Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
dpg

Default The Village Kitchen

Just a little thumbs up for the Village Kitchen on rte 25 in Moultonborough. Ate there last week and it was pretty good. Not the biggest or fanciest restaurant in the lakes region but a good meal at a decent price. Their nightly specials (posted on the sign outside) are a great deal and always tasty. If your looking to eat at a five star restaurant this isn't the place for you just a casual little place with the type of food you'd cook at home yourself. Nope, have absolutely no affiliation with the place either!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #2
hazelnut

Thumbs up Best Breakfast

Hands down trhe best, quickest breakfast in the region, IMO.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #3
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut
Hands down trhe best, quickest breakfast in the region, IMO.
Excellent breakfasts except for the wait sometimes. We're there several times a year and have enjoyed the dinners there too. It's a comfy place to eat where you can relax.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Newbiesaukee

Absolutely agree, but I thought everyone knew it. Only controversy is the name. It is the Village Kitchen, but we always call it "country cooking." Must be the sign. Checks or cash only. I like breakfast and lunch the best.
Newbiesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
TomC

Default Anybody else think it could stand to be a little cleaner?

and don't drop anything or it'll roll into the big depression in the floor. The center of that building is sinking...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #6
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee
Absolutely agree, but I thought everyone knew it. Only controversy is the name. It is the Village Kitchen, but we always call it "country cooking." Must be the sign. Checks or cash only. I like breakfast and lunch the best.

You stole the words right out of my mouth. How many times have strangers to the area asked where is the “Country Cooking Restaurant”? I say too many times. I think Bob should make the lettering much bigger for the “Village Kitchen” part of the sign.

How about the 2 egg cheese omelet, a side of bacon and rasin toast, that’s my favorite for breakfast. Turkey dinner, large portion, all white meat, who needs Harts.

It’s like most good restaurant around the Moultonboro area, with the summer crowds; you have your last breakfast just before Memorial Day and then go back Labor Day weekend now that “THEY” have gone home. It’s only 8 out of 52 weeks we have to sacrifice.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
Pepper

Thumbs up Village Kitchen rocks!

Village Kitchen offers, in our opinion, the very best breakfast in the region. Hearty portions, excellent selection, and cooked properly (I'm very fussy - my eggs must be over-medium!) We can't get there nearly as often as we'd like, but you can bet we'll be there as soon as the craziness of the season is over!

Waldo and Pepper rate Village Kitchen two very enthusiastic thumbs up!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:06 AM   #8
Lin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC
and don't drop anything or it'll roll into the big depression in the floor. The center of that building is sinking...
What do you mean by cleaner? Our tables and kitchenware have always been clean. The floor, walls and ceilings leaning each year gives it more character. It's just a great place for a relaxed meal. You can't beat their breakfasts and even though there are lines, they are quick.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Village Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee

You stole the words right out of my mouth. How many times have strangers to the area asked where is the “Country Cooking Restaurant”? I say too many times. I think Bob should make the lettering much bigger for the “Village Kitchen” part of the sign.

How about the 2 egg cheese omelet, a side of bacon and rasin toast, that’s my favorite for breakfast. Turkey dinner, large portion, all white meat, who needs Harts.

It’s like most good restaurant around the Moultonboro area, with the summer crowds; you have your last breakfast just before Memorial Day and then go back Labor Day weekend now that “THEY” have gone home. It’s only 8 out of 52 weeks we have to sacrifice.

WINNOCTURN
Old 08-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #10
dpg

I agree, we always call it Country Cookin' also. I have never found the place to be dirty. I guess I never walk in inspecting a restaurant for this, I go there to eat. Anything out or the ordinary would catch my eye, nothing in this establishment really does. Some people must find something wrong with anything and everything (no, not picking on absolutely anyone in this thread or on this forum for that matter.) Any place can and will have an off day now and then, that's life.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Village Kitchen

Well why don't we just call it by its' local name the "VK"!

WINNOCTURN
Old 08-10-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
ossipeeboater

good breakfast but lunch/dinner is nothing special. Took my wife to dinner there after having eaten there for breakfast at least a dozen times and it was mediocre.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #13
Cristen

Thumbs up The Village Kitchen - Great Breakfast

This place has an awesome breakfast. Love it the morning after a night of drinking!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
CanisLupusArctos

The Village Kitchen is a staple in the northwestern Winni area. My family started going there when it was in the building now occupied by the Center Harbor Diner (1980s.) In winter they had a pot-belly wood stove going in the middle of the room. On those cold winter mornings it was great to sit next to it with Dad and order a Farmer's Breakfast.

When they moved to the present location (late 80s/ early 90s) it was a nice change because of the added space and less wait time. A couple of my high school friends and I used to enjoy sitting in there on snowy winter days and watch the NH-DOT snowplows go by on Rt. 25.

Their specialty has always been breakfast but the lunches and dinners are good enough for those nights when you want to go out to eat for the sake of eating (i.e, no food in the house, your're too tired to cook, etc.) When local squash is in season, that is awesome; you gotta get the squash with your dinner. I believe they still make their own bread, so if you have a choice between pancakes or French toast for breakfast, go for the french toast.

If you want a place to escape the upscale, this is it. A few years ago we entertained some friends from D.C. and they actually chose this place over the upscale - they said it was a welcome vacation from their usual and they loved it. VK feeds plenty of snowmobilers in winter, and bikers in summer... lots of us local people (although we tend to disappear into the crowd in summer).

The food still hasn't changed (a very good thing!) and the irregularities of the building only remind me of the original place. Now if only they'd return the wood stove...
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #15
Nagigator

Default those small touches

I miss the cream in the little bottles on each table for your coffee.I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I always had some there!
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote