Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default It's been a cruel, cruel summer...

Several restaurant owners have taken a beating lately on this forum with posts about "problems" that posters have had with a visit to their restaurant.

However, when these business owners come on to post their side of the story, bringing into light "the rest of the story" it's a totally different matter and we learn there's not really a problem like we were lead to believe.

I, for one, am tired of feeling "duped" by these posters. I think to myself, "Man, I'll never go to that restaurant!" Only to have the owner come onboard and explain what really happened!

I have noticed that these posters often have less than ten posts on the forums before they decide to nail up a thread about a restaurant because they were too lame to figure out they'd ordered an appetizer for their meal or because their kid got sick (but they never bothered to bring the kid to the ER to have them checked out).

I'm suggesting we don't allow new threads or posts in this section of the forum by posters who have less than 25 posts. If they have 25 or more posts, then they can post in the Restaurant Information and Review forum. Otherwise, they need to prove they can play nice with others before we let them ruin someone's livelihood. Posters should show they have integrity because this whole forum won't be taken seriously before much longer if it keeps up like this.

It's been a cruel, cruel summer.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Pineedles

Default 25 Posts?

Well, that means that we won't hear from the Phantom Gourmond in this section until he posts another 12 posts in other areas. He only has 13 so far. I'm sure you're going to be hearing his opinion about this soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Happy Gourmand (08-25-2008)
Old 08-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
krm

Default No offense to anyone

I agree with your intent that people need to moderate them selves when speaking poorly of a biz. I am not sure that post count is the best way, I have seen this suggested on other forums. One problem is someone with 1000 post is not any more intelligent/honest(not sure that is the right word) than some one with one. All posters started with one post at one point.
Def in these economic times we all need to cautious of our word, what effect one person effects all.
Maybe the poster should have to have been to the restaurant a few times before they can post, or know several people that have had bad experiences.
But I def like your train of thought!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

Although I understand the sentiment, I don't think that this is the way to go. The Forum, while it does have some printed standards, is not, or should not be, rigid or "exclusive." Having to deal with dishonest posters just goes with the terrritory. Most of us can tell the difference, and, yes, I am read more critically, if the poster is new. But new posters have to start somewhere. Another red flag for me is the new poster raving about a new restaurant or an old one which has not had good review threads in the past. The results to the restaurant are certainly not devastating as a negative review....but it is still dishonest.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
sa meredith

Default Not so sure....

Wait a minute, now. There has been 3 or 4 threads that got a ton of action this summer, and although a lot of negative stuff was mentioned, I believe the only restaurant that might have been treated unfairly was Lobster Pound, and only that one...no need to re-hash it, we all know what was said.
The Woodshed took a few shots, but they turned to be accurate, and it seems things have gotten better.
Tammarack got hit pretty good last summer and this summer, and much turned out to be true, and then the thread turned to the kid who was fired...by the way, to the best of my knowledge, that thread has just dis-apppeared...the whole thing, gone. What gives?
Zachey's Pizza came into focus for a while..a ton of negative...all proving accurate.
And of course, Waldo Peppers took a small hit, the forum exploded, and alas, the post proved true.
So I would ask...you would suggest limiting reviews to "seasoned" members, because they are negative? I mean, if the post proves true, there should be no problem.
Jusy my two cents...You may actaully have a good idea, who knows...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

There's some good input here and sa meredith makes some good points. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me (or even anyone) but thought I'd run this idea up the flagpole to see if anyone else agreed or had other suggestions.

The restaurant section of the forum is a great resource, in my opinion, as I use it as a guide on where to go and what's good. I've made recommendations to friends/family based on the input in the forum even when I haven't actually visited the restaurant myself.

Although some of the comments about some restaurants have seemed to have come out in the wash, with the owners posting their take on things, I've just noted that many of the negative (and untrue) posts are from people who haven't been around that long.

Yes, I do take into account they're new and the posts have less merit with me, as newbiesaukee wrote, but I feel that this forum could cause damage just the same. Maybe it's just a couple of recent threads that have me concerned but some people have been less than kind.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
GWC...

Since this is the election season, my vote for Webmaster (the person who makes the rules and deals with the legal ramifications) is for Don.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
phoenix

I would hate to put an artificial number limit on posters. I also have to say that I look a little differently when a new poster gives a bad or great review but this is a freedom of speech country( and the live free or die state) and i think we always have Don as the fail safe when a poster gets out of hand. there are a lot of restaurants in the lakes region and i use the remarks to decide to try or not try for the first time , after that i use my own experience.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #9
Pineedles

Default We are strong together

The Phantom Gourmand hasn't responded yet. Perhaps The Webmaster has already put this proposal in effect? Just kidding TPG.

It is a perplexing problem, Argie's Wife. I believe Don put a challenge in asking for substantiation about the suggestion of a "gun" in the Diamond Island accident. This type of monitoring is his job. We can, IMHO moderate the restaraunt section so that people who want to rely on the Winn Dot Com opinions for where to go to eat, can look past the initial post and see a more diverse opinion if the initial post was spurious. It will remain a question though as to who will defend the restauraunt first. The owners response has been particulary effective, but it is Winnie dot com members that post that have the greater effect. Besides, these owners are working fron 5AM to 1AM to maintain their business, so it is not unreasonable to expect that their response coud be delayed a day or two.

It is a nice idea of defending your favorite, but I was the stupid idiot that questioned the post of someone who tore Waldo Peppers (a beloved person, and resteraunt, prior to my post) apart, with their first 1st or 2nd post. The poster was proven to be correct, and I apologized. I have learned to "tune down" my response, but the fact still remains, if you see something that you think is wrong , defend it!

So, in the end I am not in favor of a ban on the first 25 posts until you are allowed to post on the restaraunt thread. Gun shy? Perhaps. Still a staunce defender of what I believe is right, YES!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Although some of the comments about some restaurants have seemed to have come out in the wash, with the owners posting their take on things, I've just noted that many of the negative (and untrue) posts are from people who haven't been around that long.
And how do you determine that the original post is untrue...just because the owner comes on and repudiates it? Who's to say he/she is being truthful. Like I said before, the truth probably lies somewhere in between the two.

Maybe it's just my personal experience, but I don't like business owners/managers who get into pissing contests with customers. I think Pepper handled negative comments on here about her establishment perfectly. But when an owner/manager starts making negative comments about customers, my red flag goes up. That should never, ever be aired in public.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
Argie's Wife

Rose - I determine that a posters comments are untrue when they are so perfectly contradicted by the owner/manager of an establishment and then that person does not return to say, "No, that's NOT how it happened..."

I agree that pissing contests are unsightly but I also think that making potentially harmful statements about an establishment on a forum like this and then not r-e-a-l-l-y being a member of it is also bad. I also agree with you that Pepper's situation was handled gracefully and in a professional manner - she earned more respect from me (if that was possible) in that situation.

But back to my point....

I think there's been some "hit and runs" here in the restaurant forum area. I think Don does a wonderful job of monitoring things here and I'm sure it's not easy. I'm just thinking out loud on how we can maybe (maybe!) improve things....
Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Mr. Moyer

This is silly. We are now censoring who can say what and when. This is ridiculous. This is supposed to be an open forum. As for someone giving a bad review, that is their opinion, and will only minimally effect my decision to eat at a restaurant, if at all. If 6 others chime in and say they have had the same experience, or refute the review as garbage, that may make my decision. All in all, any censorship or restrictions are ludicris.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 PM   #13
KellyG

I have to say that I think it is silly to require a certain number of posts. Let's say you had to have a minimum of 25 posts, what is stopping the person from just posting random things in the other parts of the forum, just to get to that minimum? I do not have many posts, but I have been reading this forum for about 1 1/2 years. It is a great source of information. Everyone also has to remember that there are 3 sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth. I personally do not decide not to go to a restaurant because one person said they were sick after eating there. These restaurants serve hundreds and thousands of people, one person claiming they were sick from eating there, or one person stating that they had really bad service, will not stop me from going to a restaurant. By having a minimum number of posts to make a post in a certain section, new people may not want to come on this forum. Also, someone could have just come back from vacation and wants to post a nice review about a restaurant, but can't because they have under the minimum number of posts. That is unfair to the restaurant.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
jetskier

Post Silly

Hi all,

We went to the Lobster Pound a couple of weeks back and the place was full. I am quite sure that the comments on this board have not materially affected their business. I believe that we all should weigh comments based upon our own metrics. As such, let anyone post who feels the urge. We are all big boys and girls here.

Personally, I gave the Lobster Pound a try independent of the comments here. My impression is purely based upon my experience with them.

In the long run, good restaurants will survive and poor ones will not. Word of mouth is stronger viral marketing than these boards. I would hate to start censoring on the basis of seniority.

Jetskier
Old 08-22-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
RI Swamp Yankee

I think Argie's Wife brings up a good point but the solution is elusive. I remember a few years back when several people had comments about a local business that had gone downhill. Someone chimed in about how great it was and the negative comments were not true. Shortly afterward Don commented that the post had come from the network of the business mentioned. It is easy for someone with an axe to grind to say something good/bad and those comments are read by many people that may not even be members here, just browsing the forum. I think the equalizer here is the responses of the good members of this forum. They make it a point to contradict or reinforce what may be a totaly onesided opinion.

If I may take exception to Mr. Moyer, and with all due respect for his opinion, I think a certain amount of censorship or restrictions is ok. That is how Don has kept this forum from degerating to posts containing material unsuitable for family consumtion as some other forum have done.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:00 AM   #16
redc5

Argies Wife, I guess if you want censorship and this is YOUR forum you can do what you want. I will probably leave and stop reading though. If I want censoring, I can move to China.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:22 AM   #17
livingonwinni

I agree with REdc5 and KellyG, Just cause you don't post on every single little thing doesn't change your experince. And it's all about perspective just cause an owner defend his postion doesn't make the incident any less valid. It seems to me that people with only a few posts pick and choose what they comment on . I'm new to this fourm, but I have been reading it for a long time. Because I don't post all the time means I shouldn't have an opinion??
Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #18
Lakepilot

I read this forum every day. I think it's great. I don't post often because I only post when I think I can make a contribution that others haven't or aren't likely to make. I don't talk just to hear myself talk either.

Censorship doesn't work. I will stop leaving to when moderation turns to censorship, because I won't know what is being censored or how much is being censored. I'm capable (usually) of filtering other peoples posts.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #19
twoplustwo

Default The one hit wonders

Those who join to bash and scram are fairly apparent although your intentions are pure and the sentiment is appreciated, Argie's Wife. When posts completely cross the line, they are removed, and that's a good thing. It's level-headed moderation and not at all Chinese or rap and hip-hop (sorry, the ludicrous/ludicris thing has me chuckling).

Don's moderation is practical, fair, and mostly thankless. He's the iron fist in a silk glove. Argie's Wife is not a newbie- or lurker-hater, just someone looking to solve a problem that probably has no palatable solution. Let's get that twist out of the knickers. And post more.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #20
Argie's Wife

To those of you who wrote that you have read this forum for years but only have a handful of posts.... well, that's how I started out here, too. I understand what you're saying and respect your opinion. My history is very similar. This forum is a great resource for sharing information - it's part of my "daily news".

On one of the Lobster Pound threads, the owner, Mike, mentions the integrity of this forum and questions how it will be taken seriously if people post inaccurate information. I've paraphrased his comment here, but you get the idea of what he's saying.... And he's got a good point, in my opinion. (Have you ever read the "Rants and Raves" section of Craig's List? Good grief! That's the last thing I'd want to see here!)

I also put myself in the shoes of the business owner who is trying to defend his livelihood because a customer went off half-cocked and then decided to go public with accusations of food poisoning, bad customer service, etc. but have no other history here on the forums anywhere. The mad customer is just using the forum for their own agenda - to get back at the restaurant manager/owner who didn't give in to them.

Is that really fair? It's certainly not ethical.

What I'm suggesting isn't necessarily censorship, as it's more of a "quota" or even a verification method (which some forums - yes, open forums) require for membership. And when did "open forum" mean you can simply spew garbage from your keyboard anytime you wish? I'd like to think this forum has way more class than that (and it does!)

Sometimes censorship is necessary for the protection of the other members of the board - I've seen posts and even whole threads removed from this forum in the past - but it was because someone(s) weren't following the rules. Is that reason to leave - because others can't play nicely? I think not...

Like I've said - I don't expect people to agree or for this to be popular but maybe some safeguard should be in place... who knows? But integrity here is important.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:20 AM   #21
KellyG

I have a suggestion. I read the trip advisor forums, and I have hundreds of posts on there, and on that site there is a button on every post that states "report inappropriate post." You click this button when you find something to be inappropriate, giving a reason why it is inappropriate, and then the moderator takes care of removing it. I find that on that forum, someone will sign up and on their first or second post they talk very negative about an establishment. The people that are regular posters, or people that read the forum often, can usually tell that it is someone that just signed up to post negitively. There are others that have read that forum for a long time to get information on their trip and they will sign up to talk about their trip to give back to the boards.

Every person on every forum was new at one point. Does this mean that the person that has a great deal of knowledge about a place should not be able to post because they just found the forum? It kind of reminds me of switching careers. The employer wants someone with experience, but how can the person switching careers get experience if no one will hire them because they have no experience?
Old 08-23-2008, 08:26 AM   #22
Mr. Moyer

RI Swap yankee,

You are absolutely correct, we have a difference in opinion. I absolutely feel there is no place for censorship, especially on this forum. I can't imagine that if you feel differently that you will be able to change my mind. I feel the freedom to express one's self is at the core of our nation"s strength. As for the webmaster, removing whole or partial posts, I would disagree with that practice as well.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #23
Skip

Exclamation Don's is the only First Ammendment rights here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moyer View Post
...I absolutely feel there is no place for censorship, especially on this forum...I feel the freedom to express one's self is at the core of our nation"s strength. As for the webmaster, removing whole or partial posts, I would disagree with that practice as well...
People need to remember, there are no first ammendment rights guaranteed, implied or granted by the owner of this website.

This website is a private domain, the exclusive property of the "Don". The only individual that has the right to free and total expression, as guaranteed by both the NH and Federal Constitutions is the owner of this property...the "Don".

Anyone that wishes to express their first ammendment rights is free to do so, simply by creating a website of their own.

However, whenever we peruse or post to this particular website we do so clearly as guests of the owner, and are subject completely and only to those thoughts and expressions that the owner wishes to convey through his property.

I like being one of Don's guests, and when I am visiting in his "house", I obey his rules. If I don't like his rules, then I am simply and utterly free to leave his house anytime I wish, just as he is free to show me the door when my welcome has worn out.

It's as simple as that....

Oh, thanks for letting me visit again today, Don!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (08-25-2008), GWC... (08-24-2008), Happy Gourmand (08-26-2008), NightWing (08-26-2008), RamJet (08-26-2008), SIKSUKR (08-25-2008), VitaBene (08-25-2008)
Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #24
Mr. Moyer

Skip,

I usually find your posts very informative. I never said that my rights were being infringed upon due to 1st amendmant protection. I simply said that this is where our nation derives it's strength. I also try to instill this in my open family discussions, as well as in my business. I feel that this is why I have been successful and have been open to quaility feedback, solicited and unsolicited. I realize that the webmaster Don, can do whatever he would like since it is his forum, but I am also free to disagree with it as well. We have no protection here as we don't on many website and forums. I just personally feel to stifle any discussion (whether it is through censorship or not), is in poor judgement and will leave this forum weaker in the long run.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #25
Skip

Smile My final thoughts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moyer View Post
...I just personally feel to stifle any discussion (whether it is through censorship or not), is in poor judgement and will leave this forum weaker in the long run...
Thank you for the kind words...

But I will respectfully bow out of this thread as it is clearly starting to deviate, with the following observation:

As a long time member and clear supporter of this site and it's webmaster, with close ties to many other long time members, I clearly point to the "speed limit thread" as a clear and perfect example as to why Don has to carefully control and fairly and consistently moderate discussion on this site, to keep the site's mission within Don's original vision.

I think Don has clearly censored posts in the past, including (deservedly)some of my own, and has at times found it necessary to stifle discussion.

His ability to do so, and do it in a fair manner, is clearly one of the reasons that this site remains so succesful, has grown so large and remains a credible, important and powerful Lake Winnipesaukee region resource.

'Nuff said by me....

Thanks Don!

Skip
Old 08-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #26
angela4design

Default "Consider the Source"

This is interesting... but IMHO, that's why we have the number of posts a user has contributed VISIBLE. So, we can "consider the source". I think that a user with many posts holds more credibility than a 'newbie', as they have more experience posting, and probably also hold good intentions of supporting our local lifestyles, even if reviews reflect a diappointing experience at a restaurant, perse.

I can see the point, some newbies just pull the pin and throw it in, and the forums explode with debate.

Bottom line for me... with experience comes credibility. We can see how many posts they have... It's up to us to 'take it for what it's worth'. It's just good judgement. just my 2 cents
Old 08-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #27
sa meredith

Default Slightly different idea...

This might work..
I have read in the past that Don reads every post...and I'm pretty sure no new account is open until he reviews the information (I think).
So, although it would be more work for him, perhaps Don would consider having every new memeber on moderation, until say 10/12 posts. Meaning he would have to clear their first 12 posts, before anyone could view them. If someone is just looking to make trouble, it would be a much longer process for them, and they would have to come up with 12 reasonable/meaningful posts.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #28
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela4design View Post
I think that a user with many posts holds more credibility than a 'newbie'...
Many moons ago, when the forum had a different format, my husband made his first and last post. If I remember correctly, he provided information on GPS, which was relatively new at the time. He ended his post with a light-hearted comment. A user with many posts critiqued his post, saying it was very credible until the last comment. My husband, having lots of experience posting in the ne.weather newsgroup but eventually stopping because of the divisive nature there, decided that he wasn't going to waste his time posting here if that was the type of BS he'd have to put up with.

When I sarcastically congratulated the "experienced" poster for chasing my husband away (he hasn't even read it since), this poster proceeded to question my husband's manhood because I stood up for my husband instead of him standing up for himself. Luckily, several other posters got on and basically shouted this guy down. I don't know if he continues to post...if he does it's under a different user name. I do know that I don't want anyone who is relatively new to be pushed off because they feel like they're providing an informative post and get grief for it. And perhaps some of them don't follow up because, like my husband, they feel they'll probably get more grief if they continue.

Like Skip, I'm going to bow out of this thread, and perhaps the forum for a while. When I find that my informative to contentious post ratio going down, it's time to give it a rest for a while.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #29
Argie's Wife

Rose.... Skip.... and others....

The heart of this thread isn't to create a "big brother" or some utopian forum with lots of censorship but to look at the integrity of the information we're putting out here in cyberspace. The heart of it is to examine what can be done on a personal or collective level. I am very sorry that you feel you can't be a part of this thread.

I sincerely hope that you weren't offended by my initial post and my counter posts and at the same time, I also hope that others posting on this thread will be considerate in their responses. It is my experience that communication on a forum, in writing, is flat - you can't see my face or hear my voice and know that I'm discussing this as an angry person or as a friendly person. There's a lot missing from communication via this medium, I'm afraid.

I honestly take this as a solid debate of the issue and I'm not bothered by people not agreeing with me. IN NO WAY am I saying my idea or notion is the answer - not at all. Some of you posting against the idea have given some good input as well - certainly food for thought.

Peace.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:15 AM   #30
ironhorsetim

Default my 2 cents..if I may

I came on this site to vent on a situation and went about it the wrong way, It was removed and I have been on moderation since then (which I totally desrved) I might add. Don's job is not an easy one he has to weed out the truths or falsehoods and he basis his decisions on what he thinks is best for this forum. I've found that sometimes what we are trying to say may not come across the right way or we might not have the knowledge or resources to go along with our comments, that's when the moderation comes in. It's easy to come on here and throw in a comment or two but it's facts that people want to read and not just false accusations. Sometimes things turn out to be true, sometimes not, sometimes people come on and pretend to be people they are not for instance ..say a guy comes on and say's he found the best shoestore in the region, cheap prices great service and so on and he ends up being the owner, you never really know. We depend on the moderator to help us through, and he will....my point being if we all use common sense and good judgment we will know what to listen to or what to toss out in the trash....thats my 2 cents...if I may

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
Old 08-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #31
Seeker

I was one of those whose initial post was a very negative review of a very popular (to some) restaurant. I had been reading the forum for some time and had friends rave about this establishment for years. We finally went and had poor food and poorer service with exorbitant prices. It was then that I decided to actually join the forum. Some took me to task over my comments but others, interestingly, confirmed similar experiences.

From what I am now reading this restaurant read the reviews and I have seen no negative comments lately.

Maybe it takes an experience like that or a run in with a Captain Bonehead to get someone motivated enough to post.

Obviously I don't agree with a requirement of X# of posts in order to post in the review or any other forums.

Seeker
Old 08-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #32
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Now,now,everybody.....no need for anyone to leave.Sometimes conversations get "spirited".....I haven't seen a lot that were downright nasty.As long as there are two people left on the planet,there will be disagreements over something and that is fine as long as they are not insulting or disrespectful.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #33
Mr. V

It would be best to moderate ALL posts from ALL posters. All of my posts are moderated. After awhile, this muzzle starts to feel normal.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #34
Waterbaby

I have found this thread very interesting, with a lot of good input. I agree with some points made, and disagree with others. Personally, the way I handle things (for lack of a better way to say it) is when I see someone with relatively few posts slamming an establishment or complaining about something, I click on their name and look at other posts they have made. If that person is routinely slamming and/or complaining, I choose to ignore any further posts from him/her. Does that mean I give more weight to people with a high post count? Apparantly so. I don't even know what my own post count is, I would guess it's not as high as I think it is because I quite often compose a post and feel I am not as eloquent in it as I am when talking, so I just plain don't post it. As Argie's Wife said (and I paraphrase here), this is a flat medium and intonations and facial expressions do not play a part in what one is saying.

On another note, Don does do a fabulous job -- I cannot even imagine hosting a website like this, and moderating same all by his onesies............I sure couldn't do it! And I doubt a lot of other people could, either.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #35
VtSteve

SA brought up the most valid points. It hasn't been that big a problem with most posts, only on a couple of threads. When I read such negative posts, of course, it gives me pause. But I'm quite familiar with boards, so I like to investigate.

On many reviews, things were found to be true, and some didn't like the fact that a place they frequent was not perfect. Some posters have commented on positive changes, maybe as a result of the negativity, maybe just a coincidence. Possibly, a drop in business doe sit.

I've been online for some sixteen years now. By and large, including professional reviews, I've mostly been disappointed by the positive ones with no cons to point out at all. Beware the rose colored glasses. Also, beware the troll with an axe to grind.

PS: I'm still on course to visit the Lobster Pound, and something tells me it's a great place to hang out and eat.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 AM   #36
chipj29

I think the best course of action when you read a negative review is to wait. I will use the Waldo Peppers thread as an example. Someone posted a pretty negative review, and right away the guy/girl who wrote it got pounded on. Turns out the review was backed up by subsequent negative reviews.
Personally I would never not visit a place based on one single bad review. If there were multiple bad reviews, then I might not go.

Read the review threads as a whole, rather than in bits and pieces. It is a lot easier to form an opinion on multiple posts, rather than just one. Of course, the best opinion is formed by your own personal experience...
Old 08-26-2008, 07:36 AM   #37
Happy Gourmand

Default Under 25

Argie's Wife,
Let's get to the meat of this discussion. Is it your opinion that a poster's opinion is of no value based solely on the number of posts he/she has posted?
My opinion is that the term FORUM indicates that opinions from ALL are considered and discussed. Is it your opinion that those of us who have not reached the "maturity" of 25 posts have no valid input into the discussions and questions that are brought forth in this FORUM? Should we all have to embrace your opinions in order to be taken seriously here?
I have hardly ever read anything so ludicrous on this or any other FORUM. Perhaps you are suggesting that before one is allowed to post that he/she complete a questionnaire to make certain that their opinions are in total agreement with those who are more "experienced" on that particular forum?
I have read many of your posts in the past, and have generally opined that you are of sound mind and generally a reasonable person.
Your more recent postings cause me to rethink that opinion.
But hey, I don't have 25 posts yet, so i guess it doesn't matter.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #38
sa meredith

Default Too strong...

Phantom Gourmand...
That's bit strong of a response, no?
I mean, a 25 post limit may not seem like a good idea to you, but, really, I think anyone would have to be blind to at least not see Argie's Wife point a little bit.
New posters have jumped in, with the intention of never coming back. That is indeed a fact. The first (or second) post could, in reality, be anything.
It could contain lies, swears, pornography...anything. She (Argie's Wife) is clearly a reasonable person. I did not see her post as an attack on you...in fact, I sort of agree with "the spirt" of her post...Although I don't think the one hit wonders have been a huge problem.
Let's play nice....
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
jeffk (08-26-2008), Newbiesaukee (08-26-2008), Resident 2B (08-26-2008), RI Swamp Yankee (08-26-2008), SIKSUKR (08-26-2008), twoplustwo (08-26-2008), VtSteve (08-26-2008), Waterbaby (08-26-2008)
Old 08-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #39
Happy Gourmand

Default OK..so maybe....

Maybe my response was a bit strong. I apologize to all concerned.
I do, however, stand by the part where I feel that censorship for "new" forum members seems inappropriate. This is after all a FORUM where all opinions should be accepted as just that...opinions. As a reasonably intelligent individual,(some may not agree ) I think it is pretty easy to weed out those who post with intended malice. I don't feel that one should ever be judged based on the number of posts they may or may not have posted. This rings of censorship at any level and I strongly disagree that it should be condoned. Our webmaster does an impeccable and thankless job of moderating this forum. As it is his, we must all either abide by the rules and regulations he sets forth or move on.
It wasn't really my intent to attack anybody, but as I reread my post, I can understand how it was taken that way. Again, I apologize.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
christo1 (08-27-2008), kthy66 (08-27-2008), Mr. Moyer (08-27-2008), RamJet (08-26-2008)
Old 08-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #40
Argie's Wife

For the record...

In no way did I say that because you have less than 25 posts that your opinion or post does not matter or count. I do take issue with the few "hit and runs" we've had here lately by people who cry about how they were treated but then it turns out that there was a second "dark side" of the story. You can apply my initial post to yourself as well as you'd like but I don't think the shoe fits you, does it? It's not a personal attack on you.

As it has evolved, this is more a thread about posters having integrity on a personal or collective level. I think that if you had, at first, read what I had written and what others had said you (a) wouldn't have repeated the sentiments of others and (b) wouldn't have posted something you had to apologize for later.

Case in point.... having a keyboard and the First Amendment rights doesn't give anyone the right to be irresponsible in their communication.

I was forewarned about you, by the way.

Your apology is accepted.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #41
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Tammarack got hit pretty good last summer and this summer, and much turned out to be true, and then the thread turned to the kid who was fired...by the way, to the best of my knowledge, that thread has just dis-apppeared...the whole thing, gone. What gives?

SA...

The Tamarack post was deleted... Don decided it was time for that thread to die quietly, and I have absolutely no problem with that. I was very dissapointed at the way they treated an employee and I outed them on it. I stated the facts, clearly made my point and as far as I am concerned it is ancient history. Whenever anybody asks me about the Tamarack, (and I get asked quite a bit) I give them my opinion and point them in the direction of Waldo Pepper's, Sawyers, Boston Seafood, Lobster Pound, essentially anyplace but the Tamarack.

I think restaurant (and business) reviews both pro & con are necessary to help a person to decide a course of action. I think its great that the owners sometimes respond to posts here. It shows that they do care about what is being said and it certainly showcases the power of this forum.

Many, many thanks to Don for supplying us with this wonderful place to meet new friends and discuss and debate issues....

Woodsy
Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #42
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Phantom apologizes.....and continues to rant.I agree with Argies Wife that every now and then someone appears out of nowhere with an agenda,viciously attacking a business or individual and then they disappear.I think she just means that it's good to keep a wary eye on posters that follow this pattern.Phantom ,for example has posted nothing but restaurant reviews in a brief period and wants us to believe,by the choice of his screen name that he is an expert. Time will tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (08-26-2008)
Old 08-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #43
sa meredith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
SA...

I was very dissapointed at the way they treated an employee and I outed them on it. I stated the facts, clearly made my point and as far as I am concerned it is ancient history. Whenever anybody asks me about the Tamarack, (and I get asked quite a bit) I give them my opinion and point them in the direction of Waldo Pepper's, Sawyers, Boston Seafood, Lobster Pound, essentially anyplace but the Tamarack.
"...essentially anyplace but the Tamarack"
Doesn't quite seem like it is ancient history.

They probably deserve 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances just like Lobster Pound, and Waldo Peppers, and The Woodshed, and ...on and on it goes.

I understand you have an issue with them (and that's fine...it's perfectly normal), but let's not be vindictive.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #44
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
...I understand you have an issue with them (and that's fine...it's perfectly normal), but let's not be vindictive.
My wife got into an argument with a high school age clerk at Shibley's ice cream 7-8 years ago. To this day she will not buy there. I tell her that the girl is long gone, probably married with kids by now. I should buy the ice cream there and tell here I went to Pop's.

The point is that bad experiences stick with a business for a long time. Every business has mistakes, it's how they handle it that counts. One bad review doesn't steer me away from a business but trends do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (08-26-2008), Newbiesaukee (08-26-2008), RLW (08-28-2008)
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #45
Waterbaby

Default Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Argie's Wife,
Let's get to the meat of this discussion. Is it your opinion that a poster's opinion is of no value based solely on the number of posts he/she has posted?
My opinion is that the term FORUM indicates that opinions from ALL are considered and discussed. Is it your opinion that those of us who have not reached the "maturity" of 25 posts have no valid input into the discussions and questions that are brought forth in this FORUM? Should we all have to embrace your opinions in order to be taken seriously here?
I have hardly ever read anything so ludicrous on this or any other FORUM. Perhaps you are suggesting that before one is allowed to post that he/she complete a questionnaire to make certain that their opinions are in total agreement with those who are more "experienced" on that particular forum?
I have read many of your posts in the past, and have generally opined that you are of sound mind and generally a reasonable person.
Your more recent postings cause me to rethink that opinion.
But hey, I don't have 25 posts yet, so i guess it doesn't matter.
Sorry, Phantom, I think you need to calm a bit............. I think Argie's Wife was just throwing out a suggestion, trying to calm things down a bit and possibly eliminate some of the people who jump in with a very nasty review/post and make this thread a little more pleasant to read for the rest of us -- and I use that term loosely, by "us" I mean those people (members and non-members, posters and non-posters alike) who read the thread for criticques on restaurants. Of course, I'm not "in her head" as the saying goes, nor do I know her personally, so I can only guess what she was thinking. Personally, I appreciated her suggestion and gave my own input to this thread, i.e. I look at recent posts by new posters (and old, as a matter of fact, if their usually positive posts seem to have taken a turn to the nasty side) and decide if I think their posts have merit.

At any rate, I'm rambling, and I still think you need to calm down a bit. 'Nuff said, it's just my opinion.

AND, has anyone ever noticed that this is one of the most contentious threads on this forum? Where someone can post their opinion on a restaurant and get attacked for voicing their opinion?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #46
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default OK now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
Sorry, Phantom, I think you need to calm a bit............. I think Argie's Wife was just throwing out a suggestion, trying to calm things down a bit and possibly eliminate some of the people who jump in with a very nasty review/post and make this thread a little more pleasant to read for the rest of us -- and I use that term loosely, by "us" I mean those people (members and non-members, posters and non-posters alike) who read the thread for criticques on restaurants. Of course, I'm not "in her head" as the saying goes, nor do I know her personally, so I can only guess what she was thinking. Personally, I appreciated her suggestion and gave my own input to this thread, i.e. I look at recent posts by new posters (and old, as a matter of fact, if their usually positive posts seem to have taken a turn to the nasty side) and decide if I think their posts have merit.

At any rate, I'm rambling, and I still think you need to calm down a bit. 'Nuff said, it's just my opinion.

AND, has anyone ever noticed that this is one of the most contentious threads on this forum? Where someone can post their opinion on a restaurant and get attacked for voicing their opinion?
WB, PG already apologized for that post.

I think it is important for all of us to read our posts a second time before hitting submit, whether it is a rant about a restaurant, about speed limits etc. It is easy to hide behind computers and the anonimity of the 'net.

As it has already been said above- one poor review will not stop me from checking a place out but a bunch will, I always look at post counts, and I usually check past posts when a negative review is posted. Please be cognizant that resaurants live and die by their reputation and reviews. Try to be fair and not only post the bad that you experience but also the good. It seems to be human nature to talk about the bad more than the good.

Happy eating!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Winnigirl (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008, 09:53 AM   #47
kthy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
It would be best to moderate ALL posts from ALL posters. All of my posts are moderated. After awhile, this muzzle starts to feel normal.
I too am on perpetual muzzle and Ill admit it is with just cause.. i was a brat and got on a rant and Don gave me a well deserved time out.

but back on track.. to expect Don to moderate every post is a bit much.. The expectation is that we will act like adults and post pertinent and factual information regarding restaurants or anything else on these forum... Yeh there are some of us that get out of hand but like anything else we have to use our own judgement and decide for ourselves what information we absorb and what we disregard.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:43 PM   #48
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthy66 View Post
i was a brat and got on a rant and Don gave me a well deserved time out.
Ah...Kathy, your response to my "time out" was an assault on the site, contact form and many emails just like the one below.

"Brat" is not what I was thinking at the time .

Quote:
On 7/10/08, kathy **** wrote:

Your site sucks!
NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI,
NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI,NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI,
NAZI, NAZI,NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI,
NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI, NAZI,NAZI, NAZI, NAZI,
NAZI, NAZI
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #49
Pineedles

Default Wow

I've never put anyone on ignore before but I am totally blown away by this. The Nazis were and still are a stain on humanity. To equate them with anyone else other than other genocidal murderers is tatamount to either complete ignorance of what the Nazi's did, or well.... I just can't think of any other reason. Very sad.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:02 PM   #50
twoplustwo

Holy smokes. There are no words...
Old 08-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #51
kthy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Ah...Kathy, your response to my "time out" was an assault on the site, contact form and many emails just like the one below.

I absolutely positively did not write that..
and I know you will not allow this post to go in the forum so I guess your accusation will stay there for all to see.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #52
SIKSUKR

Thumbs down

WOW!!!! Kind of sounds like the Lobster Pound rant by a member and then the owner chimes in tells the rest of the story.WOW!!!I didn't know Don put up with this kind of crap.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #53
sa meredith

Default Wow...that's a lot

770 Nazi's....770!
That's a lot.
You don't deserve a time out...more like a game misconduct.
What bothered me more, was the "your site sucks". That's just wrong.
On some forums, it is truly difficult just to become a member, and harder to become one that can post without moderation. Try becoming a member of "sons of sam horn" (if you don't know what that is, no biggie, but those who do, know what I mean). It took me almost a full year just to prove myself as a legit memeber, so I could post freely.
But here, Don gives everyone a shot.
Anyway kthy66, shame shame.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #54
kthy66

Quote:

Ok my bad. I know who sent that crap. Now I know why. I thought I was being moderated for my comments regarding ****, which were out of line as well.
I just spoke with the culprit. It wont happen again. My sincerest apologies for being out of line and allowing that to happen. A young impressionable member of my family heard my frustration with my posts being removed and decided it was there place to take matters into their own hands.
Kat
Old 08-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #55
HAHLY

Yikes! And to think that all I did to earn a "double secret probation" was to use Mr C's wifi connection.

BTW, thanks, Don, for letting me off the hook after 3 years. Now, would you please let GTO off too? He's really not such a bad guy.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #56
webmaster

Thanked 3,722 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthy66 View Post
I thought I was being moderated for my comments regarding ****
Apology accepted but since you again tried to post the same comment that started all this I guess I have to continue the moderation .

Sorry for the hijack. Please get back to the comments related to restaurant reviews.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #57
kthy66

Quote:
Apology accepted but since you again tried to post the same comment that started all this I guess I have to continue the moderation .

Sorry for the hijack. Please get back to the comments related to restaurant reviews.

I couldnt figure out how to PM you so I posted it to the forum knowing you would get it because i was moderated.. UGH! I cant win
Old 08-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #58
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
WB, PG already apologized for that post.

I think it is important for all of us to read our posts a second time before hitting submit, whether it is a rant about a restaurant, about speed limits etc. It is easy to hide behind computers and the anonimity of the 'net.

As it has already been said above- one poor review will not stop me from checking a place out but a bunch will, I always look at post counts, and I usually check past posts when a negative review is posted. Please be cognizant that resaurants live and die by their reputation and reviews. Try to be fair and not only post the bad that you experience but also the good. It seems to be human nature to talk about the bad more than the good.

Happy eating!
Hi Vita.................. Just to explain, I read a post and hit reply and say what I feel I want to say. Later on I may find where someone apologized for a post and I will either delete or edit my post, in this case I didn't feel it was necessary.

I'm going to assume only the first sentence/paragraph of your post was addressed to me and the remainder was to "ALL" , but I WOULD like to say this -- I myself read my posts not twice and not three times but usually four before hitting the submit key, and quite often I will just plain delete because I've lost my train of thought by then. I like your suggestion however, and that's one of the reasons I don't like the i'net. Then there are "pros" to it, of course........

And I could go on and on with this post, but I won't!

(And PS to ALL: I have been on moderation myself in the past, I'm not on it now and I hope I never will be again! Being on moderation certainly taught me a lesson, so those of you who are -- I only have one thing to say: take that lesson to heart, be nice and play nice, and have compassion even when you are hiding behind your computer screen. The poster you are posting to is a real person, just like you are, not an anonymous 17" or whatever screen, so again, play nice.) And let's all thank Don for the job he does, he could just shut this site down in about 5 seconds if he wanted to.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #59
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

WB you understood it correctly. I was merely pointing out that PG had apologized.

The rest of my post were just my musings to the Winnipesaukee.com community- myself included, because I too want this site to stick around.

Thanks for your great advice!!
Closed Thread