Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Grant

Default Abenaki Tower Vandalism

As if the constant, incessant defacing of Abenaki Tower wasn't bad enough (and believe me, it's reached new levels of ridiculousness this year), now it seems that vandals are not just content in leaving their awful "artwork" on the Tower itself, but on the rocks along the trail leading to the site.

As someone who's been fortunate enough to enjoy the Tower (and its predecessor) for my entire life, it befuddles me to no end imaging the mindset of someone who does this (and trust me, I've seen it all up there -- everything from a full-sized bedroom mirror smashed on the top level to a pile of human poop left behind). The conversation probably goes like this:

"Hey, let's go to Abenaki Tower and check out the views!"

"Okay, sounds like fun! But wait -- I have to go fetch my yellow spray paint, a few fat Sharpie markers, a brush, and perhaps a can of paint. Can't climb the tower without scrawling infantile nonsense all over it for everyone to enjoy!"

When we're at the Lake, which is often, we visit the Tower daily -- usually for sunset. I would love, just once, to be there when someone is toting a brush and paint...just to ask them what they think they are accomplishing...if there's a sense of achievement or satisfaction gained from painting a big yellow pac man on the Tower. If they possessed half a brain (which is highly doubtful), they'd be mightily embarrassed.

This is probably a futile rant, because the typical vandal would never be on this forum -- it takes more than one brain cell to type a URL into a browser.
camp guy (08-13-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
RailroadJoe

Here and at the Madison Boulder. Where next "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier". Can not understand the defacing of property, no matter where or what it is or what it stands for.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Grant

It was the Madison Boulder story that made me think of it again. Just senseless...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Jonas Pilot

I don't understand either. What do you think of after you have vandalized something? Gee, I hope that makes someone upset?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Onshore

2 words.. "game camera"
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-08-2012), GTO (08-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
TomC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
2 words.. "game camera"
it would probably get vandalized...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
LadyJane

It really makes me sad to hear that there has been more vandalism there. Abenaki Tower is a special place to me. I was just there last Thursday with my daughter and two grandchildren and took pictures of them at that big rock near the beginning of the trail. My son Bryan loved New Hampshire and we all have pictures of him at the top of Abenaki Tower his last summer. We went to the top of the tower on his birthday and released balloons in his memory. My bright little 6 year old grand daughter noticed the "bad words" scrawled on the wooden structure. It baffles my mind, why people do this. They come there because it's beautiful.......and leave it marked up. Makes no sense.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyJane For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Lucy Goose

It seems to go on everywhere and I will also add those who litter or throw cigarette butts out there window. And while I'm at the pollution of the human body with all these ridiculous tattoos. I know they are popular but I have never cared for them. I think the human body, as well as the world is better left untouched.

Just my two cents!
Lucy Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
jrc

People have been vandalizing stuff since there were people. Must be something in our DNA. Still sucks but the only prevention is connstant observation.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
It seems to go on everywhere and I will also add those who litter or throw cigarette butts out there window. And while I'm at the pollution of the human body with all these ridiculous tattoos. I know they are popular but I have never cared for them. I think the human body, as well as the world is better left untouched.

Just my two cents!
I am with you. When I was 17 , and a newly minted US Navy Sailor, I got two tattoos..one on each arm. ($5 bucks each) They were in living color. I never got any more. Those tatoos are still there and they have been Black and unintelligible for almost 50 years. The COLOR goes away very fast. I wasn't as smart then as I am now I guess.

If you know a young person who wants to get a tattoo..SLAP THE SNOT out of them until they get the message. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Jonas Pilot

Tattoos and LED lights on a boat. I think they're great!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Jonas Pilot

It really is upsetting when the joy of anything is ruined by vandals.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
NoBozo

How long will it be before... LED Tatoos....mini implants... NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Jonas Pilot

Maybe we need a fake Abenaki Tower.

There has got to be a time when we say,"Enough is enough". It's just like politics. A few ruin it for many.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Maybe we need a fake Abenaki Tower.

