Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #1
mishman

Default comcast mobile coverage in Moultonborough

I am just about to say bye bye to Verizon wireless after fifteen years. Looking at using the relatively new Comcast mobile plan. I understand that Comcast uses Verizon's towers so the coverage should be the same in the lakes region as we have experience with Verizon. With three lines and 4 gigs of shared data we will cut our $120/month Verizon bill in half! However the one temporary glitch is you to have to buy a new phone from Comcast right now (and have Comcast internet service which I have). We have paid off iPhone 6s but can't bring them over to Comcast Mobile just yet. They say we will be able to do so soon but for now, if we wanted to switch it would require a new phone. I am a Verizon stockholder and am contemplating selling soon as more and more people will bail on Verizon with such a price difference.

Has anyone already done this in the area and how are you finding the service?
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I've thought about doing the same, but four things have stopped me: 1. At $12/GB, my wife and I would have to use fewer than 8 to match what we pay now. Most months would be ok, but a few--like summer, when we stream music at anchor--we'd be over. 2. In most MVNO scenarios, only Verizon-owned towers are accessible to the subscriber (in this case, Comcast). I believe that number is lower because it doesn't include Verizon roaming deals. 3. For the CM deal to work, it has to use WiFi as often as possible, and I'm not entirely confident in the WiFi switching protocol. 4. The new phone. I buy my unlocked phones outright and use them for a couple years. My current one is a G5S+ I bought for $150 15 months ago that I'll get another year easy out of.

Low usage people can score if buying the phone can be cheap, but the value diminishes as (data) usage increases.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
DustyR

Default Xfinity Mobile

I have Xfinity Mobile, don't live in Moultonborough but I do live in Laconia. Switched from Verizon. Service has been the same as it was on Verizon but I am not familiar with the tower situation. I am on per Gig (@ $12/gig) but you get unlimited for $45 so if you regularly use more than 3 Gig, go with unlimited. I don't use much data so my bill, with a payment plan on a new iPhone is half what it was on Verizon.
DustyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
The Real BigGuy

I was told by a friend that they actually use Verizon towers. If I was an Xfinity customerI’d be making the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Skip

Thumbs up Verizon to Xfinity convert....

I converted from Verizon to Xfinity (Comcast) late November. Since then I have travelled extensively in New Hampshire and several trips to Providence. My coverage replicates exactly that of my former Verizon account..

With taxes and fees I pay $47 a month for unlimited voice, text and data. I believe my data gets throttled at 20 gig. Even streaming video at camp I doubt I will ever come close to throttling, but I did exceed my 8 gig data cap on my old Verizon account a number of times.

You can choose, on your device, to opt in to using wifi voice. I currently turn it off as I have had some issues in buildings with questionable coverage. Strictly optional on yorur part and while recommended by Xfinity it is not a requirement for usage.

I owned my iPhone-X and easily brought it over to my new Xfinity account. The list continues to grow of iPhone products that Xfinity allows direct import, and they promise to extend that to Android devices early this year.

I am saving nearly $80/month since converting since having the comparable unlimited data from Verizon, with their taxes and fees, would be between $130 and $140 month.

Extremely satisfied, finally getting a tangible benefit for my otherwise outrageous Comcast fees and only wish I had converted sooner.

As a side-note, using the Xfinity store in Dover, NH it took a total of 15 minutes to complete the entire transaction!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I converted from Verizon to Xfinity (Comcast) late November. Since then I have travelled extensively in New Hampshire and several trips to Providence. My coverage replicates exactly that of my former Verizon account..

With taxes and fees I pay $47 a month for unlimited voice, text and data. I believe my data gets throttled at 20 gig. Even streaming video at camp I doubt I will ever come close to throttling, but I did exceed my 8 gig data cap on my old Verizon account a number of times.

You can choose, on your device, to opt in to using wifi voice. I currently turn it off as I have had some issues in buildings with questionable coverage. Strictly optional on yorur part and while recommended by Xfinity it is not a requirement for usage.

I owned my iPhone-X and easily brought it over to my new Xfinity account. The list continues to grow of iPhone products that Xfinity allows direct import, and they promise to extend that to Android devices early this year.

I am saving nearly $80/month since converting since having the comparable unlimited data from Verizon, with their taxes and fees, would be between $130 and $140 month.

Extremely satisfied, finally getting a tangible benefit for my otherwise outrageous Comcast fees and only wish I had converted sooner.

As a side-note, using the Xfinity store in Dover, NH it took a total of 15 minutes to complete the entire transaction!
Good info, thanks! My wife and I pay $105 total/month for 2 phones and 8GB shared on Verizon. It looks like we'd only save ~$10-15, though we'd get unlimited data rather than 8 shared. Interesting--I'll take a closer look when they accept Android devices. Cheers!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Outdoorsman

A couple of years ago I stopped in to the Verizon store in Concord to buy a new phone. They were running a deal on a "pay-as-you-go/Prepay" plan that was about $30/MO. I inquired about this plan and was told that Verizon gives priority to members using a Verizon plan, meaning that the PrePay users get a throttled service if the network is busy.

I question if this is in fact true.... Do you get a throttled service at busy times using a Comcast service (or any other phone service while on a Verizon tower)? Is there a way to know?
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
...I question if this is in fact true.... Do you get a throttled service at busy times using a Comcast service (or any other phone service while on a Verizon tower)? Is there a way to know?...
No. As explained to me and confirmed by doing a multitude of on-line research (making sure this wasn't "too good to be true") the only throttling that occurs is at the 2o gig limit. After putting it through its paces the last several months I have experience no throttling, regardless of when or where I was.

I found it interesting, the day I switched over, how quick and seamless the porting process was. It was explained to me that Xfinity and Verizon have a very close working relationship.

I think this is a win/win for both companies. As more and more people cut the cord for TV services, Xfinity has found a nice "hook" to at least keep customers tethered at home with their internet service. And while Verizon loses direct customers due to the price break, they still retain the same customer, albeit at an arm's length, instead of losing them completely to a third party carrier.

I really think Comcast/Xfinity is thinking far ahead, knowing that it some cases being tied to cable is going away, and getting in on the ground floor of completely wireless services is the wave of the future (especially with 5G rapidly approaching).....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote