Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
MeredithMan

Default Harbor Freight Tools Gilford (new)

We were down at Gilford Walmart today buying things we don't need, and noticed that a Harbor Freight Tools is going in to the long vacant space next to Petco. Have never been in a Harbor Freight. My brother, who is in the commercial construction biz, states that their tools are "cheap sh** from China..." Regardless, I'm just happy to see something go in that space that has been empty for years.
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
8gv

For the person who uses tools occasionally rather than in a trade, HF tools are fine.

Most of what one can find for tools these days are made in low cost labor countries such as China.

The familiar name brands that sound like quality are likely made in such countries.

Are the HF tools as good as the big name brands?

Maybe they are and maybe they aren't but for my infrequent use they are satisfactory.

I too am glad that the space is getting filled and as a HF customer this is very convenient.

The new hardware store on Union Ave. in Laconia and Tractor Supply might not enjoy this as much as I will.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-13-2021), Kneedeep (05-30-2021), MeredithMan (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 02:15 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
We were down at Gilford Walmart today buying things we don't need, and noticed that a Harbor Freight Tools is going in to the long vacant space next to Petco. Have never been in a Harbor Freight. My brother, who is in the commercial construction biz, states that their tools are "cheap sh** from China..." Regardless, I'm just happy to see something go in that space that has been empty for years.
They do have some cheap tools but for the home owner who doesn't use them a ton they are fine.
I had an auto shop and I bought hand tools there because my guys lost a lot of my tools. After losing so many expensive Snap On and Mac tools I decided it was better to lose cheap ones. They give lifetime guarantee on their hand tools also so if they broke they replaced them no questions asked, just like Sears use to do.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (03-13-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default You get what you pay for

You get what you pay for. That being said, 8gv hit it right on the head. For the homeowner that occasionally needs some power tools, hand tools, e.t.c, they are fine.

I got a hand stapler that can also drive small brads from HF. Occasionally it will jam, but clears easily, and I haven't crushed a finger with a hammer when brads need to used. Best tool was its a Chicago reciprocating saw. It was $25 on sale. I have cut metal, wood, and fiberglass. Even cut some 1-2 inch thick branches into fire wood. Easier than cranking up the chain saw.

Most of their warranties are 90 days. They do have a 30 day return on most items. My advise is to buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, return it.

One of my favorite big kids toy stores.

Dave
Old 03-13-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Pleased to hear this. It
is a fun place to shop for tools you never knew existed or thought were too expensive.
Now you won't feel so bad when you drop something overboard.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2021, 05:48 PM   #6
Biggd

I bought a 1/2 " air gun from Mac tools for $400 that lasted 2 years and had to have it repaired. After that I bought a HF 1/2 air gun for $70 that lasted 2 years, threw it out and bought another that lasted 2 years and so on. After 8 years I was still ahead of the game. Most of the tools you buy today are disposable like everthing else, even the expensive ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #7
ghfromaltonbay

Default Harbor Freight - great coupons

We have had HF here in NJ for years. I agree, not necessarily the place for professional contractors, but for those of us who occasionally need a tool, it's great. Also, their coupons have gotten me some "bahgains" as the New Englanders say. I got a small compressor marked down from $80 to $39 as well as an inexpensive set of screwdrivers for small jobs around the house. Since I am in charge of getting gifts for the Dads at church for Father's Day and have a $5 per Dad limit, I have gotten some deals at HF. One year each Dad got an LED flashlight that also flashes red and has a magnet as well as a hook for hanging. With coupons that were good for 8 items, I was able to get 35 flashlights that wound up costing about $4 after the coupons were applied. Another year, each Dad got a 25' measuring tape with a belt clip. Again with the coupon it cost less than $4 per Dad. They also have good prices for tarps and painting supplies. I am glad to hear they are now in Gilford. Will check them out when I open the camp in May. Great prices, and even better in NH, no sales tax!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:13 PM   #8
mswlogo

It's the same cheap stuff china that's all over Amazon.

But like others said, for occasional use a lot of it is fine.

The really good tools these days cost a small fortune.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #9
WinnisquamZ

Agree HF has its customers, but fine tools can be found at second hand stores and yard sales for pennies on the dollar

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:54 PM   #10
fatlazyless

For $79.99, Harbor Freight has a Pittsburgh Automotive 1.5-ton aluminum, rapid pump, racing floor jack with a low profile. A racing jack that lifts up to 3000-lbs in just 3 1/2 pumps. It weighs 33-lbs.

Sounds like it could be a good one to store in the trunk since it only weighs 33-lbs.

Anyone have any experience with this all aluminum, floor jack? Is it good enough to get stored in the back of my 220,000-mile Scion xB with no issue for incompatibility?
Old 03-13-2021, 08:05 PM   #11
Biggd

It's a racing jack so you should be good. You should be able to change a tire like a member of a pit crew.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For $79.99, Harbor Freight has a Pittsburgh Automotive 1.5-ton aluminum, rapid pump, racing floor jack with a low profile. A racing jack that lifts up to 3000-lbs in just 3 1/2 pumps. It weighs 33-lbs.

Sounds like it could be a good one to store in the trunk since it only weighs 33-lbs.

Anyone have any experience with this all aluminum, floor jack? Is it good enough to get stored in the back of my 220,000-mile Scion xB with no issue for incompatibility?
Old 03-13-2021, 09:18 PM   #12
ApS

Thumbs up Half the Travel Time for Tools—Than Formerly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
You get what you pay for. That being said, 8gv hit it right on the head. For the homeowner that occasionally needs some power tools, hand tools, e.t.c, they are fine.

I got a hand stapler that can also drive small brads from HF. Occasionally it will jam, but clears easily, and I haven't crushed a finger with a hammer when brads need to used. Best tool was its a Chicago reciprocating saw. It was $25 on sale. I have cut metal, wood, and fiberglass. Even cut some 1-2 inch thick branches into fire wood. Easier than cranking up the chain saw. Most of their warranties are 90 days. They do have a 30 day return on most items. My advise is to buy it, try it, and if you don't like it, return it. One of my favorite big kids toy stores.
Dave
Harbor Freight tools have recently taken a big jump in prices. "Brand names" have been shuffled and moved upscale in colors and description.

That Chicago reciprocating saw was only $19.99 last year, purchased from their on-line catalog. I bought two, so I wouldn't have to change blades when switching between metal and wood projects. When I did eventually have to change a blade, I discovered the Chicago saw had an ingenious and speedy method of changing blades.

Their best buy has been their little $8 corded grinding tool. Between Florida and Wolfeboro, I may have five or six of them around.

Their trailers, which include folding models, are the cheapest around.
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:27 PM   #13
ApS

Cool Race Car Jack...

Quote:
For $79.99, Harbor Freight has a Pittsburgh Automotive 1.5-ton aluminum, rapid pump, racing floor jack with a low profile. A racing jack that lifts up to 3000-lbs in just 3 1/2 pumps. It weighs 33-lbs. Sounds like it could be a good one to store in the trunk since it only weighs 33-lbs. Anyone have any experience with this all aluminum, floor jack? Is it good enough to get stored in the back of my 220,000-mile Scion xB with no issue for incompatibility?
From pictures, this jack has only two wheels at its rear, and none at the front. This arrangement would be OK for raising a lowered car, like a "race car". (As advertised).

It wouldn't take long to find that a car at a normal height would be dangerous to lift with this jack.

A suitable, 4-wheel, lightweight steel jack can be bought for less than $25—but you still have to take care when using it.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:39 PM   #14
WinnisquamZ

My son the hobby mechanic loves their tool chests. Price and coupon they can’t be beat

Old 03-14-2021, 12:21 AM   #15
AC2717

Purchased multiple hand tools from HF and agree for the typical homeowners the tools are perfect. I also know contractors that use some of ther hand tools because they beat the snot out of tools so the costs are better for them and when employees lose them in the mud or whatever it’s not $50 bill lost
Biggd (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #16
fatlazyless

Gilford Walmart has about five different quality automobile floor jacks and the least expensive is something like $30, only it probably weighs maybe 50-lbs or something, a lot heavier than this $79.99 Harbor Freight all aluminum jack. Is so lo-price because it probably made in lo-price Chinese lo-punishment prison factory where Chinese people get sent for saying wrong thing on internet.

Does anyone keep a floor jack in their car in case they ever get a flat tire, or do you just keep a 20-oz can of the $6.46 Super Tech tire sealant & inflator with coil hose.

Does this stuff really work if you got a flat tire, and this can will actually bring it back to real drivability, or what, and it is needed to raise up the tire with a jack before using the $6.46 can?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-14-2021 at 07:33 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #17
swnoel

HF is like Walmart... everyone hates them, but come out with something!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-14-2021), Biggd (03-14-2021), jst_4_kiks (03-20-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #18
Juiced06GTO

Their US General tool boxes are by far the best for the money even with the recent price increases. I plan to buy a half dozen of them and line the front wall of my new shop with them in a fabricated base with a hard wood/steel top. I'll still be cheaper then a Snap on box when I'm done and Ill have 20' of storage!
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juiced06GTO For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 08:20 AM   #19
steve-on-mark

30 years ago I was working as a technician and bought a lot of equipment from HF...back then it was mail order only. Floor jack was cheap money and still works great to this day. I can't wait to walk through the store when I'm back up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 03-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #20
tummyman

Bought their 8 ft utility trailer....had a coupon, so it was really inexpensive. Have used it a lot and the fact it folds makes it very handy to store in garage. Also have their small 1 gallon air compressor for small jobs...avoids having to take out my big 30 gallon one. One of the handiest tools is their inexpensive trim saw. Extremely useful on all sorts of woodworking jobs or even cutting plaster for new electric box. Think I paid $20 for it and have two...one in MA and one in NH. Over the years, we have been good customers. Will stop in to get the battery operated stick pump to empty 5 gallon gas cans. About $10. Saw it work and it is fabulous for not having to hold those heavy cans up. This new store is perfectly oriented for the Lakes Region !!!
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #21
jbolty

most of the electric tools there are crap but I buy the right angle grinders when they are on sale for 9.99 because I can have one with cut wheel, flap disk, grinder and wire brush and not have to keep swapping. The cut off wheels are junk though. The ratchets are decent but I have found the wrench sizes to be inaccurate and round off bolts. The floor jacks are ok but never got an aluminum version. They had a recall on jack stands because some were falling but those are gone from the stores, was a really bad new design.

one thing I get there a lot with coupon are the step drill bits. Surprisingly long lasting.

as for the rest, give it a try. It's hard to go wrong with hammers and air hose and extension cords.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
rrr (03-18-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 10:37 AM   #22
WinnisquamZ

Yes, always weary of something I need to plug-in from HF. Also, a good source of tape, tie wraps, etc

Old 03-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #23
Paugus Bay Resident

Agree on the US General stuff. I have a couple the 5 drawer carts and a roller. Had them for over 5 years and no issues. The also have a line of hand tools - Icon - that are pretty nice. Cut off wheels are good along with supply type stuff. Just have to pick and choose.

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 03-15-2021 at 02:06 PM.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #24
MotorHead

Bunch of recovery centers, pawn shops, dollar stores, at least two Walmart’s and now cheap crappy tool store. What is next?
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 12:42 PM   #25
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
Bunch of recovery centers, pawn shops, dollar stores, at least two Walmart’s and now cheap crappy tool store. What is next?
Pizza shop and tattoo parlor?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #26
WinnisquamZ

Arby’s and Popeye’s at the Weirs

Old 03-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #27
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Pizza shop and tattoo parlor?
Forgot the strip joint.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:55 PM   #28
AB_Monterey

There are youtube videos of that Predator 20 ton wood splitter.

$899 sometimes on sale for $799.

That's a great deal, if you can ever get one in stock.
AB_Monterey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 03:40 PM   #29
MeredithMan

Default And now to go waaaaay off topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
Forgot the strip joint.
Your post just reminded me....The old King's Grant Inn used to be a strip joint for a while, till they got busted for offering services other than taking off their clothes...
Old 03-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #30
mswlogo

Quote:
Gilford Walmart has about five different quality automobile floor jacks and the least expensive is something like $30, only it probably weighs maybe 50-lbs or something, a lot heavier than this $79.99 Harbor Freight all aluminum jack. Is so lo-price because it probably made in lo-price Chinese lo-punishment prison factory where Chinese people get sent for saying wrong thing on internet.

Does anyone keep a floor jack in their car in case they ever get a flat tire, or do you just keep a 20-oz can of the $6.46 Super Tech tire sealant & inflator with coil hose.

Does this stuff really work if you got a flat tire, and this can will actually bring it back to real drivability, or what, and it is needed to raise up the tire with a jack before using the $6.46 can?
I would not keep a hydraulic jack in the car.

The "Cheap" Chinese jacks, like the one from Harbor Freight are fine, but they are half aluminum and half chromed steel. That will eventually rust. I have one almost identical. I like it. But it's not a true aluminum racing jack. Which I also have and is about $400.00

The reason I don't carry a Hydraulic Jack is several reasons. Sometimes hydraulic jacks leak. Sometimes they can get air bound and you have to fiddle with them to get them going again. Especially when not used regularly.

Both my cars have no spare or jack. So I bought a plug kit for both cars and this jack below. I also have the fix-a-flat but it won't work on my summer tires because they are foam lined for road noise supression.

The jack is made by Porsche and came with older vehicles. It weighs nothing, can't leak, can't get air bound and takes no room. I paid about $100.00 for it on ebay.

The photo is it lifting my 5500 lb Model X with ease.

mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:12 AM   #31
ApS

Exclamation Drillmaster Cordless...

A caution regarding HF Drillmaster 18v cordless drills and chargers.

The smallish battery does not allow the drill to be used for very long. When they appear to be slowing down, it's time for an immediate recharge.

Draining them completely drastically cuts their lifespan. Since buying them over decades, I've found these drills take "different" 18v batteries, and the chargers don't interchange.

A new line takes lithium batteries, but I haven't purchased any in order to comment. But starting out, I recommend not buying their 18 volt NiCad-driven cordless drills. You'll end up--like me--with a hodge-podge of wires, transformers, plugs, and chargers.

Some chargers of the NiCad variety are marked for a range of voltages, which may- or may-not charge your older batteries properly.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #32
fatlazyless

First thing I buy at new Harbor Freight-Gilford will be a $1.99, available only in store, 3/8 x 8" slotted screwdriver. Is available at Littleton-Harbor Freight except that's like a 60-mile round trip drive just for a big screwdriver ...... so, it will have to wait for the Gilford grand opening ..... which is when?

A big cheap screwdriver like this is definitely needed to use a pow'r pull, unless there's some better way to be using a Maasdam pow'r pull.

You know that everyone in Littleton is broke and living on food stamps that are no good to make a purchase at the Littleton-Harbor Freight. Littleton NH is a no sales tax, welcome gateway mecca to the very nearby Vermont area, which is probably why there is a Harbor Freight up in Littleton.

Seems like a lot of Massachusetts license plates show up to the Gilford Lowe's and Walmart, so it should be a winner location for Harbor Freight, too.

Like what do you mean ..... I cannot buy this 1.99 screwdriver with my ebt-money ...... this is so unfair! ...
Old 03-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #33
Biggd

Quote:
First thing I buy at new Harbor Freight-Gilford will be a $1.99, available only in store, 3/8 x 8" slotted screwdriver. Is available at Littleton-Harbor Freight except that's like a 60-mile round trip drive just for a big screwdriver ...... so, it will have to wait for the Gilford grand opening ..... which is when?

A big cheap screwdriver like this is definitely needed to use a pow'r pull, unless there's some better way to be using a Maasdam pow'r pull.

You know that everyone in Littleton is broke and living on food stamps that are no good to make a purchase at the Littleton-Harbor Freight. Littleton NH is a no sales tax, welcome gateway mecca to the very nearby Vermont area, which is probably why there is a Harbor Freight up in Littleton.

Seems like a lot of Massachusetts license plates show up to the Gilford Lowe's and Walmart, so it should be a winner location for Harbor Freight, too.

Like what do you mean ..... I cannot buy this 1.99 screwdriver with my ebt-money ...... this is so unfair! ...
Do they make a left handed one?
Old 03-16-2021, 11:58 AM   #34
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

For those of us that like real tools, and speaking of screw drivers, I have one of these and it is by far the best screwdriver EVER. Now they get $71.00 for one new, when I bought mine it was back in 1994 and they were about half that. Use it all the time and absolutely love it.

I'm sure you can get a crappy one at HF for a few bucks and it will last about 10 minutes before it breaks.
Attached Images

MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
jst_4_kiks (03-20-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #35
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
For those of us that like real tools, and speaking of screw drivers, I have one of these and it is by far the best screwdriver EVER. Now they get $71.00 for one new, when I bought mine it was back in 1994 and they were about half that. Use it all the time and absolutely love it.

I'm sure you can get a crappy one at HF for a few bucks and it will last about 10 minutes before it breaks.
I had that one and it was my favorite.

It died when I left it in a bucket of degreaser and water a little too long.

Since I had such success with it I sought another but found the price to be too dear.

The replacement came from Home Depot or Lowes and has served me well for about fifteen years.

I no longer need to give my tools degreaser baths and I often use my JIS screwdriver instead so it might be my last.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #36
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I had that one and it was my favorite.

It died when I left it in a bucket of degreaser and water a little too long.

Since I had such success with it I sought another but found the price to be too dear.

The replacement came from Home Depot or Lowes and has served me well for about fifteen years.

I no longer need to give my tools degreaser baths and I often use my JIS screwdriver instead so it might be my last.
They have a lifetime warrantee you could have gotten a free replacement. Yes even with what you did to it.

In some cases, they will repair it, but generally speaking you get handed a brand new replacement.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:40 PM   #37
Biggd

Quote:

If I have to use a ratchet screw driver I'm pulling out my 18V Makita impact.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:20 PM   #38
8gv

Quote:
They have a lifetime warrantee you could have gotten a free replacement. Yes even with what you did to it.

In some cases, they will repair it, but generally speaking you get handed a brand new replacement.
I bet I tossed it not knowing this.

I shall hunt for it anyway!
Old 03-16-2021, 09:36 PM   #39
Sue Doe-Nym

Does anyone know when the Gilford HF will open? Thanks.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 04:16 AM   #40
ApS

Angry Sometimes, You DON'T Get What You Pay For...

Quote:
They have a lifetime warrantee you could have gotten a free replacement. Yes even with what you did to it. In some cases, they will repair it, but generally speaking you get handed a brand new replacement.
Snap-On tool warrenty varies with the vendor.

I took a screwdriver back for "repair or replacement". The vendor said, "We'll replace the handle, but not the blade". Now I have a shiny new handle on a useless screwdriver.

Snap-On sells Blue Point, which are not guaranteed.

A friend in auto repair tells me both Craftsman and Snap-On tools are China-made today.

Sometimes, HF screwdrivers are free, and sometimes, $2. Either way, you get four strong reversable blades and two sizes of sockets--all self-contained in one handy tool. (The larger socket tightens hose clamps).
Old 03-17-2021, 08:17 AM   #41
bobkatfly

Quote:

Found one of these for free at the local dump swap shop. Very handy. Use it all the time. Love the fact that it's a ratchet design.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:27 AM   #42
fatlazyless

www.jrs-discount.com on NH Route-104, New Hampton ...... close to Rt 93-Exit 23 is MOST definitely worth a visit ..... you will be happy you did!

This is the place to go for a high quality, large, slotted screwdriver at a reasonable price ....... like, who needs Harbor Freight ....when you got JRs .... already here.

Attention everybody: ....... you are hereby ordered to go directly to JRs on Rt-104, New Hampton, and spend a minimum of 50-dollars ....... this is a direct order ...... you understand ........ hut-hut-hut .. !
Old 03-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #43
dpg

Harbor Freight and Wally Mart beside each other that's just great. I can see the cheap Chinese manufacturers smiling already.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #44
MeredithMan

Default Just a guess, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Does anyone know when the Gilford HF will open? Thanks.
Maybe a few months or more? I don't recall seeing an opening date on the banner they had there. It also appeared that the renovation was just starting, as they were just starting to open up the block wall to put in the door opening. I also just googled "Gilford NH HF Opening" and didn't find any dates, but did find some job postings for the store. In any event, it is certainly not imminent.
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #45
Mr. V

I've patronized HF for many years and have had no failures with the products I've bought, and I am an active "shade tree mechanic" that works nearly daily to maintain and repair my fleet of four older vehicles ('82 - '01).

China-phobes need not shop there.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #46
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Snap-On tool warrenty varies with the vendor.

I took a screwdriver back for "repair or replacement". The vendor said, "We'll replace the handle, but not the blade". Now I have a shiny new handle on a useless screwdriver.

Snap-On sells Blue Point, which are not guaranteed.

A friend in auto repair tells me both Craftsman and Snap-On tools are China-made today.

Sometimes, HF screwdrivers are free, and sometimes, $2. Either way, you get four strong reversable blades and two sizes of sockets--all self-contained in one handy tool. (The larger socket tightens hose clamps).
All Snap-On branded hand tools, storage chests and pneumatic tools, are all made in the USA. Some auxiliary items and compressors are are made overseas or rebranded. The lifetime warrantee remains lifetime on all items made in the USA. That said the warrantee extends to the original purchaser only.

If a replacement is needed and a guy in a truck (independent franchise owner) has the discretion not to warrantee an item directly and most won't if you don't have an active account with them. However Snap-On cooperate will just have to call them directly. Very easy to do but if you think you can buy something used off eBay or a yard sale then warranty it forget about it. You have to prove you are the original purchaser.

Blue Point is a "budget" tool line - the key distinction is they are distributed by but not manufactured by Snap-On. That creates a lot of confusion where many think they are equals and the reality is they are far from it.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #47
Biggd

Snap On tools are sooo overpriced. You're paying a premium for all the mechanics that leave their jobs and screw them out of money owed.
I was in the auto business for 50 years and I agree they have some of the best tools around but their finance charges are built into their prices. So if you're one of the rare few that pays in full up front you are subsidizing the losers that leave their job and stop paying. I stopped buying Snap on hand tools a long time ago but I still bought their specialty tools up until I closed my shop last year.

Last edited by Biggd; 03-17-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2021, 04:42 PM   #48
WinnisquamZ

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/...arbor-freight/

Old 03-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #49
ApS

Thumbs up Harbor Freight: Worth a Look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I've patronized HF for many years and have had no failures with the products I've bought, and I am an active "shade tree mechanic" that works nearly daily to maintain and repair my fleet of four older vehicles ('82 - '01). China-phobes need not shop there.
My experience as well, although it was with some temerity when I stored the extra set of brushes that came with HF's $7.95 four-inch electric grinders.

The Blue-Point brand mentioned previously sells a polyurethane hammer, used to separate delicate metal or wood fittings. At its center is a small steel cylinder, filled with oil and lead-shot. Its purpose is to deliver forceful hits without damaging the work product. However, after a few years, the molded polyurethane covering weakens, and will send large chunks of orange polyurethane all over the shop. (And this is how I found out about the small steel cylinder, filled with oil and lead-shot inside).

No warranty, of course.

Harbor Freight sells a cordless saber saw. For less than $20, it comes in handy when something needs trimming beyond the reach of an extension cord. It's only OK in trimming smaller branches.

My major gripe is that the chargers again look the same, but are not marked, and the voltages are different between HF's saws and HF's drills.

That may change with the introduction of Lithium-ion batteries in place of the cheaper Ni-Cad batteries. Prices, in the newer brands have already gone up on the order of 50 percent.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #50
jbolty

anything cordless needs to be Makitia, Dewalt or Milwaukee. Any other brand changes batteries, or volts or chargers and you get stuck with junk you can't use or a bunch of different batteries.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-22-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #51
Biggd

I prefer corded tools, they never stop. But I do have both. Sometimes you're just too far away from power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
anything cordless needs to be Makitia, Dewalt or Milwaukee. Any other brand changes batteries, or volts or chargers and you get stuck with junk you can't use or a bunch of different batteries.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:08 PM   #52
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I've patronized HF for many years and have had no failures with the products I've bought, and I am an active "shade tree mechanic" that works nearly daily to maintain and repair my fleet
Taken from monthly Harbor Freight newsletter.

"For the last several years, you’ve likely noticed in our stores a poster of a smiling teacher holding a big check for $100,000 after winning the Harbor Freight Tools for Schools Prize for Teaching Excellence. Every year, Harbor Freight Tools for Schools awards over $1 million in cash prizes to be shared among 18 outstanding U.S. public high school skilled trades teachers and their programs."

The company does much charity work.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-25-2021), Descant (03-24-2021), wobbelbill (04-02-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #53
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Taken from monthly Harbor Freight newsletter.

