Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
DesertDweller

Default Long Bay/Southdown Shores

We have been renting in Moultonborough for the last six years and have really come to love the Lake and the whole experience we have when we come back each year. We have been looking at buying a house for a while and have decided it would work best for the family (two boys) to buy in a community that has a beach, boat docks, tennis/sport courts, nice people, etc. We are not that familar with the Laconia area but in looking at the Long Bay/Southdown area it appears to be a really good fit for us. Does anyone have any opinion on these communities? Any other communities we should be looking at? Thanks in advance for your help. Jeff
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
brk-lnt

We have a condo in SouthDown, I'd say that for the most part we're extremely happy with everything.

Like any large HOA, there are always a few rules and regulations that seem a little overboard, but nothing that detracts from the overall enjoyment.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them here, or PM me.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
winnipiseogee

The only problem with Southdown is that the laconia location means high property taxes. I would at least check out Grouse Pointe in Meredith and Jonathan's Landing in Moultonboro. Best of luck!
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
We have a condo in SouthDown, I'd say that for the most part we're extremely happy with everything.

Like any large HOA, there are always a few rules and regulations that seem a little overboard, but nothing that detracts from the overall enjoyment.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them here, or PM me.
How does this always seem to happen? People that belong to associations have rules and regs that they don't like. Yet they are there. Now I understand us not having any control over town, state, federal government but you would think in something as closely controlled as an association that rules wouldn't be overboard. Yet I hear this over and over from people who live in associations. I am so glad I don't live it one. When we first bought property on the lake, one of my top priorities was that I NOT live in an association and I am so glad we don't.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
White Rook (08-06-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
How does this always seem to happen? People that belong to associations have rules and regs that they don't like. Yet they are there. Now I understand us not having any control over town, state, federal government but you would think in something as closely controlled as an association that rules wouldn't be overboard. Yet I hear this over and over from people who live in associations. I am so glad I don't live it one. When we first bought property on the lake, one of my top priorities was that I NOT live in an association and I am so glad we don't.
For the most part, the overall HOA at SouthDown does a good job of making sure the entire development is maintained and that you don't end up with things getting out of control.

Most of the regs that I can think of that I don't like are all minor things. Stuff like kids have to be 16 in order to drive golf carts on their own. Personally, I think that is stupid nanny-state garbage. I'm not saying a 5 year old should be sent off on their own, but at least by 13 if your kid can't handle a golf-cart, you've probably got some other issues to deal with... (note: we don't have kids, so at the end of the day this doesn't really matter to me anyway).

I think you end up with these sorts of things though because the people who don't like some of the regs are usually off boating and enjoying themselves instead of concentrating on the governmental administrivia So, the oversight tends to naturally end up at the hands of people whose hobby is getting in everyone else's business.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Resident 2B

A lot of the rules that asssociations have come from their insurance companies. You need master policies to cover the associations, so you have to live with the rules imposed by the insurance carriers. I am in a small association in Laconia and finding an insurance company that does not have a long list of rules to impose on you is impossible.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Begonezvous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
We have been renting in Moultonborough for the last six years and have really come to love the Lake and the whole experience we have when we come back each year. We have been looking at buying a house for a while and have decided it would work best for the family (two boys) to buy in a community that has a beach, boat docks, tennis/sport courts, nice people, etc. We are not that familar with the Laconia area but in looking at the Long Bay/Southdown area it appears to be a really good fit for us. Does anyone have any opinion on these communities? Any other communities we should be looking at? Thanks in advance for your help. Jeff
Check out Hidden Valley in Tuftonboro on Lower Beech Pond. Not appropriate for most power boats but meets all of the other criteria. Nice quiet lake with 2 community beaches, marina and tennis courts. 10 minutes from downtown Wolfeboro.
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Liquorish

After growing up spending many summers in Tuftonboro, then as an adult living on our boat with my family of 3, we decided to take the plunge and buy a home in Long Bay 2 yrs ago. Great choice, as it's an easy commute from Ma. We find long bay to be a very nice community.
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
A lot of the rules that asssociations have come from their insurance companies. You need master policies to cover the associations, so you have to live with the rules imposed by the insurance carriers. I am in a small association in Laconia and finding an insurance company that does not have a long list of rules to impose on you is impossible.

R2B
This may be true. The rules were written back in 1978. My condo owners insurance company told me that the association coverage should be change to latest coverage. The associaton and condo owners can benefit in savings in the long run. Guess what the BOD cannot tolerate any change whatsoever. 'If it ain't broken don't fix it.'
Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
DesertDweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
The only problem with Southdown is that the laconia location means high property taxes. I would at least check out Grouse Pointe in Meredith and Jonathan's Landing in Moultonboro. Best of luck!
Thanks for all of the replies. Really good point on the property taxes in Laconia. Is there a reason why the Laconia tax rates are higher than the other towns in the Region?

Last edited by DesertDweller; 08-06-2012 at 11:42 AM.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
AC2717

speaking from experience, it is not so much the rules of the association, because most are common sense or there is a reason behind it, but usually it is because of a another unit owner getting into it with another unit owner, or something to this affect in any way shape or form, which is why things get out of hand.

GIve you an example:
Cousins place, his neighbor is elderly, and drives down the grass to his cottage, leaves his car there like a parking spot, no one cares he drives it down there, but the guy leaves his car and blocks my cousins view of the lake. He has asked him not to leave it there or park on the other side of the cottage but the person wont. He is buddy buddy with the association president and they both say he can park there which obviously he cannot it goes on and on
Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post

R2B
What rules can they impose other than liability/safety concerns. The example given and just using it that 16 year olds and up can only drive golf carts, that is not an insurance guideline, it might have been a suggestion but they cannot tell you, you have to impose this law. - Speaking from a person that works in the business and if this is the case go to another insurance carrier and or agent

Also any changes to by laws or amendements need to be approved by the BOD and then brought to the Association and approived by the whole association by at least 2/3rds in most cases.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
For the most part, the overall HOA at SouthDown does a good job of making sure the entire development is maintained and that you don't end up with things getting out of control.

Most of the regs that I can think of that I don't like are all minor things. Stuff like kids have to be 16 in order to drive golf carts on their own. Personally, I think that is stupid nanny-state garbage. I'm not saying a 5 year old should be sent off on their own, but at least by 13 if your kid can't handle a golf-cart, you've probably got some other issues to deal with... (note: we don't have kids, so at the end of the day this doesn't really matter to me anyway).

I think you end up with these sorts of things though because the people who don't like some of the regs are usually off boating and enjoying themselves instead of concentrating on the governmental administrivia So, the oversight tends to naturally end up at the hands of people whose hobby is getting in everyone else's business.
Although I do not live in SD I do a fair amount of work in there as well as Longbay.
First let me say the way some of the adults drive around in golf carts leaves me shaking my head. Enough said there.
As for the whole association thing I've heard so many complaints I've realized that it could never be for me. I think the biggest complaint I've heard is when the board changes hands and you get a majority or all and none are full time residents. This means you have a board with no idea of what happens M-F and from fall to spring and no vested interest because they just don't spend enough time there to truly care.
Yes it is all done through the election process but when the residents are far out numbered it is very easy to have this happen and have a board that's only concern is to spend a little as possible to get the lawns mowed and snow removed and other things done. Then if it isn't done all that well it doesn't matter because they do not live there so just ok is ok.
Another thing I've noticed is that you will have one board that has worked really hard to get quality contractors to maintain the buildings, then a new board comes in and flushes out all the contractors and hires less then quality workers which results in major repair costs down the road that the next board has to work on fixing.
AC2717 you would be surprised at what control insurance companies have over what they consider to be a safety issue or otherwise.
As mentioned in another thread an insurance company can and has raised rates or refused coverage if your house is peeling and needs a paint job.
DesertDweller good luck in your search, don't get me wrong there are a lot of different associations inside of SD, some are in turmoil while others fair very well. Do your homework and I am sure you will be rewarded.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #14
AC2717

Quote:
AC2717 you would be surprised at what control insurance companies have over what they consider to be a safety issue or otherwise.
As mentioned in another thread an insurance company can and has raised rates or refused coverage if your house is peeling and needs a paint job.
absolutely because that shows ownership pride and upkeep to minimize loss and without this they would not want to insured you because your risk of loss is greater than the next person down the street, who maintains their property and shows pride of ownership. No paint or peeling paint can lead to water damage, mold, mildew, interior damage, rot, etc... all things that a insurance company could pay a claim on. good paint job minimizes this (the short version basically)
I am an insurance agent by day and on weekends I am a lake resident
I deal with all these situations every day on a case by case basis, but in my almost 10 years of doing this, I have never heard of a company say you have to make a rule for this or that. They might have suggested things but not imposed and if they did they should be reported, but they usually get around that because they just choose not to insure you for this reason or that, it is their right. Not to mention that is simply not legal for them to do

Agree with you on the do your homework part and also look at both aspects, if you can rent for a week or more first to get a feeling for the folks around you, take your time to read condo docs and meeting minutes for the past couple of association meetings to get a feel for the atmosphere. Remember what you read is not always what you get though. GOOD luCK!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Speaking of Subcontractors

I've seen BOD believe anything they say if it will save a penny. In the decade I have rented out the condo, I have seen a lot of persuasions by unscrupulous subcontractors. There is a lot out there!

One example, a painting contractor convinced the board to paint the decks with ordinary house paint instead of deck stain. I was up in arms but they approve it. A couple of years later everyone was complaining about the paint chalking and the chalk would ruin the carpets. Now they have to sand all the decks to bare wood and restain them. Big bucks!

The same subcontractor convinced the board latex paint will be cheaper than the solid stain that was originally on the buildings. There is now mega chipping and peeling.

Another example, replacing cedar siding that were rotted with pine sidings to save a few bucks. A few years later the pine sidings needs to be replaced. I recommended the composite boards and of course the board says it is too expensive!

I use to be a builder. I've been out the building business for almost 40 years and I still get phone calls from people to build by word of mouth. I did build one a few years ago and today's subcontractors gave me a bad taste in the mouth. I will never build again.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #16
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
absolutely because that shows ownership pride and upkeep to minimize loss and without this they would not want to insured you because your risk of loss is greater than the next person down the street, who maintains their property and shows pride of ownership. No paint or peeling paint can lead to water damage, mold, mildew, interior damage, rot, etc... all things that a insurance company could pay a claim on. good paint job minimizes this (the short version basically)
I am an insurance agent by day and on weekends I am a lake resident
I deal with all these situations every day on a case by case basis, but in my almost 10 years of doing this, I have never heard of a company say you have to make a rule for this or that. They might have suggested things but not imposed and if they did they should be reported, but they usually get around that because they just choose not to insure you for this reason or that, it is their right. Not to mention that is simply not legal for them to do

Agree with you on the do your homework part and also look at both aspects, if you can rent for a week or more first to get a feeling for the folks around you, take your time to read condo docs and meeting minutes for the past couple of association meetings to get a feel for the atmosphere. Remember what you read is not always what you get though. GOOD luCK!
Not saying it is a bad thing just saying, times are changing.
But I wish more people had your attitude about pride. Seems now that many are looking to spend the least but expect the best. Although there are a lot of great contractors in this area and I've worked with a few, there are also a lot of really bad ones.
What kills me is the number of homeowners who shoot for the lowest estimate then 2-3 years later that beautiful house is pealing and the painter is no where to be found.