Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2023, 06:03 AM   #1
targabill

Default BackBay in Wolfeboro

Hi All,
I have an opportunity to use a dock this coming summer in the Back Bay of Wolfeboro and I was wondering if anybody knows the area.. What is the water quality like, is it good for swimming, clear water, boating. I see it a bit shallow!!

Thanks much,
-Bill
targabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:57 AM   #2
chachee52

Not sure about the swimming part, I've never seen people swimming back there, but they used to have a ski course and jump back in the day, and I wouldn't see why you can't swim there.
I haven't been back there in years because of the bridge. So you have to make sure your boat will be able to get out of the bay. Last time I went back we had a 17 ft 4-Winns and at high water there were times that I was a couple inches from the wind shield.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
stingray (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 07:32 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

They do waterski back there so they are swimming. Back Bay has never been noted for its cleanliness as it used to have a lot of the town sewer in it in past days. I would not swim there but it has improved. They used to have a lot of milfoil and have been treating that so not sure how bad it is now.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:30 AM   #4
TheTimeTraveler

I think the biggest obstacle to the Back Bay is the bridge. Just be sure to use it during low tide so you have better clearance
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 09:00 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

It's not "good boating" back there, nor would I classify it as a good place to swim.

It's a nice place to dock, though, as it's much more protected than the main bay and there's lot of good boating/swimming not far from there.

The key is whether you'll be able to access it (with the bridge) reliably.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
The Real BigGuy

The bridge actually presents 2 issues. First, the water to bridge height others have mentioned. Second, the water depth under the bridge at low water in the fall. It cost me a prop (while trimmed up) a number of years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
targabill (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 12:11 PM   #7
targabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
They do waterski back there so they are swimming. Back Bay has never been noted for its cleanliness as it used to have a lot of the town sewer in it in past days. I would not swim there but it has improved. They used to have a lot of milfoil and have been treating that so not sure how bad it is now.
Thanks,
OK, The sewer thing doesn't sound like fun, But that must of been 30-40+ years ago?? And there is a river feeding it by the Old Mill,Falls. So you would think that's been flush out by now!! No Pun!!

There was also some property Back there I was thinking about??
Old 01-29-2023, 12:37 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by targabill View Post
Thanks,
OK, The sewer thing doesn't sound like fun, But that must of been 30-40+ years ago?? And there is a river feeding it by the Old Mill,Falls. So you would think that's been flush out by now!! No Pun!!

There are areas in and around the back bay that were so polluted they had to fill it in. To this day areas around some of the walking trails cannot be excavated due to the possible release of contaminants…

Dan
Attached Images

ApS (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 02:52 PM   #9
targabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
There are areas in and around the back bay that were so polluted they had to fill it in. To this day areas around some of the walking trails cannot be excavated due to the possible release of contaminants…

Dan
Thanks, Kinda deflated my thinking about buying a house back there!! It also seams what ever pollution in the water is flowing out to Wolfeboro Bay as there is a pretty significant river flow into the Back Bay..

I appreciate the comments and History Lesson..
Old 01-29-2023, 04:40 PM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Swimming?

Several years ago (2016?) I watched a dive team working near the town docks in Back Bay removing milfoil with a DASH boat. Water quality didn't seem to be a concern. There was a Selectwoman in a kayak with them to pick up any stray fragments. I think milfoil grows better in a silt bottom than rocky or sandy, and I understand there is a certain amount of residue (sawdust?) from the mill.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:52 PM   #11
targabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Several years ago (2016?) I watched a dive team working near the town docks in Back Bay removing milfoil with a DASH boat. Water quality didn't seem to be a concern. There was a Selectwoman in a kayak with them to pick up any stray fragments. I think milfoil grows better in a silt bottom than rocky or sandy, and I understand there is a certain amount of residue (sawdust?) from the mill.
Hmm, Does anybody know "Who" water quality/tester type person I might call to get the real lowdown on how the water quality is now?
Old 01-29-2023, 05:06 PM   #12
tis

Quote:
Thanks,

I don't think they actually had the town sewer run in there but I think there was a pipe under the water and people said it often leaked or whatever. I would think now it has to be much cleaner. If you can afford a house out on the main lake I would buy there. But if not, Back Bay does give you access to the lake and it's pretty to look at. I can tell you it's much improved from what it was and I think it will get better. In the old days in back of Harvest Market was the old dump.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:31 PM   #13
webmaster

Thanked 3,691 Times in 819 Posts

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:57 PM   #14
WinterHarborGuy

Default Backbay

Summer of 2021, most boats that dock in Backbay couldn’t get under the bridge due to very high water levels. As I recall, it was a problem for a good 2/3 (?) of the season.

I have a friend who pulled his boat from his slip and trailered it that season. I assume that was common. I think he has a 21’ bow rider.
WinterHarborGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:46 PM   #15
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Hmm, Does anybody know "Who" water quality/tester type person I might call to get the real lowdown on how the water quality is now?
Your best bet may be to take a bottle of water out of the Back Bay (or chunk of ice) and send it in to the State for testing......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:40 AM   #16
targabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Your best bet may be to take a bottle of water out of the Back Bay (or chunk of ice) and send it in to the State for testing......
I'm glad you didn't say, Take a water bottle and drink it... And if I don't grow a third arm it should be OK...
Old 01-30-2023, 11:08 AM   #17
Susie Cougar

I’m not sure why you feel so strongly about this area. Do you have to be in Wolfeboro? Have you checked out other towns? What exactly are you looking for? I know many people on here could help you.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
stingray (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:43 AM   #18
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
There are a couple of contaminate types, floaters & sinkers (I.e., heavier than water & lighter/same SG as water). Your usual water testing lab will find floaters but sinkers tend to sink into bottom sediments. The type of testing most of us think of (water sample testing)usually won’t find these as they tend to sink into the sediment and accumulate. Most communities/companies/individuals don’t want to test sediments in an area like Back Bay because if they find something they have to clean it up. VERY EXPENSIVE!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:55 AM   #19
radar4401

Default Back Bay

Hi, I have lived in Wolfeboro for 20+ years and keep track of a lot of what goes on. I would suggest that you call the Town Managers office and ask if they have done a water quality assessment of back bay. I've talked with them about several issues over the years and have always gotten straight answers. I know that there was a lot of pollution many years back but that was a long time ago. Wolfeboro takes pollution very seriously and is doing its best to correct any problems. Many projects have been completed to alleviate any known sources of pollution.
radar4401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:23 PM   #20
tis

Targabill. I sent you a pm.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
targabill (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 12:54 PM   #21
targabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I’m not sure why you feel so strongly about this area. Do you have to be in Wolfeboro? Have you checked out other towns? What exactly are you looking for? I know many people on here could help you.
Hi Susie, Well was planning on using a dock there 1st and looking at a piece of property there.. Not at all tied to it, just looking for a Lake Front Property. Anybody selling??
Old 01-30-2023, 01:31 PM   #22
Susie Cougar

How much are you looking to spend? And does it have to be lakefront or can it be lake access?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:29 PM   #23
ApS

Question Satisfying Pollution Problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
There are a couple of contaminate types, floaters & sinkers (I.e., heavier than water & lighter/same SG as water). Your usual water testing lab will find floaters but sinkers tend to sink into bottom sediments. The type of testing most of us think of (water sample testing)usually won’t find these as they tend to sink into the sediment and accumulate. Most communities/companies/individuals don’t want to test sediments in an area like Back Bay because if they find something they have to clean it up. VERY EXPENSIVE!
Seems like Wolfeboro's Back Bay area had numerous pollution problems.

I can't recall whether it was PCBs or a radiation hazard, but it was "solved" by paving an immense parking lot over it.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:02 PM   #24
Heaven

In any case, it is a very mucky bottom. Very shallow around the back, I don't know how you'd swim well except from a boat. Go to the bench at Back Bay Park, right there it looks ok.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 08:42 AM   #25
Rob M

Default Back Bay

The pollutants in the bay are a thing of the past. On a calm day the water is quite clear, but with wind or boat traffic the silty bottom gets stirred up and the water becomes quite murky.

You can typically get under the bridge with smaller boat, I go under with my bass boat and 18 foot Bayliner with out issue, unless the water is unusually high. There is a great restaurant/bar on the bay that you can dock at, and a Water Ski Slalom course for the school.

There is one house at the very North End of the bay with a small beach that kids swim at, but the bay is shallow and silty so it does not make for a great swimming destination.

On the upside, once you go north of the Marina, the bay is typically very quiet.
Rob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:12 AM   #26
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Not Quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
The pollutants in the bay are a thing of the past.
Not really...As Tis and APS stated above the entire area behind the Harvest Market was never cleaned up...it was filled and covered up as it would of been too costly to clean so the pollutants are still there, maybe in limbo, maybe not. I do know that area cannot be excavated at least not without massive and expensive precautions.

Dan
Old 02-01-2023, 09:10 AM   #27
targabill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Not really...As Tis and APS stated above the entire area behind the Harvest Market was never cleaned up...it was filled and covered up as it would of been too costly to clean so the pollutants are still there, maybe in limbo, maybe not. I do know that area cannot be excavated at least not without massive and expensive precautions.

Dan
Just an FYI, I talked to Lake Winnipesaukee Association and they told me they test the water in the Back Bay 2 times per month and there is no problem swimming in there. The biggest problem is runoff from people fertilizing there lawns, and that the same all over the lake.