Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #1
garysanfran

Default The Dive

Right now The Dive is heading towards The Weirs and passing between Governors and Eagle Islands
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Congratulations Captain Ahab. You have spotted the great white whale of the lake! Or should we say white elephant

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:48 AM   #3
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Congratulations Captain Ahab. You have spotted the great white whale of the lake! Or should we say white elephant

I've seen it sitting in Sanders Bay for the last couple of days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
TheRoBoat (06-14-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #4
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post

It is like spotting a white elephant.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #5
Phantom

It’s not “white” any longer !
Old 05-17-2021, 08:21 AM   #6
sum-r breeze

Default Signs of Summer

I can't wait to get out on the Dive again this year. We ALWAYS have a great time when we go. Jamie and Betsy understand that the restaurant / bar business is all about hospitality and making connections with their patrons. They do an amazing job of making you feel like they appreciate your business. They genuinely make you feel welcome and go the extra mile to make your experience a memorable one. Bravo Jamie and Betsy!! Mrs Breeze and myself
will be on the Dive as soon as we can.

The Breeze
aka Paulie ;O)
joey2665 (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 08:42 AM   #7
MotorHead

You all must have a designated driver or a captain.

If I were marine patrol, I would just anchor in front of it.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
You all must have a designated driver or a captain.

If I were marine patrol, I would just anchor in front of it.
Pretty sure that would constitute harassment.... No different than the cops parking in front of any other legal drinking establishment. The MP has plenty of other things on their to do list...

Woodsy
Old 05-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Pretty sure that would constitute harassment.... No different than the cops parking in front of any other legal drinking establishment. The MP has plenty of other things on their to do list...

Woodsy
I would rather have the drunks harassed then have a kayaker killed.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
samosetguy (05-24-2022)
Old 05-17-2021, 12:45 PM   #10
Woodsy

Quote:
Of course you would trample the rights of a legal business and its patrons.... No surprise there!

Woodsy
CooperS7777 (05-28-2021)
Old 05-17-2021, 12:50 PM   #11
MotorHead

Quote:
Of course you would trample the rights of a legal business and its patrons.... No surprise there!

Woodsy
So, you are OK with people dying as long as drunks can have fun.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:52 PM   #12
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
This is really a non issue as the Dive doesn’t really leave the pier at the weirs any longer. Or at least it didn’t last year.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
Woodsy

Quote:
So, you are OK with people dying as long as drunks can have fun.
Personally, I have an issue with constitutional rights being trampled in the name of safety! To quote Ben Franklin - ""Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

The Dive is no different than any other LEGAL drinking establishment that is boater accessible. That you would be OK with harassment of a legal business that to date has done nothing wrong speaks volumes to your character!

Woodsy
Old 05-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #14
MotorHead

Quote:
Personally, I have an issue with constitutional rights being trampled in the name of safety! To quote Ben Franklin - ""Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

The Dive is no different than any other LEGAL drinking establishment that is boater accessible. That you would be OK with harassment of a legal business that to date has done nothing wrong speaks volumes to your character!

Woodsy
Numbnuts, read what I wrote before jumping down my throat.

I never said Dive has done anything wrong or illegal. All I am saying is that, drunk or drugged people should not operate cars or vehicles.
If you get drunk at Dive and hit me by accident, guess who is getting sued? Yes, Dive will get sued as well as you.

Before you start running around on the streets with your gun and a flag screaming FREEDOM, read the facts.
If you get drunk at a bar and kill someone, that bar would be considered the enabler. You are such a moron.

You can't fix stupid.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #15
Woodsy

Quote:
Numbnuts, read what I wrote before jumping down my throat.

I never said Dive has done anything wrong or illegal. All I am saying is that, drunk or drugged people should not operate cars or vehicles.
If you get drunk at Dive and hit me by accident, guess who is getting sued? Yes, Dive will get sued as well as you.

Before you start running around on the streets with your gun and a flag screaming FREEDOM, read the facts.
If you get drunk at a bar and kill someone, that bar would be considered the enabler. You are such a moron.

You can't fix stupid.
I read what you wrote.... its not my fault you advocate to trample the rights of a legal business and customers under the guise of "safety"! Perhaps a return to prohibition would better suit you?

You are so wicked smaht... you resorted to name calling! Shocked I am!

You are the one who advocated for the MP to harass a legal business and its patrons...

"If I were marine patrol, I would just anchor in front of it."

"I would rather have the drunks harassed then have a kayaker killed."

Those statements speak volumes to your character.... you paint the Dive and its customers with a pretty wide brush, with absolutely no proof whatsoever of wrongdoing by either. Pretty bold assumption coming from a wicked smaht person such as yourself!

Woodsy
Old 05-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #16
mofn

Can anybody explain why the Dive since day one has drawn such ire?

If it was a land based would anybody be talking about it?
The fact it's at the Weirs now, to me only helps a tired and outdated location. It reminds me of O.O.B., Hampton beach etc. I do not know the owners at all never spoken to them...but they are trying something new and different with their money.
As for Ben Franklin, he wanted the turkey as the national bird not the bald eagle which to me goes hand in hand... a subject that is a turkey.
mofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:07 PM   #17
MotorHead

I have no issues with that place.
Do not like it, but that means nothing. Good Luck to them.
I think it maybe a great business idea.

Unfortunately younger generation associates boating w/ partying and drinking.
Dive, being on the water, is enabling that.
Drinking and partying is fine as long as you have a designated captain.
I myself enjoy drinking at a sandbar (Margate) as long as I am not the designated captain.

All I am saying is that DO NOT DRINK, SMOKE and operate a boat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
CubRun (05-24-2021), XCR-700 (05-23-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 01:50 PM   #18
sum-r breeze

Default The Dive gets a bad rap

Motorhead has some valid points about DWI / BWI. Speaking for myself, I have never gotten drunk on the Dive. We had drinks, food, laughs, listened to some great music, watched the fireworks and met some amazing people. Too many people immediately assume that any water borne establishment is going to over serve their patrons. My own experience on the Dive is there is a lot of food being served along with the adult beverages. They have very well trained waitstaff who genuinely care about their customer's well being and don't over serve. Open your minds and try the place before you condemn something. If you hate it ...don't go back, but you should try it at least once so you can form an educated opinion. They run a great operation and face some very entrenched and established opposition, because they are a formidable threat to the status quo in the Weirs. We love the Dive because it's one of the few places that treat us like they are happy to have us and want us back!

The Breeze
aka Paulie ;0)
WakeboardMom (06-07-2023), Waterbaby (05-28-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #19
ushaggerb

Quote:

Woodsy
I believe you're mistaken. Cops can park in front of a legal drinking establishment. They almost never do because they understand impact on business, but it doesn't constitute (legal definition) harassment. So no rights are being trampled on by the suggestion.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ushaggerb For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-21-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #20
XCR-700

Quote:
All I am saying is that DO NOT DRINK, SMOKE and operate a boat.
Perfectly stated!

Nothing I can add.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 11:06 AM   #21
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofn View Post
Can anybody explain why the Dive since day one has drawn such ire?

If it was a land based would anybody be talking about it?

As for Ben Franklin, he wanted the turkey as the national bird not the bald eagle which to me goes hand in hand... a subject that is a turkey.
I think it is mostly of interest (and dislike) because its godawful butt ugly.

If it were a sleek modern or classic clean design I feel certain more people would embrace it. My example would be the MT Washington, people still love it.

I really dont think it has anything to do with land based or being on the water, its about appearance.

I also understand that some of the the novelty and marketing of the Dive is that it looks like one, but I truly believe it would be far more accepted if it were less eyesore and more visually appealing to the masses. Every time I pass by it I kinda cringe, but once I'm past it, I dont give it a second thought. I just really dont care about it one way or another, but I do know if it were a tad nicer looking I might be a customer. Maybe,,, Just being honest.

As for the Eagle vs. the Turkey, I personally dont care for appearance of either, not attractive birds to me. But then the really stunning birds and not native to North America. I would have picked another animal as our national icon, maybe a bear or horse or Wolf or anything but a Turkey or an Eagle, but thats a whole different debate ;-)
Old 05-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #22
XCR-700

Quote:

Woodsy
Do they really,,,

I would argue intoxicated boaters are at the top of the concern list way above most other infractions. AND its too often a contributor to serious boat crashes.

Other than rescues, I really cant think of anything I would rather have the MP doing than monitoring for and attempting to stop intoxicated boat operators.

And to the the Marine Patrol I say thank you for your efforts to keep the lake safe from captains who have had too much to drink. I can only imagine what the MP Officers must put up with when the stop and question boat owners with big egos and bad attitudes. It must be a nightmare to deal with them,,, Too often we only stop these captain boneheads after someone is injured or dead.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #23
LikeLakes

I'd like to think the majority of boaters stopped by MP are polite and realize they are just doing their job, keeping the lake safe for everyone. Maybe that's wishful thinking, I don't know any MP staff personally so not sure.

I don't think the Dive needs to be, or should be, targeted by MP. There are more than enough places, sandbars and town docks, where people have just as much opportunity to drink before boating, I don't see a need to prioritize that one business over others.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (05-28-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #24
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
I don't think the Dive needs to be, or should be, targeted by MP. There are more than enough places, sandbars and town docks, where people have just as much opportunity to drink before boating, I don't see a need to prioritize that one business over others.
No disagreement that the Dive should not be singled out from anywhere else where we are likely to find intoxicated operators.

Maybe my message was not well worded, but my intent was that watching for intoxicated operators (wherever you might likely find them) is of top concern to my in the duties of the Marine Patrol. Intoxicated operators is far more concerning to me than than most other infractions. Not to ignore other violations, but for me most other matters are a distant second.

And this just my opinion, likely there are many others.

Last edited by XCR-700; 05-23-2021 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Sorry left "not" out
Old 05-23-2021, 01:23 PM   #25
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
I think it is mostly of interest (and dislike) because its godawful butt ugly.

If it were a sleek modern or classic clean design I feel certain more people would embrace it. My example would be the MT Washington, people still love it.

I really dont think it has anything to do with land based or being on the water, its about appearance.

I also understand that some of the the novelty and marketing of the Dive is that it looks like one, but I truly believe it would be far more accepted if it were less eyesore and more visually appealing to the masses. Every time I pass by it I kinda cringe, but once I'm past it, I dont give it a second thought. I just really dont care about it one way or another, but I do know if it were a tad nicer looking I might be a customer. Maybe,,, Just being honest.

As for the Eagle vs. the Turkey, I personally dont care for appearance of either, not attractive birds to me. But then the really stunning birds and not native to North America. I would have picked another animal as our national icon, maybe a bear or horse or Wolf or anything but a Turkey or an Eagle, but thats a whole different debate ;-)
Perhaps the Dive should rent out the "ugly" side walls as Billboards.
Maybe Huggins Hospital or the new LRGH can slap a "smart sign" on the side and advertise the waiting time for their ER? (Ever driven down I-293 in Manchester?)!

Heck I think every Marina on the lake may want to advertise so maybe go 100% digital and let the brightly lit sign keep flashing each advertiser (Again think I-293 in Manchester near the intersection of I-93!
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (05-24-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 05:54 PM   #26
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
Perhaps the Dive should rent out the "ugly" side walls as Billboards.
Maybe Huggins Hospital or the new LRGH can slap a "smart sign" on the side and advertise the waiting time for their ER? (Ever driven down I-293 in Manchester?)!

Heck I think every Marina on the lake may want to advertise so maybe go 100% digital and let the brightly lit sign keep flashing each advertiser (Again think I-293 in Manchester near the intersection of I-93!
My point exactly, most wont like that just as much and it would be even more of a turn off than their current exteriors. That said all those places could sure use a refresh on the outside to make them more presentable.

On the flip side, once a place of business looks good, they usually do more business, then they charge more and for restaurants that usually means longer wait times,,,

So for those who enjoy the Dive as it is, you should hope nothing changes.

ATB
Old 05-24-2021, 05:07 PM   #27
XCR-700

Oh, and dont mistake my comments to be a knock against the Dive, I have never been in it and have no basis to say anything about it except it looks butt ugly to me.

But then I could say similar about the Winnipesaukee Pier restaurant, but I still enjoy stopping by and having a snack and enjoying the view from the deck.

Regardless of where you eat, always remember to tip your wait-staff very well, its tough work for low pay. It wont kill you to drop a few extra dollars, but it might make a big difference to them.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-30-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #28
winni83

Looks like The Dive is now having issues with Gilford.

From The Dive FB page yesterday:

"Sadly, we will not be open this weekend due to a power hungry town admin who spread lies to hurt our business and reputation."
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:29 AM   #29
WinnisquamZ

First Marilyn Manson now The Dive. What is happening in Gilford. What has changed?

