Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
Onshore

Getting back to the initial question, I don't see why leaving your boat tied to a private dock you don't own would be viewed any differently than leaving your car parked in a private driveway you don't own. You shouldn't be surprised if it gets towed. Yes the dock is in public waters but the end of my driveway is in the road right of way and I'm pretty certain that doesn't mean someone can park in the end of my driveway and block it off. Does anyone know what the legal ramifications would be, if any, if one were to have that boat towed away? Where is Skip to weigh in on this issue?
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
nj2nh (08-07-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
Getting back to the initial question, I don't see why leaving your boat tied to a private dock you don't own would be viewed any differently than leaving your car parked in a private driveway you don't own. You shouldn't be surprised if it gets towed. Yes the dock is in public waters but the end of my driveway is in the road right of way and I'm pretty certain that doesn't mean someone can park in the end of my driveway and block it off. Does anyone know what the legal ramifications would be, if any, if one were to have that boat towed away? Where is Skip to weigh in on this issue?
This was answered in the prior thread provided by Kamper. Difficult, if not impossible to find someone to tow the boat. Marine patrol won't do it. Private tow boats won't either. Also, I'm not sure how it works with a car parked in a private driveway. If I call a tow company to tow a car parked in my parking space without permission, does the tow company automatically just tow the car? Again this is a civil issue, not criminal. My guess is that you would have to get a court order to tow the vehicle.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Onshore (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
Woodsy

You don't need a court order to tow a boat anymore than they need a court order to tow a parked car.... They tow in the Weirs all the time when people park in private spots. Gulbicki's Towing gets all the Gringo tows.

The issue is that the towboat companies probably do not have a storage spot for a towed boat...

Woodsy
Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Seems like moving the boat a short distance of 25-yards and dropping anchor, or tying it to a big cinder block, underwater, could both remove it, and keep it safe.

What would Judge Judy say about that?
Old 07-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #5
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Seems like moving the boat a short distance of 25-yards and dropping anchor, or tying it to a big cinder block, underwater, could both remove it, and keep it safe.

What would Judge Judy say about that?
The trouble is...you shouldn't have to be doing this in the first place!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Major (07-30-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
The trouble is...you shouldn't have to be doing this in the first place!
Hillcountry, is this before or after Judge Judy asks whether he has a job! I love it when she does that!
Old 07-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #7
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Hillcountry, is this before or after Judge Judy asks whether he has a job! I love it when she does that!
This post actually cleared up SO MUCH confusion that I had with your qualifications.
Thank You!
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
MeEscape

Default Chill

IMHO, this thread exemplifies what is wrong in our society today.

Someone comes late to the party and uses a dock that they don’t have a “right” to use. Then they are, maybe, a bit slow or lazy at moving the boat away.

Immediately the discussion goes to “MY rights” and then to most every suggestion short of blowing the boat out of the water. My guess is that could be coming soon. Sounds like a great neighborhood!

There appears to be some sort of history with a prior owner/generation, but I suspect whoever left the boat at the dock was simply, at best, moving slow or just on a different schedule than others.

Maybe, just work it out without the dramatics!
MeEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeEscape For This Useful Post:
camp guy (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEscape View Post

Someone comes late to the party and uses a dock that they don’t have a “right” to use. Then they are, maybe, a bit slow or lazy at moving the boat away.

Immediately the discussion goes to “MY rights” and then to most every suggestion short of blowing the boat out of the water. My guess is that could be coming soon. Sounds like a great neighborhood!

There appears to be some sort of history with a prior owner/generation, but I suspect whoever left the boat at the dock was simply, at best, moving slow or just on a different schedule than others.

I think the history defines the recourse. If you're so chill give me the keys to your car and I'll give it back when I feel like. My timing may no suit your timing. I may be slow or lazy. After all, your so-called "rights" in your car can't be any more or less than the so-called "rights" of the dock owner.

Last edited by Major; 07-30-2019 at 03:21 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-30-2019), nj2nh (08-07-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 01:44 PM   #10
robmac

Please, their schedule has nothing to do with trespassing on someones property! Lucky it wasn't mine I would have had it towed as soon as I didn't see a note explaining why it was there. And to answer your statement that as a dock owner you have no right to be upset that someone dumped a boat where it shouldn't be docked I should wait. SORRY YOU ARE 100% WRONG!
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #11
Onshore

Quote:

This is one of those trolling attempts right? I mean I can never tell. I get asked some pretty incredible questions all the time and well it's my job to answer them so I always assume the person asking is serious but in this case this is a joke, right?
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #12
Major

Quote:
This is one of those trolling attempts right? I mean I can never tell. I get asked some pretty incredible questions all the time and well it's my job to answer them so I always assume the person asking is serious but in this case this is a joke, right?
I guess I bit. I'm trying to get the hook out of my mouth.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
swnoel

Just goes to show how this nation has devolved... I'm pretty sure it won't end well in the near future.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,527 Times in 988 Posts
Default Ah. Success

Quote:
I guess I bit. I'm trying to get the hook out of my mouth.
If so, Good trolling. 68 responses. However, the OP came back with additional info about a court order, which I think was crucial. I just don't know here, but I've been in similar situations so I give the benefit of the doubt to the OP.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
Mr. V

OP: It would seem that you do indeed have a viable remedy.

Given that you have a court order prohibiting them from using your dock, your remedy is to file an action for contempt of court (or whatever the equivalent action is called in the Granite State).
Old 07-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #16
Hillcountry

Quote:
My guess it’s the “chill” kid that used the OP’s dock...sounds just like one of the “me me me” me-linniels...
Old 07-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #17
Hillcountry

Quote:

Sorry but you have it back-asswards...
What is “wrong in our society” is exemplified in...wait for it....YOUR OWN POST.
You portray exactly, the kind of attitude that is taking this country down.
Chill my ass...
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
macbeth (07-30-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #18
nj2nh

Quote:
This was answered in the prior thread provided by Kamper. Difficult, if not impossible to find someone to tow the boat. Marine patrol won't do it. Private tow boats won't either. Also, I'm not sure how it works with a car parked in a private driveway. If I call a tow company to tow a car parked in my parking space without permission, does the tow company automatically just tow the car? Again this is a civil issue, not criminal. My guess is that you would have to get a court order to tow the vehicle.
Trespassing is a criminal offense. It might only be municipal, but it is still criminal once he tells them to move it and they do not.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app