Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
rgilfert

Default Bald Peak (Knob?) Trail Head

The first "mountain" that I climbed as a kid back in the late 1950s was what my family always referred to as Bald Peak (in the Ossipees near Mt Shaw) ... although I don't know whether that is the correct name or not (perhaps Bald Knob?). Last weekend my daughter asked if we could do the climb next weekend and I'd love to get to see the lake from that vantage point again. Unfortunately I don't have a clue where in Melvin Village the trail originates. Can anyone provide directions??
rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post:
Natt (07-27-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
The first "mountain" that I climbed as a kid back in the late 1950s was what my family always referred to as Bald Peak (in the Ossipees near Mt Shaw) ... although I don't know whether that is the correct name or not (perhaps Bald Knob?). Last weekend my daughter asked if we could do the climb next weekend and I'd love to get to see the lake from that vantage point again. Unfortunately I don't have a clue where in Melvin Village the trail originates. Can anyone provide directions??
Take 171 out of Moultonboro into Tuftonboro, after the town line, Sodom Rd is on the right, the trail head is just past it on the left. Small number of parking places, usually other cars there.

OR

If you are coming from the four corners, its just past the "Burma Shave" farm on the right.

Last edited by wifi; 07-26-2014 at 07:21 AM.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default More information....

http://www.franklinsites.com/hikepho...e/baldknob.php
/

http://www.nhmountainhiking.com/baldknob.html

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (07-26-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Natt

Default Bald Knob Trailhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgilfert View Post
The Bald Knob trailhead is at the Moultonborough/Tuftontoborough town line. Mt. Shaw's is at Fields Brook, opposite Sodom Road.
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Natt For This Useful Post:
rgilfert (07-27-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
rgilfert

Natt & Wifi ..... thanks again for you input! We finally got around to climbing Bald Knob last weekend .... and just as Natt said .... the trailhead was exactly at the Moultonboro/Tuftonboro town line. Without your input I would never have found it given the fact that it is not marked! The following you might find interesting :

When I was six years old, 58 years ago (1956), I climbed my first "mountain" (Bald Peak in the Ossipee range) with my family (and nanny) during summer vacation. While at the summit my Dad snapped the attached photo of my Grandfather basking in the sun while lying in the grass. Yesterday, all these years later, I climbed Bald Peak for only second time in my life, however this time with my daughter (Amanda) who snapped a shot of me catching some rays in the exact same spot as my Grandfather had. Looking down from the peak I couldn't help but be overwhelmed (and disappointed) by the enormity of the shore-front changes that have occurred 1800' below me at lake level ..... but that despite the incredible erosional forces offered by nature, the rocks at the summit have hardly been altered by the passing of time.
Attached Images

rgilfert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rgilfert For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (08-24-2014), ishoot308 (08-24-2014), Lakegeezer (08-25-2014), mcdude (08-25-2014), Orion (08-25-2014), secondcurve (08-24-2014), trfour (08-24-2014), wifi (08-25-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Flylady

Default Priceless Memories

Glad you found it and were able to make the trip. Thanks for sharing your special trip.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
Ondawada

Great hike. We just did it on Saturday.
Ondawada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
RLW

Smile

Ondawada, I was just browsing through the forum and noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for joining with the members of the forum. Enjoy posting with us.