Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Time to stick the fork in... or not?

I thought after Saturday evening and Sunday, we would have stuck the proverbial fork in this year's local riding season, but maybe I was wrong. It looks like we got some accumulating snow- 3-4" or so!

We rode out to Sandwich Notch Saturday, the riding was great headed out but deteriorating rapidly as we got close to the VK Sat PM.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
corollaman

I'd say we only have a week of snowmobiling left unless we get another blockbuster. It looks like maybe something on Sunday into Monday, but that is still about a week out. We are turning the corner into spring now I think. Sorry to be the voice of doom, but I'm anxious for spring now. After all, it's only a week from Friday
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
trfour

Corollaman, I am very sure that you will get your wish, however, "do not" hold your breath, at this time, as it could be hazardous to you!
T

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
Lakewinn1

Post Time to stick the fork in...or not?

Unfortunately you're right ... The good news is that the boat goes in shortly...
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
corollaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
Corollaman, I am very sure that you will get your wish, however, "do not" hold your breath, at this time, as it could be hazardous to you!
T
I'm sorry, but not all of us like winter, OK???!!!! I'm anxious for Spring and that's all there is to it, and if you guys don't like that, too bad. I'll be glad when all this crap is gone and I can actually do something outside. Not all of us can afford to have snowmobiles or go skiing.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
I'm sorry, but not all of us like winter, OK???!!!! I'm anxious for Spring and that's all there is to it, and if you guys don't like that, too bad. I'll be glad when all this crap is gone and I can actually do something outside. Not all of us can afford to have snowmobiles or go skiing.
Trust me, everyone is VERY aware you don't like Winter. However, when you pop into the WINTER SPORTS and SNOWMOBILING forums and talk about your disdain for Winter it irritates the folks that enjoy Winter (you know, the folks these two subforums were created for in the first place). Know what I'm saying?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (03-12-2009), chipj29 (03-11-2009), hazelnut (03-11-2009), Irrigation Guy (03-12-2009), ITD (03-12-2009), jeffk (03-11-2009), jmen24 (03-12-2009), Ropetow (03-17-2009), Seeker (03-12-2009), SIKSUKR (03-12-2009), trfour (03-11-2009)
Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
Trust me, everyone is VERY aware you don't like Winter. However, when you pop into the WINTER SPORTS and SNOWMOBILING forums and talk about your disdain for Winter it irritates the folks that enjoy Winter (you know, the folks these two subforums were created for in the first place). Know what I'm saying?
Very very well said. There is a place for everything. THIS IS A SNOWMOBILING FORUM. Pay attention carollaman. We all are painfully aware that you do not like winter. Enough already it has past nuissance to annoyance and approaching complaint to moderator status.

Sorry to sound so harsh here but after a quick count of your initial posts on the forum you have 21 total posts, Conservatively 12 of those posts have been to wish winter away and a couple of those were on a snowmobiling forum. I stand by my original "Welcome to the Forum" post but it would be nice if you offered up something to the community other than complaints about winter. In early MARCH no less. We still have quite a ways to go my friend. Ice out will be mid April at this rate. So if you are going to complain for another month I just can't take it!!!!!!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
Ropetow (03-17-2009)
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
SPT13

Default this weekend??

Was hoping to come up this weekend and get one last ride in. How are the trails after Mondays snow? Is it worth coming up or is it "time to stick the fork in"
SPT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
hazelnut

Default Conditions

My sister emailed me (She lives in Meredith) and said that there has been significant melting of snow this week. That coupled with how badly things deteriorated last weekend could put things on hold. If we get another 6+ inch hit of snow maybe we could salvage another weekend or two (wishful on my part). The 6 inch hit would have to be followed by some cold temps though unless it timed out perfectly and hit on a Friday night!!!

However, as always I defer to the experts on the forum such as:

WINNOCTURN? Any thoughts?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
SPT13 (03-13-2009)
Old 03-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
hilltopper

I live in the norhtern end of Meredith off trail 15 and based on what I can see, stick a fork in it. I'll be in Northern VT this weekend getting my last ride in.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hilltopper For This Useful Post:
SPT13 (03-13-2009)
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Irrigation Guy

Default It's all over here in the Moultonboro

I heard they are still grooming over in Sandwich Notch but grooming has stopped here in Moultonboro and this side of the castle. It rained very hard early yesterday too.

Time to load up the sleds and head for Pittsburg for those last rides of the season.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irrigation Guy For This Useful Post:
SPT13 (03-13-2009)
Old 03-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Unhappy News is Not Good

Most Clubs are reporting "SPRING" conditions.

The Moultonboro SMC has halted Grooming operations at this time.
In looking at NOAA and the Weather channel there is no snow being called for at all. The night Temps are low enough to groom but there is nothing to groom. With the recent rain most trails are iced over and with warm daytime temps things are thawing and you are riding on MUD.

Trail Reports form other Clubs in the Lakes area;

Ossipee Valley
http://www.ossipeevalleysnowmobilecl...onditions1.htm

Scrub Oak Scramblers
http://www.sossc.com/index.php?page=Trail-Informatio

Wolfeboro
http://www.wolfeborosnowmobileclub.com/

Mount Major (Alton)
http://www.mountmajorsnowmobileclub....conditions.htm

Meredith
3-9-09 We got about 4 inches of powder today. With warmer temps and rain mix
in the forecast we have quite a bit of melting and mud. The snow on the lakes has
melted down and puddled.

Definitions of expert on the Web:
adept: having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude; "adept in handicrafts";
"an adept juggler"; "an expert job"; "a good mechanic"; "a ...
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
SPT13 (03-13-2009)
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #13
David531

Default Gov Island Tues March 17th

Hi,

Happy St. Patty's Day to ya.

I'm at gov island for the morning, and put a few ice traps out, the ice is still thick here, saw two 4 wheelers cross around timber going towards bear island.

Looking towards rattlesnake, there's still several bobhouses out past timber towards welch island...

There is a texture on the ice that would make steering not too bad for a snowmobile. I don't have a sled with me today, but I wouldn't go to far anyway. It could be quite different just around the bend. But, the ice fishing ain't too bad, had a great fight with I think it was a rainbow, had him right up to the hole and he broke away with the hook.

Cheers, David
David531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
David531

Default Noon time update

It's incredibly nice on the ice at noon time. No wind at all. You can hear someone speaking miles away. A 4 wheeler and a dirt bike just went by stone dam headed towards bear island. There's a group of 4 wheelers and a snowmobile over there, must be ice fishing. I imagine the dirt bike has spikes.

Well, I haven't had a bite since my tug of war with the rainbow earlier this morning and I lost.

Cheers, David
David531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
dragon7

Smile not so quick everbody

there is snow out there if you are willing to go to it. loadup and head north.
dragon7 is offline   Reply With Quote