Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #1
Blue Thunder
Senior Member
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Eastern MA & Frye Island/Sebago Lake, Maine
Posts: 908
Thanks: 232
Thanked 302 Times in 141 Posts
Default Emerson Aviation declares Ice-in

Posted on their Facebook page today..

https://www.facebook.com/13184787685...7459801289784/
__________________
" Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come"
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue Thunder For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (01-19-2022), puremaple (01-20-2022), trfour (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 08:08 PM   #2
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 2,966
Thanks: 1,028
Thanked 1,785 Times in 819 Posts
Default

This is the first time that I can recall that Emerson got it wrong. See post 38 here.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...d.php?p=366278

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:28 PM   #3
Blue Thunder
Senior Member
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Eastern MA & Frye Island/Sebago Lake, Maine
Posts: 908
Thanks: 232
Thanked 302 Times in 141 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
This is the first time that I can recall that Emerson got it wrong. See post 38 here.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...d.php?p=366278

Alan
Yes, I’ve been following that thread. I’m just the Messenger…..
__________________
" Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come"
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Thunder For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (01-18-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 09:54 PM   #4
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 250
Thanks: 3
Thanked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Default

WMUR is stating that "ice in" is when the Mount's ports are frozen in.
Been up on the lake all my life, when did they change that definition? It's always been all iced over and ice out is when the ports for the mount are free. There have been years Ice In was never declared.
Is this because of Global Warming?
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:24 PM   #5
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 222 Times in 194 Posts
Default

They didn't. Ice-Out is when the Mount Washington can make all it ports.

It has been for some time very easy for at least one of the Mount ports to have ice over near the docking area much sooner than the declaration of Ice-in. That would be because Ice-in has always used the other standard.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
DotRat (01-20-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2022, 10:32 PM   #6
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 222 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
This is the first time that I can recall that Emerson got it wrong. See post 38 here.
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...d.php?p=366278

Alan
It may have been iced over when his fly over occurred. With a limited depth of ice it would break up very easily with wind, wave, and solar acting on it.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:43 PM   #7
Loub52
Senior Member
 
Loub52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Meredith, NH
Posts: 157
Thanks: 146
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
WMUR is stating that "ice in" is when the Mount's ports are frozen in.
Been up on the lake all my life, when did they change that definition? It's always been all iced over and ice out is when the ports for the mount are free. There have been years Ice In was never declared.
Is this because of Global Warming?
I believe I heard the same on a recent morning WMUR newscast; really just a nomenclature issue. I think that “ice in” is when the majority of Winni has ice, and due to that fact, all of the Mt Washington’s ports will be inaccessible. Ice out, to your point, is when the Mount can safely access all her ports. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ice%20in
__________________
Thanks,
Loub52
Loub52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:49 PM   #8
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 250
Thanks: 3
Thanked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
They didn't. Ice-Out is when the Mount Washington can make all it ports.

It has been for some time very easy for at least one of the Mount ports to have ice over near the docking area much sooner than the declaration of Ice-in. That would be because Ice-in has always used the other standard.
Maybe I'm missing your point or your missing my point? not sure which.
Ice in, at least for my understanding from my grandfather when he was alive, and my father, who s still alive, has been when the entire lake has ice on it, doesn't matter how much ice even just a thin layer.
Ice out is when the mount can go port to port (which is what you said, I agree)
WMUR definition in today's report is :"The declaration means all five ports visited by the M/S Mount Washington are covered with ice."
I have NEVER heard this before. If that was the case, there's been ice on the Weir's web cam and Wolfeboro's web cam and Center harbor's web cam. And the reports for Alton is 6". Don't know about Meredith, but seeing Weir's had ice, I would assume that Meredith would too. So what part am i missing if WMUR is correct?
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:57 PM   #9
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 3,304
Thanks: 962
Thanked 1,237 Times in 784 Posts
Default

WMUR started confusing ice in as the counterpart to ice out a few years ago. There are many instances in my mind when the writers don't really know much about Winnipesaukee traditions. Nobody here refers to the Mount as the MS, and we rarely use the term, "the big lake". Both routine on WMUR. Ice-in could have occurred as Emerson posted and then re-opened. I sure don't know, but Slickcraft is very reliable too.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:32 PM   #10
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,404
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 2,156
Thanked 1,824 Times in 1,017 Posts
Default Just remember

Just remember what you hear on WMUR newscasts: "Nobody covers New Hampshire like we do." Doesn't matter if it is factual.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-20-2022), Descant (01-20-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 12:18 AM   #11
John Mercier
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,123
Thanks: 0
Thanked 222 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Maybe I'm missing your point or your missing my point? not sure which.
Ice in, at least for my understanding from my grandfather when he was alive, and my father, who s still alive, has been when the entire lake has ice on it, doesn't matter how much ice even just a thin layer.
Ice out is when the mount can go port to port (which is what you said, I agree)
WMUR definition in today's report is :"The declaration means all five ports visited by the M/S Mount Washington are covered with ice."
I have NEVER heard this before. If that was the case, there's been ice on the Weir's web cam and Wolfeboro's web cam and Center harbor's web cam. And the reports for Alton is 6". Don't know about Meredith, but seeing Weir's had ice, I would assume that Meredith would too. So what part am i missing if WMUR is correct?
Emerson always makes the call. Obviously, sections of the lake are open... but if WMUR is reporting Emerson correctly... he made the call Sunday. There are years were the Broads or the Channel never ice over... and we certainly don't see it right up to the dam.

When Emerson started declaring Ice-in, the lake mostly froze over everywhere... and of course now, if we have no declaration of Ice-in... they can never have one of Ice-out. So my guess is that Emerson updated his definition of what Ice-in requires. But I am not sure if he makes the flight every day.

Not even sure who will take over when he is gone... so I am guessing at that point they will attempt to use the webcams and local determination at various locations.

But yes, growing up here... and when Ice-in started, I remember it being the entire lake or at least the entire route that the Mount would take... so the Channel and portion near the dam wouldn't count.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:04 AM   #12
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,972
Thanks: 1,093
Thanked 1,609 Times in 980 Posts
Default

Always go to the source.

Attached is Emerson's post, which says that "ice-in...simply means the entire lake is covered in ice."

In a response on that same thread, Emerson said, in response to reports of open water, that "wind must have broken [that section] up."

So, the definitions remain the same—ice-in is the whole lake iced over and ice-out is the Mount being able to reach all her ports—but weather conditions must have led to a bit of open water after Emerson saw all ice.



Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by thinkxingu; 01-20-2022 at 07:25 AM.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:01 PM   #13
chachee52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tyngsboro, MA and Gilford, NH
Posts: 250
Thanks: 3
Thanked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Default

So I'm not loosing my mind as much as I thought I was. That's all I wanted to know.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (01-20-2022)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.66967 seconds