Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
Goodsk8s

Thumbs down Hart's Turkey Farm

at least 20 characters

Last edited by Goodsk8s; 11-28-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Goodsk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
RamJet

We noticed the “portion control” also when eating there recently. Nothing like a real Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Harts

The portions have definitely gotten smaller over the years. Their large turkey dinner was so embarrassing when R-Guy ordered it twenty years ago – mmm yummy leftovers. More recent visits ordering the same were considerably smaller. The food is still very good though. My favorite is the haddock dinner. If you like haddock, you’ll love theirs! (Kind of funny going to a turkey farm for fish. )
We used to get our turkey fix at Green Ridge Turkey Farm in Nashua, but they are history now with a Barnes and Noble in their place.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 07-10-2006 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Reply not posting correctly - ???
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
KBoater

Default Rg

RG,
The Winnie moster is a happy soul and would not eat ships.
Reporter of Winnie
Old 07-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking Winni Monster

You’re absolutely right. Winni is a gentle beast. I’m referring to the other area lake monsters. Ossie over in Ossipee and Opie over in Opechee, being twins, get themselves into much mischief. They’ve been very good lately though - mostly because the ships get stuck in their teeth!
I bet they would like the turkey at Harts.
It’s pretty cool that Harts Turkey Farm, owned and operated by the Hart’s family, has been in business for 52 years!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
camp guy

Thumbs up Hart's Turkey Farm Restaurant

Hart's does attract a huge Bike Week crowd, and a huge bus crowd, and a huge day trip crowd, probably because, by and large, they do serve a good meal. In addition to their in-house service, they also do catering. They catered our daughters rehearsal dinner and it was steak and lobster, outdoor picnic/buffet style, and it was wonderful. I have always had a good meal at Hart's, I think you just have to remember where you are.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy
...I think you just have to remember where you are.
What, exactly, do you mean by this statement?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:33 AM   #8
camp guy

Default Hart's Turkey Farm

Well, Pepper, I realize that this statement sounds prejudicially negative, and it certainly isn't meant that way, and I do apologize; however, my intent was to suggest that people have expectations of what their dining experience should be like based upon where they are actually dinning, and it is only fair to measure the results against the reality of where you are dinning. No one ever confused a "Big Mac" with the chef's special at a 5-star restaurant, although both could be excellent, albeit, world's apart. Let me repeat, I am not intending to be negative regarding Hart's. Of course, there are exceptions all over the place which prove me wrong with initial perceptions (wrong in both directions).
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #9
Pepper

Thanks for clearing that up, CampGuy. My initial "read" was quite different from what you actually intended - so I'm really glad I asked!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
psu1978

Unhappy Say it ain't so...

My family will be in the area in August and Hart's was one of our can't miss places to eat. We have eaten there twice in the past and had fabulous "Thanksgiving Dinners" in July. We haven't been in two years...has it really gone that far downhill since then that we should take a pass? Keep in mind that we are a meat and potatoes kind of family (Camp is another of our favorites)...no gourmet food for us.
psu1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile Hart's Still = Good Food

You should definitely go back. The portions have shrunk slightly over the years, but you still leave there happy and full! We are meat and potatoes kind of family too and always enjoy Hart’s as a special treat.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
colt17

as a matter of fact i was on my way to the race this weekend from moultonboro and ordered up 3 gobbler sandwiches to go for the ride with some friends. they were very impressed and there was nothing left but the plastic containers they came in we go more during the winter/fall but always a good feed.
colt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
psu1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
You should definitely go back. The portions have shrunk slightly over the years, but you still leave there happy and full! We are meat and potatoes kind of family too and always enjoy Hart’s as a special treat.
Thanks for the positive feedback. There is just something about eating the complete "Thanksgiving Feast" without having to cook and clean up! We will keep it on our list.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #14
dpg

Camp Guy: Don't be so concerned about "dumping" on the place if it is in fact how you feel. To each his own. No apology necessary.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #15
psu1978

Thumbs up Good advice Rattlesnake Gal! It was great.

We took your advice and went ahead with our plans for a summertime "Thanksgiving Dinner" and I am pleased to say that it was as good as ever. We definitely left full and happy. While it might not be the place for those with a gourmet palate, it definitely is a winner for the meat and potatoes crowd.

STUCK ON FLATLAND FOR NOW...BUT SOMEDAY I WILL CALL WINNIPESAUKEE HOME!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #16
wildwoodfam

Thumbs down Sorry - Harts is no longer on the "list."

Like many long time summer residents - Harts was always on our list - a couple times a summer. I can recall going there with the entire family back in the 70's and 80's! When I was fortunate enough to buy my own place on the lake - I introduced my wife and her fmaily to the experience in the 90's. Most recently - last summer - my family - about 10 of us ventured over to Harts. We were more than disappointed with the service and the portions, and frankly the experience left a bad taste in our mouths. We won't go back.

Specifically - we found the attitude of the hosts - arrogant. A "well if you don't like it leave" - not service oriented and certainly not friendly. We witnessed the negative interactions, not just with my party of 10, but with three other families as well. Perhaps she was havign a bad day - but in truth - in this industry of service - one bad day can ruin you.

There is no reason to go to Harts - when there are so many great restaurants in the region - and some even serve - TURKEY !!

We wont go back, and after having made trips to the lake JUST TO GO TO HARTS since 1970 - that is SAD....sad indeed.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #17
sa meredith

Default Hart's...once a year.

My wife and I have made a habit (I say habit, as opposed to tradition, as we have only been doing it for 4 years) of getting "to-go" food from Hart's on the last weekend of our season (third weekend of October). I must say, I have always really enjoyed it. We really have tried nothing other than the Turkey dinners, and they have been good/very good. I would agree the portions are "nothing to write home about", but quality seems to be there. I would agree with other posters, reguarding the friendliness of the employees. Although I get the food "to -go", I always go there and order from the bar, and manage to slip a cocktail in and some of the 4PM NFL game. Whenever I have spoken to employees there, I would describe their attitudes as less than friendly, and they certainly do not at all give the immpression they are glad you are there. I guess when customers are lined up out the door, you would tend to get that way. And maybe it is just a Sunday afternnoon thing, but each time I go, there is a line out the door.
Lastly, I love the fact that one of the veggie choices is Pickeled Beats. Where else can you get those?
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #18
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Thanksgiving is my favorite meal.

Harts is still one of my favorites. The portions may be smaller but I get the Jumbo turkey dinner and take about half of it home. If you saw me you would know that means the portion was quite large. The wife and I go out of our way 2-3 times a year to go.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #19
Pineedles

Default Portions?

As it was nearly 40 years ago when I last went to Hart's Turkey Farm I can't comment on the portions presently being served. What can be commented on is the fact that it has been a long time since we last tasted their repast. Turkey dinners are turkey dinners! It is a tourist place, and they advertise themselves as such. A mainstayin the Lakes Region. that has survived. I don't object to their advertisements, it seems to be working for them. As for smaller portions, perhaps this is the way that they stay in business. Hurray for small business!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #20
wildwoodfam

Default Arrogant Attitudes not Portions drive people away!

They may still have the lines - but in recent years the arrogance has turned folks away. That "we are good and you are here so why do we need to be service oriented, and friendly - people ALWAYS come" eventually will turn on this "mainstay" just like other mainstays have gone away. When you hear a host say to a family - "There are plenty of other restaurants around here if you don't feel like being patient." you know they have lost their edge on service.

Think about the number of places up here in the lakes region that are no longer here! Harts is just a few short arrogant years from no longer turning the profit - being sold off and then turned into another "Common Man" holding, err, restaurant....that's just my opinion...but it is shared by others I speak with.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #21
sa meredith

Default agree...

Wildwood...
I don't know if you saw my post, but I agree with your thoughts on the attutude of the employees.........and I don't even stay to eat there. I take it "to go". Whenever I have had to ask a question about something, I feel as though I am bothering them. And they act as if they could not care less that you are there.
Did they actually say that to you..."there are plenty of other places to go"????
I would have made a scene to end all scenes.
And followed it up with a ten person "chew and screw".
Old 07-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #22
MaidenCove07

Default Think I got lucky...

....I went at the tail end of last season and had a great waitress - she said she'd been there 12 years and I would call her a professional server. I never had to wait for a soda refill and she checked on us enough for me to get more butter before my potatoes wouldn't melt it.
The food was better than I remembered (even the carrot relish) and I left with a doggie bag (lemme tell ya - I can pack it away when I wanna).

I'm sure the summer staff isn't nearly as careful or caring as the old-timers who work there year round and it's really too bad, because they (the part-time seasonal staff) have ruined the experience for me at many stores and restaurants. At least at a restaurant, I can repay their rudeness with a penny tip, which I have no hesitation to leave. But it's the stores that kill me - if you need their products you have to put up or travel elsewhere which in some cases can be incredibly inconvenient....there again, a topic for another forum...must be on a tangent today

Anyway, back on topic - for those that can, give the place a try in the off season and see if it makes a difference. I also find writing a letter to the owner/manager can be effective in at least getting you a gift certificate for another try. I've gotten a few of those in the past.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #23
Irish mist

The Hart's of the 70s & 80s no longer exists. The size of the meals are shurnk by at least half ! The staff is rude & crude. It's really a shame.......and quite a shock from back in the day when it was fun going there.
________
Vapormatic

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #24
jean4

Default Breakfast Buffet

Has anyone been there for the breakfast buffet on Sundays? I was thinking about trying it with my children?
jean4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #25
Hermit Cover

Thumbs down Hart's...Hart'sburn!

I tried the breakfast buffet last month and the ONLY good part of the experience was that fact that one can really fill up by making multiple trips to the selection offered...get all the rubber scrambled eggs and overdone bacon one's gut can hold.....the food was horrible. Give the kids a treat and take them to Sunshine and Pa's or Donna Jeans....the breakfast buffet at Hart's is a huge disappointment...IMHO.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:46 AM   #26
Mink Islander

Default Or George's!!!

Best breakfast in Meredith!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #27
sa meredith

Default breakfast...

I second the thought on "George's". Best breakfast on the lake, I believe. (although I cannot claim to have eaten breakfast at every restaurant on the lake...that would take a while).
For a breakfast buffet (actually brunch) if that is what you want, you have to try Walter's Basin (Sunday only) over on Squam Lake. What a view, and the food is always fresh, with many selections. Very surprised at the $9.95 price tag. Very cheap for what you get. It really is a "must try".
Old 08-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #28
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I for one,don't buy that explanation,Pepper.....he is backpedaling because you called him out.That was an insulting remark and I think most of us know exactly what he meant.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #29
sa meredith

Default whoops

Not looking to beat a dead horse, with such an old thread ...but, as I stated earlier here (post #18) we get dinner at Hart's once a year, on our last weekend (always "to go"). Long story short, went last Sunday after Sox game, order was wrong (did not know this until I got back home), two items missing, SMALL, SMALL portions, and when I called, they were less than interested. (too bad, because I really do like the food). I can no longer give them any of my money...although I know it does not matter, as the place seems to be packed every time I go by.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #30
NavGirl316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander
Best breakfast in Meredith!
I have to agree George's is probably the best breakfast in Meredith...you just need to get there early enough to avoid the long lines out front!....although it is worth the wait
NavGirl316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #31
CanisLupusArctos

Default comment needed for magazine article

I'm writing a magazine article on Harts (historical perspective, 700-900 words) and looking for anyone who's willing to comment... Deadline is in 24 hours.

I'm looking for your memories of Harts that show *any* of the following:

- Its place in the community... noteable guests, events, etc.
- Struggles they faced and how they succeeded
- Your (positive) experiences as a guest at Harts over the years

Were you around the Lakes Region *before* there was Harts? If so, what was the "must-visit" restaurant that Harts replaced? Do you have memories of Hart's when it was just starting up?

IMPORTANT: In order to quote you, I will need your real name (first & last) and your place of residence (city/state). You can respond to my questions in this thread and then send me a PM with the identity you'd like to use in print. If you have a pen name or stage name that you'd prefer, those are welcome too.

This is for New Hampshire ToDo Magazine; and I'm working as a freelancer.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #32
Silver Duck

Default A Family Must!

CLA

Hart's is a must-visit at least once a month from ice out through the end of October for the Admiral and I. Her memories of the place go back to when it actually was a turkey farm!

When my father (he'll be 90 in May) comes up to visit us at the lake, it's a definite must for him, as well; no visit would be complete for him without getting a jumbo turkey leg.

It's also a must-do for my older son and his family when they're up for a visit. One of my favorite memories is the time that my grand daughter Paige (then about 3 and a half) stood up on her chair as we were getting ready to leave and loudly said "good bye, everybody", and was answered by all present.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:38 AM   #33
nj2nh

I can't get through a summer without at least one trip to Hart's. The lake just isn't the lake without it. It is fast and friendly. The food is what I would hope my mom would make. Not haute cuisine, but it isn't intended to be. Thanksgiving everyday is the point and it makes it's point quite well. My boys love it and they hate everything!

So, I can't agree with the people who have given up on Hart's. On any given day, the place is packed. All those people can't be wrong.