that O J Simpson guy down in Los Angeles....... anyone?
Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #16
Yankee

Quote:
hey....when it comes to jury verdicts.....some people are just lucky....and get a friendly jury or something........remember that O J Simpson guy down in Los Angeles....... anyone?
yes, and some people are just called "whacko fruitloops" .......

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
lawn psycho

Quote:
You're not outraged that a known factor like Erica could convince enough of Lake Winnipesaukee's "safe-boaters" to vote her President?
[/I].
I notice in your previous post you mentioned BWI. Too my knowledge Ms Blizzard has never been convicted of BWI/DWI.

Psst: I am taking my wife for a nice dinner and staying the night at an Inn in Durham, NH tonight for New Year's eve. We'll even have several drinks. Ohhhhh the HORRORS!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:40 AM   #18
ApS

Angry Playing-Around with the Seriousness of BWI/DWI...

Quote:

Quote:
To my knowledge Ms Blizzard has never been convicted of BWI/DWI.
You're not outraged that a known factor like a President of a "safe boating" club was never convicted of BWI/DWI?

Old 01-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
lawn psycho

Quote:
You're not outraged that a known factor like a President of a "safe boating" club was never convicted of BWI/DWI?
I wasn't on the jury. I didn't sit through the trial and only got sparse info from Winni.com Regardless of what you and I may think, the justice system resulted in Ms Blizzard not being convicted of BWI.

In my opinion, the laws are set-up in the country to condone DWI/BWI. Like I have posted many times, it's a money making industry for a lot of people. We could nearly eradicate the offense with very stiff fines and penalties so people would shake in their boots at the thought of getting caught. Follow the money.

You also seem to have it in for Ms Blizzard. I could care less about her and I doubt she's living the life of luxury that you think she is. She's got a felony police record the for the rest of her life, had to spend time in jail of which one day would be too much for me, and she has to deal with all the fallout from the accident.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #20
VtSteve

Everyone is outraged when they hear of yet another boating accident caused by an impaired driver. It happens all year, every year, particularly at night. It happens at slow speeds, higher speeds, big boats, small boats, you name it.

Many of us brought up the drinking in both infamous Winni accidents, many times. Most everytime we brought up BUI as a major problem, WINNFAB supporters and member alike told us about speeding and the speed limit bill. Even as the speeds of the boats in question were brought to light, they yelled all the more for a speed limit.

Now we have those same people harping about BUI. They try to insinuate, or flat out say, that it's still this one group of people doing all the drinking. It's blatantly obvious to me that that group still hasn't moved from a one-topic, selfishly motivated discriminatory issue, to the real issues of safety.

Even APS comes up with a nagging concern that some of us weren't/aren't outraged. Interesting as it would be to review his posts concerning BUI in the heat of battle during those accident threads, why bother? Suffice it to say, those opposed to the SL thought both boaters were intoxicated, used terrible judgment, and would have been involved in those very same accidents, SL or no SL.

The real trouble comes when people that don't use any facts or wisdom while suggesting or promoting rules and new laws, start misrepresenting the facts, or just create some of their own. Perhaps it's time to start working on real solutions, not just things that don;t go past your own noses?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #21
ApS

Question Impaired Presidents Get Winnipesaukee's Votes...?

Quote:
Psst: I am taking my wife for a nice dinner and staying the night at an Inn in Durham, NH tonight for New Year's eve. We'll even have several drinks. Ohhhhh the HORRORS!!!!!!!!!
No "horrors" at all—congratulations—in fact!

Just as Erica did—amply —you have met the prime prerequisite to become President of a "safe-boaters" club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
Everyone is outraged when they hear of yet another boating accident caused by an impaired driver. It happens all year, every year, particularly at night...Many of us brought up the drinking in both infamous Winni accidents, many times. Most everytime we brought up BUI as a major problem, WINNFAB supporters and member[s] alike told us about speeding and the speed limit bill. Even as the speeds of the boats in question were brought to light, they yelled all the more for a speed limit.
1) When were any of those fatal-crash-boats NOT oversized?

2) When were any of those fatal-crash-speeds NOT excessive?

3) On at least the five fatal occasions I can recall on Lake Winnipesaukee, each was going too fast and each was oversized.

4) So because of various meanderings far away from "safe boaters", my weighty question remains neglected and unanswered:

Quote:
Hundreds of members reading this forum, and nobody knows???
Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #22
gtagrip

[QUOTE=Acres per Second;147156]
1) When were any of those fatal-crash-boats NOT oversized?

Can you show me in any NH RSA's for Lake Winni where the description of what oversize boat is?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gtagrip For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-03-2011), Skip (01-03-2011), VitaBene (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Undersized Hats

Quote:

4) So because of various meanderings far away from "safe boaters", my weighty question remains neglected and unanswered:

Hundreds of members reading this forum, and nobody knows???
Your question remains unanswered because you are the only one who cares.

Regarding the issue of oversized boats; is the Mount oversized? Is your 23 foot boat oversized?

Tell an island resident that their 27' Pursuit is oversized on a rainy, windy night when they are headed home for the weekend. Something is oversized when it won't fit in its intended location (hey that 5/16" bolt is oversized for that 1/4" nut).

I think you have worn too many undersized hats in your day.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-03-2011), chipj29 (01-04-2011), gtagrip (01-04-2011), ishoot308 (01-03-2011), Skip (01-03-2011), Sue Doe-Nym (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #24
chipj29

Quote:
No "horrors" at all—congratulations—in fact!

Just as Erica did—amply —you have met the prime prerequisite to become President of a "safe-boaters" club.
I seem to ask you this question a LOT. But, I will ask you once again. What is wrong with going out and having some alcoholic beverages? He stated that he is spending the night there. He is not driving home, and he is not getting in a boat either. He is spending the night.

Just because you may not drink alcohol does not mean that others cannot enjoy it in the way they see fit (as long as it is within the realm of the law of course).
gtagrip (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #25
ApS

Default A Cult's Culture...

Maybe you missed this article:

Offshore, a new focus on safety

The push is on to curtail drinking and boating

In a state historically known for resistance to regulation, New Hampshire legislators turned heads this month when they voted to impose speed limits on the state’s biggest lake, Lake Winnipesaukee. Now, boaters will be restricted to traveling no faster than 45 miles per hour by day and 30 miles per hour at night.

The move comes after a number of highly publicized boating fatalities...

In the aftermath of the tragedies, public calls have gone out across the region for greater safety on waterways, where boats whiz along at higher and higher speeds and drunken boating increasingly is viewed as a scourge and not a summer rite.

“Tolerance is getting lower,’’ said John Fetterman, director for law enforcement for the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators. “As the technology pushes these things faster and faster, there is a public demand for safety.’’

...boating fatality figures still hover in the double digits in a number of states...

Coast Guard officials say that alcohol remains the leading contributing factor to boating fatalities.

Now, many say the time has come to further lower the numbers.

Law enforcement has responded with aggressive patrols despite dwindling budgets.

A challenge to reining in drinking and boating lies in the ubiquity of the practice. While a captain may not pilot a boat and drink alcohol, alcohol is allowed on boats — with some exceptions, such as in state parks in Massachusetts.

Also, excessive use can be difficult to detect on the water, where some traditional field sobriety tests — like walking in a straight line — are unusable, officials say.

More difficult to break is the cultural acceptance of drinking and boating.

“It’s summertime, people are out with friends and family and they look at the boat as a social setting.’’ So they grab a beer as they captain a boat.

“We still see people driving a boat and as you drive by, they tuck it under the gunnel — so you know that people know that it’s illegal,’’ Baker said.

In Massachusetts, a first offense “BUI’’ is punishable by up to 30 months in jail and a fine of $1,000; an offender may have his or her motor vehicle license suspended.

Some say that stiff laws and stepped-up enforcement have changed attitudes, but not enough.

“It used to be OK to drink and drive for the jolly old boys. These days, if you get caught there is a stigma now,’’ said Sergeant Alan Gillis of Maine’s Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Warden Service.

“We’re not quite at that point with boating. A guy takes his boat out and has a beer and it doesn’t have that stigma, but it’s going in that direction.’’

In Maine, new demands went up for heightened boating safety after a 32-foot speedboat, named No Patience, slammed into a 14-foot fiberglass motorboat on Long Lake in 2007, slicing it in half and killing Raye Trott and his girlfriend, Suzanne Groetzinger...

LaPointe’s speedboat was going so fast it flew out of the water and landed 130 feet in the woods.

A blood test showed that LaPointe’s blood alcohol content was 0.11 percent three hours after the crash. Maine’s legal limit to operate a boat or a motor vehicle is 0.08 percent.

A jury convicted LaPointe on two counts of aggravated operating under the influence, but deadlocked on the more serious charge of manslaughter. He is serving a three-year prison sentence.

New England states require varying degrees of boating education. Massachusetts only requires it for operators between the ages of 12 and 15 who drive boats without adult supervision. New Hampshire requires training for people 16 and over who operate boats with more than 25 horsepower.

Speed laws are also a patchwork in New England — even within states. In Massachusetts, the limit is 45 miles per hour on inland waterways, except on certain bodies of water such as Lake Quinsigamond, which has lower limits, said Lieutenant Merri Walker of the Massachusetts Environmental Police.

In New Hampshire, a state that prides itself on its libertarian leanings, where motorcyclists may ride without helmets, the fight over speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee became a pitched battle, running some six years in the Legislature.

“Some people wanted to be able to go as fast as they wanted to,’’ said Portsmouth state Senator Martha Fuller Clark, the prime sponsor of the speed limit legislation. “But there are people who kayak, who have felt intimidated by these boats going very fast.’’

Opponents argued that the state already limited boats to very slow speeds when near swimmers, other boats, or docks. They also argued that new limits would deter out-of-state boaters and hurt tourism.

But the bill enjoyed public support, in part galvanized by the Blizzard case.

Blizzard, as head of New Hampshire Recreational Boaters Association, had testified before the Legislature against speed limits for Lake Winnipesaukee.

Two months later, she and two friends had dinner and cocktails at a restaurant and then piloted across the lake...

They were traveling back across the lake when the boat hit a ledge. She was convicted on March 18 and later sentenced to at least six months imprisonment.

Sarah Schweitzer can be reached at schweitzer@globe.com.

© Copyright 2010 Globe Newspaper Company.
Single Page 1 2

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...cus_on_safety/
Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #26
lawn psycho

APS, can you use your own words instead of cutting and pasting?
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #27
VtSteve

It's nice to have you on the same page now APS, in regards to BUI. Just a cursory review of the old debates reveals that BUI was not a highlight of WINNFABS campaign, nor any of their supporters. Certainly not all accidents on the water are a result of impaired driving, but a huge percentage are.

Many of us suggested that the primary primary focus of enforcement should be to focus on;

1) reckless and dangerous boaters

2) BUI

Sometimes, the two go hand in hand.

WINNFAB supporters were furious when I pointed out;1)the relative low speed of the accidents they harped on but 2) The obvious impairment of the person piloting the boats that caused the accidents.

I'm not prejudice at all on the water. I think anyone, in any boat, regardless of size or speed, should have action taken against them if they engage in impaired driving or any manner of reckless activity that endangers others.

While some disagree, I still believe that last decade's two most infamous accidents would have occurred if the speed limit law was in place. Both accidents occurred (IMO), because of the bad judgement on the part of the skippers. Whether their bad judgment began in a bar, or out on the lake, it still boils down to what they personally are responsible for.

I also believe that if people had focused their outrage on the how and why of these accidents, safety on the lake would be even better than it is today. Instead of grudges, selfishness, and whatever personal agendas exist, real problems are left to deal with.

I don't care whether a drunk is in a 19' bowrider or a 50' catamaran, both drivers need to be stopped, and both need to be escorted off the lake and away from everyone else.

APS, this is a quote that has been repeated many times by some of us. Do you like it now?

Coast Guard officials say that alcohol remains the leading contributing factor to boating fatalities.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #28
Seaplane Pilot

[QUOTE“Some people wanted to be able to go as fast as they wanted to,’’ said Portsmouth state Senator Martha Fuller Clark, the prime sponsor of the speed limit legislation. “But there are people who kayak, who have felt intimidated by these boats going very fast.’’QUOTE]

Let's be clear: Martha "FULL-OF-IT" Clark is now the FORMER State Senator. Ya hear that? FORMER. The voters were sick of her BS and fired her sorry butt. Maybe next time she'll focus on issues that matter, instead of focusing on lies and fabrications in order to push WINNFABS' agenda through. Unfortunately, there are more where she came from so they are next on the list to go.

Last edited by Seaplane Pilot; 01-05-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Fixed a spelling error before APS caught it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (01-11-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #29
VtSteve

I'd be far more intimidated knowing that while the MP is holding a radar gun out by Bear Island, some drunken nutjob is out in Paugus Bay going 28 mph in his little bowrider, not paying attention, and heading for my family's boat

I remember reading a story about a home invasion going on right down the street from where a cop was in his cruiser in a speed trap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-05-2011), hazelnut (01-06-2011), LIforrelaxin (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #30
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
I'd be far more intimidated knowing that while the MP is holding a radar gun out by Bear Island, some drunken nutjob is out in Paugus Bay going 28 mph in his little bowrider, not paying attention, and heading for my family's boat

I remember reading a story about a home invasion going on right down the street from where a cop was in his cruiser in a speed trap.
Unfortunately these are sad truths... I think something that people forget when they think about implementing new laws, is that another law to enforce, with out an increase in enforcement capabilities, means less time is spent on the already existing laws. Unfortunately the New Hampshire Marine Patrol hasn't gotten any additional funding since the speed limit was enacted. So while they might be able to crack down on "speeders", they can't be doing other things like Patrolling busy congested areas where speed is not a factor, but keeping safe and prudent control of your vessel is.....
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #31
tc_mike

Quote:
I'd be far more intimidated knowing that while the MP is holding a radar gun out by Bear Island, some drunken nutjob is out in Paugus Bay going 28 mph in his little bowrider, not paying attention, and heading for my family's boat .
There are a number points that are made from both sides of this issue that I don't agree with. However, this point is one that I agree with completely. This is the biggest (only?) problem that I have with the speed limit. In my opinion, it takes safety enforcement resources away from the real man-made dangers on the lake.

Personally, I have no desire to go above the speed limit anyhow. It's just that I never felt threatened by boats going fast.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #32
VtSteve

Thanks Mike. Certainly everyone has their own take and opinions on every issue, this one is no different.

There are some idiots that go real fast, and some idiots that don't or can't go real fast. Bottom line, we need to limit the number of idiots we all have to contend with on the water. Arrogance and stupidity are not defined by boat type or size, it comes in a variety of flavors.

A top down approach is to first scale up the assault on BUI. It's a safety issue that hardly anyone is against. I have stories to tell there, as I'm sure anyone that's been on the water for years does as well.

Better to unite behind a real problem than create a solution for a problem that never existed.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #33
ApS

Exclamation Holy Cow!!! Is This a Bigger Winnipesaukee Story than even Erica's?

Quote:
Arrogance and stupidity are not defined by boat type or size, it comes in a variety of flavors.

A top down approach is to first scale up the assault on BUI. It's a safety issue that hardly anyone is against. I have stories to tell there, as I'm sure anyone that's been on the water for years does as well.
1) I last called for such an assault HERE just three days ago.

2) To see boating arrogance for yourself, you need to scan SOS entries—those that haven't yet been "scrubbed".

3) The so-called "assault on Lake Winnipesaukee's BWI" isn't yet out of the box...and a hugely-revealing disclosure has—only yesterday—appeared on the Internet that needs some serious addressing.

This is really HUGE!

VtSteve—you need to promptly re-visit that local website today and give us your "best spin" on it!

(VtSteve, you could bring the Internet to a halt—so please don't link to it!!!)

Last edited by ApS; 01-10-2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: VtSteve added—as a participant of that local website. Where is VtSteve?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #34
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
1) I last called for such an assault HERE just three days ago.

2) To see boating arrogance for yourself, you need to scan SOS entries—those that haven't yet been "scrubbed".

3) The so-called "assault on Lake Winnipesaukee's BWI" isn't yet out of the box...and a hugely-revealing disclosure has—only yesterday—appeared on the Internet that needs some serious addressing.

This is really HUGE!

You need to promptly re-visit that local website today and give us the "best spin" on it!

(You could bring the Internet to a halt—so please don't link to it!!!)

Here is the "YAWN"symbol:
Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #35
Belmont Resident

Default liforrelaxin

Since the speed limit has been implemented the MP was cut $750,00.00 which was transferred to the general fund.
At least that is what I was told, weather it is truth or not I’m not sure.
More work less funding?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #36
classic22

Default MP funding

Belmont resident, you are absolutely correct. Less funding means less time spent by the marine patrol doing what they do best, and now ask them to do something else like monitoring speed limits could actually create a situation where they are not available to respond in a timely manner to an actual safety emergency on the water.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #37
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Maybe you missed this article:

Offshore, a new focus on safety
The push is on to curtail drinking and boating

(Article text removed for clarity and because APS only pastes what he WANTS you to see! PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK (or the www.boston.com link below) to read the complete, un-expurgated version.)

Sarah Schweitzer can be reached at schweitzer@globe.com.

© Copyright 2010 Globe Newspaper Company.
Single Page 1 2

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...cus_on_safety/
APS, I'm getting caught up on the various boating threads and I can't help but notice, considering how much of that Boston.com article you cut and pasted, I find it interesting you completely ignored this paragraph (quoted below for those that didn't read the entire article);

Quote:
Observers say that two key moves could dramatically decrease boating fatalities: increased use of life jackets and boating education. According to Coast Guard data, two-thirds of victims in boating fatalities drown, and only 10 percent of deaths occurred on boats where the operator had received boating safety instruction.
Was that just an oversight on your part or did you intentionally skip it because it doesn't mention speed limits as a key issue?? Knowing your penchant for cutting and pasting, I'd have to guess it was intentionally ignored! Not surprising coming from you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wolfeboro_Baja For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-11-2011), hazelnut (01-11-2011), Seaplane Pilot (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #38
fatlazyless

Would Gov Lynch have vetoed the Winni speed limit law if Erica did not have that fatal accident/non-accident on June 15, 2008?

That's probably a question which will never get an answer? Union Leader political columnist Tom Fahey had written that a veto was in the works so probably his state house, insider sources were telling him that, but only Gov Lynch really knows?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-11-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: columNist!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #39
Rusty

Quote:
Would Gov Lynch have vetoed the Winni speed limit law if Erica did not have that fatal accident/non-accident on June 15, 2008?

That's probably a question which will never get an answer? Union Leader political columist Tom Fahey had written that a veto was in the works so probably his state house, insider sources were telling him that, but only Gov Lynch really knows?
The same day of the accident this is what Tom Fahey said in the Union Leader:

State House Dome: Bariatric surgery, Winni limits ripe for veto

"By TOM FAHEY
State House Bureau Chief
Sunday, Jun. 15, 2008
A LOT OF BILLS will go across Gov. John Lynch's desk, but few will rise to the level of a veto.
Two considered ripe for the stamp are a bariatric surgery bill and one that sets up a two-year speed limit on Lake Winnipesaukee.The boat-speed bill, HB 847, sets teeth on edge for both sides of the argument, which has raged for years on state lakes and in Concord. Boaters say enforcement, not speed limits, is the key to safety. Property owners and small -boat owners say limits are long overdue. The bill would apply only to the big lake for 24 months, from Jan. 1, 2009, to 2011. Votes on the bill are always close. We'll see how the "live free or die" argument plays out
."

So In My Honorable Opinion, we can all thank Erica Blizzard for the Speed Limit Law.

Last edited by Rusty; 01-11-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Added comment at end of post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-12-2011), fatlazyless (01-11-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #40
ApS

Exclamation Avoid This Area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeboro_Baja View Post
I find it interesting you completely ignored this paragraph (quoted below for those that didn't read the entire article);

Quote:
Observers say that two key moves could dramatically decrease boating fatalities: increased use of life jackets and boating education. According to Coast Guard data, two-thirds of victims in boating fatalities drown, and only 10 percent of deaths occurred on boats where the operator had received boating safety instruction.
Was that just an oversight on your part or did you intentionally skip it because it doesn't mention speed limits as a key issue?? Knowing your penchant for cutting and pasting, I'd have to guess it was intentionally ignored! Not surprising coming from you.
1) I intentionally ignored it, as the article was already very long.

2) "Boating education" was omitted because most of Lake Winnipesaukee's moving violations are of New Hampshire-specific RSAs. I originally missed this older article because it appeared in Massachusetts—where...um...well, you know...

3) I also ignored it because the vast majority of "life jackets" sold today are stamped inside with this disclosure:

... Not tested above 50-MPH...

Everyone who—drunk or sober—chooses to exceed Winnipesaukee's speed limits is presently protecting themselves with $300 top-flight PFDs—am I not correct?

The "life jackets" issue is therefore also irrelevant.

4) If you don't like debates and arguments, you should avoid this area!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #41
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
1) I intentionally ignored it, as the article was already very long.
So long you had to cut out one of the more important points mentioned in the article?? How convenient!

Quote:
2) "Boating education" was omitted because most of Lake Winnipesaukee's moving violations are of New Hampshire-specific RSAs. I originally missed this older article because it appeared in Massachusetts—where...um...well, you know...
Regarding the bold-printed text, isn't that ALL THE MORE REASON that boater education is important in New Hampshire??? The article may have appeared in a Mass.-based website but N.H. boating was mentioned several times in the article.

Quote:
I originally missed this older article because it appeared in Massachusetts—where...um...well, you know...
NO, I don't know! The importance of boating safety and boating fatalities are the same everywhere, only the laws differ from state to state.

Quote:
When did I ever say I don't like debates and arguments??? Making stuff up again, I see. Perhaps you should avoid this area.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #42
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

If you don't like NH's year round weather, you should avoid this area.

If you don't like what NH is today, you should avoid this area.

I live here year round all my life and I like the way NH is now. I don't like the way it is becoming. A metropolis of the Southerners who move up here.

I suggest you stay in Florida if you like it so much done there.

Don't tell me what I can do in my backyard.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #43
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Don't tell me what I can do in my backyard.
This just reminded me of a well known ordinance in Norfolk, Virginia. (Circa 1963) It's called "Drinking in Public" and is NOT tolerated. Having a beer in your own backyard is a No No. If someone can see you doing it..You are in Violation of the law. and will be sited. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 01-12-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #44
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
This just reminded me of a well known ordinance in Norfolk, Virginia. (Circa 1963) It's called "Drinking in Public" and is NOT tolerated. Having a beer in your own backyard is a No No. If someone can see you doing it..You are in Violation of the law. and will be sited. NB
Right! That kind of Nanny law is wrong. Do we want to return to these same kind of laws? Resist the feel good laws. If someone tries to setup their own utopia by enacting laws that they think make their life better, eventually someone will make a law that objects to you enjoying your life. It all comes down to the following:

Be careful what you wish for.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #45
fatlazyless

"State House Dome: Bariatric Surgery, Winni limits ripe for veto"

So, how come no opinions or comments on this headline and opinion article by the long time Union Leader political columnist, Tom Fahey?

This article was probably written the day before the June 15 Diamond Island smash-up took place and the newspaper probably hit the streets of New Hampshire about the same time that Erica's Formula hit the granite ledge on Diamond Island.

What could Gov Lynch have been thinking at the time in terms for a reason to veto the Winni speed limits? He had previously opposed a NH mandatory seat belt law for adults age 18+ and that seat belt bill never made it through the senate, but did make it through the house.

Have to wonder which way the Gov would have gone? Only he knows and he's not talking! Just have to wait 15-years till he writes his autobiography titled "The Long Serve: NH's Longest Serving Gov'nor" to get the real-deal inside story on his Winni speed limits veto......except for a certain unexpected event?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #46
Yankee

Default why bother

First of all FLL, it isn't a headline. It is Mr. Fahey's opinion...I have mine as well and it is worth no more than his. Second, there are those who post on this forum that frequently submit their opinion to the local news rags and them claim such as facts. Are you too, attempting to use a local opinionists views as fact?

Pathetic, really.

. . .Evidently nothing.