Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
rider

Default Ward Bird Ride?

I know its early and there isn't any snow, but I think that it would be nice to do a Ward Bird ride this winter.
rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
hazelnut

Sign me up!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
JDeere

Default Someone is going to have to explain it to me

Can someone explain this to me? I do not know Bird but am told he is a large man who could not have been physically intimidated by the women who was trespassing on his property. Why was it necessary for him to pull out a gun versus calling MPD?

Handguns are for self-defense and even then their use is only valid when in fear for ones life. How could Bird justify that he was in any way afraid of an unarmed and much smaller women.

Feel bad for the guy since it was a mistake anyone could have made and NH should be more clear with the law and MPD could have looked the other way as well.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (12-04-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
hazelnut

Default Wrong thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
Can someone explain this to me? I do not know Bird but am told he is a large man who could not have been physically intimidated by the women who was trespassing on his property. Why was it necessary for him to pull out a gun versus calling MPD?

Handguns are for self-defense and even then their use is only valid when in fear for ones life. How could Bird justify that he was in any way afraid of an unarmed and much smaller women.

Feel bad for the guy since it was a mistake anyone could have made and NH should be more clear with the law and MPD could have looked the other way as well.
JDeere with all due respect there is a rather lengthy forum discussing this very topic. This would be for folks interested in a Snowmobile ride to raise awareness for a man who was sentenced for far too long and should be released from prison.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (11-29-2010), MarkinNH (11-29-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Thinking along the same wave length as a Ward Bird snowmobile ride, how about a 'Free Ward Bird' website.....perhaps it could be www.freewardbird.org ... you could purchase a Free Ward Bird bumpersticker, hat, or tee-shirt .... seriously....like why not? .....hey....you know....a Free Ward Bird bumpersticker would really make a strong statement wrapped around the front of my bicycle helmet, plus it would help to hold it together nice since the helmet front got a little cracked when I fell off the bicycle and smacked my forehead.....bingo! ......www.freewardbird.org

The lastest issue of www.weirs.com has a front page article titled ......"We Must Free Ward Bird"

So, what does everybody think about my suggestion of waving a broom, such as a corn broom used for sweeping the kitchen floor, as opposed to waving a .45 Colt semi-automatic pistol? Maybe Colt can make a combo broom-gun...an all-purpose out-in-the-country household tool...sort of like one of those can openers that will work on both a can or a pop-off bottle top......capice? ....Colt would probably do well to name it with a catchy name like a 'street-sweeper' or something?

You know what I think? The broom is probably mightier than the .45 pistol.......hey.....at least after the visiter to your house leaves goodbye....you can always use a broom to sweep up.....the front porch....the kitchen floor....whatever....just try to do some floor sweeping with a .45? How's that work?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-05-2010 at 04:46 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM   #6
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
I do not know Bird but am told he is a large man who could not have been physically intimidated by the women who was trespassing on his property.
I do not know Bird but am told he is a large man who had recently undergone a surgery which left him weakened from his normal condition.

You might find more welcoming responses to your question if you took a little more time to phrase it with a little less slant, especially in a thread intended for people to band together to show support for him.
MarkinNH (11-29-2010)
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Thinking along the same wave length as a Ward Bird snowmobile ride, how about a 'Free Ward Bird' website.....perhaps it could be www.freewardbird.com ...
Maybe they could call it freewardbird.org ! And it could look like this !
http://freewardbird.org/ A link to this very website was in post #100 in the other thread.

PS. I think you broom idea is getting a little old and ridiculous. Don't you think it is time to come up with some new material ? Better yet do us all a holiday favor and just drop the subject all together.

Now to keep this thread on it's original track. A "ride in" is a great idea. I am not a snowmobiler so that kind of excludes me from participating but I bet there are plenty of folks who would jump at the chance.
I would like to think the whole matter will be behind Ward and his family before we see enough snow suitable for riding but the wheels of justice don't and won't work that quickly.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
JDeere

Default I will pass on ride....

Not much slant. Not opposed to guns. Own them myself but I do know that if I did what he did I would expect to wind up in jail. No real stong bias one way or other. Just luckly I know the law.

Only thing I know is that you do not pull a gun out unless you are going to shoot and you only get to do that if you are in fear for your life...and you will still proabaly get charged....least in NH.

Bad judgment on his part. My post was on point. I am not sure he merits or does not merit all the support. So, I will pass on the ride until someone explains why he desreves it.

More a question that anything else.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
rider

Default back from left field....

I have never had a topic go as far off as this one. I intended to see if there are snowmobilers out there that would participate in a ride. If there were, then I would pitch the idea to people sponsoring the site freewardbird.org (family and friends) to get their support for the ride.
rider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rider For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
MarkinNH

Sorry about that rider, I tried to help keep it on track for I think the idea has merit. I think now I should have just stayed out of it.
If you are a member of facebook, you could post the question at one of the 3 pages they have for the Ward Bird support efforts. If you are not a member, I would be pleased to post the question for you.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkinNH For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (12-02-2010), hazelnut (12-01-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
SIKSUKR

What some people think is humor is looked at by most of us as bafoonery.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default watch it siksukr

You were already castrated for your joking comments on the OTHER section.
FYI I’m with you and many others. The guy did a dumb a$$ things and now he’s paying for it, end of story.
I’ve been passionate about a topic and watched as my post was taken apart piece by piece. Such is life around the big lake.
My wife and I were buying a snowmobile yesterday. Signs were up all around the dealership.
I shook the owners hand and thanked him for not being involved, there were no signs posted on his property.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default The usual trolls...................

Are taking the enjoyment of being able to do what we like to do. Enjoy each other company and get together for a cause.

Anyway, this will be a great idea. Perhaps a ride around the Ossipee Mtn range is in order? Get permission from the snowmobile clubs along the Ossipee corriders and advertise in their newsletters.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
.... This would be for folks interested in a Snowmobile ride to raise awareness for a man who was sentenced for far too long and should be released from prison.
Thanks for explaining that hazelnut. Afraid to say, the first post left me scratching my head, I was a little slow on the uptake.