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post

"Sadly, we will not be open this weekend due to a power hungry town admin who spread lies to hurt our business and reputation."
Was it Alton Bay that had a problem with The Dive planning to use their docks for pickup the year before last?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #31
chachee52

Quote:

So, What "rumors" did the town spread? And is the money just to launch it seeing that it is/was at Fays?
Just curious? I have no problem with them but just never understood why the engineer that built it would power it with the engines it did and the place that they put it. Not efficient at all!!
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #32
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
So, What "rumors" did the town spread? And is the money just to launch it seeing that it is/was at Fays?
Just curious? I have no problem with them but just never understood why the engineer that built it would power it with the engines it did and the place that they put it. Not efficient at all!!
You didn't hear this from me, butttt I heard that The Dive and The Winni Belle hooked up and he ghosted her and now she's all, like, "oh, no, you DIDN'T" and careening about town tellin' everybody The Dive be her Baby Daddy.

I've not confirmed this, but it's what's makin' the rounds at all the docks and marinas...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Crusty (06-03-2021), FlyingScot (05-28-2021), joey2665 (05-28-2021), LIforrelaxin (05-28-2021), Newbiesaukee (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #33
gillygirl

Quote:

Yup, this sounds about right.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #34
FlyingScot

Quote:

I don't know the scoop here, but it is funny how some businesses turn on a hypocritical dime. They go from "we're good citizens" to accusing others of slandering them unfairly as they slander the ones they are upset with, but don't provide real details so a person can judge for themselves.

The issues and people are different, but The Dive seems to be using ESA's PR firm.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Reilly (05-29-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #35
winni83

FS,

Yes, the Dive and Epic seem to have similar responses when confronted with legitimate issues. With the Dive, their issues first began with their ignorant assumption that they could just tie up at a public dock as part of their business model; then issues with their first Landlord at the Weirs, Eastcoast; then more issues with their second Landlord at the Weirs, the City of Laconia. Always the fault of someone else apparently. See, for example, this post by the Dive in the FB thread regarding their current issues:

"Thank you all! We have ALWAYS taken the high road but at this point - we are fighting back - as the high road isn't helping us. We have 90% support vs 10% haters - but they are the ones causing all the issues!! Not to mention FAKE News media and crooked politics. We are a family business just trying to bring something fun to the lake and our boating friends. We need our 9000+ followers to help us in ANY way you can think of! Our platform is one-of-a-kind and we have so many great ideas for this summer. If you take our 9000 followers and their networks - there's strength in numbers! We need to oust some of these small town players who think they own the STATE run lake! We're tired of battling against it alone - so please - we will take ANY support you have. Thank you again and we hope to see you all very soon"
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #36
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83
We have 90% support vs 10% haters - but they are the ones causing all the issues!! Not to mention FAKE News media and crooked politics. We are a family business just trying to bring something fun to the lake and our
Oh no, another unhappy soul playing "the fake news media" card.

Goodbye, credibility ...
Old 05-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #37
LikeLakes

Ok, so I get it that their approach is maybe not the best. But I also think they may be beyond the point of frustration by now. After a very difficult year last year for any small business, to be heading into the busy season and have roadblock after roadblock thrown your way has to be frustrating. I don't know the details so I don't have any opinion to express one way or the other in terms of who is right and who is wrong, but I can guess that small town politics are making it hard to operate the business.

I guess I look at it this way .... to embark on a business such as theirs on Winni, you are looking at trying to be in compliance with the 7 (is it seven?) bordering towns and the state and find a place to do business that won't restrict your activity to the point of throttling your business. It is hard, to say the least. I'd just like them to have a fair chance to run their business the same way a shoreside restaurant has.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (05-28-2021), sum-r breeze (06-08-2021), Waterbaby (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #38
winni83

Well it appears that some friends of The Dive are upset for sure (both comments “liked” by The Dive).

“you don’t sound like a concerned citizen you sound like more like a politician how do you know so much about there stuff going on why don’t you get a ****in life and stop harassing great people”

“doesn’t matter guys like that shouldn’t mess with peoples business or try and take money off your plate it’s not right but apparently people gotta open up a fake ass account you know why cause he’s got no balls that’s why”

I guess you can really tell a lot about someone by the company they keep.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:36 PM   #39
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
You didn't hear this from me, butttt I heard that The Dive and The Winni Belle hooked up and he ghosted her and now she's all, like, "oh, no, you DIDN'T" and careening about town tellin' everybody The Dive be her Baby Daddy.

I've not confirmed this, but it's what's makin' the rounds at all the docks and marinas...

I don't care who you are, that is funny right there.....

With that said what is the issue now? The Dive has been a train wreck since the beginning, they seem to have a interpretation of the law that does not jive with with reality....
Old 05-28-2021, 08:53 PM   #40
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Ok, so I get it that their approach is maybe not the best. But I also think they may be beyond the point of frustration by now. After a very difficult year last year for any small business, to be heading into the busy season and have roadblock after roadblock thrown your way has to be frustrating. I don't know the details so I don't have any opinion to express one way or the other in terms of who is right and who is wrong, but I can guess that small town politics are making it hard to operate the business.

I guess I look at it this way .... to embark on a business such as theirs on Winni, you are looking at trying to be in compliance with the 7 (is it seven?) bordering towns and the state and find a place to do business that won't restrict your activity to the point of throttling your business. It is hard, to say the least. I'd just like them to have a fair chance to run their business the same way a shoreside restaurant has.
I think the problem that they are finding is that they thought being on the water would mean that the only regulatory body they would have to deal with was the state. Which probably came from flawed legal advice at the outset of the venture.
Biggd (05-29-2021), Heaven (06-10-2021), LikeLakes (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #41
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I think the problem that they are finding is that they thought being on the water would mean that the only regulatory body they would have to deal with was the state. Which probably came from flawed legal advice at the outset of the venture.
I think you are exactly right!
Old 05-29-2021, 06:41 AM   #42
The Real BigGuy

I think it is too bad the way things turned out. I’ve heard a lot of good things (as well as some bad) about the Dive from people who have been there. However, I don’t blame their problems on local politicians.

It does seem to me though that if you want to start a business that is going to require dock access the first thing you would do, before starting construction, was secure that dock space.

They may have thought they could thrive with their original mobile approach but were surprised to find out that the barge was under powered and far less mobile then they expected. I think passionate owners were caught up in the excitement of a new business concept.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:01 AM   #43
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I think it is too bad the way things turned out. I’ve heard a lot of good things (as well as some bad) about the Dive from people who have been there. However, I don’t blame their problems on local politicians.

It does seem to me though that if you want to start a business that is going to require dock access the first thing you would do, before starting construction, was secure that dock space.

They may have thought they could thrive with their original mobile approach but were surprised to find out that the barge was under powered and far less mobile then they expected. I think passionate owners were caught up in the excitement of a new business concept.

I keep asking myself, "how many issues have to happen for it to be The Dive and not everyone else?"

I've never been on it, but the experiences I had at sandbars with clientele and "ownership" of the area (again, commercial profit off public space) soured me on it as a water-based entity. I thought, however, that the permanent docking idea was a great one. Unfortunately, it seems like they just can't get it together.

Old 05-29-2021, 07:21 AM   #44
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I thought the spot they had last year at the end of the Weirs dock was perfect, what happened?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #45
XCR-700

No real vested interest here, but I'm wondering why operating the dive is any more difficult than operating the MT Washington,,,

Both float and have the ability to move across the lake. Both serve food. Both serve customers.

Personally I think its not at all attractive to look at, but people have said good things about the food and service.

So why all the drama??? Its cant be just because its ugly.

Must be more to this saga than I'm seeing.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #46
chachee52

Quote:
No real vested interest here, but I'm wondering why operating the dive is any more difficult than operating the MT Washington,,,

Both float and have the ability to move across the lake. Both serve food. Both serve customers.

Personally I think its not at all attractive to look at, but people have said good things about the food and service.

So why all the drama??? Its cant be just because its ugly.

Must be more to this saga than I'm seeing.
The only thing that I can think of with the Mount vs the Dive, and I truely have no idea. Is that the Mount owns all its dock spaces, has been operating for years so has all its legal aspects in order each year. I do think that the few other comments sound about right in that they are only going through the state and not the towns, that would make sense to me. This should have been looked at by the owners and lawyers before they started. Yes the water way is state, but the water is still in a town, and the docks are as well, so it only makes sense they would have to get the town license as well if they are going to operate in that town. I don't know?
I have only been on the Dive when LSP brought it over one year and had it tie up to Big Pier. I personally wasn't impressed but I can see why people who don't own places and just have a boat on the water would like it I guess.
Either way, If it has a good following, I do hope that they resolve it. Sounds like they have put a TON of money into it to fail. Personally the price of the boat seemed a lot to me for a seasonal good weather restaurant, But then again, I'm not a business person.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (05-29-2021), XCR-700 (05-29-2021)
Old 05-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #47
GodSmile

Default Seems to be a pattern for them

Either not doing homework, trying to shortcut or not meeting commitments (Weirs).
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #48
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
The only thing that I can think of with the Mount vs the Dive, and I truely have no idea. Is that the Mount owns all its dock spaces, has been operating for years so has all its legal aspects in order each year. .
I am not sure if the Mount owns all of its Berthing spots or not. But it at least has long standing legal agreements to use them. The bigger point as you mention is the Mount, and more importantly the Winnipesaukee Flagship Corporation has its legal aspects understood and in order.

The dive has run into many road blocks, some of which where poor planning and others of which have been bad luck. Unfortunately what they want to do requires the ability to not only operate out on the lake, but also have land based operations as well, and I think partially because of the approaches they have taken to do so, have not won them any fans from local governments. At this point I hate to say it but the Dive has become its own worst enemy. I hope the find a place that they can operate out of, are able to chase their dream, but they seem to be ready to sling mud, and that is never a good sign....
FlyingScot (05-29-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #49
mowtorman

Default Saunders Bay brouhaha (brewhaha) ?

Shared from Facebook as suggested in the posting.....by the Dive owner Betsy

June 10 at 6:15 PM ·
Lake friends - I've been sitting on something horrific that happened to me, Betsy, on Saturday night the 5th. I guess I'm still in shock as I was shaken up for a few days. I wasn't sure if I should share it - because I'm sure there will be more hateful comments aimed at us - but for some, you do not truly understand how hard it is just to run a legal business that we have put everything into - all for the love of being on this lake and bringing something new.
We have been finishing our construction on the Dive in Saunders bay - at our friends home/dock with permission. Completely legal and allowed - feel free to check with the police and marine patrol (for you Karen's that will comment). Our boat was between the beach and the house - so blocked the view of No one - just wetlands. Several of the houses to the far right - some 6 or so over - did not want us there. They complained and made up stories that had no truth - that we were "running our business". We actually would have been out of that place the week before Memorial Weekend - BUT they decided to call the town admin. He in turn swayed the fire inspection aka Permit of Assembly - to get cancelled - so we ended up having to stay an EXTRA 2 weeks until we figured out what to do. Ironic.
So Saturday evening at 8 pm, my dog and I went over to the dock to help Jamie as he was landing the Dive. In a matter of minutes - while I was standing alone on the dock, a MOB of people starting screaming at me - I'm surprised they didn't have pitchforks and torches - as it was pure VENOM. Swearing, booing, threatening me - I refused to engage - but it was me against 20-25 people? I did fear that some of them would come over and get in my face. As soon as Jamie landed - we went to the police in Gilford. They were awesome as always. We had 2 policemen escort us back to the dock so we could close up properly - and they couldn't believe what happened. Again, we were there legally and the police completely supported us. I was afraid to go back alone.
I just do not understand the amount of hatred on this lake and how much negative energy is directed at us. We are very good and kind people and follow all of the laws. I would never in a million years go out on a dock (4 docks away) and verbally assault another human with a gang of people. How can we rid this lake of such evil, vile people?
Please feel free to share.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:07 PM   #50
winni83

And another viewpoint from the same thread. Author’s name deleted.

Quote:
Well I'm going to put my 2 cents in and I usually don't respond to a business page like this but hear I go. Didn't you guys get kicked out of 3 places already??? A different location every summer. First was West Alton over by the marina. My buddy lives over there and says you're boat was always stuck in the channel Sideways or some other crazy maneuver. Maybe your boat captain can't drive a boat but who knows. You're second location at the end of Winnipesaukee Pier in front of Simpson Ave should of never happened in the first place. My Grandparents had a house on the water there for 50 years and I still know alot of people over there. Now I have nothing against your business but a commercial boat that size doesn't belong in front of residential houses blocking their view of the lake and the noise at night. It belongs on the other side where the Mt Washington and other commercial boats are. Have some consideration for other people and be a good neighbor and business man. You're 3 location last year at the Weirs public docks was the best place for you and you screwed that up. You didn't follow through with the city about building a dock for your boat, why was that??? You couldn't even take care of your trash properly and your propane tanks so the City of Laconia booted you out. Now I see your over by my house on Paugus bay. Please respond to me to answer my questions about being a poor neighbor and business man.
GregW11 (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #51
FlyingScot

Hard to believe there was an assembly of 25 people yelling...

But not so hard to believe that some neighbors were terrified that The Dive was going to set up shop a few houses down
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 10:12 PM   #52
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Hard to believe there was an assembly of 25 people yelling...

But not so hard to believe that some neighbors were terrified that The Dive was going to set up shop a few houses down
It doesn’t take much these days to assemble people to get their collective panties in a bunch. Thanks, social media.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
GsChinadoll (07-26-2021), joey2665 (06-13-2021), XCR-700 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 05:17 AM   #53
thinkxingu

It appears from the thread addressed above that The Dive will continue its sandbar and private event operations. I'd hoped they'd find a permanent docking solution as I don't think it's appropriate to monopolize a public space for commercial use, especially so when it fundamentally changes the nature of the space.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-14-2021), XCR-700 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #54
LikeLakes

No idea if Betsy reads this thread or not, but if so, sorry to hear about that experience you had at the dock. There's no reason for it, glad you contacted the police and hopefully you won't be personally attacked like that again.

To me, this is about laws, permits, zoning, and Town government. It's not about good people and bad people. I don't know what The Dive has or has not done in terms of compliance, and I don't know what the towns do or don't want it to be doing. Let The Dive continue to apply for permits, let the towns issue or not issue them, or issue them with limitations, and then enforce compliance. If they can find a working relationship and adhere to the rules that's that. If they can't find anyplace to permit their operations or docking, then the business is done.

I don't know these people, but nobody should be harassed for trying to run their business. If they are out of compliance, contact the proper authorities and take care of it that way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (06-13-2021), GsChinadoll (07-26-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #55
Garcia

The Dive and the seaplane threads are pretty similar. There is a core group of people strongly opposed to each. Both owners insist they are following the proper channels and are just trying to make a business work while opponents feel they are cutting corners, looking for special treatment, destined to fail, or whatever.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
LikeLakes (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #56
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
The Dive and the seaplane threads are pretty similar. There is a core group of people strongly opposed to each. Both owners insist they are following the proper channels and are just trying to make a business work while opponents feel they are cutting corners, looking for special treatment, destined to fail, or whatever.
You make a good point. I don't know the individual people involved, but the two businesses have similar issues, need docking and can't find it, need a permitted space to do business and that has challenges.

I think one of the things that makes these such tough issues is there's a ton of business commerce on Winni that has been in place for years, and likely could never get permitted to do business if they were starting up now.
DotRat (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #57
Mr. V

Interesting story about Betsy and the mob; did it make the newspaper?

If not, why not?
Old 06-13-2021, 07:32 PM   #58
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
One important difference, to ESA's credit--he's addressing these issues at the appropriate time--before he's dumped a ton of money and effort into the business. The Dive has been 3(?) years of addressing issues that should have been addressed before they built the vessel...and then complaining about how difficult business/neighbors can be. Surprise
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (06-22-2021), XCR-700 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-14-2021, 06:20 AM   #59
fatlazyless

All things considered, The Dive's 2020-pandemic year spot at the Weirs Beach public town docks had the potential to be a long term, golden location for The Dive. Maybe it can renegotiate and get back in the good graces with the Laconia select board and return to the same Weirs dock spot.

It seemed like it would be a good success and a good business for the Weirs in that spot. After all it had the support last year from all five members of the Laconia select board which is a high level of local support. Some select board members were happy Dive patrons, as well.

That Weirs Beach location has NO nearby residential homes or neighbors to irritate or annoy. It was located down the boardwalk embankment and across the road from the unoccupied, unheated, seasonal 150-year old historic buildings that belong to the N.H. Veterans Association where there is almost always NOBODY home.

With its large square, bright white floating restaurant and bar, floating on a 24' x 62' steel barge, it looked totally fabulous in that spot. It looked like it really belonged there and would be a good business partner for the Weirs. Is a real shame that this year, 2021, is not its year #2 in that location and they could be building on its first year success by installing a DiveCam so people at home could see what's happening at The Dive.

But, unfortunately things did not work out in 2020 and it may as well blame this on the slowdown in the restaurant-bar business caused by the pandemic.

So ........ The Dive is apparently looking for a new home ........ where will it go ...... and, will it ever return to its happy spot at the Weirs dock? .....

Will it ever return ..... will it ever return ...... to its one golden spot down that Weirs Beach dock ...... or will it ride forever out on the Big Lake waters with no place to call a home ...... moving slowly, back and forth, between that West Alton sandbar and that Braun Bay sandbar with no particular place to go...... WHERE WILL IT GO?

Braun Bay video ....... www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jjxbNR9i60 ...... has a few, very brief looks at The Dive surrounded by umpteen boats and people partying presumably in Braun Bay on July 4, 2019 ..... looks like some summer big water, party time!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-14-2021 at 07:13 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #60
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
One important difference, to ESA's credit--he's addressing these issues at the appropriate time--before he's dumped a ton of money and effort into the business. The Dive has been 3(?) years of addressing issues that should have been addressed before they built the vessel...and then complaining about how difficult business/neighbors can be. Surprise
I agree with you-I am very surprised that this wasn't thought of before they built the Dive. I would think most business plans would include such an important issue. I do think the Weirs is a great spot for it, not in front of somebody's house, but where all the commercial and noise takes place anyway. Maybe they can work it out.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:12 AM   #61
XCR-700

Hummm,,, calling the Weirs location for the Dive a "happy spot" is like describing having a painful tooth pulled without any painkiller/Novocain. Maybe a necessary activity but not ideal.

It was possibly one of the least annoying spots for it to be parked, but aesthetically it added nothing to the view, well unless you prefer a dumpy look.

It was much like seeing a barge docked at the Weirs with a crane and construction materials. When we see a barge docked at the Weirs it is accepted as an accommodation and better then seeing said barge in front of someones home or a sandbar, but it does not improve the view of the Weirs. The Dive is similar. If the Weirs dock is open to commercial traffic (and I dont know anything about the rules of docking commercial traffic on public docks, so this is an assumption) then I accept that the Dive has the same rights as a barge or water taxi or any other commercial traffic. But as a semi permanent fixture on the Weirs dock it was an eyesore, not a happy addition.

Sorry it is just not a pleasant sight and not a plus.

Maybe if it were less hideous looking, that may change many opinions.

And please do not confuse my comments as being about the people who run the Dive or the food they serve or anything else, these comments are strictly regarding appearance of the Dive as seen from various locations on the lake.

I also do not know anything about their "business" arrangements with Laconia for using said space. If the Weirs dock is not open to commercial traffic and they must follow different rules than the public, that is all outside of my comments.

I simply do not agree that the Weirs location was a "happy spot" for a permanent Dive docking. However, it was possibly an acceptable spot for temporary docking for loading and unloading passengers.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:37 AM   #62
winni83

Apart from the nasty comments on the Dive FB page, both from the Dive and from others, the future of the Dive seems to be dependent on their ability to find a docking location from which to pump out their holding tanks, refill their propane tanks, dispose of garbage and take on supplies and water. This assumes that the contemplated operation of the Dive in 2021 will be limited to visits to sandbars, etc. If they also need a docking location to load and offload passengers, then that is another complication. And if they also want to have a fixed docking location from which to operate their business in place, then yet another complication. And of course whether operation from sandbars will provide enough income is open to question as is the reaction by those who live near the sandbars.

The Dive seems to have assumed that because they may have the necessary permits to operate their business on the Lake while underway or anchored, then it should be no problem as far as docking is concerned because “the State owns the Lake”. Over the past 3 years they have found that assumption to be false. I agree with others who have pointed out that their business plan, if they had one, was based in large part on this false assumption.

While I am sure that local people and politics were involved to some extent with their issues at WAM, East Coast Flightcraft and at the Weirs dock, the assertion by the Dive that they performed all of their obligations fully and without fault strains credulity.
Kneedeep (06-11-2022)
Old 06-14-2021, 08:12 AM   #63
fatlazyless

Quote:

Sorry it is just not a pleasant sight and not a plus.

Maybe if it were less hideous looking, that may change many opinions.

As you know, it's painted bright white, so maybe repainting it with a lake water camouflage paint job consisting of ....... swirls of flat dark blue and swirls of flat dark gray ....... would make it much less visible and make it blend into the waterfront surroundings ..... something similar to the paint job on a Navy landing barge intended to be camouflaged.

Anchors away ....... and down the hatch ....... I'll drink to that one! ... !!!
Old 06-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #64
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
As you know, it's painted bright white, so maybe repainting it with a lake water camouflage paint job consisting of ....... swirls of flat dark blue and swirls of flat dark gray ....... would make it much less visible and make it blend into the waterfront surroundings ..... something similar to the paint job on a Navy landing barge intended to be camouflaged.

Well if nothing else it might make it more interesting ;-)

Or how about this, paint it so that it looks like a fancy boat or even a floating cottage rather than a "dive" but then maybe that the appeal to some (looking like a dive on the outside but being a nice place on the inside) and so that might not fit the business model (whatever that might be)

And in truth I dont begrudge them any desire to look like a dive, I simply say it is not attractive to many and possibly the cause of much of the anger about this venue.

By comparison I see the Tiki Huts all the time floating around the lake or docked on the back side of the Weirs pier and they always make me smile. I really enjoy seeing them and personally think they add an element of fun to the visual appearance of the lake. But thats my opinion, many others may disagree.

ATB
Old 06-14-2021, 12:50 PM   #65
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:

It had a winter makeover. The siding is now beige.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #66
ApS

Thumbs up Good suggestion...!

Quote:
As you know, it's painted bright white, so maybe repainting it with a lake water camouflage paint job consisting of ....... swirls of flat dark blue and swirls of flat dark gray ....... would make it much less visible and make it blend into the waterfront surroundings ..... something similar to the paint job on a Navy landing barge intended to be camouflaged. Anchors away ....... and down the hatch ....... I'll drink to that one! ... !!!
...and it doesn't have to be painted "lake camouflage" on all sides...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
RL_at_LB (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 10:15 AM   #67
wentworthwhitbreadIII

Default Opinion

I have to ask the question how many members of this forum would be happy to have The Dive parked in front of their lake house?
wentworthwhitbreadIII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wentworthwhitbreadIII For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 10:22 AM   #68
Biggd

It's the old, "I love it as long as it's not in my neighborhood".
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentworthwhitbreadIII View Post
I have to ask the question how many members of this forum would be happy to have The Dive parked in front of their lake house?
Sent from my SM-G991U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (07-26-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #69
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts

Quote:
It's not the Dive per se. Obviously, many people don't want anybody parked in front of their house. That's why we have NRZ's and signs along streets that say no parking in residential areas near some sort of attraction e.g. mall, park, concert venue, etc.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #70
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
It's not the Dive per se. Obviously, many people don't want anybody parked in front of their house. That's why we have NRZ's and signs along streets that say no parking in residential areas near some sort of attraction e.g. mall, park, concert venue, etc.
I think the point is that the Dive (and some rafting situations) is not just anybody. A two story barge for an indefinite time period or dozens of boats rafting every weekend is very different than an anchored bowrider or fisherman for an afternoon.

So much of the conflict on the lake is people taking their behavior up to 11
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-17-2021), DotRat (06-17-2021), XCR-700 (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 04:39 PM   #71
Biggd

If we could just get everyone to behave out on the water, things would be great, but we know that will never happen. The more boats full of people, the more chance for people to behave badly. This season out on the water will be a tough one.

ApS (06-22-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 06:03 PM   #72
Mr. V

Quote:
I wouldn't mind, so long as they met the price I'd quote them.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:51 PM   #73
XCR-700

Quote:
I think the point is that the Dive (and some rafting situations) is not just anybody. A two story barge for an indefinite time period or dozens of boats rafting every weekend is very different than an anchored bowrider or fisherman for an afternoon.

Very well said!

And as someone who does not own Winnipesaukee waterfront property, I totally see that the situation you describe has in fact become THE problem over the last 20 years.

In the 1960's and 70's people did things that may in have been more annoying than some things today, but it was in much smaller doses so it was not a problem. Loud boats with open/above the water line exhaust were not uncommon, but the numbers of these boats was not enough to be a problem and people didn't operate them at 6:00 AM or 10:00 PM OR all day long in front of someone else's home. Same for people pulling 2 water skiers and racing down Alton Bay, but it was not all day every weekend day and 50 of them. AND no wake boats curling giant waves/wake! Your biggest ski boat back did not wash the kids off the dock, where as with todays wake boats thats situation is very possible.

All things in moderation. Or so it should be,,,
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-18-2021), dippasan (06-22-2021), DotRat (06-17-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:36 AM   #74
dippasan

Default New vinyl siding

If you haven't seen it lately..........
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2021, 09:02 AM   #75
XCR-700

OMG, not sure but that color might actually be worse,,,

But then I'm not a fan of yellow houses,,,

There must be a way to improve its appearance, this just looks like a, well a dive,,,

Contrast it with the Tiki boats that are too funny and always leave me with a smile.

Maybe they need a Gilligans Island theme, make it look like a hut on a floating island. Or maybe disguise at something completely different, something people wouldn't expect and would might attract interest.

I give them credit for trying, but for me this is not an improvement. I feel bad even saying that,,,
Old 06-22-2021, 09:32 AM   #76
dippasan

Quote:
OMG, not sure but that color might actually be worse,,,

But then I'm not a fan of yellow houses,,,

There must be a way to improve its appearance, this just looks like a, well a dive,,,

Contrast it with the Tiki boats that are too funny and always leave me with a smile.

Maybe they need a Gilligans Island theme, make it look like a hut on a floating island. Or maybe disguise at something completely different, something people wouldn't expect and would might attract interest.

I give them credit for trying, but for me this is not an improvement. I feel bad even saying that,,,
Agreed
It still looks like a 3 family Manchester apartment building to me but that said.... I do hope they can find a place to call home where they can settle in, be accepted by their neighbors and generate some income.
Biggd (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #77
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
Agreed
It still looks like a 3 family Manchester apartment building to me but that said.... I do hope they can find a place to call home where they can settle in, be accepted by their neighbors and generate some income.
Now thats funny!

Again I have nothing against them in theory, I simply say its an eye sore and when its parked at the West Alton sandbar or at the Weirs public dock, its using up space we all hope to use for our boats.

If they were simply docking at Weirs to load/unload and they took their customers on a tour of the lake I have no complaint at all. I'll even try to overlook the appearance ;-)

In truth if it was not already a thread, I couldn't be bothered to start one about it, I'm just not interested enough.

I hope it all works out and they can find a good place to park and a better paint scheme ;-)
Old 06-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #78
Biggd

I think the Tiki theme could dress it up some but it's still lipstick on a pig. Maybe they could have some local artists paint murals on it.

XCR-700 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #79
LIforrelaxin

Quote:

Actually the biggest point in the story of the Dive, is that you really need to fully vet your idea, before sinking Hundred of thousands of dollars into a venture. The dive since the beginning has believed that the only permitting they needed to worry about was from the State, because they would be sitting on top of the State owned property. And from a health and safety code stand point that is entirely correct.

What they failed to recognized, and continue to step into every time they turn around is the fact, that as soon, as the tie to a dock, which is connected to land controlled by the town, they also face additional jurisdiction and regulations. Every time I have seen the Dive have issues, it is with the towns, to my knowledge they have not had any issue with the state. The towns can control their town docks anyway they want. The towns can regulate business that operate with in their boundaries anyway they want. And once a Boat is tied to a dock, which is tied to the land that belongs to the town, the town gains jurisdiction over the business activities.

In the past there have been other water bound business on less of a scale, boats selling ice cream, boats selling burgers and dogs... No issues why? because they never operated while dock side, they never needed access to have holding tanks pumped....or be gassed up, beyond what could easily be done just like any other boat....

At the end of the day, the DIVE is struggling because of the scale of the endeavor, and because of the ignorance of the owners... I had honestly wanted to see them succeed..... But they keep falling into the same situation summer after summer..... If they have actually come out of the Red I would truly be surprised.... Do I think they could succeed, Yes but they need to find a land based partner that has water access, in a commercial setting, that will allow them to function, both tied up, and underway. And then before jumping into action and operations with that partner, clear the plan with the town... The problem is that partnership is going to require the dive to buy into that business, or that business to buy into the Dive....

Alright enough already, FLL you must have some more witty comments you can make...
Kneedeep (06-11-2022), XCR-700 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 05:00 PM   #80
LikeLakes

Quote:
Do I think they could succeed, Yes but they need to find a land based partner that has water access, in a commercial setting, that will allow them to function, both tied up, and underway. And then before jumping into action and operations with that partner, clear the plan with the town... The problem is that partnership is going to require the dive to buy into that business, or that business to buy into the Dive....
And it seems to me like the most likely viable partnering option for the "move around the lake" model might have been the Mount Washington. Share dock space somehow. No idea if it could have worked or not, just a thought.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #81
LikeLakes

I'd like to announce my plan for next year. Based on learning from The Dive's mistakes, I'm building a blimp based restaurant/bar. It will float 20 ft. off the water, making it immune to state boating and safety regs, we'll fly it to some farmer's rented field at off hours eliminating docking problems. We're going to work out a contract with ESA to fly patrons to it where they will climb up a rope ladder to the dining room and bar. Future upgrades will be an escalator that lowers to water level. For those at Braun Bay that need some shade they can anchor under the shadow of the blimp.

And after careful thought and enlisting the best design teams in the area, I've decided to paint it yellow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (06-22-2021), LIforrelaxin (06-23-2021), XCR-700 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #82
FlyingScot

LI and LL--agreed. One thing I'd add you that you both reference--another difference is that certain businesses, such as the ice cream boat and The Mount, may get more sympathy because of their aesthetic appeal. Whether that's fair may be debatable, but it is human nature
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (06-23-2021), LikeLakes (06-22-2021), XCR-700 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #83
LikeLakes

Quote:
LI and LL--agreed. One thing I'd add you that you both reference--another difference is that certain businesses, such as the ice cream boat and The Mount, may get more sympathy because of their aesthetic appeal. Whether that's fair may be debatable, but it is human nature
Honestly, I think there is no question your point has much to do with it. Not much appeal to a rectangular barge that has difficulty moving.
LIforrelaxin (06-23-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #84
Jersey Bob

Default Blimp

Quote:
I'd like to announce my plan for next year. Based on learning from The Dive's mistakes, I'm building a blimp based restaurant/bar. It will float 20 ft. off the water, making it immune to state boating and safety regs, we'll fly it to some farmer's rented field at off hours eliminating docking problems. We're going to work out a contract with ESA to fly patrons to it where they will climb up a rope ladder to the dining room and bar. Future upgrades will be an escalator that lowers to water level. For those at Braun Bay that need some shade they can anchor under the shadow of the blimp.

And after careful thought and enlisting the best design teams in the area, I've decided to paint it yellow.
Brilliant!
Jersey Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #85
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
And it seems to me like the most likely viable partnering option for the "move around the lake" model might have been the Mount Washington. Share dock space somehow. No idea if it could have worked or not, just a thought.
So if you look at the new boat that the Cruse NH just bought and out fitted, it seems to be their answer to "The Dive".. I had a chance to look at it the other day tied up at the Wiers.. it is outfitted to be just what the dive is, a floating Bar..... So I don't think the Dive and Cruise NH getting into any type of agreement is likely....

That is just my personal opinion of course........ However that kind of partner ship, is exactly what the Dive needs...
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #86
codeman671

Quote:
Actually the biggest point in the story of the Dive, is that you really need to fully vet your idea, before sinking Hundred of thousands of dollars into a venture. The dive since the beginning has believed that the only permitting they needed to worry about was from the State, because they would be sitting on top of the State owned property. And from a health and safety code stand point that is entirely correct.

What they failed to recognized, and continue to step into every time they turn around is the fact, that as soon, as the tie to a dock, which is connected to land controlled by the town, they also face additional jurisdiction and regulations. Every time I have seen the Dive have issues, it is with the towns, to my knowledge they have not had any issue with the state. The towns can control their town docks anyway they want. The towns can regulate business that operate with in their boundaries anyway they want. And once a Boat is tied to a dock, which is tied to the land that belongs to the town, the town gains jurisdiction over the business activities.

In the past there have been other water bound business on less of a scale, boats selling ice cream, boats selling burgers and dogs... No issues why? because they never operated while dock side, they never needed access to have holding tanks pumped....or be gassed up, beyond what could easily be done just like any other boat....

At the end of the day, the DIVE is struggling because of the scale of the endeavor, and because of the ignorance of the owners... I had honestly wanted to see them succeed..... But they keep falling into the same situation summer after summer..... If they have actually come out of the Red I would truly be surprised.... Do I think they could succeed, Yes but they need to find a land based partner that has water access, in a commercial setting, that will allow them to function, both tied up, and underway. And then before jumping into action and operations with that partner, clear the plan with the town... The problem is that partnership is going to require the dive to buy into that business, or that business to buy into the Dive....

Alright enough already, FLL you must have some more witty comments you can make...
Why did they pull out of the deal at the Weirs public docks? They fought hard for it and got what they wanted. I haven't followed this closely, but was surprised to hear that they walked. Probably more to the story than I have heard.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #87
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Why did they pull out of the deal at the Weirs public docks? They fought hard for it and got what they wanted. I haven't followed this closely, but was surprised to hear that they walked. Probably more to the story than I have heard.
What I know, which isn't a lot, was that when they realized what the upgrades to the public dock where going to cost Them ("The Dive").... THey realized the ROI, wasn't going to be there....

To my understanding the town was agreeable to them using the public dock, but the DIVE was going to have to finance the agreed upon improvments needed.....Like everything else in the DIVE past, they didn't seem to have clue as to what those improvements where going to cost them, and when they found out argued with the town over who should be responsible for paying for what.....
Old 06-28-2021, 01:24 PM   #88
wentworthwhitbreadIII

Default Lost at Sea?

Is that The Dive that's pushed up against the East side of Paugus Ba off Weirs Blvd that everyone is talking about? It doesn't look to be docked, but more like it's shipwrecked.
The Following User Says Thank You to wentworthwhitbreadIII For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #89
joey2665

Quote:
Is that The Dive that's pushed up against the East side of Paugus Ba off Weirs Blvd that everyone is talking about? It doesn't look to be docked, but more like it's shipwrecked.
It’s been docked there for a while and recently repainted

Old 06-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #90
Mr. V

I guess I don't understand why the owners of the dive are having all this trouble.

Didn't they "do their homework" and get up to speed on all the laws and regulations?

Are they undercapitalized?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #91
fatlazyless

So, click onto The Dive's facebook page, and the first post says:

July 5th - Opening Day .... finally!
Live Turquoise Willie on our new, Dive Stage!
See you all very soon!
Turquoise Willie (clickable link)

Today is July 5 and this post seems to announce The Dive is holding an event with live music but it does not give any location? So, what the heck is happening?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-05-2021 at 09:31 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #92
LikeLakes

Clearly if they wanted you there, they would have told you where the ship was.

Glad to hear they can finally get the business going.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #93
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Turquoise Willie is not bad at all.......good blues
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #94
magicrobotmonkey

They were at the Margate sandbar in Paugus Bay yesterday.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #95
brk-lnt

Quote:

You should plan to add an option for skydiving from your blimp. From what I hear, it is super easy to setup a local skydiving operation and the FAA will help you out with whatever you need.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #96
garysanfran

Default Blimp...

"For those at Braun Bay that need some shade they can anchor under the shadow of the blimp".

And enjoy the yellow rain?
Old 07-07-2021, 10:42 AM   #97
wentworthwhitbreadIII

Anyone know where the Dive is pumping their holding tanks?
Old 07-07-2021, 11:11 AM   #98
joey2665

Quote:
Anyone know where the Dive is pumping their holding tanks?
Does it really matter as long as they’re doing it legally?

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (07-26-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #99
wentworthwhitbreadIII

I was hoping to squelch the rumors out there with some facts. Some nitwit at another beach bar on PB was showing a video he claimed was gray water from the Dive. I couldn't less about the Dive as most of their issues appear to have been self-made, but I also don't think d-bags should be spreading unfounded lies about them.
joey2665 (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 05:07 PM   #100
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

I have seen them in Meredith at the public pump out stations several times. That may not be the only place they pump out but I know that is one that they use.

I am sure with the food facilities onboard and all the inspections they have had they are fine.

Despite what some people may post, the owners are decent people who have invested a lot of their own time and money to bring something different to the lake.

I would rather have the Dive go by my house 10 times than have one of those make a wake loud stereo boats set up out front and entertain everyone within 2 miles for an hour.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Descant (07-07-2021), granitebox (07-09-2021), joey2665 (07-07-2021), wentworthwhitbreadIII (07-09-2021)