Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 AM   #1
Bizer

Default Some navigation changes for 2018

Bizer talked with Captain Dunleavy about various boating navigation topics earlier this week, to wit:

NO-RAFTING IN WINTER HARBOR: In the summer of 2015, Bizer received an email from a boater who had received a ticket for anchoring in a no-rafting area that was not depicted on Bizer's chart. Bizer discovered that the regulation was ambiguously written and needed correction. Apparently, there was a hearing in Concord last week to clarify the regulation. No member of the general public attended or spoke at the hearing. A new regulation is expected this spring and will approximate the area depicted on Bizer's 11th edition (2016). Bizer will inform on this forum when the regulations are re-written.

Bouy decommissioned near Twenty-Mile Bay: There was a lone red-and-white spar about 400m (1/4 mile) northwest of Sawyer's Point and 800m (1/2 mile) north-northeast of The Graveyard. It is shown next to an "8" foot depth. This buoy has been removed and will not be replaced. The Marine Patrol feels that the eight foot depth is deeper than any boat that would venture into this area.

Phantom buoy in Paugus Bay: In the spring of 2016, Bizer noticed a new buoy about 90m south of light "82" in Paugus Bay. We notified the MP who said it was not authorized and would be removed. In September, 2017, Bizer noticed that it had re-appeared. Captain Dunleavy said that the MP has removed three buoys in this location over the past two years. So if you see a red buoy about 50m off shore at the Quarterdeck Motel, send Bizer an email and/or call the Marine Patrol.

Navigating between Big Island and Little Island in Paugus Bay has been a problem. Boats frequently run aground. When Bizer rented a boat from Anchor Marine last fall (Thanks, Bob) for our annual survey, their rental agreement forbid traveling between these two islands. The Marine Patrol will be creating a "channel" between these two islands marked by pairs of red/black buoys similar to the Six-Pack or Graveyard channel. The specifics have yet to be determined.
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bizer For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-24-2018), Cobalt 25 (07-24-2018), diz (06-10-2018), Sue Doe-Nym (06-10-2018), TheRoBoat (06-09-2018), Winni P (06-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Thank you for the update. Extremely informative.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
eyvoom

Thank you!! Boating season is coming up quick this year.
eyvoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
Bandrews7

Good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
harbor guy

Hey Bizer, looks like the Winter Harbor "No Rafting" coordinates have been revised.
Taken from NH Dept of Safety, Rules and Laws...

(7) The area of Winter Harbor from the southern boundary of the town of Tuftonboro tax map 51, block 3, lot number 14 to the southern boundary of tax map 51, block 1, lot number 20;
harbor guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbor guy View Post
Hey Bizer, looks like the Winter Harbor "No Rafting" coordinates have been revised.
Taken from NH Dept of Safety, Rules and Laws...

(7) The area of Winter Harbor from the southern boundary of the town of Tuftonboro tax map 51, block 3, lot number 14 to the southern boundary of tax map 51, block 1, lot number 20;
I noticed that about a week ago. I was waiting until I updated my chart before I responded. Note: As of this writing, the NHMP web site still has their old regulation.

There is still one minor ambiguity in the new regulation: No direction is specified. The regulation should say something like, "The area of Winter Harbor northwest of a line from ... " but it does not. Regulations should not be ambiguous. Without a direction, someone might claim that the no-rafting area only applies to boats sitting on the line itself.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bizer; 07-21-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Bizer

Northwest of Worcester Island in Wolfeboro, Bizer's chart shows four buoys in a quadrangle. These buoys mark a fields of rocks. Some of these rocks are less than three feet below the surface. In mid-July, someone reported to Bizer that two additional buoys have been added. At this time, I don't know the exact location of these new buoys or why they were added in the first place. I shall report here if I receive further information.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Garcia

Default Buoys between Bear and Pine?

Thanks for the update. Does anyone have any more information about the buoys between Bear and Pine? Where there used to be a black and red, there are now two red buoys. Earlier on the forum people seemed to think it is a mistake and MP was planning to correct it. I contacted MP via email but never heard back. Just wondering is this is indeed a mistake or done on purpose.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
jeffk

I have a question. Wouldn't it be helpful if the MP told Bizer when it made buoy changes to help disseminate information more effectively to the public? All it would take is a courtesy email.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #10
BoatHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizer View Post
Northwest of Worcester Island in Wolfeboro, Bizer's chart shows four buoys in a quadrangle. These buoys mark a fields of rocks. Some of these rocks are less than three feet below the surface. In mid-July, someone reported to Bizer that two additional buoys have been added. At this time, I don't know the exact location of these new buoys or why they were added in the first place. I shall report here if I receive further information.
Two of the four buoys have a plain white buoy next to them. Makes it a lot easier to see the markers in various lighting conditions.
BoatHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #11
Bizer

Quote:
(24-JUL-18) Northwest of Worcester Island in Wolfeboro, Bizer's chart shows four buoys in a quadrangle. These buoys mark a fields of rocks. Some of these rocks are less than three feet below the surface. In mid-July, someone reported to Bizer that two additional buoys have been added. At this time, I don't know the exact location of these new buoys or why they were added in the first place. I shall report here if I receive further information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatHouse View Post
(26-JUL-18) Two of the four buoys have a plain white buoy next to them. Makes it a lot easier to see the markers in various lighting conditions.
I visited this area on September 23rd and found no additional buoys. I guess we'll never know their purpose.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
Top-Water

Quote:
Navigating between Big Island and Little Island in Paugus Bay has been a problem. Boats frequently run aground. When Bizer rented a boat from Anchor Marine last fall (Thanks, Bob) for our annual survey, their rental agreement forbid traveling between these two islands. The Marine Patrol will be creating a "channel" between these two islands marked by pairs of red/black buoys similar to the Six-Pack or Graveyard channel. The specifics have yet to be determined.
Thanks for this information, this has not happened yet. As you mentioned "The specifics have yet to be determined." Was out there yesterday for a while fishing. No solid red and black markers yet defining a channel. One of the places I have warned my son not to go thru, with the larger gas motor, when fishing. Very dangerous area if you don't know where the rocks are, although knowledgeable locals seem to navigate it on plane just fine but I would never chance it. Solid red and blacks will be nice when it gets completed.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote