Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Pricestavern

Question Snowshoeing to Rattlesnake - Feb '08

Thought I'd fish the well of knowlege in this forum...My wife and I are planning on snowshoeing from Minge Cove over to the south tip of Rattlesnake this coming February. We've never been on the lake during winter before and was looking for suggestions/warnings by those who know the lake in winter. I've seen the back-end of various vehicles sticking thru the ice in the Photos section and don't want to make a bad judgement call while we're 'shoeing.

Thanks in advance!
Rich n Maria
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
DRH

Default Snowshoeing to Rattlesnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Thought I'd fish the well of knowlege in this forum...My wife and I are planning on snowshoeing from Minge Cove over to the south tip of Rattlesnake this coming February. We've never been on the lake during winter before and was looking for suggestions/warnings by those who know the lake in winter. I've seen the back-end of various vehicles sticking thru the ice in the Photos section and don't want to make a bad judgement call while we're 'shoeing.

Thanks in advance!
Rich n Maria
Rich and Maria - once the lake has frozen to a safe thickness you should have no trouble snowshoeing from Minge Cove to Rattlesnake. By February the ice should be safe, but you should check back here for an update on conditions before you come up just to make sure. The surface you'll be walking on could be soft, if there is fresh snow, or rough if the snow cover has settled and packed down, but many people go out to Rattlesnake from Minge Cove every winter ... some on foot, some on snowmobiles, some on ATVs, and some using air boats.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
SIKSUKR

I would also take the advice of others on this forum and have hand held ice pick devices attached to sleeves to aid in getting out of the water should you break through.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Bear Islander

The Bear Island web site has a page on ice safety. The link is below. Bringing along a light, strong rope is always a good idea. Often the thinest ice is over shallow water. The transition from ice to land can be the trickiest part. Don't walk close together.

http://www.bearisland.org/ice_safety_information.htm
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Also, it's usually very easy to hitchhike a door-to-door ride in someone's big pickup truck. You may be surprised how easy it is....just stick out that thumb and wave....going my way...you'll get a quik lift. Hold up up a 16oz bottle of the ice fisherman's best friend, Sam Adams, and the entire Alton Board of Selectmen will be right there for you.....Where to, Mr President....yessuh....right away!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
JTA

If it is a typical February, you will see bob houses all over the place and vehicles on the ice as well. There will be signs of snowmobile traffic from Minge Cove over to Rattlesnake as well. If all of these features are missing, you'll know something is up ... probably unsafe conditions. By monitoring this forum and the web cams, you'll have a good idea about what's happening.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
The Bear Island web site has a page on ice safety. The link is below. Bringing along a light, strong rope is always a good idea. Often the thinest ice is over shallow water. The transition from ice to land can be the trickiest part. Don't walk close together.

http://www.bearisland.org/ice_safety_information.htm
Though I may not agree with you on speed limits and other issues reguarding the lake BI,I must take my hat off to you on your adventures to the South Pole.Spectacular photos and blog.What fantastic trips you have taken.You must be a very interesting person.I know we have one comman interest with snow and mountains.
If you have not seen his travels yet,check them out on the Bear Island website linked here.Great stuff!!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 PM   #8
Bear Islander

Thanks, they have been wonderful adventures!

I'm thinking about Everest for my next trip.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
pirkaus

Exclamation

Playing on the ice is fun but be prepared
http://www.exn.ca/video/?Video=exn20020325-icewater.asx
Pirk