Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Gas Furnace

I will be shopping for a new gas furnace (forced hot air).
That said looking for 'brand name' suggestions for gas furnace, and a HVAC gas contractor who could manage this replacement.

Not that it matters as relating to the heat side, but my duct-work is used for central air tie-in.

Have concerns with going with a 1 man shop for this replacement, but more inclined to hire a larger company with several employees, I just like options !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:40 PM   #2
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
That said looking for 'brand name' suggestions for gas furnace, and a HVAC gas contractor who could manage this replacement.

Not that it matters as relating to the heat side, but my duct-work is used for central air tie-in.

Have concerns with going with a 1 man shop for this replacement, but more inclined to hire a larger company with several employees, I just like options !
Aw, you can DIY that, you just need a pair of tin snips and a screwdriver.

JK, I would be more inclined to go by recommendations and references rather than the size of the shop. I had some work done by Foley ( not a heater) but they did a great job on what they worked on and their service is top notch. You want to make sure it is sized correctly, too large or too small will be problematic.

Good luck in your search.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
DotRat (02-08-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 09:10 PM   #3
TheProfessor

Quote:
For information purposes.
Telephone your propane provider and ask what brand or brands that they sell (if any). That is a good start. You could obtain a price from them as a guide.

Does your current one exhaust go up chimney or out side of house?

Most common are 80% efficiency up to 92/94%.
One is regular efficiency the other is high efficiency.
Then there is single stage and dual stage.

And opinions will be all over the place. Everyone will/may state that theirs is the best.

As I stated in another post.
When I built my garage. I put in a 100,000 BTU propane single stage regular efficient furnace. Happened to be a Goodman brand. Has worked fine for 22 years. I did have a contractor account. 22 years ago, when I telephoned the furnace/duct company - the price quoted me was $1,250.00. When I stated that I had a contractor account with furnace/duct company - the price dropped to $452.00. This just shows some of the price/costs that surround all construction endeavors.

My requirement was that a funace would turn on and turn off. Without a multitude of sensors. I avoided a furnace that had sensors that checked the humidity, barametric pressure, elevation, phases of the moon, seismic activity, etc. I avoided those that had red/green blinking lights, LED screens, LCD screen, with numbers that only a technician could look up, sequential beeping sounds, etc.

Might be a good idea to choose a brand name that has been around for quite sometime. Something that has readily available parts and that any technician can fix if ever needed.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:02 PM   #4
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
For information purposes.
Telephone your propane provider and ask what brand or brands that they sell (if any). That is a good start. You could obtain a price from them as a guide.

Does your current one exhaust go up chimney or out side of house?

Most common are 80% efficiency up to 92/94%.
One is regular efficiency the other is high efficiency.
Then there is single stage and dual stage.

And opinions will be all over the place. Everyone will/may state that theirs is the best.

As I stated in another post.
When I built my garage. I put in a 100,000 BTU propane single stage regular efficient furnace. Happened to be a Goodman brand. Has worked fine for 22 years. I did have a contractor account. 22 years ago, when I telephoned the furnace/duct company - the price quoted me was $1,250.00. When I stated that I had a contractor account with furnace/duct company - the price dropped to $452.00. This just shows some of the price/costs that surround all construction endeavors.

My requirement was that a funace would turn on and turn off. Without a multitude of sensors. I avoided a furnace that had sensors that checked the humidity, barametric pressure, elevation, phases of the moon, seismic activity, etc. I avoided those that had red/green blinking lights, LED screens, LCD screen, with numbers that only a technician could look up, sequential beeping sounds, etc.

Might be a good idea to choose a brand name that has been around for quite sometime. Something that has readily available parts and that any technician can fix if ever needed.
Thanks for your feedback Professor !
FYI, my gas furnace vents out side of house and NOT a chimney.

Current gas furnace is a Trane XL 90 (60,000 BTU), way under-powered for my size home to begin with, then the last owner finished the basement, with another bedroom bath and living area. We shut heat off in basement, as we don't utilize during the winter. I've been told I should have a furnace with at least 100k BTU if not more.....

Anyway, think I'll start with reaching out to Eastern Propane for a quote, at least I'll know the 'high side' of replacement.

Thanks again !
Old 02-07-2023, 11:15 PM   #5
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Aw, you can DIY that, you just need a pair of tin snips and a screwdriver.

JK, I would be more inclined to go by recommendations and references rather than the size of the shop. I had some work done by Foley ( not a heater) but they did a great job on what they worked on and their service is top notch. You want to make sure it is sized correctly, too large or too small will be problematic.

Good luck in your search.
Is Foley really a small shop?
I thought they had several techs.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2023, 10:23 AM   #6
WinnisquamZ

We have been a Foley customer for years. I understand they are having difficulty retaining and hiring techs like many in the service business. Many Techs jump from business to business for a dollar more per hour. Also, going out on their own is profitable these days

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:28 AM   #7
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Is Foley really a small shop?
I thought they had several techs.
I didn't say Foley was small. Honestly I wouldn't know how to quantify small, I think that is a subjective measure, small to one person may be large to someone else. My point was to try to find an installer with a good reputation as there are many sub-par installers out there and some frankly that are dishonest in my opinion, doing things and charging prices that are extreme. Caveat emptor.

From his last post, it seems that Bigdog already has a high-efficiency furnace, with leds and circuit boards. For what it's worth, I agree with The Professor that lower tech is more desirable and less troublesome than higher tech. Unfortunately since Bigdog isn't using a chimney now lower efficiency/ lower tech is probably not in the cards.

The question I ask someone installing any HVAC equipment is: Will a repairman have replacement parts in his truck for this unit? And if not, will the parts be available at his distributor? It's an important question, there have been people in the peak of heating season waiting weeks for a special circuit board or sensor for their expensive super-efficient system. Worse yet I've heard of companies that stop supporting their product after 10 years leaving that specialty circuit board unavailable. Fortunately there are companies that will repair the circuit board, but it takes weeks.

For me I want standard controls that are available everywhere, along with standard or widely avialable motors, gas valves, whatever so I can be back up and running quickly. I will sacrifice a few percent of efficiency for that.

But to each their own.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:36 AM   #8
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I didn't say Foley was small. Honestly I wouldn't know how to quantify small, I think that is a subjective measure, small to one person may be large to someone else. My point was to try to find an installer with a good reputation as there are many sub-par installers out there and some frankly that are dishonest in my opinion, doing things and charging prices that are extreme. Caveat emptor.

From his last post, it seems that Bigdog already has a high-efficiency furnace, with leds and circuit boards. For what it's worth, I agree with The Professor that lower tech is more desirable and less troublesome than higher tech. Unfortunately since Bigdog isn't using a chimney now lower efficiency/ lower tech is probably not in the cards.

The question I ask someone installing any HVAC equipment is: Will a repairman have replacement parts in his truck for this unit? And if not, will the parts be available at his distributor? It's an important question, there have been people in the peak of heating season waiting weeks for a special circuit board or sensor for their expensive super-efficient system. Worse yet I've heard of companies that stop supporting their product after 10 years leaving that specialty circuit board unavailable. Fortunately there are companies that will repair the circuit board, but it takes weeks.

For me I want standard controls that are available everywhere, along with standard or widely avialable motors, gas valves, whatever so I can be back up and running quickly. I will sacrifice a few percent of efficiency for that.

But to each their own.
Interesting you say that. Had my furnace installed about 9 years back. Came with a aqua stat controller. After two failures in three years it was suggested we swap it out for a basic Honeywell stat. “Knock on wood” been fine since

Old 02-08-2023, 01:14 PM   #9
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
We have been a Foley customer for years.
No show here. And never returned phone calls.

Customer would want a heating contractor to return phone calls and actually show up for repairs.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:24 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

Agree. Disappointing to hear that

Old 02-08-2023, 02:12 PM   #11
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
No show here. And never returned phone calls.

Customer would want a heating contractor to return phone calls and actually show up for repairs.
Sorry to hear that, are you a regular customer? I switched to them when Fuller left me without oil in a January cold snap, then offered to deliver 10 gallons, which would have lasted less than a day since the house was at 35 degrees. Called Foley, they showed up that day, filled me up and I haven't looked back. I always get through and they show up when planned.

They do seem really busy though, as are most of these companies, so it's good to keep a relationship with any company you have to rely on.
Old 02-08-2023, 06:39 PM   #12
John Mercier

That is why I wondered about the current staffing size.
I see their help wanted signs up on my way to work and home.
Just wasn't sure what the current staffing and workload might have been.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:00 PM   #13
ITD

I would have guessed about a dozen employees at Foleys, but looking at their website, it might be more. They have a pretty good sized service area. I'll try to remember to ask next time I talk to them.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:44 PM   #14
fatlazyless

Located in beautiful Laconia NH, close to Lake Opechee and Lake Winnisquam, here's https://staffordoil.com/residential-heating/equipment with a photo of their heating service/installation dept.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:08 PM   #15
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Most of the heating and plumbing guys are straight out after last weekend's severe cold. If they don't have an answering service they probably aren't going to return phone calls unless you're a regular customer.
Probably not what people want to hear but it's a fact of the labor shortage.
Everywhere I go I see Serv-Pro trucks and they just do the clean up after the heat and the leaks are repaired.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:26 PM   #16
GregW11

We’ve relied on Stafford for maintenance of our Buderus oil furnace and oil/propane supplier for 7 years. Always answer the phone. Always pleasant and professional - even this weekend. Give ‘em a call - if they can’t help they’ll give you a solid recommendation.

We’ve also had fantastic experience with Steve Buy Heating & Cooling in Moultonborough. If he can’t help you he’ll give you a solid recommendation. Plus he will answer his phone!

GregW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:22 PM   #17
bigdog

Default Stafford Oil review

I've contacted Stafford Oil to perform a complete review of my propane furnace system, and requirements and to provide an estimate for replacement.

On their website they indicate their furnace brands are as follows, however, I'm not sure which one on the list are propane, as I think they lump them all together:

Peerless (oil & gas).
Buderus
Biasi
System 2000
Bradford White
Bosch
Rinnai
Empire
Toyotomi
Thermo Pride

Would like to hear your feedback about these brands, but just for propane
Good or bad ?.

Thanks !
Old 02-09-2023, 07:34 PM   #18
TheProfessor

Quote:
I've contacted Stafford Oil to perform a complete review of my propane furnace system, and requirements and to provide an estimate for replacement.

Peerless (oil & gas).
Buderus
Biasi
System 2000
Bradford White
Bosch
Rinnai
Empire
Toyotomi
Thermo Pride
Thermo Pride has a long history of providing reliable service.
Would not hesitate to get a Thermo Pride product.
LINK

Many on the above list are boilers and wall heaters.