Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Jonas Pilot

Default Man killed in Pittsburg NH sno-mo crash

CONCORD, N.H. -- A snowmobile collision took the life of Alan Worrall, age
61, of Hudson, Massachusetts, on Thursday, February 5, 2009.*Worrall was
riding from Vermont to New Hampshire on a connector trail between Hall
Stream Road and Indian Stream Road in Pittsburg, N.H.*He was the first
machine in a group of four snowmobilers.*At approximately 2:30 p.m., Worrall
was traveling uphill and crested a hill at a high rate of speed, losing
control on a corner and striking a tree stump.Worrall and his snow machine
went airborne and crashed into several trees, resulting in his fatal
injuries.*He was pronounced dead at the scene by the State Medical Examiner.
The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is continuing to investigate the
incident, but excessive speed appears to be the main cause.

This is the second fatal snow machine accident of the season in New
Hampshire.*Earlier in January, a Unity man was killed on a trail in
Westmoreland.*

"This tragic incident reminds us even seasoned snowmobilers should be aware
of local conditions and their own limitations," said Colonel Martin
Garabedian, Chief of Fish and Game Law Enforcement.*"It's a great year for
snowmobiling in New Hampshire, with the trails in the best shape they've
been in for years. Enjoy it, but in a safe manner."*He added that
Conservation Officers are out in full force this winter, monitoring trails
and enforcing New Hampshire's snowmobile laws and regulations.

The N.H. Bureau of Trails website at http://www.nhtrails.org lists trail
conditions.*You can also call the N.H. Snowmobile Association hotline for a
trail report -- updated twice a week -- at (603) 740-5050 or visit their
website at http://www.nhsa.com.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Pineedles

Default First in Line

I don't think Mr. Worrall was doing anything wrong other than being first in the pack. Being the leader is always dangerous. Bless his soul.

Last edited by Pineedles; 02-06-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
JDeere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I don't think Mr. Worrall was doing anything wrong other than being first in the pack. Being the leader is always dangerous. Bless his soul.
What? How the heck does that begin to make any logical sense.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
ITD

He was going too fast, many times I've had to steer into the woods coming around a corner to get out of the way of someone out of control because they were going too fast. Slow down when cresting hills and going around corners.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
He was going too fast, many times I've had to steer into the woods coming around a corner to get out of the way of someone out of control because they were going too fast. Slow down when cresting hills and going around corners.
That has happened to us several times as well. In fact, my wife has somewhat soured on her snowmobiling enthusiasm because of people on the trail that can't seem to apply common sense and courtesy with any regularity.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Pineedles

The article said at a high rate of speed, I've never seen a snowmobile go anything, but fast. The poor man died for Christ's sake! I saw more sympathy and reserved judgement for a drunk boater who's passenger died on this forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
robmac (02-07-2009)
Old 02-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
ITD

Quote:
The article said at a high rate of speed; It didn't say too fast. Were any of you there? Unless someone here was with the group I don't think judgement is possible. The poor man died for Christ's sake! Yeah, let's all pile on the dead guy!
I was waiting for that response, nobody is piling on the dead guy. He flew over the hill, rounded a corner, hit a stump and flew into trees with enough force to kill himself, it takes a lot of energy for that to happen. It's a direct result of going too fast. I feel very bad for the guy and especially his family, but it doesn't change that fact.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
secondcurve

Quote:
The article said at a high rate of speed, I've never seen a snowmobile go anything, but fast. The poor man died for Christ's sake! I saw more sympathy and reserved judgement for a drunk boater who's passenger died on this forum.
Pineneedles:

I think there is a lot of sympathy for this man. However, forum members who have done a lot of snowmobiling are trying to point out the dangers of speed in an effort to avoid having this happen again.

I will remind you that if you put yourself in a position where you lose control of your sled you are by definition going to fast.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
RLW (02-07-2009)
Old 02-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Pineneedles:

I think there is a lot of sympathy for this man. However, forum members who have done a lot of snowmobiling are trying to point out the dangers of speed in an effort to avoid having this happen again.

I will remind you that if you put yourself in a position where you lose control of your sled you are by definition going to fast.
Secondcurve, thanks and that's fine if they want to point out the dangers of this type of snowmobiling, but I didn't see anything that resembled sympathy, just JDeere's insult towards my statement.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
sa meredith

Default deep breath eevryone....

...deep breath everyone....deep breath.
We're probably just a post or two away from an argument breaking out.
And then we'll have to send PMs to each other, threatening violence, and legal action, and then...well you get it.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (02-07-2009)
Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
Phantom

I would like to end this SPECULATION & forum banter here and now.

Al Worrel happens to be a neighbor of mine (here in Mass). It is a tragic loss, and we are all stunned. He is an extremely seasoned snowmobiler/boater/ and motorcycle rider. As I understand it, he had left the pack while leading and ended up out of sight in front of them. Too fast -- obviously ..... but isn't that is one (of the many) hazards of being lead? Concentrating on what's in front and where's your group behind? This time it turned into a tragedy instead of a mishap........ a tragic accident pure and simple!!

Services have not even been set for Al, so a little Forum consideration would be respectful instead of this childish "micro" diagnosing of what did and didn't happen.

Think of his children & grandchildren before further bantor .......... thank you
chipj29 (02-08-2009), jeffk (02-08-2009), kaj (02-08-2009), Pineedles (02-08-2009)
Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
Phantom

All too often, we forum members are quick to jump on a thread and it ultimately spirals way off topic or worse ends in endless speculation. I debated wether to even post here potentialy openning pandora's box once again. But I felt I should-- to say simply:

I Sincerely THANK all of you, my fellow forum members, for "laying off this thread" after my last (emotional) post.
The funeral services were held this past week

For the morbidly interested-The facts in this incident are that it indeed was a tragic accident-- while leading Al, ahead of the rest of his group, evidently hit or knicked a tree stump in the trail which veered his sled off the trail where he ultimately collided with a tree................

I once again thank you all for your kind consideration with respect to this thread.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
GTO

Default understood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I would like to end this SPECULATION & forum banter here and now.

Al Worrel happens to be a neighbor of mine (here in Mass). It is a tragic loss, and we are all stunned. He is an extremely seasoned snowmobiler/boater/ and motorcycle rider. As I understand it, he had left the pack while leading and ended up out of sight in front of them. Too fast -- obviously ..... but isn't that is one (of the many) hazards of being lead? Concentrating on what's in front and where's your group behind? This time it turned into a tragedy instead of a mishap........ a tragic accident pure and simple!!

Services have not even been set for Al, so a little Forum consideration would be respectful instead of this childish "micro" diagnosing of what did and didn't happen.

Think of his children & grandchildren before further bantor .......... thank you
Never having snowmobiled before, I am trying to understand this. Is being the "lead" as dangerous as it sounds? Do you need to be going fast to be the lead person, especially on unfamiliar trails? Because if its all true, knowing the dangers and risks, I would of been thinking of my children and grandchildren at that time and chose to be a follower....not a leader.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Never having snowmobiled before, I am trying to understand this. Is being the "lead" as dangerous as it sounds? Do you need to be going fast to be the lead person, especially on unfamiliar trails? Because if its all true, knowing the dangers and risks, I would of been thinking of my children and grandchildren at that time and chose to be a follower....not a leader.
The leader is the first to encounter other sleds and any trail problems, including bad bumps, sharp turns, water wash outs, branches in the trail, rocks, ice, and other such stuff. As leader you have to react faster to the surprises. Trails can be in beautiful shape and still things pop up. Followers can see the leaders brakes flash, or the leader can slow down and flag the others, or some people have helmet radios to pass messages. Oncoming sleds slow down after passing the leader and we all signal how many sleds are following us so everyone stays slow until we all go past each other.

The speed of the leader is often dependant on the overall speed of the group. I have never been a fast rider on twisty trails exactly because I don't like the surprises. I'm a cautious rider. I've been riding for 35 years and have never been in a serious accident or been injured. Many riders get used to going pretty fast and that amplifies the risk the leader is exposed to. I have many times been going around 25 and come up to someone flying at me at twice my speed. On the narrower trails we often find around here I consider that a bit reckless. Almost every rider I have come across immediately slows down an is very courteous passing my family group. But for that split second in the lead it's a bit scary as they slam on the brakes and squirrel around a bit.

This is the reason they instituted a 45 MPH speed limit on the trails but two sleds closing at 90 MPH on a slippery and bumpy surface and passing within a few feet of each other can be pretty chilling beyond what the weather is doing.

On the other hand there are trails that are wide and straight and doing 50+ MPH is no problem at all, even with oncoming traffic.

The overall problem is that different people have very different ideas about levels of risk and we are all only trying to have fun. If we all wanted to be safe we would outlaw snowmobiling, skiing, motorcycling, scuba diving, sky diving, mountain climbing and other "risky" sports. Life would "safer" but it would also be pretty boring.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (02-24-2009), hazelnut (02-23-2009), VitaBene (02-23-2009)
Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #15
trfour

Default With Sympathy To Mr. Worrall's Family and Friend's....

and also to the prevention of such heartbreaking losses in the future.

Snowmobiling, skydiving, boating, skiing and what ever, just as most every sport can excite and can be very thrilling, join a club and take the required safety courses.

May I add to jeffk's excellent points of view.

"The leader is the first to encounter other sleds and any trail problems, including bad bumps, sharp turns, water wash outs, branches in the trail, rocks, ice, and other such stuff. As leader you have to react faster to the surprises. Trails can be in beautiful shape and still things pop up. Followers can see the leaders brakes flash, or the leader can slow down and flag the others, or some people have helmet radios to pass messages. Oncoming sleds slow down after passing the leader and we all signal how many sleds are following us so everyone stays slow until we all go past each other."

The leader has the responsibility of how ever many others in his/or her group to warn them of hazards on the trail, be it hand signals or stopping the entire group. In Large groups, two way radio communication whether helmet or hand held between the lead sled and the rearmost sled was mandatory to pick up a breakdown or other unanticipated circumstance.

Please, Please, Please stay safe out there.
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote