Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Lucky1

Default Cement or concrete siding names and roofer.

I have a two bedroom ranch with a walk out basement and attached garage. I want to learn about that newer material that is either concrete or cement? Is it colored all the way through? I don't want to have to have it painted. I saw some that seemed to be white on the inside under the paint? I also know of a garage that had a tan colored like stain look but the bottom board is now worn off and looks cream or white. Have any Forum members used this material? I would appreciate any information that you might be able to share. I also need a new roof. Would that be done first? Any other ideas on that? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Superduty1

The siding is fiber cement board. Both James Hardie and Certainteed make the product. It can be bought and installed primed or prefinished. The prefinished has I believe a 30 yr product warranty, 15 yr finish. I bought mine primed, put one color coat on before installation and 2 finish coats after it was up. Unlike wood products the fiber board does not absorb moisture so the paint does not peel. The factory prefinish is recommended because it is applied and baked under controlled conditions. The down side is it will require touch up from handling during installation (nick and scratches), you pick from their colors and it's 1/3 more in price. They also offer a full trim line made from the same material. It's heavy, expensive, tough to work with, but when its done correctly it's bulletproof (not literally). There are more and more accesories avaible today for this product than just 10 years ago. Go to the James Hardie web site for all the info.

I would do the roof first. Start from the top and work your way down.

Actually roofs and siding are installed from the bottom up (you get what I mean).
Superduty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superduty1 For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (07-29-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Warranty wise you are better off to have the factory finish. IF you have a issue, they will say it is the paint or the way it is applied or whatever. Hardie did have some problems with painting and delaminating which they now say they have fixed. Cemplank I believe was the original but I think was bought out by Hardie.
We prefer the Certainteed. It has been wonderful for us. We had ours pertained.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (07-29-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
scomptonbuilder

Hello, my name is Scott Compton of Scott Compton Builder. I have enstalled a tremendous amount of cement siding both Hardie and Certainteed, primed and finished paint from the factory. This product can not get wet prior to installation or you will get a white chaulky film on the finished side they call "effervesce". It is my professional opinion to install cement siding with finished paint from factory, colored caulking provided, and one coat applied in the field either after installation or shortly after. I would be more than happy to provide you an estimate. I can be contacted at 603-279-1029 and you can also check my website out at www.scottcomptonbuilder.com.
scomptonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Dr. Green

Just had our siding by NuCedar delivered yesterday. It is zero maintenance, as opposed to the "low maintenance" of Hardies and CertainTeed (which we looked at. Can't tell you yet whether it really lasts forever, but a neighbor of ours has it and is very satisfied. The other two mention in their warrantey that you have to perform maintenance after a certain amount of time or the warranty is void. Not my cup of tea.
Dr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default something to consider

First let me say everyone I've met with that has it hates Hardie siding and wishes they had gone with cedar. That being said much of it was installed incorrectly and not caulked.
The warranty is for the materials and workmanship not against Mother Nature. If you have snow sitting against your house all winter you will have problems with any PAINTED surface. Warranty usually doesn't cover for this as it is not manufacturer related. I've seen it before. Many manufacturer warrantees are general; here in NE we have extreme weather.
Paint is not meant to have snow or water sitting on or against it; this is why stain is recommended for many applications where the siding will be in contact with snow or in very close proximity to standing water.
There is a very large home in Southdown that used Hardie plank and he has paint lifting on area where the snow sits against his house all winter long.
Honestly, and being a painter, if you want durability go with vinyl siding, I would.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (07-29-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
First let me say everyone I've met with that has it hates Hardie siding and wishes they had gone with cedar. That being said much of it was installed incorrectly and not caulked.
The warranty is for the materials and workmanship not against Mother Nature. If you have snow sitting against your house all winter you will have problems with any PAINTED surface. Warranty usually doesn't cover for this as it is not manufacturer related. I've seen it before. Many manufacturer warrantees are general; here in NE we have extreme weather.
Paint is not meant to have snow or water sitting on or against it; this is why stain is recommended for many applications where the siding will be in contact with snow or in very close proximity to standing water.
There is a very large home in Southdown that used Hardie plank and he has paint lifting on area where the snow sits against his house all winter long.
Honestly, and being a painter, if you want durability go with vinyl siding, I would.
I know things are a matter of opinion but I certainly wouldn't trade ours for cedar. No way. We have had it for probably ten or more years with only a couple of boards that lost some paint because of (as you said) water issues.
Lucky1 (07-29-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default tis

The problem is most homeowners wait until their house NEEDS to be painted or stained. If properly maintained Cedar will far outlast Hardie siding.
But if I had to choose I'd pick one of the new vinyl sidings that look like real shingles. I've seen some that I have to be almost at the house to tell that they are not real.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (07-29-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
winnipiseogee

I've used HardiPlank and I am HUGELY pleased with it and like it so much more than vinyl siding. I just think vinyl looks flimsy while the concrete board looks more authentic, is indestructible and only needs to be painted every 20 years or so. I highly recommend it.

I've also had cedar on one of my homes here and it was the expensive paint jobs every 2 or 3 years that caused me to look at cement board. It might not be as beautiful as real cedar but it is MUCH lower maintenance and I would do it again in a heartbeat!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
tis

I do agree, some of the new vinyl shingles look a lot better than vinyl used to. But I still don't like the vinyl clapboards.
Belmont Resident (07-28-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #11
boo

My name is Corey Boucher, Blue Moon Builders llc,
i would be happy to provide you with a free, no obligation estimate for your roof.
i can be reached at (603) 393-5229, or by email at bluemoonbuilders@msn.com

feel free to contact me with any questions or to set up a time we can meet and discuss your roof.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote