Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
4Fun

Default first time ice fishing questions

What are the reccomendations for a first time ice fisherman?
Place, bait etc.

I purchsed some gear for my 8 year old son for christmas and he is excited to go.
We have 4 traps, 2 jig rods and an auger, scoop, etc. We have no shack or bob house.

Where would you go for a few hours. We are in the Wiers area.
We are not picky about what type of fish or size . If we pulled a sunfish up he would be excited.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of ice fishing!! Your son will always remember the time you spent with him on the ice and will cherish it!!

If I were you I would head over to AJ's tackle in Meredith and pickup some shiners or smelt as bait. Tell AJ this is your first time out and he will help you out with everything you need to know. If your not picky about the fish you catch pretty much anywhere there is safe ice should produce something but again ask AJ for his recommendations, he will steer you in the right direction.

Welcome!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
4Fun

Tahnks well go tot AJ's and ask.
Should be fun.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Check out this list of Kids ice fishing events

They have a kids event on Lily Pond in Gilford, ( right near the airport)

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Fish...ament_kids.htm

He could find some fishing buddies!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
MikeF-NH

this is the time of year that safety should be first on your mind. Ice is "rotting" and can be unpredicatable. Find smaller ponds (in general) for better ice. With all the snow on top and slush under that, you will have tired legs and wet feet fairly quickly so remember to take him off the ice before he asks to be taken off or he might hesitate next time in going. Bring extra mittens because kids see water and HAVE to put their hands in it. Bring a small grill and hotdogs because a warm meal does wonders to keep everyone going.

I would also recommend going the first time by yourself so you aren't learning while your son waits "patiently". Its very easy to learn but you don't want him waiting too long for anything.

When my kids were young (and less patient), I would go onto the ice first at first light and leave them at home. I would drill all holes and set my traps then call their mom to bring them out. This way, when they got there, everything was already setup.

For the basics:
-target panfish...bass, perch, pickerel are easy to get and provide excitment...waiting all day for 1-2 trout is not a game kids like to play
-get medium shiners and put them 2 feet off bottom. To find bottom, ask AJ for a "sounder", clip it to your bare hook and drop to bottom until you hit bottom. Note where your line is at ice level then reel up to this point and then another 2.5 feet beyond that...most guys attach a button to the line that can slide up and down to mark that depth so they just reel up to the button on each catch.
-I usually look for a point of land that extends out to the main pond/lake and drill my first hole 20 feet off shore.
-when a flag goes up, watch the spool for a while until it stops before grabbing it...give the fish time to eat the bait. Give a good jerk to set the hook then when you hand your boy the line, make sure his glove are OFF so he can feel the fish (he won't feel a thing with glove on). While he is pulling in line, stand behind him to keep the line "neat" so it doesn't knot up and make sure he puts the fish on the ice OPPOSITE the pile of line. If you don't do this, he WILL put the fish on the pile of line and the flopping fish will make a big tangled mess.

This should get your started. Lots of small ponds around to check. The fish and game website has maps of many lakes and ponds to try.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (02-27-2013), SteveA (02-28-2013), trfour (02-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
4Fun

More great advice, Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
this is the time of year that safety should be first on your mind. Ice is "rotting" and can be unpredicatable. Find smaller ponds (in general) for better ice. With all the snow on top and slush under that, you will have tired legs and wet feet fairly quickly so remember to take him off the ice before he asks to be taken off or he might hesitate next time in going. Bring extra mittens because kids see water and HAVE to put their hands in it. Bring a small grill and hotdogs because a warm meal does wonders to keep everyone going.

I would also recommend going the first time by yourself so you aren't learning while your son waits "patiently". Its very easy to learn but you don't want him waiting too long for anything.

When my kids were young (and less patient), I would go onto the ice first at first light and leave them at home. I would drill all holes and set my traps then call their mom to bring them out. This way, when they got there, everything was already setup.

For the basics:
-target panfish...bass, perch, pickerel are easy to get and provide excitment...waiting all day for 1-2 trout is not a game kids like to play
-get medium shiners and put them 2 feet off bottom. To find bottom, ask AJ for a "sounder", clip it to your bare hook and drop to bottom until you hit bottom. Note where your line is at ice level then reel up to this point and then another 2.5 feet beyond that...most guys attach a button to the line that can slide up and down to mark that depth so they just reel up to the button on each catch.
-I usually look for a point of land that extends out to the main pond/lake and drill my first hole 20 feet off shore.
-when a flag goes up, watch the spool for a while until it stops before grabbing it...give the fish time to eat the bait. Give a good jerk to set the hook then when you hand your boy the line, make sure his glove are OFF so he can feel the fish (he won't feel a thing with glove on). While he is pulling in line, stand behind him to keep the line "neat" so it doesn't knot up and make sure he puts the fish on the ice OPPOSITE the pile of line. If you don't do this, he WILL put the fish on the pile of line and the flopping fish will make a big tangled mess.

This should get your started. Lots of small ponds around to check. The fish and game website has maps of many lakes and ponds to try.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
Just remember no salmon through the hole. You need to know what a salmon looks like because you can not bring it out of the water when ice fishing. You must release in the hole. Ask AJ's to show you what salmon looks like.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Just remember no salmon through the hole. You need to know what a salmon looks like because you can not bring it out of the water when ice fishing. You must release in the hole. Ask AJ's to show you what salmon looks like.
Thanks, I did not know that... I know what a salmon looks like though.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
Thanks, I did not know that... I know what a salmon looks like though.
not true. It is recommended but not a rule. Very delicate fish.
JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Steveo

Default Not a rule but the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
not true. It is recommended but not a rule. Very delicate fish.
It is not only recommended but it is illegal!

This is from Fish & Game website:

Ice anglers should be aware that it is illegal to take landlocked salmon through the ice. Fish and Game strongly suggests that if anglers do catch a salmon while ice fishing, the line should be cut as close to the mouth as possible and the fish should be released without taking it out of the water. Landlocked salmon may only be taken during the open water season, April 1 - September 30.

When in doubt about identifying adult salmon and brown trout, play it safe and release the fish unharmed!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Read It Again...

The words "strongly suggest" is not a law. Yes the salmon cannot be kept and must be released per the law but there is no law that requires you to not take it out of the water or to cut your line.

"Ice anglers should be aware that it is illegal to take landlocked salmon through the ice. Fish and Game strongly suggests that if anglers do catch a salmon while ice fishing, the line should be cut as close to the mouth as possible and the fish should be released without taking it out of the water. Landlocked salmon may only be taken during the open water season, April 1 - September 30."

Just an fyi...I ALWAYS cut the line! The reason they don't want you taking them out of the water is because the eyes and gills will freeze right up on cold days most likely killing the fish.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
JoeG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
The words "strongly suggest" is not a law. Yes the salmon cannot be kept and must be released per the law but there is no law that requires you to not take it out of the water or to cut your line.

"Ice anglers should be aware that it is illegal to take landlocked salmon through the ice. Fish and Game strongly suggests that if anglers do catch a salmon while ice fishing, the line should be cut as close to the mouth as possible and the fish should be released without taking it out of the water. Landlocked salmon may only be taken during the open water season, April 1 - September 30."

Just an fyi...I ALWAYS cut the line! The reason they don't want you taking them out of the water is because the eyes and gills will freeze right up on cold days most likely killing the fish.

Dan
You are spot on!!
JoeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
Semantics...just don't bring the salmon out of the hole for the reason Dan says.

BTW: The reason I thought it was law was due to actions the Fish and Game took with one of my friends. Fish and Game found him with a salmon on the ice next to his hole. He said he was about to put it back, they told him he had to release "in the hole" without bringing it out. Maybe they are interpreting "through the ice" literally.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
hilltopper

It is frustratingly common to get three different interpretations of the same rule by three different game wardens...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #15
HomeWood

If they (salmon) are lip hooked or close to it, I lip hold them in the water and pop the hook. If it's deep, I cut the line. It's safer for them instead of possibly causing them to bleed out.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote