Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
justcurious

Default Look Off Rock?

I have been searching and searching for what used to be on a piece of property along Scenic Rd.
I figured it had to be a motel or a restaurant.
I visited the Laconia Library today to see the "Are We There Yet?" exhibit. It was very informative.
I am pretty sure that what was on the property was Look Off Rock Motel and Cabins.
There is a sign post still on the property, but comparing the pictures I saw and the one that is there now, I suspect it may have been changed before the motel was gone.
I would like to locate some photos online so I can show my family. Does anyone know where I can find some?
I would also like to know if there is a book already in print or one being worked on that is basically what I saw on display at the library.
There is a fabulous book on Route 66 that a gentleman wrote and he had the before photos of what things looked like it their heyday and then he took current photos of what it looked like now.
I think this a fabulous idea and it would definately encourage folks to come and take their own road trip!
justcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Winni-Retired

Default Lookoff Rock

The owner was from Pawtucket, RI and a freind of my late father. My dad ran into " John ?? " one day at the Weirs ( circa 1972 ) as we had come up to the lake to visit a friend from South Attleboro, MA, that had a trailer at " Smiths Trailer Court on Senic Road and kept his boat at Vinnie Callahans, Channel Marine. John's daughter still has a summer place on the lake. I will send you via a PM the last name and location if you so desire. I went to school (almost a half a century ago ) and work for many years with John's daughters brother -in-law

What is left of the property is a large cement slab at the top of hill between the Weirs and the trailer park.
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
justcurious

Default Thank you!

I never thought I would get such a quick response! Thank you SO much!
If anyone knows where I can find the road level shot like I saw at the library, please let me know.
I hope to get out there soon to just take a peek. Last time I was there, (some years ago)I did some investigating, but didn't want to go too far on the property since it is not mine. I could see some stairs and the slab from the pull off.
Does anyone know what happened to the place?
I remember many roadside motels and tourists stops from my trips down south as a child. I remember when route 95 wasn't finished and we took the "old" roads. I still remember the gas stations with 33cent gas signs. They were long out of business, but still stood.
There is one more property I am curious about, but I have to go back there (Weirs) and find out the street name it is on. I have no doubt that you history experts here will help me solve that one too!
I look forward to more information on the Look Off Rock property.
Thanks again!
justcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
Boardwalk Bluesboy

Default Look Off Rock

Here is a link to several more pictures of Look Off Rock, courtesy of WeirsBeach.com.

In the 1980's, a developer purchased the property. Elaborate plans for a condominium development were made, submitted, and approved. The developer then tore everything down in preparation for the development. But before construction began, market conditions turned sharply sour in the early 1990's and the project was never built.

In 2008, the empty land was purchased by the developers of the Meredith Bay property on Brickyard Mountain. Initial rumors were that a clubhouse would be built there. However, according to a November 30, Laconia Citizen article, the developers have recently submitted plans for 19 townhouses on the property, to be called "Meredith Bay Look Off Rock".
Boardwalk Bluesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Charming, vintage cottages & hotel

It is a shame that they were torn down for naught.
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote