Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #1
WeLoveTheLake

Default contractors around the lakes region

Are there any decent contractors around the lakes region that will not try rip you off.

We had very bad experiences with plumbers and heating a/c contractors.

One plumber charged $75.00 for additional expenses where there were none. This was on top of the regular bill.

A contractor charged us $2000 to paint two normal size rooms, no ceiling paint.

I called two appliance repair folks to repair a washing machine, one did not want to come because it was too hot outside,
the other charged me $75.00 to tell me this can not be repaired. So, we got a new one from Lowes.

Another plumber, name starts with L…., was watching TV when I was explaining the work that needed to be done. Seriously.

Only good experience we had was Eastern Propane, they seem to know what they are doing and respect the customer.

Now we want to redo the kitchen, I am afraid to get estimates.
Are there any decent, honest contractors here or do I have to bring one in from Mass.
WeLoveTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WeLoveTheLake For This Useful Post:
dmgaspie (09-05-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #2
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveTheLake View Post
Are there any decent contractors around the lakes region that will not try rip you off.

We had very bad experiences with plumbers and heating a/c contractors.

One plumber charged $75.00 for additional expenses where there were none. This was on top of the regular bill.

A contractor charged us $2000 to paint two normal size rooms, no ceiling paint.

I called two appliance repair folks to repair a washing machine, one did not want to come because it was too hot outside,
the other charged me $75.00 to tell me this can not be repaired. So, we got a new one from Lowes.

Another plumber, name starts with L…., was watching TV when I was explaining the work that needed to be done. Seriously.

Only good experience we had was Eastern Propane, they seem to know what they are doing and respect the customer.

Now we want to redo the kitchen, I am afraid to get estimates.
Are there any decent, honest contractors here or do I have to bring one in from Mass.
Getting good trades people is a problem right now (and has been for some years).

You have to hunt, likely pay a premium, and then do your best to hold on to them if you like the work they do.

When it comes to a kitchen or bath renovation I personally would go with either Lowe's or Home Depot. They do the heavy lifting by getting someone that will work to code, and do a good job. You also have a billion dollar corporation to stand behind their work. Joe's kitchen installation company may be out of business by this time next month.

Several years ago I used Home Depot to do my kitchen and every tradesperson they had did an excellent job. They pulled the permits, showed up when they said they would, installed everything I ordered, did excellent workmanship, and saved me a huge headache!

Would I use them again? Absolutely!

By the way, it was Home Depot who did the job for me. Lowe's came to look at it but told me they weren't interested in it (too much work for them as one of my walls was cinder block and they didn't want to deal with that issue). I felt very lucky that it wasn't an issue at all for Home Depot.

I should add that this kitchen renovation was in my winter home in Florida, but they do kitchens up here around the lake also.

Keep us posted and best of luck!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
dmgaspie (09-05-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #3
Meredith AK

Default Recommend Middleton Building Supply in Meredith

I highly recommend you go to your local building supply location, Middleton in Meredith is excellent, and ask their opinion regarding who to use that is local and trustworthy.
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meredith AK For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
Doobs41378

My brother owns a construction company in Meredith. He has done work for other forum members and would be well known at Middleton Building Supply if you asked there. I know he is busy but might be worth a call. His name is Dan and his website is:

https://bellawoodsbuilders.com/
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
Hillcountry

I don't think they (most contractors) try to "rip you off"...they do it willingly and arrogantly!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #6
winterh

There are plenty of good contractors in the lakes region. You can choose good or choose cheap but you can't have both.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
Doobs41378 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
Woody38

We have had good success obtaining trades people on HomeAdvisor.com. Found an excellent electrician in Laconia. He came and looked at what was needed, arrived the following day, completed the job and kept everything neat and clean. The charge was very reasonable.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:36 PM   #8
RUGMAN

Could not be more happy with Mike Pelczar of Interlakes builders, he remodeled our house and all his subs were great.He is in Meredith.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
jogator1

I agree with RUGMAN. Mike Pelczar with Interlakes Builders is honest and does fantastic work. He's a third generation builder and very well known in Meredith area. He built our current house which won award in Parade of Homes 2016 and also remodeled our previous home. He just finished our addition. I suggest calling him and getting on his schedule as he is very busy.
jogator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
winni83

While we did not use Interlakes and Mike to build our new house in 2012, consider this as a testament to his character. We put our architect's plans out to bid with three local builders, one of which was Mike. Of the three, one company's bid was sky high above the other two. It came down to having to make a decision between Mike and the builder we ultimately chose and their bids were very close. It was not a flip of the coin choice, but it was close. I called each of the unsuccessful builders to tell them that we would not be using them. The sky high company was incensed that we did not choose it. Mike could not have been more gracious and asked me who we decided to use. I told him and his response was "well, if I am not going to be doing it, then you will be very happy with builder "X" -- he does a great job". I have never forgotten his reaction, or for that matter the reaction of the other builder, and have recommended Mike on several occasions, along with our builder.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:37 PM   #11
WeLoveTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith AK View Post
I highly recommend you go to your local building supply location, Middleton in Meredith is excellent, and ask their opinion regarding who to use that is local and trustworthy.
For me, contracting work is like a black box. I do not know if they are doing good work or cutting corners. Most contractors do cut corners. I watch enough Holmes vs Holmes to figure that out.

There is not way for me to tell if the work is worth the quote or trying to rip me off. Most contractors do, especially in the lakes region. This has been my experience.

One contractor replaced the gasket around the metal roof chimney. He did the work, I paid him and that was it. A few months later, second floor ceiling collapsed. I called another contractor, he confirmed that nothing was replaced. So, now you know where I am coming from.

Per all the suggestions, I will be calling Mike, not in a hurry. The work can be done during the winter.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default For Home building

I highly recommend BensonWood out of Walpole. Several examples of his homes are found around the lake with very satisfied owners. Give them a call.
https://bensonwood.com/
Old 08-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
marinewife

I used Carroll County Construction last year, and had great results. Nick scheduled everyone we needed in a timely fashion. The region is crazy busy, especially now, with homes getting multiple bids and cash offers because of people from out of state.

Additionally, you have some very prominent millionaires and billionaires who are buying homes for up to 8M and tearing them down to make bigger ones. Those jobs can last a long time.

Good luck with whoever you choose.
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:43 PM   #14
I.C.Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I highly recommend BensonWood out of Walpole. Several examples of his homes are found around the lake with very satisfied owners. Give them a call.

https://bensonwood.com/

BensonWood is great. I own one of their homes and would recommend for new construction. For repair and upkeep they refer you to local contractors they’ve worked with.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I.C.Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:37 PM   #15
WeLoveTheLake

Either the house flipping shows are fake or the contractors here are smoking crack.

They flipped a house in Vegas for 15K, included new kitchen counter-tops, new bathroom, new fireplace, painting, new appliances and yard work.
A local contractor estimated 12K to redo our small kitchen, included new cabinets and granite counter-top.

Are you serious ?
Old 08-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
Jeanzb1

We have two recommendations.
Our kitchen and bath remodels were done by David Lemelin out of Loudon (The Kitchen Magician) and
Our sunroom addition was done by Jake Dahlborg of Belmont (Revolution Building & Design.)
They are both THE BEST! I can’t say that strongly enough! ❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jeanzb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #17
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith AK View Post
thats very good advice. Middleton Lumber knows who is performing and operating profesionally and can point you in the right direction. we are in crazy times and with lumber mils being closed theres a massive shortage of building materials and what is out there can be 40% higher than normal. for myself and my company we are already booking into next summer. good luck in your search
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
dmgaspie (09-05-2020)