Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
meatball

Default Governor's Island Bridge Right of Way

Looking for experiences for ROW @ Governor's Island bridge. Last Saturday, one of 4 boats all lined up with roughly 30 ft between each other. Approaching from north side (no wake side) towards south side. I'm boat number 3 and passage appears open. Boat 1 engages and proceeds to pass with boat #2 right behind. I engage and follow boat number 2 when a boat from opposite appears. Estimate speed de-celerating from 15 knots to headway within 100' of bridge. I continue and pass thru bridge but driver of on-coming boat politely suggests I'm in too much of a hurry and should of yielded. I politely point out there were 4 boats and perhaps he was in too much of a hurry. Interested in other's interpretations and experiences.
meatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #2
8gv

I might not be understanding the situation you described.

The practice that I see and in which I partake, is to allow one boat from each side to take turns passing.

If two boats are going through together, maybe the boat waiting on the other side has moved off a bit and is out of view.

If I'm in that boat I might feel that the captains of boat #2 and more likely #3 are being discourteous.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
brk-lnt

I usually see an alternating-sides approach when the bridge backs up.

I think that technically speaking, it's probably more efficient to clear as many boats in one direction as possible, but practically speaking that is viewed as impolite and/or "aggressive" behavior.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
HellRaZoR004

I agree with the above and asked the same question a few years back, alternating seems to be the preferred approach.

However, based on the OP's story I would imagine if the OP is already in the queue and heading through the bridge while the other boat is still slowing for the NWZ then perhaps that boater was 'rushing' things.

I would just take a deep breath and continue on.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Kamper

One would think 1 then 1 then 1 alternately but I have seen following boats get really close and gang up. When that happens you just have to wait for a slow-poke or another caption with good manners.

It's one of those things... "Smile and wave!"
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
ITD

I think it's much more efficient for several boats to go at once, especially if they are queued up and that is the way I always see it done there.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Bear Islander

When automobiles are limited to one lane on a road how do they alternate? Several cars go through one way, then several the other.

It might be more "courteous" to alternate one car at a time, but obviously it would back up traffic. In fact, that would be idiotic.

I believe in courtesy, except when it's completely stupid.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Dave R (07-29-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #8
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
When automobiles are limited to one lane on a road how do they alternate? Several cars go through one way, then several the other.

It might be more "courteous" to alternate one car at a time, but obviously it would back up traffic. In fact, that would be idiotic.

I believe in courtesy, except when it's completely stupid.
The problem with that approach is all the people who can't see the logic in front of their faces. With the road scenario you describe there is often a person (or pair of people) flagging the vehicles at either end, and most likely communicating with each other to manage the queues on both sides.

Let's assume there is an infinite line of boats on either side of the bridge. How many go through at a time? How do you communicate that number effectively? What if all the boats on one side are 30'+ slow-moving vessels and the other side is all 17' ers that can glide through?

Yes, groups of boats through is the most efficient, but alternating sides is the most *practical* in a random setting with no management system in place.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #9
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
The problem with that approach is all the people who can't see the logic in front of their faces. With the road scenario you describe there is often a person (or pair of people) flagging the vehicles at either end, and most likely communicating with each other to manage the queues on both sides.

Let's assume there is an infinite line of boats on either side of the bridge. How many go through at a time? How do you communicate that number effectively? What if all the boats on one side are 30'+ slow-moving vessels and the other side is all 17' ers that can glide through?

Yes, groups of boats through is the most efficient, but alternating sides is the most *practical* in a random setting with no management system in place.
I have been under that bridge many many times. I have yet to encounter an infinite number of boats on even one side of the bridge. Therefore an infinite number of boats on BOTH sides of the bridge seems highly unlikely to me.

Anyway wouldn't an infinite number of boats require more gas that is available at local marinas? Or on planet earth? And where would you find food for an infinite number of operators? And don't get me started on sanitation!
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Kamper

Of course, if you're in a hurry you should just go around the Island.

The channel is a nice scenic ride if you don't mind the delay and can admire other peoples property and boats.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
I have been under that bridge many many times. I have yet to encounter an infinite number of boats on even one side of the bridge. Therefore an infinite number of boats on BOTH sides of the bridge seems highly unlikely to me.

Anyway wouldn't an infinite number of boats require more gas that is available at local marinas? Or on planet earth? And where would you find food for an infinite number of operators? And don't get me started on sanitation!
What I'm saying is that while your logic is understandable, it doesn't scale to common situations. If there were typically only 2 or 3 boats backed up on 1 side, and all skippers were rational/logical, then it would make sense. However, we're dealing with variable numbers of boats on either side and people that don't always think rationally. Therefore, IMO, the most practical solution is alternating sides, which trades a slight slowdown in total passage time for calmed nerves and reduced chances of high blood pressure and verbal assaults.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
NH_boater

Sorry OP but the other boat is probably 'more right'. Alternating is the only practical solution and perfectly fine for all but the heaviest traffic days. Other methods are certainly more efficient but lead to more problems than they solve. Maximum efficiency is not needed and is not easily managed without a traffic cop. Anyone in a rush should avoid the long nwz anyway.

I view this similar to a queue at a 4 way stop sign. A long queue in one direction does not matter. One at a time. Alternating passage.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #13
Dave R

The engineer in me wants to point out that there's plenty of room for two typically-sized (<9' beam <3.5' draft) boats to pass each other under that bridge if they both stay to the right. I've done it (before I knew it wasn't normal there)...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote