Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
camp guy

Default The Vietnam Memorial Moving Wall

A humble and proud committee has been formed in Wolfeboro to arrange for a visit by the Moving Wall, September 24 - 28, 2009. The Wall will be set up at "the Nick" recreation complex on Rt 28 heading north out of Town. More details will be posted as more details are developed. Anyone wishing to contact the Committee may call 569-3769 or 569-6396 for information.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Kudos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
A humble and proud committee has been formed in Wolfeboro to arrange for a visit by the Moving Wall, September 24 - 28, 2009. The Wall will be set up at "the Nick" recreation complex on Rt 28 heading north out of Town. More details will be posted as more details are developed. Anyone wishing to contact the Committee may call 569-3769 or 569-6396 for information.
Kudos to the committee for bringing such an important memorial to the area!!

Respectfully;

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up The Moving Wall

Thanks for the update on the location camp guy. Is it all right that I quoted you on the calendar event?
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
hazmatmedic

Default The Moving Wall

On Memorial Day week-end last year, the Wall was set up in Constitution Park in Ossipee. It was a great success!
hazmatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Join the Fun!

Per the calendar post of alaunit18

The Moving Wall Organizational Meeting #5 will be held on Tuesday, May 26th at 7:00 pm. The meeting will be held at the American Legion Hall, 142 Center Street in Wolfeboro, NH. All are welcome to help out and please bring a friend! Refreshments will be served.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
donnamatrix

Default Moving Wall visit

My husband and I visited the Moving Wall last year in Ossipee on a day that was about 1,000 degrees... it was tremendously touching. As a child of the
60's - a war protester, flower child, etc., I can tell you there are no words... you just stand in front of the wall and begin to cry. My brother-in-law and father-in-law both died as a result of, but not during, the Vietnam War, so very tragic. Go and see the wall if you have the opportunity.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
SLI

I spent time @ the Wall last summer when it was in Newport. I also found it to be emotionally moving to be there and touch it. Families left small tokens for their loved ones. It is a wonderful gesture to spend time there honoring those who 'gave it all' for us and our country. To any of you forum members who are veterans of the Vietnam and all other wars... thank you sincerely from the bottom of my heart.
Sue
SLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
MaidenCove07

Default Thank you

Thank you so much for bringing this important dedication and part of our military history to the Lakes Region for others to see and feel...

The more people that see this memorial, the more who can understand the pain of those who served and survived as well as those left behind.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
WinnDixie

Default The Wall and other memorials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenCove07 View Post
Thank you so much for bringing this important dedication and part of our military history to the Lakes Region for others to see and feel...

The more people that see this memorial, the more who can understand the pain of those who served and survived as well as those left behind.
I can't recommend enough that people see this. I saw the actual Vietnam Wall in Washington quite a few years ago. It's starkly moving. Seeing people making rubbings of names, or leaving a rose by one is gripping, and brings home the reality of what they lost. I felt the same at Arlington later that day. Busses drove in and most of the people who got off made their way over towards the Kennedy grave; a small band, however, went in another direction, to get the location of graves of their own loved ones. Many were elderly. Now I'm old, and especially appreciate what has been said about all the war dead: "They gave up all their tomorrows for my today". It brings one to tears...and it should.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
John A. Birdsall

Default vietnam vets

Several years ago my wife and I took a trip to Washington DC, my purpose was to visit the wall where several of my Navy friends names are. I don't like to think about it too much, it does not get easier. But the wall and all is very moving. While I was there I did visit the Kennedy grave but I also visited with my friend and pastor's grave a tremendous Navy Chaplain. I went across the road and there was a giant black monument (head stone) that had Adm Hiram Rickover on it, and he was next to Thurman Marshall.
I feel for Marshall having to rest in eternity next to Rickover. Rickover hated the black man more than anyone else. I suppose it was fitting to put Rickover next to him. I wonder if his wife had anything to do with were he rests.

As we come up upon Memorial Day, let us not forget those fallen soldiers, and sailors from all wars, and keep those that are serving today in our prayers for peace and safety. Remember "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country"
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
camp guy

Default The Vietnam Memorial Moving Wall

Since I first posted this upcoming event I am deeply gratified by the kind and meaningful responses.

The plans are still on track for September 24 - 28, 2009, at the "Nick" recreation field on Rt 28 in Wolfeboro.

Newmarket had a successful Wall showing last month, and we are looking forward to our successful showing in September.

The Committee is working hard, and if you would like to participate please call 569-3769 or 569-6396. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
Jmo77011

Default Wall

We took our kids to see the Wall last week when it was in Gorham. It was very moving. Along with the Vietnam wall, they also have a display of dog tags remembering all of the soldiers that have been killed in the Iraq war and the Gulf war. Very, very touching. I think everyone should see it...it truly makes you grateful.
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Winni-Retired

I agree, the wall is very moving. I visited the wall last year in Washington DC on 19-May, the 43rd anniversary of the death of my best childhood friend. He was 19, a Marine Sgt with less than 3 weeks left in country. I had with me my son, who was going to graduate from Naval Academy, Annapolis four days later and take his commission as a 2nd Lt U.S.M.C. My son in law, at that time, was in Iraq on his third tour serving as a crew chief on a V-22 Osprey.
John Birdsall is correct " I don't like to think about it too much, it does not get easier ". All the emotions and experiences of that period consumed me as I visited the names of my fellow Army friends. I remember turning to my son and telling him that the torch of responsibility as an leader is now on his shoulders. He needs to make sure that he remembers today and the emotions I have 43 years later and to lead with respect and diginty. I plan to visit the moving wall this Sept.
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
NoRegrets

Welcome to the lake and forum SIR. I am the son of a retired airforce vet. who is now suffering with alzhimers. I have nothing but the highest regard and respect of those that know the honor of serving. God bless your son as he serves. My cousin (Emile Joseph Legere) is remembered on panel 23-E. His fateful day was July 11, 1967.

Next week the Collins Foundation will be at the laconia Airport with a B-17 and B24. This is another moving tribute to the military past.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
riverat

Default A Moving Experience

Just got back from the "Nick" in Wolfeboro where the Vietnam Moving Wall is on display, this is my second visit to the Wall. I have a couple of friends that have lost many Buddies to the Vietnam war and relive "it" everyday, I bring them to the Wall so they can pay their respects and it is a deeply moving experience for them and myself. We will never forget.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
camp guy

Default Vietnam Moving Wall

I started this thread some time ago, and I am humble to say that the Wall is up and many people have been visiting. This is a wonderful event at which respect and honor may be paid to those who gave their last full measure of devotion.

The Wall committee is pleased with the visitation, and urge all in the area to visit. The Wall is at the "Nick" Field, north on Rt 28 about 2 miles from the blinking light intersection in Wolfeboro.

The Wall will have closing ceremonies at 1:00 PM Monday, September 28th.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Rattlesnake Gal

Question Photos of the Moving Wall

Does anyone have pictures of it in Wolfeboro?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #18
camp guy

Default Vietnam Moving Wall

Closing ceremonies were held at 1:00 PM today. Following the Cememonies, the Committee, under the direction of the Wall owners, disasembled the Wall, packed up the parts and pieces associated with it, and bid farewell to John and Joy as they headed to their next site. Then we cleaned up our own area, shook hands and hugged, and the Committee members went home to well deserved rest.

The Wall was a great success, and we want to thank every single person who visited. But, in a much greater sense, the Wall was a great experience - an opportunity for some to visit the past, others to learn of the past, and still others to heal the past. No one can visit the Wall and not come away a changed person.

Thank you all from the bottom of the Committee's heart.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:41 PM   #19
mg2107

No THANK YOU ! Being a Viet vet and having friends on the wall it is truly a moving and healing event no matter how many times you have seen it.
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #20
rrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2107 View Post
No THANK YOU ! Being a Viet vet and having friends on the wall it is truly a moving and healing event no matter how many times you have seen it.
I will second that. This was a first for me. I visited on Saturday morning. It was a beautiful day and I found myself wishing that all the people who's names I was reading and hearing could be there to enjoy the day.

Thank you to the committee and most especially to all the men and women who have served and continue to serve and protect us.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #21
Winni-Retired

Camp Guy,

As one vet to another " Thank You " for the work done to bring the wall to the Lakes Region. You and I, as shared in private e-mail between us, have the same experiences and memories of military service in the the 60's. As many times as I have seen the wall in DC or the moving wall when it came to my area of residence years ago, I still come away filled with emotion / memories of dear friends and combat buddies.

I talked with my son-in-law last night, as he is in Nevada with his fellow Marines, doing work ups for his early 2010 Afganistan deployment and I closed the conversation with a very strong " Thank You " for what you are doing and serving.

I called my son next and told him the same, as he is also serving as a Lt in the Marines. I told him that I visited the wall and after 44 plus years from " that day" I still see my late Lt and chopper commander as the most impressive military leader I have ever known.
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #22
Rattlesnake Gal

Thumbs up Photos From Jeanzb1

Many thanks to everyone involved in bringing the Vietnam Memorial Moving Wall to Wolfeboro. It is wonderful to have this national treasure roaming around the country. Not everyone can visit the original in DC, which was pretty spectacular.

The Korean War Memorial is pretty amazing too.

Many thanks to Jeanzb1 for sending these photos of the Moving Wall for me to post. They sure got me choked up.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #23
CrawfordCentury

Congratulations to all involved for making this important event possible and such a success! I am sure that many, many hours were spent planning and fundraising to pull this off.

Thanks to that group of volunteers who made this possible - as well as to all of the veterans in whose honor they labored!