Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
weeble

Default Smokehouse - Weirs

Thinking of going there on Saturday. Any recent reviews/thoughts/opinions appreciated.

Looking for a good steak or rib dinner for a B'day. Will be traveling by boat from Long Island and am new to the lake so ease of ride, access, docking, etc preferred.

Thanks
weeble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Good Steak

You're new to the lake. Are you comfortable driving on lake in PM darkness?? I would jump in the car and head over to The Woodshed. If you insist on boating to dinner try the Canoe, Coe House, possibly Church Landing, Willows, Christmas Island. I have never eaten at the Smokehouse. It appears to be a bar that serves food as opposed to a family restaurant that serves alcohol.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:07 AM   #3
MaidenCove07

Default Ummmm...

Don't let the name fool you - it's not a BBQ joint like "smokehouse" would suggest and Hubbard's absolutely right that it's claim to fame is the bar and band scene on the weekends - they have some decent rock and cover bands that play there. It's a great place to see a band, dance, have a few cocktails and watch the Weirs Beach fireworks, but you are likely to be disappointed with the service and the food.

They have a Saturday Prime Rib buffet which can be very good, but it's $18.95 and if you happen to be there when the Rib is near the end, it can be a loooong wait for a new one. The beef and au jus is very tasty and there's also some BBQ pork, chicken, and other sides as well as a salad bar, but it's so hit or miss that you may want to go with one of the other suggestions here on the forum.

I go often as my neighbor is quite friendly with the owner (and it's close to our homes) so when we go, we get seemingly better treatment, but if not for him, I wouldn't bother to eat there at all.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
quagmire

Thumbs up Ribs

If you want good ribs, forgo the boat and drive to Ossipee to the Yankee Smokehouse. Their smokehouse ribs are awesome. It's not a fancy place but they do have outdoor seating.
http://www.yankeesmokehouse.com/
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Frdxplorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
If you want good ribs, forgo the boat and drive to Ossipee to the Yankee Smokehouse. Their smokehouse ribs are awesome. It's not a fancy place but they do have outdoor seating.
http://www.yankeesmokehouse.com/
Couldn't agree more... one of the best places in the (greater) lakes region.
Frdxplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 08:35 AM   #6
wMw

Default I used to work there & I have to agree...

Although I have had some good food there that was a few "chefs" ago. Since he left I have found the food to be inconsistant. My sister, brother, brother-in-law, and mother will never go there again, claiming their meal the worst that they had ever experience in a restaurant...and the staff knew they were serving my family...(to be fair, this was shortly after one "chef" suddenly left and the new "chef" had barely gotten in the door).

Although I may give the SmokeHouse another try someday, it would not be for a special occasion. It's a great location...a table on the patio gives a great view of the lake and it's a great place to watch the hustle of the Weirs or the Friday night fireworks. One of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had was grilled there (and the person who prepared it is still on the grill), but if I were you, I'd save a trip to the SmokeHouse for a plain-jane ordinary day.

Sing...Dance...Love...Live deliberately!!!
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote