Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
psu1978

Default Good restaurants for families

Heading up to the Inns at Mills Falls for about a week and are looking for recommendations for good family restaurants. Not looking for anything fancy, just good food. My husband and son are meat and potatoes guys - my daughter and I are more adventurous and like seafood. So far we plan on eating at The Lakehouse, Camp, and Hart's Turkey Farm (yes I know it doesn't get the best reviews, but we really like it ).

We'll be there end of July/beginning of August. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
psu1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
GusMan

Default Family restaurants...

Since you're staying in Merideth, I would definitely recommend Gioseppe's at the Mills Falls complex for good pizza, a nice atmosphere and outdoor seating. Another favorite of mine is Patrick's Pub in Gilford, about 20 minutes south of Merideth... great pub food with rotisserie specials that are quite good.

Other possibilities include JT's BBQ and Waldo Peppers near the weirs... the former a laid back BBQ joint the latter a fantastic takeout/upscale sub shop .. get the lobster roll!

For breakfast, I like Donna Jeans at the weirs, George's Diner in Merideth and the Country Kitchen in Moultonboro.

Canoe in Center Harbor is a more upscale alternative, but has a reputation for not being particularly child friendly (depending on their age).. but the food is outstanding.

Hope this helps!

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Lucky2Bhere

Guiseppe's-Italian and Pizza
Georges Diner-Low cost family fare but good
Village Kitchen- Low cost family fare but very good
Coe House-More upscale pub and fine dining
The Black Snout-Haven't been but good reviews
Woodshed-Steak for the boys in a great environment

As you can see I focus on Meredith, Center Harbor, and Moultonborough
Lucky2Bhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Drummer Girl

WALDO PEPPERS!
Drummer Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #5
quagmire

The Mug Restaurant
62 Daniel Webster Highway
Center Harbor, NH
(603) 279-8596

Anthony's Old Style Pizzeria
RR 25, Center Harbor, NH

Buckey's Restaurants Tavern
240 Governor Wentworth H, Moultonborough, NH rt 109

Gilligan's Restaurant & Tavern
Corner Of Old Route 109 25, Moultonborough, NH
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
mets3007

Default Family Friendly Places

Alot of places up in the Lakes Region are family friendly

1. Friendly's in Laconia

2. Jt's BBQ - across from Funspot

3. Any Diner for breakfast ( Paugus Bay Diner, Donna Jeans and Ames to name a few are good)

and many more are family friendly as well
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:35 AM   #7
psu1978

Default Thanks

Thanks for all your suggestions. Looking forward to trying some new places to eat.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
Liquorish

Hi PSU,
you might want to try the new Tbones and CJs in Laconia.
Both seem to be doing great things, also if you like Chinese/Sushi try Peking Tokyo in Gilford at the Hannafords plaza. The Wolftrap in Wolfboro has good seafood, and if your into lobsters you should try the Sandy Point in Alton. Have fun
Liquorish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
camp guy

Default Good Restaurants for Families

You didn't mention the children's ages, and I would hesitate to ask, but you might make a day trip to Wolfeboro and try The Barn on Rt 28 N. This may be for eaters who aren't "little" children, and you could try Morrissey's Front Porch on Rt 28 S out of Town. They cater to chldren of all ages. If you like ribs, and all the mess that goes with them, try The Yankee Smokehouse on the corner of Rt 28 and Rt 25 in Ossipee, then you can shoot right across Rt 25W back to Meredith. There is no lack of restaurants in the Lakes Region.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #10
winniplayhouse

A novelty for the kids at CJs/T Bones is that they have Etch-a-sketches instead of the usual pack of four crayons and a coloring sheet. My 3 year old thought that was very cool.
winniplayhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #11
rander7823

Default ELLACOYA BARN and GRILLE

Try this place in Gilford

It is just past the Ellacoya State Park heading up the hill. My wife and 3 girls went there for the first time last summer and my wife wants to go back this year for her birthday dinner.
The bread was really good and they had this hot dip appetizer with homemade chips that was great.

We also go to Patricks and we make at least two stops at Waldo Peppers. Alos not sure what it is called but the place behind the Wier Pier over looking the lake is not exact haute cusine, but you can't beat the view.

And Garwoods in Wolfboro....my 10 year old loved the Lobster Salad...I thought I was going to get more than just the check for that one but she chowed it down

Have a great time
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #12
psu1978

Default Wow!

So many places...so little time. This is perfect because no matter where we happen to be at dinner time, we have a list of places that come highly recommended by the experts.

The "kids" are actually 16 & 11, but I requested family friendly because my hubbie and son are on the picky side and we are looking for more casual dining this trip. Last summer we spent some time at The Mt. Washington Hotel and The Balsams and no one wants to dress up this time around.

Thanks again for all your help. Sure wish I was there instead of here. Someday.........
Old 05-30-2007, 06:12 AM   #13
dpg

"Other possibilities include JT's BBQ and Waldo Peppers near the weirs... the former a laid back BBQ joint the latter a fantastic takeout/upscale sub shop .. get the lobster roll!"

So what do people think of JT's? For years I've been meaning to try them and just never have.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #14
Phantom

Default Dress Up ???

PSU -- you hit a key word in your last post -- "Dress Up" !!!

Just about every establishment near the Lake is "Casual Dress" during the Summer. I can't think of a place where we didn't feel comfortable showing up with a dress pair of shorts / golf shirt attire for the men for dinner. Remember, most eateries cater to the "boating / vacation" crowd wether they are (in strict definition) "Kid Friendly" or not.

I think most interpret "Kid Friendly" to mean much younger children than you have. A place where there is the ability to "get in & get out in" and if the young ones make a ruckus you don't feel you have to hurry and leave.

With your children being 16 & 11 -- I wouldn't be concerned with any of the fine resturants that are available.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
camp guy

Default Good Restaurants for families

I have a GREAT idea now that I know how old your children are (excuse me, [I]young adults[I]), maybe you could go to the store and buy the fixings for a really great picnic at one of the many state picnic areas. This way, everyone will get exactly what they want--- and get to cook it, too.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote