Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Area WebCAMs
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2004, 08:34 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow WolfeCam

I was very sad to see this notice on the WolfeCam page:

The Wolfecam is down until further notice. Unfortunately too many complaints are received every day in regards to the camera's performance. Complaints have even been sent to the business kind enough to host the location for the camera. Some of these complaints are outright rude. As I have stated many times before, the cameras are not very durable in constant sunlight, and have an average lifetime of 3 months. The cameras are not cheap. The one currently in place is 400.00. We cannot afford to keep purchasing new equipment to please everyone. We will not be replacing the camera unless one is donated. A suitable camera is about $1100.00 .
Thank You;
Keith Garrett
Wolfeboro Online

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 04-22-2004 at 01:04 PM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
Grant

Default Wolfecam

Yikes, I just toggled over to check Wolfecam to see how far the ice had receded, and instead saw the following message:

"The Wolfecam is down until further notice. Unfortunately too many complaints are received every day in regards to the camera's performance. Complaints have even been sent to the business kind enough to host the location for the camera. Some of these complaints are outright rude. As I have stated many times before, the cameras are not very durable in constant sunlight, and have an average lifetime of 3 months. The cameras are not cheap. The one currently in place is 400.00. We cannot afford to keep purchasing new equipment to please everyone. We will not be replacing the camera unless one is donated. A suitable camera is about $1100.00 .
Thank You;
Keith Garrett
Wolfeboro Online"

Now -- who are the boneheads who are griping about picture quality? And who are the bigger boneheads who complained to the business that hosts the camera? Unbelievable! You people never learned no manners from yer mammies, did you?

Well, Keith, for what it's worth, if you read this, some of us truly appreciated your efforts and the camera -- focus and all! And thanks to the business that hosted the device as well. It was very cool and a treat for those of us who spend too much time away from Wolfeboro. It's too bad that a few losers had to be so picky and whiney. I would apologize for them, but since I cannot fathom that level of rudeness, I won't even attempt. Thanks anyway!

Perhaps the "good" citizens of this virtual community could scrape together the dough to fund a new camera...
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:17 AM   #3
Pepper

Unhappy Wolfeboro Cam

Wow. I don't even know what else to say about that, except wow. Pretty sad statement. How did we regress to such an ungrateful society? So sad.
Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
Gilly 20

Default Gil & Mary Anne Peck

We only get to Wolfeboro once a year or so. The camera always brought us good memories and is a wonderful part of this website. We would be happy to contribute to the cost of a new camera-- we need someone to host the collection---any ideas??-- how bout the webmaster-?? HELP-- we would only need twenty or so people. Thanks and God Bless
Gilly 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:40 AM   #5
Chris Exley

Default WolfeCam not a part of winnipesaukee.com

While Don is gracious enough to have a link on his site, the Wolfecam is not a part of winnipesaukee.com. It is hosted by another site.
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #6
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Exley
While Don is gracious enough to have a link on his site, the Wolfecam is not a part of winnipesaukee.com. It is hosted by another site.
Understood. Just thought it would be of interest to other Lake webcam junkies and those familiar with that side of the Lake. I was really surprised that people would react that way. Call me naive.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:43 PM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
I was really surprised that people would react that way.
Sadly, I have to say that I receive complaints too. Especially about the WeirsCAM. Some are just friendly comments but some are not. With several thousand site visitors a day you just can't make everyone happy but the complaints do get frustrating, especially when the site is free! Fortunately the nice emails and comments far outweigh the complaints.

Wolfeboro.com has always had trouble keeping that camera running.

Maybe a few supportive emails to them would help.

Last edited by webmaster; 04-13-2004 at 10:18 PM.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
Melli_Fera

Hey Don! There's water all over the WeirsCAM! :rolleyes: What's wrong with you? Get up there with an umbrella and hold it over the camera! LOL :rolleyes:

Oh let the sun beat down upon my face... stars to fill my dreams
I am a traveler of both time and space... to be where I have been...
Melli_Fera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:05 PM   #9
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
Sadly, I have to say that I receive alot of complaints too. Especially about the WeirsCAM. Some are just friendly comments but some are not.
Don -- I like to think of Weirscam as a "first alert" system. Take, for example, the attached photo. Without this photo record of the Giant Spider Gawd that nearly devoured the Ossipees, Many Lakesters would've met their untimely demise.

(Granted, some folks would see this and insist that you station someone next to camera with a can of Raid...)
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2004, 03:31 PM   #10
tricia1218

I have enjoyed all the cams around the lake, as far as the complaints, sounds like too much free time. Complaining is what some people do for fun, they would never take time out of their schedule to do something for other people with the exeception of complaining. The cam will be missed.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #11
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melli_Fera
Hey Don! There's water all over the WeirsCAM! :rolleyes: What's wrong with you? Get up there with an umbrella and hold it over the camera! LOL :rolleyes:
I had to chuckle when I read your post. I have received many emails similar to this. When ice covers the camera housing's window I always get requests to clean it off. When I explain that it would involve a 5 hour round trip and a treacherous climb to an icy 3rd story roof of a closed building they sometimes still don't give up and suggest that I have one of my staff (that's a good one) do it.

And of course I've received many requests to put a windshield wiper and defroster on the camera. I bet some of this stuff helped push wolfeboro.com over the edge.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:50 PM   #12
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster
...When ice covers the camera housing's window I always get requests to clean it off. When I explain that it would involve a 5 hour round trip and a treacherous climb to an icy 3rd story roof of a closed building they sometimes still don't give up and suggest that I have one of my staff (that's a good one) do it.

And of course I've received many requests to put a windshield wiper and defroster on the camera. I bet some of this stuff helped push wolfeboro.com over the edge.
I hate to admit it, but I'm not surprised by any of this. Sad on one level, hilarious on another. My brother will often call me and tell me when there's a particularly cool distorted view -- whether it's water, ice, bugs, whatever, and I'll save the image. I have a whole collection of them dating back four or five years. I also try to catch the first visible snow each year...but usually miss it. And then there's the first visible bobhouse, first Mount sighting, first snowmobile tracks, etc. Weirscam has been my homepage for years -- can't imagine not getting my virtual "Lake fix"... Many thanks!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:06 PM   #13
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant
...when there's a particularly cool distorted view -- whether it's water, ice, bugs, whatever, and I'll save the image. I have a whole collection of them dating back four or five years.
For those who haven't seen it there is a collection of interesting views in the WeirsCAM Gallery:

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/weirscam/gallery.shtml
Old 04-13-2004, 04:37 PM   #14
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Is there any way we can somehow utilize your web site to come up with funds for the lake cams? You certainly should not be footing the bill yourself, same with the other cams. Any ideas of how to go about doing something like this?
Because of the popularity of this site the ad banners now generate enough income to cover the costs of the WeirsCAM and other site features. The only out-of-pocket expense now is my time.

I'd like to be able to help other sites but I have my hands full with this one!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:23 PM   #15
Steve

That's really too bad. When I'm 70 miles away from the lake at work, I loved looking at the passing pics.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 07:16 PM   #16
Gilly 20

Default Gil & Mary Anne Peck

We think the Weirscam is wonderful! Living in Florida we check it everyday-- can't wait to see the boats on the water!-- As for funding the Wolfboro Cam- it may be possible to use PAYPAL.Com to transfer funds to a designated site. Paypal accepts credit cards for those that are not using their accruing funds system.-- just a thought. Everybody, just pause a minute and think how great the Winni website is-- and the contributions of the photographers like Island Girl, Lake Girl, McDude, and others make it one of the most outstanding sites in cyberworld.
Gilly 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 07:37 PM   #17
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Spider Cam

loved the shot of the spider on the web cam! Missed that one. I checked the wolfeboro.cam almost everyday. I posted the shot of the annual christmas tree in front of Black's that made such a nice wallpaper. I will miss it a lot. I have PAYPAL and would contribute to some fund-raising effort. I could donate photos to a calendar that raised funds? Do we have a fundraiser-type amongst us?

Last edited by webmaster; 04-13-2004 at 10:28 PM. Reason: remove title size font
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 07:43 PM   #18
Throbbin Rods

The folks who complain about these sorts of things are obviously not salmon fanatics living 75 miles from the lake and drooling over each image looking to see how far the ice has gone out. Some folks don't deserve the good that you folks provide
throbbin rods
Old 04-13-2004, 07:56 PM   #19
Silver Duck

Red face

Don

I guess the old saying that no good deed goes unpunished is true. When you get those rude and unreasonable messages, just remember that there are a whole lot of folks out here that are very grateful for what you do for us!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:16 PM   #20
RI Swamp Yankee

Thumbs up I'll second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly 20
... Everybody, just pause a minute and think how great the Winni website is-- and the contributions of the photographers like Island Girl, Lake Girl, McDude, and others make it one of the most outstanding sites in cyberworld.
Some good thoughts bear repeating.

Thanks Don
Old 04-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #21
Senter Cove Guy

Default A The WolfeCAM Fund

I have always been a BIG FAN of the WolfeCAM. I even offerred to contribute to a new WolfeCAM when it first started going bad.

I just got off the phone with my local bank. I asked about opening a Fund Raiser account. I have to go down to my local branch and discuss it further.

I'm ready to step up to the plate, but I want this to be as easy as possible.

My bank told me it could be difficult to accept electronic contributions. If I opened a WOLFECAM FUNDRAISER account and asked for checks to be made out to WOLFECAM FUNDRAISER, will that work?

I'd be happy to do this and to provide frequent updates.

Please give me some feedback.
Senter Cove Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:22 PM   #22
RI Swamp Yankee

Senter Cove Guy,
Maybe you could contact the webmaster of that site, if they are receptive you could spread the word on some of the area forums.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:13 PM   #23
masssteve

Talking

senter cove guy,
Count me in! let me know and I'll send a check! Wolfecam is the only camara on that side of the lake and its always fun to check out weather, seeing the boats and water conditions. With all the users on this site, it wouldn't take much money each to get that going!
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:28 AM   #24
Paugus Bay Resident

Senter Cove Guy,

One way to get electronic contributions (we did this once) is by using PayPal.

Just a thought.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:28 AM   #25
Chris Exley

Default The sun is the problem

Where that cam is located, and the amount of direct sun it takes, we will be going through this again in about 6 months.

Maybe we could talk to Brewster Academy, and see if they could put up a web cam pointing back towards the docks.

Just a thought.
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:52 AM   #26
Keith

Default Thank you for all your support!

I was completely unaware of the support the Wolfecam has from all of the area websites. Don, you are correct when you say that you just cannot please everyone, especially when you run the website for fun and have limited funds you can apply to it.

We have picked out a new camera to replace the current wolfecam that looks very durable, and has a shaded polarized filter and a rain guard. The cost is around 700. However, we are reconsidering the request we made for donations. We are concerned on how to give credit for donations. If/When we do decide to ask for donations to a fund, we have paypal accounts setup for electronic donations.

Due to the large amounts of positive feedback, I will visit the Wolfecam either later today or tomorrow, and see if I can tweak a better image out of it. If anyone is interested in seeing the camera we would like to put up, the link to it is http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/netca...ucts/wb11a.htm

Again, thank you all for your support and feedback. Don, thank you for keeping this thread up. Winnipesuakee.com is excellent.

Keith Garrett
Webmaster for Wolfeboro.com
Wolfeboro Online
http://www.wolfeboro.com
603-569-5000
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #27
pitchwood dog

Default first post ever

In years of enjoying the forum I've never posted but I do want to agree that the Weirscam is priceless - it is my home page through the long lakeless winter, and since our place is on Pitchwood we appreciate it especially. Thanks for keeping it up!
pitchwood dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 04:14 PM   #28
Senter Cove Guy

Default WolfeCAM Fundraiser

Keith has asked us to table a Fundraiser until he discusses things at Wolfeboro.com. Let's see what that brings.
Senter Cove Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:19 PM   #29
Crabby

Default missing wolfcam

I log on to various lake webcams daily from Miami, I get to see 4 seasons and SNOW !
I would also contribute to a fund for new camera, so as to get my daily 'fix' !
Let me know where to send my cheque ! !
Even better let me find a good flight and deliver it myself !
Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #30
RI Swamp Yankee

Default Keith

Keith, Thanks for the comment, please keep us updated. Seems to be lots of support and apreciation for your efforts.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:35 PM   #31
chocophile

Default $$ Support for WolfeCam?

I wonder if the town or some town-related organization would be willing to provide partial funding for WolfeCam... maybe the Wolfeboro Chamber of Commerce? Or, maybe advertising somehow?
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:56 PM   #32
SusanBKellom

Default I'll be happy to chip in

If there is a fundraiser or if you just want donations. just post it.

I really miss the WolfeCam
SusanBKellom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:03 AM   #33
Grant

Default Thanks Keith!

Your efforts ARE appreciated by many. Keep us posted on the fundraising question.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:16 AM   #34
Stina

Default I'm happy to donate

I LOVE the Wolfecam... and I'd LOVE to make a donation!
Stina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:06 AM   #35
chainedtotheofficedesk

Default Where do I send my donation!

Keith:

I made my first trip to Winni last spring with a buddy to fish for Smallies and fell in love with the clear cold water and shoreline of the lake. That was the only chance I had to visit last year.

Last fall, I discovered the various web cams and became addicted to scrolling through them over the winter. (I know, get a life.)

I have fallen into the allure of watching the ice melt and have used my daily fix from the web cams to keep up with the process as I count the days to my now annual trip to Winni in May.

Therefore, I too am disappointed that your cam is down and would like to donate to a new one. I understand that you are looking at about $700 for a new one.

I have two offers.

1. Just tell me where to send my check and I will send $35.

2. If I can find an experienced Salmon fisherman who would like to spend the day out on the lake with me, I have a bassboat to share, but absolutely no experience in fishing for Salmon on the lake. I would like to learn how to do that. So if someone wants a day on the lake and knows how to fish for Salmon, I will send another $35 for the cam as a sign of goodwill.

Thanks,

Signed: Eager to Return!
chainedtotheofficedesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #36
GWC...

Cool Spring fever has sprung…

Someone else who is chained to the office desk; but it's not slowing him from enjoying the Lake.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:19 AM   #37
billhurley

Default Wolfe Cam donations

Does anyone know how the donations are going so far? That was a great idea to put it on Paypal. Thanks Bill
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #38
GWC...

Unhappy How sad...

I just checked the site you mentioned and it lists 995 Registered members.

Wow, $300 / 995 members = a lot more support is needed from its membership. How sad...

I'm not waiting for Webmaster Don's list of ways to help the Winnipesaukee.com site. I'm sending a check to the same address that was used for the early ordering of the Bizer maps I purchased. Servers are expensive and I do not think Webmaster Don should have to ask for help from the membership when they are the direct beneficiaries of his time, efforts, and improvements. The users of this site should be willing to help, voluntarily - $1, $2, $5, $10, $15, $25, $50, $100, or whatever seems appropriate and affordable. The site is free and I hope it stays that way; however, I also hope that those who are able to help in some way, small or large, will.

Who knows, maybe this site will eventually have enough funds to have its own web cam in Meredith and Wolfeboro.

Also, it would be nice if Webmaster Don has a Whoop-Dee-Do Winnipesaukee.com digital camera to take pictures of the Lake that could be used without copyright problems for a calendar or two or more - taken at his leisure.

Just my opinion; yours may differ...

Last edited by GWC...; 05-06-2004 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:15 PM   #39
Rattlesnake Gal

Unhappy Surprising!

It was very surprising at the lack of funds raised so far for Wolfecam. Everyone seemed so jazzed to contribute. I've done my part in making a donation and making people aware. Hopefully the Wolfecam users will rise to the occasion.
I hope the members of this site will be able to chip in and help out for this site.
Isn't Don the Webmaster is the person who set up and owns the Weirs Cam? More webcams would be wonderful. Perhaps more people will personally do cams from their spots on the lake since Bear Islander showed the way with his excellent webcam. Wouldn't that would be great?
Old 05-06-2004, 07:04 PM   #40
chainedtotheofficedesk

Default Rattlesnake, thanks for the reminder.

RG, thanks for the reminder, I made a pledge a few weeks ago under another thread to support the fund raiser and spaced on making my donation until now. Hopefully, there will be some additional like minded spirits that won't mind parting with their money for such a wonderful cause.

I look forward to a new camera and more views of the lake.

CTTOD
chainedtotheofficedesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 09:40 AM   #41
GWC...

Cool update...

Interesting progress at another Lake site, whose membership is listed as 1011 Registered.

Their membership needs to be more supportive.

Just my opinion; theirs may differ…
Old 05-18-2004, 10:41 AM   #42
jrc

Default 1011 Registered?

What does "1011 Registered" mean? I'm guessing it's a tax thing, but google doesn't come back with anything useful.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 10:56 AM   #43
Rattlesnake Gal

Default 1011 Registered?

That is how many members are registered on their discussion forum. Does not include anonymous posters.
The site also has some interesting stats at the bottom of the page with how many visitors per day etc.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:56 PM   #44
jrc

Default oops...

I totally misunderstood GWC's post. Now it make sense. Thanks Rattlesnake Gal.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 11:07 AM   #45
mcdude

Wolfecam will be returning soon!
By: keith on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:29 AM

We have reached our donation goal for the new camera! We will be ordering it either today or tomorrow, and hope to have it up and running for this weekend!

You may also notice the website has been up and down over the last several days. We hope to have this fixed soon, as we are putting in a new webserver. You will notice the site is a bit slow, as it is being hosted on a different connection right now. Our other web server suffered from an exploding power supply, which cooked ALL the major components in it. Bad computer, BAD!!!!

(1 read)
Old 05-26-2004, 06:23 AM   #46
mcdude

Wolfecam

We have gone way over the goal for donations! I would like to thank everyone who donated. 5/24/04 We are ordering the new camera. I hope to have it in, and running by the end of the week!
I would like to thank you all for your support and feedback with the WolfeCam.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:27 AM   #47
mcdude

Talking Wolfeboro Web Cam Up and Running

One of the Wolfeboro Web Cams is back up and running! ....in part due to donations by the readers of winni.com. Thanks Keith & Ralph!
click for web cam
Old 06-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #48
Merrymeeting

McDude,

That's the StreetCam, and it was never down. It gets "stuck" on the same image occasionally, but it has been consistently showing images for some time now.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:01 PM   #49
Keith

Default Its back!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their support! The Wolfecam is back up as of today, the 17th. The image is blurry on the right hand side, but we will try to fix that very soon. I may enable users to pan/tilt/zoom the camera at some point, but that depends on our bandwith usage. Again, thank you all for your support!

Keith Garrett
Wolfeboro Online
www.wolfeboro.com
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 01:51 PM   #50
Zee

Default Welcome Back

It's nice to have the Wolfecam back. Even blurry, it is welcome. Thanks everyone who contributed.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:37 PM   #51
Tired of Waiting

Unhappy The cam is down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee
It's nice to have the Wolfecam back. Even blurry, it is welcome. Thanks everyone who contributed.
Well it was back. But is now down. They are sending the cams back for repairs for the focus issue. No date as to when they will be back on line.

All I can say is keep up the good work --Ben Lambert of
Wolfeboro Online.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote