Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Kasey

Thumbs up The Coe House

I'm very glad that The Coe House has reopened and that they are offering a very good menu for fair and reasonable prices. The restaurant itself has been tastefully redecorated and the four times my husband and I have had dinner there, we have enjoyed it.

I highly recommend the crab cakes as an appetizer. They are served with a roumillard sauce that's very light but satisfying. The breads, served warm and in a basket, are good and the wine list is decent. To date, my husband and I have had the salmon, Alaskan cod, Statler chicken and the halibut entrees and they have been excellent.

If I have any criticism, it's the inexperience of some of the waitstaff. On two occasions, we have sat far too long with dirty dishes in front of us and have had to flag down our server for replacement silverware or for another glass of wine. We have also waited a considerable amount of time in between the salad and the main course because of the timing of the server getting our entree order to the kitchen. They seem to lack some of the basic "know how" that trained servers have and I hope that improves with time.

All in all, though, The Coe House is back and, in my opinion, better than ever!
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:31 AM   #2
phoenix

we went last night and all four of us had great meals- halibut, two salmons and rack of lamb. Service was very attentive and atmosphere is of course great. great addition to the neighborhood
Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
jeffk

Thumbs up Great time at the Coe House

We went to the Coe House on July 5th for the first time since it reopened. We had an excellent meal and very nice service provided by "Tori". We enjoyed our dinner and were then invited to enjoy the fireworks at Center Harbor (postponed from the 4th because of rain) while sitting on the front porch. Many other patrons made use of the outside "lounge" chairs and we all enjoyed the show. We look forward to going back.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Fishy Cover

Default A++ For Coe House

The family and I went to Coe house tonite for a special occasion, with great expectations-- that were exceeded! Food and service were truly excellent and what made it extraordinary was that we had fussy 2 and 1 year old grandchildren who were neither quiet nor patient. Our waiter and his colleagues did their best to cater to the kids, bring food quickly, extra napkins etc and it was a very enjoyable occasion for us.

We'll go back with just adults as soon as we can.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
jetskier

Default They are back!

Hi all,

We went to the Coe House this evening for dinner. I was the one in shorts with the Chelsea Soccer hat. :-)

Anyhow...the food and service were superlative. Absolutely everything was prepared perfectly. The restaurant pretty much filled up which is great considering that it was a Sunday evening.

I found out that one of the new owners is also the chef...that makes a huge difference.

Give them a try...I was impressed.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
wifi

Default Coe House is the best

I went to the Coe House last night too, I was the one in the jeans Excellent food. Wait staff knew what they had, if you asked for a substitution, they didn't have to go ask. They knew their wines without referring to something. A clean, quiet place for everyone to enjoy.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
LadyJane

may I ask , where is Coe House?
I'm coming up in a week or so and enjoy area restaurants very much. I have never been to Coe House however.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #8
Smitty1

It is at the top of the hill in Center Harbor coming up from the town docks.
(In between Home Comfort and Heath's grocery store)

http://www.coehousenh.com/

Enjoy!

Smitty1
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
sa meredith

Default Casual?

Curious if anyone can tell me...is casual dress OK here... shorts and summer wear....
The pictures make the place look a touch formal.
Planning on going tommorrow evening.
Thanks...
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
Smitty1

Yes, Casual and Kid friendly
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
lakers

Default Coe House

We loved the coe house for dinner! we had reserved the cupola (spelling???) and it was wonderful. food, drinks, service was great. I am definitely going there again!
lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #12
Dave M

Default good as before

Went to the Coe House recently for our anniversary(38th). We called ahead about 30 minutes and a table would be ready at 7:15pm. We mentioned about our anniversary and they told they would put us at a good table. We arrived 5 minutes early so we went to the bar and ordered a drink. Waited just a few minutes and we sat in the Presidential room at a table for two at the front window. Had the crag tots(1), each had the Baby Arybula salad and both had the Filet Mignon and a total of three drinks. All were fantastic and our waitress (Heather) was also. Servings were delivered timely(no rushing/waiting). We had Titamisu(1) for dessert and wasn't expecting what we got. It was more like a cake rather than layers of thin creamy sponge cake. Not that it was bad but not what we expected.

Some Notes

We had no problem with phone ahead arrangement, granted only two of us. We had planned arriving by boat and asked if there would be a problem if couldn't find parking spot. They had no problems with this as long as we were coming. Turns out thunderstorm warnings killed that. Would have been nice to finish a great night with a night ride home.

We noticed most persons were in casual dress, men with slacks with dress/polo shirts, women in dresses or slacks and top.

We consider Coe House a special occasion or a monthy kind of thing. Our budget couldn't handle the expense weekly. Cost including tip was $130. Found to be comparable to other places we visited.

Another great experience here, would go back in a heartbeat. Consider Coe House one of the best places to eat. We have tried Kevin's and Lemon Grass and we prefer Coe House due to atmosphere where the other places had open dining rooms versus separate rooms. Seems to be more quiet. Also feel the food was better even though we had the same meal this time. We heard at other tables make good comments on their meals.

Enjoy

Dave M

PS Didn't get to check upstairs, what have they done.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
winniplayhouse

A couple of people have mentioned that The Coe House is kid-friendly. I looked at their menu online and am wondering if they have a separate kids' menu. If so, what kinds of things does it offer? Thanks!
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniplayhouse
A couple of people have mentioned that The Coe House is kid-friendly. I looked at their menu online and am wondering if they have a separate kids' menu. If so, what kinds of things does it offer? Thanks!
I didn't see any specific kids meals on the menu when we were there last weekend. As far as having a seperate menu I'm not sure. To be honest it's probably not the best place to bring little ones. It's really a dining experience more than a restaurant with the food paced in a manner condusive to conversation and a relaxed evening. We went last weekend and enjoyed it immensly!! The food was wonderful and the service was fantastic. I enjoyed the fact there weren't any little ones running around. It's really a "grown-up" restaurant. There are so many restaurants to bring kids to..hire a babysitter and enjoy the evening to yourselves!! Just my opinion.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #15
winniplayhouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick
I didn't see any specific kids meals on the menu when we were there last weekend. As far as having a seperate menu I'm not sure. To be honest it's probably not the best place to bring little ones. It's really a dining experience more than a restaurant with the food paced in a manner condusive to conversation and a relaxed evening. We went last weekend and enjoyed it immensly!! The food was wonderful and the service was fantastic. I enjoyed the fact there weren't any little ones running around. It's really a "grown-up" restaurant. There are so many restaurants to bring kids to..hire a babysitter and enjoy the evening to yourselves!! Just my opinion.
Funny you should say that! When I didn't get a response here I called the restaurant and they told me they did have a kids' menu. We took three kids (age 3-6) there on Monday night. The kids' menu was limited but the staff couldn't have been nicer. They ended up making two of the kids plain pasta off the menu and the third kid had a burger from the kids' menu. Our kids were relatively tired after a day of swimming so they weren't exactly on their best behavoir (although they weren't terrible). As there was nobody else in the room we were in we didn't bother any other customers, and, as I said, the staff was really lovely with them.

However, I enjoyed the meal so much that last night my husband and I went solo - leaving our daughter with the grandparents! I was very impressed with the restaurant and esp. their handling of the kids but I do agree with something special like that it was much more enjoyable just the two of us!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #16
KonaChick

I'm so glad you had a good time! We loved loved loved it and I was was very pleased when I asked and the hostess told me they would be open throughout the winter. This restaurant is such an asset to the Lakes Region.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #17
skisox24

Default Coe House Revisited

The "old" Coe House crew did not impress. I always found the wait help to be pompous and impatient. While the setting in the dining room was always impressive, the quality of the menu and food rarely equalled our reasonable level of expectation.

We had but one opportunity to visit the "new" Coe House this season. And then, it was only in the lounge area where we chose to order from the bar menu.

We found the food to be reasonably priced and well prepared. We liked the renovations that were made. The wait service no longer imposed an unwarranted atttitude of snobbery and superiority. We felt encouraged by the changes, although, that impression was admittedly formed after only one vist. We are anxious to evaluate their services and food during the offseason.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #18
winniplayhouse

Default Sunday Brunch

Has anyone tried their new Sunday brunch? Is it a buffet or table service? What kinds of items are on offer?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #19
IrishEyes

Default Sunday Brunch

I went to the The Sunday Brunch two weeks ago and it was delicious. The brunch is offered by menu which includes many of their regular selections as well as eggs benedict, lobster benedict, steak & eggs, stuffed french toast (yummie), waffles, omelets, etc.

IrishEyes
IrishEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #20
winniplayhouse

Sounds good... looking forward to trying it this week!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #21
Newbiesaukee

We have enjoyed meals at the Coe House all summer. The restaurant has improved greatly during its inaugural season. And they now take reservations which they were not doing earlier this summer.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #22
Dave M

Default Coe House - Breakfast

Am I reading correctly that Coe House has a separate breakfast menu an addition to the Buffet. What is the cost of the Buffet. Are they still offering both now that the "season" is over.

Thanks

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #23
winniplayhouse

Nope the brunch does not have a buffet, just the table service. It was really good though!