There has got to be a time when we say,"Enough is enough". It's just like politics. A few ruin it for many.
The only way to stop this nonsense is to put significant punishments in place for vandalisim. Think Singapore and gum. After a short period of time and several penalties imposed, the acts of vandalsim would virtually cease. Unfortunately, the ACLU and similar organizations would never stand for it.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #16
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
The only way to stop this nonsense is to put significant punishments in place for vandalisim. Think Singapore and gum. After a short period of time and several penalties imposed, the acts of vandalsim would virtually cease. Unfortunately, the ACLU and similar organizations would never stand for it.
I agree with secondcurve.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 08-09-2012 at 04:55 AM. Reason: I think gum = Guam?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Simple -- just toss the vandals from the top of the tower as they are caught. Swift, effective, and guaranteed no repeat offenders.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
RailroadJoe

Return to the old west. Vigilante justice? Really.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
NBR

Default B rain Power

Grant,

Not enough brain power in the vandals noggin to create embarrassment.
NBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NBR For This Useful Post:
Grant (08-13-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The problem is people want to be able to leave a sign that they have been somewhere... It isn't good enough anymore to say hey I have been there, or even show a picture of the place with you in it... Because every one knows how to crop pictures on the computer...

So what have the infantile schmucks begun to do to prove to their friends that they have been some where??? They leave a tag, their signature, and take a picture of it... It seems funny at the time, and ends up on you tube if it is a video and all seems right in the world...

What the infantile schmucks fail to realize is that the next person has to see their signature and be distracted by it... it is a lack of consideration for anyone else that has brought the American culture to it present inconsideration of property and people......
Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #21
GTO

Default and its not just kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
It really is upsetting when the joy of anything is ruined by vandals.
And its not just kids doing it. Go under the Long Island Bridge. Beer bottles and other trash placed there under the bridge. Wow, must feel pretty cool to do that. Its just ignorant. The inner city is moving up to the lakes region....look around
Old 08-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
SIKSUKR

People that vandalize are usually people that don't own property or even cars.If they did,the punishment I would deal out would have a lasting effect.Vandalize their possesions and see how they feel about that.
VitaBene (08-11-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #23
WakeboardMom

There is now a spray-painted phrase on the Long Island Bridge. It's huge, and it was done over a period of at least a couple of days. The outline was done first and then they went back in filled in the letters. It's an awful sight. : (
Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #24
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
There is now a spray-painted phrase on the Long Island Bridge. It's huge, and it was done over a period of at least a couple of days. The outline was done first and then they went back in filled in the letters. It's an awful sight. : (
Marie , that is horrible, I will take a look tomorrow and then talk with whoever (Mboro Road Agent or NHMP) to figure out how to get it removed. I will volunteer my time.

Vandalism and littering are two of my pet hates. It shows a total lack of respect for our society in general. It really makes me sad
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #25
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Marie , that is horrible, I will take a look tomorrow and then talk with whoever (Mboro Road Agent or NHMP) to figure out how to get it removed. I will volunteer my time.

Vandalism and littering are two of my pet hates. It shows a total lack of respect for our society in general. It really makes me sad
Thank you for that, VB. We had guests this weekend that asked "Who would do such a thing?" Even my crazy kids who may or may not have jumped from the bridge are shaking their heads.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #26
camp guy

Default Abenaki Tower vandalism

I agree completely with Grant about the vandalism.

It will be interesting when some of these youthful vandals become parents, and want to take their children to the top for the views, and then they have to explain some of the grafitti, both narrative and pictorial, to their young children.

Let them vandalize the side of their own home or garage if they are so intent on spraying and marking up something.

Dropping someone off the top might be a little extreme, but the thought is appealing.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #27
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
It will be interesting when some of these youthful vandals become parents, and want to take their children to the top for the views, and then they have to explain some of the grafitti, both narrative and pictorial, to their young children.
Somehow I don't envision these individuals as becoming that type of parent...
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #28
ChocolateGypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
[edit]The conversation probably goes like this:

"Hey, let's go to Abenaki Tower and check out the views!"

"Okay, sounds like fun! But wait -- I have to go fetch my yellow spray paint, a few fat Sharpie markers, a brush, and perhaps a can of paint. Can't climb the tower without scrawling infantile nonsense all over it for everyone to enjoy!"
[edit]
Actually, it goes more like:
"Hey, let's go to (Some secluded location) and get high/stoned/drunk/wasted...!"

Which explains why nothing you find makes any sense.

Just droppin' in for a bite.
ChocolateGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

I was told by the Moultonborough Road Agent that the bridge is under the jurisdiction of NHDOT regarding cleaning. I have no contacts there...
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #30
CateP

Default A Sign of the Times

I like the idea of a game camera and a sign saying the premises is monitored by hidden video cameras. I once got a sign to protect my fish pond in NJ. I didn't have a hidden video camera, but vandals didn't know that.

We recently went to the tower and saw the latest "artwork". They painted huge faces and colors all over the thing. This is worst I've seen. ( I will admit I wrote my initials up on the top in corner back in the 80's.)

At this point I'm wondering how to get rid of the offending spray paint? Paint the entire tower?
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #31
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I was told by the Moultonborough Road Agent that the bridge is under the jurisdiction of NHDOT regarding cleaning. I have no contacts there...
And he/she didn't offer to pass along the info?

From the DOT website: Bridge Maintenance - dgosling@dot.state.nh.us

Email sent.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #32
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateP View Post
I like the idea of a game camera and a sign saying the premises is monitored by hidden video cameras. I once got a sign to protect my fish pond in NJ. I didn't have a hidden video camera, but vandals didn't know that.

We recently went to the tower and saw the latest "artwork". They painted huge faces and colors all over the thing. This is worst I've seen. ( I will admit I wrote my initials up on the top in corner back in the 80's.)

At this point I'm wondering how to get rid of the offending spray paint? Paint the entire tower?
This message is not for Cate. So we are to condemn vandals when she, who appears to be a responsible adult, admit that she did it when she was younger? Not excusing the act, but we all need to look back into our past for errors in judgement. Why? Because we were kids! Don't excuse it, just understand why it was done. Then move on to more important issues.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #33
rgilfert

Default Fools Names....

I remember hiking frequently up to the tower back in the late 1950s & 60s with my Mom from our cottage near Wawbeek. Back in those days all of the graffiti was done with pocket knives (spray paint probably didn't exist then). Every time we went, my Mom would always say "Fools' names and fools' faces always appear in public places". Needless to say....our names were never carved up there!
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #34
WakeboardMom

The bridge at Long Island is now under consideration for clean-up by the NHDOT. It's not a high priority, as it doesn't contribute to a bridge being unsafe.

Also, according to the bridge maintenance engineer, unless there is an enforcement component, sometimes a clean surface is an invitation for new artwork.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #35
Belmont Resident

Default Inner city has been here for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And its not just kids doing it. Go under the Long Island Bridge. Beer bottles and other trash placed there under the bridge. Wow, must feel pretty cool to do that. Its just ignorant. The inner city is moving up to the lakes region....look around
Since before I moved up here things in the Laconia area have been going down hill.
Most manufacturing has left this area and gone elsewhere. Laconia has one of the highest tax rates around so who wants to move their business or even live there. Belmont has the same problem.
For years I've noticed for rent, and for sale signs sitting up for longer and longer periods.
Laconia's crime and drug problems have been getting worse with the economy.
Yup the lakes a great place but some of the surrounding areas have the same problems as many inner cities do.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #36
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
I remember hiking frequently up to the tower back in the late 1950s & 60s with my Mom from our cottage near Wawbeek. Back in those days all of the graffiti was done with pocket knives (spray paint probably didn't exist then). Every time we went, my Mom would always say "Fools' names and fools' faces always appear in public places". Needless to say....our names were never carved up there!
That's funny -- I learned the same saying as a kid, and I think it all began in reference to the tower. Perhaps a Wawbeek Shore thing...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #37
ApS

Default It Would Last the Entire Season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
The bridge at Long Island is now under consideration for clean-up by the NHDOT. It's not a high priority, as it doesn't contribute to a bridge being unsafe.

Also, according to the bridge maintenance engineer, unless there is an enforcement component, sometimes a clean surface is an invitation for new artwork.
Every Spring—and for a mere pittance—NHDOT could hire FLL to rub a thin coating of Vasoline over the surface.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #38
CateP

Quote:
... my Mom would always say "Fools' names and fools' faces always appear in public places". Needless to say....our names were never carved up there!
Great quote-Maybe I'll write that one up there somewhere....(kidding)
CateP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #39
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
My Mom always said that too, well, almost. I think she said "are always found" instead of "always appear. But same idea. I haven't heard that for so long. Thanks for the reminder.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote