Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
No-Mo-Shun

Default Old Runabout

Several years ago, I wrote in about a boat I remembered from the 1940's or 50's. It was called the "75 SPECIAL" and it used to go by Lake Shore Park a couple of times per summer. Well no one seemed able to remember this Gar Wood runabout and I was told that I was probably thinking of the "Legionaire 70". The other day, I stumbled on a story about Victoria Pier in Alton Bay. It was owned be Al Ouellette from Sandy Point in 1946 and he planned to sell speedboat rides on the "75 Special" at the pier. This boat was kept in a boat house in Alton Bay. The story follows:

In 1946 Allbrick Ouellette, “Al”, bought Victoria Pier from George Lynch with a dream of selling boat rides on his 36-foot runabout named “The 75 Special”. He also sold tickets for the Lake Winnipesaukee U.S. Mailboat “Tonimar”. Fares for a ride on the mailboat cost $1.50 for adults and $1.00 for children under twelve years old for a ten mile ride. During this time, Victoria Pier served meals to various people such as; Guy Lombardo, The Dorsey Brothers, Joe Penny and other musicians and bands who played at the Alton Bay Pavillion.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to No-Mo-Shun For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-01-2010), Just Sold (12-01-2010), Redwing (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
John A. Birdsall

Default legionaire

There were several boat rides out of alton bay. the legionaire, the little legionaire, 75 special, There were also gas stations for boats, Victoria peir, Davenports, and Downings, Now you have to go to Minge Cove or Roberts cove for gas. We even went into lune cove and carried the tanks across the street to gas, But only used that when we knew it would not make the bay.

You mentioned the mail boat in Alton Bay, that was a fine boat and the new owners have done a wonderful job in restoring it.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote