Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
HUH

Thumbs down Derby trash

Sounds like everyone had a great time at the derby.. By the looks of all the trash ive picked up on the ice, it was a great weekend. I know the five guys who endlessly did donuts on four wheelers and urinated behind the bushes in my yard seemed to be having a grand ol time. I know I know .. great for the economy but personally I could do without them.
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
Sounds like everyone had a great time at the derby.. By the looks of all the trash ive picked up on the ice, it was a great weekend. I know the five guys who endlessly did donuts on four wheelers and urinated behind the bushes in my yard seemed to be having a grand ol time. I know I know .. great for the economy but personally I could do without them.
There is no excuse for that at all- leave no trace is the motto I try to live by.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Arubaman

I do not think its right that you down the whole Meredith Fishing Derby just because of five guy doing donuts on a four wheeler and using the bushes.

On Sunday the winds reach speeds up to 40 MHP, I can see how some trash got away from some people.

All summer long you see stuff floating on the water from boaters, maybe you want to stop boating also? And what about the low flying airplane, shut down the airport also?

What about the other 5000 plus that did registered for the derby? The ones who took the trash home with them, the ones that spend money at the local restaurants and lodging.

I think the derby is well run and the people taking part in it are mostly sportsmen you do care for the environment and land owners.
Arubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Thumbs up I think ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
I know I know .. great for the economy but personally I could do without them.
I've got no problem with HUH's comments. He acknowledges that it is his "personal" experience and the value of the Derby to the local economy.

He didn't put down the "whole derby", just the ones that deserved it. IMHO, whether it's the derby, or trash tossing boaters, people that use a shared space like the lake should face stiff penalties if caught messing it up.

Carry in/Carry out should be plastered all over the derby advertising and marketing materials. Same for boat yards and public docks. Along with serious big dollar fines for violations.

VitaBene is right on with his comment.
"There is no excuse for that at all- leave no trace is the motto I try to live by. "

If there was a "Thank You" button on this thread both HUH and VitaBene would have one from me.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
RLW

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
I've got no problem with HUH's comments. He acknowledges that it is his "personal" experience and the value of the Derby to the local economy.

He didn't put down the "whole derby", just the ones that deserved it. IMHO, whether it's the derby, or trash tossing boaters, people that use a shared space like the lake should face stiff penalties if caught messing it up.

Carry in/Carry out should be plastered all over the derby advertising and marketing materials. Same for boat yards and public docks. Along with serious big dollar fines for violations.

VitaBene is right on with his comment.
"There is no excuse for that at all- leave no trace is the motto I try to live by. "

If there was a "Thank You" button on this thread both HUH and VitaBene would have one from me.
Well said and I second the whole Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
tpabrad

Its terrible that people cant control themselves, or even clean up after themselves. I know we made a lot of garbage when we were up there last year but the whole group made a great effort to keep all the garbage in a container.
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Arubaman

When you start a comment with "Sounds like everyone had a great time at the derby.. By the looks of all the trash ive picked up on the ice, it was a great weekend." To me that's downing the whole derby.

We have owned property on Winnipesaukee since 1978,and my parents owned property from the early 50's. I welcome all events on the lake and around the lake.
Arubaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Didn't sound to me like he was downing the whole derby.....just making a comment about the trash which is true. There is a lot more trash after the derby than most other weeks....had a many a fisherman take a "whiz" in front of my place, too, but doesn't mean we don't welcome the tourney. Last week was one of our better weeks this winter and I don't mind picking up a few beer cans and putting up with a little acting up. Wish we had one every week.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Nadia

Thumbs down Such a waste

The piles and piles of dead "non winning" fish I saw one year when walking around after the derby really upset myself and my husband. With the tight regulations imposed on anglers regularly I can't imagine anyone would be allowed to let fish pile up like that and go to waste...
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #10
EricP

I am not a fisherman and the derby doesn't really do anything for me, but there are a lot of very interested and excited people that love it and I walk around and talk to them and just enjoy the experience. We have 4 seasons here are there are lots of activities for everyone during each of them, to each his own. Respect the environment and pickup after yourself and we can continue to have these types of events. I don't like what appears to be wasted fish as Nadia points out. To bad we can't ship it to the Polar Bears who are running out of food while we throw it away, I'm sure they'd feast on it.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
ApS

Thumbs down Everything is relative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
There is no excuse for that at all- leave no trace is the motto I try to live by.
Based on my long observations here and elsewhere, I don't think Lake Winnipesaukee has a problem regarding trash left behind.

This was what tourists saw on a Monday after a regular weekend at a popular river side location in a Southwestern state:

And even an Inauguration will leave more than a "trace":

Old 03-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
donnamatrix

Default Dead Fish at Derby

All the non winning Fish at the Derby are donated to the Squam Lakes Science Center to feed the otters, bears and raptor birds at the center throughout the winter. Their truck comes to the derby HQ around 5pm on Sunday, and all the fish are loaded into the truck. They DO NOT GO TO WASTE. THey are not thrown away, they are used to feed the animals at the center. Believe me, I know, since I am a member of the Rotary and a member of the Derby Committee.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
corollaman

Winnipesaukee is a beautiful lake and I want it to stay that way....I never dump my trash in the lake and I hate it when people do.They have no right to be on the lake if they're not gonna take care of it.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
hazelnut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
All the non winning Fish at the Derby are donated to the Squam Lakes Science Center to feed the otters, bears and raptor birds at the center throughout the winter. Their truck comes to the derby HQ around 5pm on Sunday, and all the fish are loaded into the truck. They DO NOT GO TO WASTE. THey are not thrown away, they are used to feed the animals at the center. Believe me, I know, since I am a member of the Rotary and a member of the Derby Committee.
Awesome donnamatix. That is so great to hear. Thank you so much for your efforts with this worthy event that does so much for the local economy during the winter months.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Well, That's your opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
Winnipesaukee is a beautiful lake and I want it to stay that way....I never dump my trash in the lake and I hate it when people do.They have no right to be on the lake if they're not gonna take care of it.
Some of us see it differently, "One man's trash is another man's treasure". It's exciting to come on to a bottle dump, AKA "trash heap" while diving in the lake. What was seen as just trash, 50, 100, 150, 200 or 250 years ago is now valuable artifacts today. Just think how boring the life of a lake diver would be if our forefathers had the same attitude you have.

But, then again, you probably have a problem with divers, boats over 24', sailboats, fast boats, PWCs, bassers, rafters or anyone else using "Your" lake... Or maybe not, just seems that way to me.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
KonaChick

WD...I didn't take corollaman's post as confrontational to anyone in particular. He simply feels it's important to keep Lake Winni pristine and beautiful and from what I can tell his message is "Please Don't Pollute". I think that's a message we can all agree on!
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #17
EZ-Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
Some of us see it differently, "One man's trash is another man's treasure". It's exciting to come on to a bottle dump, AKA "trash heap" while diving in the lake. What was seen as just trash, 50, 100, 150, 200 or 250 years ago is now valuable artifacts today. Just think how boring the life of a lake diver would be if our forefathers had the same attitude you have.

But, then again, you probably have a problem with divers, boats over 24', sailboats, fast boats, PWCs, bassers, rafters or anyone else using "Your" lake... Or maybe not, just seems that way to me.
Man you have a problem if you think people should throw trash in the lake for some future diver to play with in the years to come. I think you need this stuck some palce.
Attached Images

EZ-Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #18
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
I think your being a little dramatic..
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-Pass View Post
Man you have a problem if you think people should throw trash in the lake for some future diver to play with in the years to come. I think you need this stuck some palce.

Nobody exactly said people SHOULD throw their trash in the lake. Or maybe I missed that one.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #20
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Nobody exactly said people SHOULD throw their trash in the lake. Or maybe I missed that one.
Check out thread 15. I maybe reading it wrong as I see it the same as EZ-Pass. It appears to me that some divers like to see people leave their trash so that they can dive at later years to see what is amongst the trash at the bottom of the lake.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #21
Nadia

Wink Thank You Donnamatrix

Thank you so much for posting that information! Although it still upsets me to see them all lying there dead atleast I know they are put to a good cause.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #22
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs down Floating trash

Since this thread came back to life ...

Maybe the beaver we saw last Sunday on the ice in Alton was looking for some of the "trash" left in Meredith. Either some frozen fish ("gimme that filet 'o' fish") or the leftover firewood seen below ... (4/5/09)
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #23
ApS

Most of what you've circled is "dimensional stock" (dried construction stock).

Beavers prefer green "round stock" for building—after they've chewed the bark off it, that is.

"Ice-Out" might be the best time to put protective netting around your favorite trees, though.

Oops...Never mind...

Final Score...Beaver: 1 Protective netting: 0

Old 04-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #24
HUH

Thumbs down Entire bobhouse through the ice last week

Right off gilford beach..
Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #25
Steveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
Most of what you've circled is "dimensional stock" (dried construction stock).

Beavers prefer green "round stock" for building—after they've chewed the bark off it, that is.

"Ice-Out" might be the best time to put protective netting around your favorite trees, though.

Oops...Never mind...

Final Score...Beaver: 1 Protective netting: 0

I put up chicken wire around my trees, 3 feet high seems to do the trick. My neighbor had a tree that was chewed of at the bottom but was tied to another tree about 6 feet up so it didn't fall. You know what those devilish beavers did - they climbed above the tie off and chewed the tree off so it would fall - UNBELIEVABLE!
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #26
Treerider

HUH must really be ticked off by all the trash on the sides of the road too! Or is it just the Special trash on HIS (Her) Lake???
Treerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #27
Mink Islander

Default Troll Alert

So treerider, do you have a point here? Is there pollution you like? I think you'll find that most of the folks on this site share a common love for the lake. I don't think any of us like to see it trashed.

And you?
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #28
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Disgusting

Regardless of where the trash is, it is one of the biggest indicators of poor parenting and our declining respect for our fellow human beings.

I have been known to redeposit a bag of fast food refuse back into a car- it was priceless.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 PM   #29
HUH

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treerider View Post
HUH must really be ticked off by all the trash on the sides of the road too! Or is it just the Special trash on HIS (Her) Lake???
I dont understand your point.. are you saying that if trash in the lake is ok?
Or that its anyones right to pollute?