Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2022, 07:07 AM   #101
Cal-to-NH

Hmmmmm

Intro to pass in less than 45 days on a single amendment and single (voice) vote... Didn't look like a lot of resistance to me.

Good point on what happens in the House... We'll see.

Sununu won't be an issue
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:54 AM   #102
John Mercier

You do realize a pass in the commitee which has schedule that has to be met so the bill can move to the Senate - also not the only bill that committee works on.

And you actually see two VV in your listing. One for the amendment and one for the recommendation of the bill with the amendment.

You keep saying one voice vote... when even your link shows two. But they never record votes on the motion as VV just as further readings.

And it ended up on the regular calendar.

That is for a bill proposed by the committee chair. Who was the one that most likely entered the motion to amend in the first place after suffering backlash by his constituents.
He had a 3-2 vote before even going to amendment.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 12:36 PM   #103
Cal-to-NH

Smile

You're right. Actually, three affirmative votes, not one.

On Feb 10th, affirmative 5-0

https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/Sen...010%202022.pdf
(page 9)

Point also well taken we'll see if it is embraced as much in the House as the Senate. We'll have to see.

I still see that there's a compromise in there that should be OK with everybody in the end....
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:25 PM   #104
John Mercier

He had three affirmatives prior to the vote... even prior to the amendment.
The amendment after the third reading must have been enough to get everyone on board.

What I normally saw in the past; laws meant to cover the entire State generally run into larger debates.

The one NHOHVA got through the House Transportation Committee on a 24-0 vote, got killed on the floor. When they went back again, they moved that only Coos county would be involved... didn't pass the House Transport unanimously that time, but went through even on the floor.

The committees are a slice of the State... so things don't always go as expected.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:32 PM   #105
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
See the 3rdg... that means three readings.
Actually, since all legislators can read now, there is no 3rd reading. At the end of the day, there is a third reading motion, "by which all bills are hereby read a third time", among other things. Same with the first two readings at different times in the legislative process.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2022, 07:52 PM   #106
John Mercier

So it automatically goes to 3rdg? Interesting.

I have never sat in their Executive Meeting, not sure if anyone from the public can, so my presumption was that each time the wording in a motion was changed it had to be re-read.

I know that Hosmer talked to French to get the bill amended to match Laconia more closely... that was in the paper.
But I think that Hosmer, like French, has a little more interest in seeing the bill pass than their constituents.

Especially since Laconia adopted their position without any need for new legislation.
Old 04-01-2022, 08:12 PM   #107
Weekend Pundit

Default Almost Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
The Big Banana I don't remember, but there was a restaurant called the Roadkill Cafe. Pretty good food and very colorful names for the food, as you can well imagine. It was located right where Shaw's is today.

Dave
Actually the Roadkill Cafe was located where the Gilford Mobil Mart is today. (I used to work at their Bartlett restaurant and knew the manager of the Gilford Roadkill as she had worked at the Bartlett Roadkill Cafe.)
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:43 PM   #108
Weekend Pundit

Default Gilford STR Ordinance Still In The Works

The Gilford Planning Board is still plugging away at a zoning ordinance for STRs. At the public hearing earlier this year the Planning Board got a lot of great input from the public and it realized it needed to do more work.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that the proposed Gilford STR ordinance differentiates between owner-occupied STRs and 'commercial' STRs. The requirements are different.

One thing that has been mentioned is the town's inability to clamp down on existing 'distributed hotels'. The Working Stiffs v Portsmouth NH Supreme Court decision declared commercial STRs are hotels. That means Gilford could require all of the commercial STRs in residential zones would need to go before the Gilford ZBA for a variance since hotels are not allowed in residential zones under Gilford Zoning ordinances. However, town counsel has suggested using other means since using the ZBA could tie up the town in court for years.

At Town Meeting voting Gilford voters approved a change in the town's Noise Ordinance which removed some exemptions which makes it easier for the PD to quiet things down. There was an exemption for 'unamplified human voices'. But those 'unamplified human voices' can be really loud, particularly after midnight. I speak from experience, having had to deal with a 'party house' at my previous home in Gunstock Acres. The police could ask them to quiet down, but couldn't do anything if they didn't. Now they can. This will help the town address one of the biggest issues brought up by residents dealing with STRs: Noise.

The town is also working on updating parking ordinances to limit on-street parking as an adjunct to the STR zoning ordinance which also has some parking requirements, particularly involving overnight parking.

Last edited by Weekend Pundit; 04-01-2022 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Typos and some clarifications
Old 04-30-2022, 11:01 AM   #109
Weekend Pundit

Exclamation More Work On Gilford STR Ordinance

The Gilford Planning Board is holding a work session on Monday May 2nd at 7pm in Gilford Town Hall Meeting Room A. The Planning Board will be continuing work on the proposed Short Term Rental ordinance.

The focus of the ordinance is on so-called commercial STR operators. While the ordinances focus mostly on those commercial STRs, some will have some small effect on owner-occupied STRs.