Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
Top-Water

Default Is this a problem now?

Is this a problem now?

Found this on the Center Harbor Town Web-Site posted about a month ago. Every once in a while I see these shows on TV about wild pigs in different places in the U.S. Is there a problem now in the lakes region. Seems odd that this got posted there. Anyone know what prompted Center Harbor to post this and the WANTED pfd.

Center Harbor
https://www.centerharbornh.org/

Feral Swine Information
https://www.centerharbornh.org/home/...ne-information

Wanted PFD:
https://www.centerharbornh.org/sites...nformation.pdf
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

https://wildlife.state.nh.us/wildlife/feral-hogs.html
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
jr616 (04-18-2019), Top-Water (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #3
MAXUM

In all my time hunting all over the state I've never seen one. Then again the SW corner of the state is one area I haven't really hunted either. I find it hard to believe there is any population in Center Harbor, if those things were around, especially if they were to the point of having a population problem I'm sure it would be well known. They can be pretty destructive and aggressive if agitated. That is one animal you don't want getting out of control.

That said they are very good eating.

From what I understand the population of them in NH is confined on a private game ranch.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Blyblvrd (01-05-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I have never seen one either. I didn't even know they were a problem.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
... From what I understand the population of them in NH is confined on a private game ranch.
When I read this, why do I start thinking about Jurassic Park? An aggressive and potentially dangerous species that is supposedly contained in a fenced in area? Let's hope your first sighting of them doesn't turn out to be in the middle of a singular of angry boars.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #6
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
When I read this, why do I start thinking about Jurassic Park? An aggressive and potentially dangerous species that is supposedly contained in a fenced in area? Let's hope your first sighting of them doesn't turn out to be in the middle of a singular of angry boars.
Believe it or not there are a number of fenced in "game ranches" in New England where one can hunt all sorts of "exotic" species meaning not native to this area. This is a concept I simply don't understand as to me "hunting" in a confined area stocked with game is not really hunting. Everyone has their opinion I suppose. I do agree though if that population ever got loose and established who knows what the impact would be. As previously mentioned they are destructive and aggressive. You can bet if I ever end up face to face with one in the woods, it's going to be a bad day for that pig.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
lakershaker

Default But they saved the buffalo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Believe it or not there are a number of fenced in "game ranches" in New England where one can hunt all sorts of "exotic" species meaning not native to this area. This is a concept I simply don't understand as to me "hunting" in a confined area stocked with game is not really hunting. Everyone has their opinion I suppose. I do agree though if that population ever got loose and established who knows what the impact would be. As previously mentioned they are destructive and aggressive. You can bet if I ever end up face to face with one in the woods, it's going to be a bad day for that pig.
It really depends on how big the confined area is, I guess... Over west of Sunapee in Croydon area, there is a 25,000+ acre (!) fenced ranch owned privately called Corbin Park. Lots of room for animals to roam and get away from hunters. This is a very exclusive hunting area, that still has elk. This place actually had a herd of buffalo that was used to repopulate the American West (if you've ever been to Yellowstone, you've seen the NH herd's descendants!) after the bison out west were wiped out. So without a private hunting preserve, we wouldn't have any wild buffalo - always trade-offs...

Corbin Park also had wild hogs that were imported from Europe for hunting. They escaped the fence after a storm way back, and have spread in the wild. That would be a long way to go though to make it up to Center Harbor!
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post
It really depends on how big the confined area is, I guess... Over west of Sunapee in Croydon area, there is a 25,000+ acre (!) fenced ranch owned privately called Corbin Park. Lots of room for animals to roam and get away from hunters. This is a very exclusive hunting area, that still has elk. This place actually had a herd of buffalo that was used to repopulate the American West (if you've ever been to Yellowstone, you've seen the NH herd's descendants!) after the bison out west were wiped out. So without a private hunting preserve, we wouldn't have any wild buffalo - always trade-offs...

Corbin Park also had wild hogs that were imported from Europe for hunting. They escaped the fence after a storm way back, and have spread in the wild. That would be a long way to go though to make it up to Center Harbor!
Interesting I had no idea some had gotten loose.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #9
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Is this a problem now?

Found this on the Center Harbor Town Web-Site posted about a month ago. Every once in a while I see these shows on TV about wild pigs in different places in the U.S. Is there a problem now in the lakes region. Seems odd that this got posted there. Anyone know what prompted Center Harbor to post this and the WANTED pfd.

Center Harbor
https://www.centerharbornh.org/

Feral Swine Information
https://www.centerharbornh.org/home/...ne-information

Wanted PFD:
https://www.centerharbornh.org/sites...nformation.pdf
My guess is someone uneducated about feral hogs in NH ran with this... did I miss the Sasquatch poster too?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #10
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker View Post

I’ve been in Corbin several times. It is impressive. Pigs escape periodically and destroy local lawns. The park fixes the situations when notified. I suppose it is possible some pigs escaped and made their way to Center Harbor over time.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
Grant

After seeing such feral swine in both northern Florida and the Great Smokies years ago (early '80s), I started reading up on them. Turns out that (at the time) there were just a few primary population centers in the U.S. where imported European boars had managed to survive, breed with local domestic swine, and thrive. One was in the Tennessee, N.C. border area (Smokies), another was north Florida, and the third was a small pocket in SW New Hampshire.

The first feral pigs in continental N. America escaped the expedition of Hernando de Soto, the Spanish explorer, in 1539–42. Wild pigs that escaped from Spanish colonists in Florida survived in the woods and swamps so well that today some of their descendants represent the only modern examples of old Spanish breeds that've since been lost to domestication.

In the northeastern U.S., New Hampshire is alone in having a feral swine population. Eurasian wild boars escaped from a game preserve many years ago and remain on the loose in the hills of Sullivan County.

That said, I've never seen one in the state, and had no idea they'd moved north (although that's logical).

Keep an eye out -- the LAST thing this state needs is another destructive, invasive exotic species. Don't get me started on rock bass ( ), and just pray that the snakeheads and Asian Carp don't find their way into our waters. And then there's zebra mussels...
Old 02-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Default ..... deer, deer, deer, and more deer!

You knows just yesterday, Tuesday, at about 4-pm, there was like a neat, orderly line of 12 different deer, all in a long line, waiting to cross the Meredith Neck Rd, at the brook crossing, down below the beautiful horse farm, there.

It looked like these 12 deer had a plan! They patiently wait for a van, pickup, or larger commercial vehicle to come down the hill, from either direction, as long as it has business lettered signage on the vehicle ...... and then one deer at a time will run out front the moving vehicle just so.... that it gets a secondary or minor hit from the corner bumper ......so's it can go that personal injury, ambulance chaser, attorney-injured client route and collect some easy insurance money.

Is an old, but very DEER way, for these deer to collect some easy money for just a minor leg bruise like that, or something.

And these deer, they was lined up .....just wait'n for their turn ..... to get that insurance action working for them ....... deer, deer, deer ..... all 12 in a row ..... patiently waiting their turn to make some money!