"For the last several years, you’ve likely noticed in our stores a poster of a smiling teacher holding a big check for $100,000 after winning the Harbor Freight Tools for Schools Prize for Teaching Excellence. Every year, Harbor Freight Tools for Schools awards over $1 million in cash prizes to be shared among 18 outstanding U.S. public high school skilled trades teachers and their programs."

The company does much charity work.
That's pretty awesome, not just for the education support, but for the trades aspect of it, which is sorely needed.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
wobbelbill (04-02-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 08:58 AM   #54
fatlazyless

Talking ....... JRs Discount, Rt 104 at Exit 23, New Hampton

Great news Harbor Freighters ...... no need to wait ...... www.jrs-discount.com at Exit 23, New Hampton already has that high quality steel, high quality rubber handle, large screwdriver with either a slot or a Phillips ...... for just two bucks!

I am so glad I stopped in and got mine before all you very el cheapo bargain buyers rush in there and buy them out ...... open four days/week .....Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon ..... 9-5 ..... and DEFINITELY worth the visit, there! .....
Old 03-31-2021, 02:03 PM   #55
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Great news Harbor Freighters ...... no need to wait ...... www.jrs-discount.com at Exit 23, New Hampton already has that high quality steel, high quality rubber handle, large screwdriver with either a slot or a Phillips ...... for just two bucks!

I am so glad I stopped in and got mine before all you very el cheapo bargain buyers rush in there and buy them out ...... open four days/week .....Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon ..... 9-5 ..... and DEFINITELY worth the visit, there! .....
It is a great store for tools tarps and whatnot!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:29 PM   #56
AC2717

I like JR's A lot, and its a great mom and pop store, perfect for that type of stuff for camp use. My problem is that its a 40 minute round trip for me not counting the time in the store. So unless I am heading in that direction which is rare, I tend to not make the trip for a small item and I usually need it when I'm looking for it.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #57
tomcpt59

Thumbs up Good stuff cheap

I bought a Predator generator there 8 years ago, still starts first pull! Lots of other good stuff cheap!
tomcpt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomcpt59 For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-01-2021)
Old 04-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #58
Dad207

Location: Summer home at Echo Shores, Minge Cove; home in Baltimore MD
Default HF Gilford

So, did they open? How is the store, well-stocked?
Dad207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #59
Paugus Bay Resident

Was in HF in Concord this morning. They said the Gilford store will open in 5 or 6 weeks.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #60
fatlazyless

Between now and Gilford opening day in 5 weeks, a total of five defective, cast iron, Scion 2.4-litre 4-cylinder engines will get recycled into steel for the screwdrivers sold at Harbor Freight. Somewhere in South Korea right now is an old Toyota 2.4-engine with defective pistons and rings getting pulverized to be remade into a 5/16 x 8" #2-Phillips, available for $1.99 at the new Gilford Harbor Freight in June.

But, if you do not want to wait till their June opening, www.jrs-discount.com on Route 104, close to Exit 23, already has your high quality screwdriver for $1.95, and is open today on Easter Sunday! Is a good place to go shopping for tools on the way home from Church!
Old 04-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #61
welch-time

...but aren't Toyota blocks made of Aluminiumum?
You may have gone a bridge too far this one Les.
welch-time is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to welch-time For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-04-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 06:22 AM   #62
dpg

Went in my local HF this weekend here in Mass and finally found them to have Nitrile Gloves in stock again. Gone the same way as toilet paper and paper towels they have been out for awhile.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:55 PM   #63
jst_4_kiks

Default Opening very soon

Drove by the new store tonight as I was at Walmart. Sign on the door says they're opening Tuesday May 18th at 8am.

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jst_4_kiks For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-12-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #64
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I have been by and know it is open but the official opening June 5th. Prizes too! (Attn: FLL Free stuff!)

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/busi...ntent=headline
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:02 AM   #65
ApS

Exclamation Virus-Related...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Went in my local HF this weekend here in Mass and finally found them to have Nitrile Gloves in stock again. Gone the same way as toilet paper and paper towels they have been out for awhile.
The same box has quadrupled in price since last year!
Old 05-25-2021, 04:41 AM   #66
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We have been in twice and each time found the items that I wanted at a reasonable price. Deep 21 mm 6 point socket, solid tire wheels to fit my pressure washer and compressor accessories.

Easy to search their web site and see if an item is in stock.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
DotRat (05-26-2021)