Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-19-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
dpg

Default The Common Man(s)

This weekend flipping through the channels I came upon the Phantom Gourmet Discussing the Common Man restaurants. I'm not sure which one they visited, I missed that. Had an overall good rating for them, he/she (??) seemed to enjoy them. I've never been, listening to the show I would give them a try.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Living in a cave ;)

Living in a cave
It would be nearly impossible to not eat at one of the Common Man Family of restaurants if you live or visit the Lakes Region. There are many restaurants that they own and operate.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

It looked like the Ashland location to me....which is actually pretty nice. It's in an old barn-type building. The show was about chain restaurants. Within the category of chain restaurants (Bennigan's, Chili's, Uno's etc.) they thought the Common Man chain was pretty good.

CLICK for WEBPAGE
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #4
jkjoshuatree

Wink Ashland Common Man

I've been to a few of them but this one is my favorites.

Great food, love the atmosphere (very New-Englandy...if that's even a word), and the bar upstairs is in my top three favorite bars I've been to (the Quays in Galway and Hogs Breath in Carmel, California are the only other two I like more).

If you're going to try a Common Man restaurant, I suggest this one. Great country store across the street too.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
MaidenCove07

Default Too much is more than enough

<<>>

You got a point - they've bought out or taken over every place they can get their paws on.
I am huge opponent of that kind of business practice and the overall homogenization of the retail and restaurant landscape (a la Wal-Mart putting every other little guy competitor out of business) and I think Common Man has made many of the places they've taken over worse instead of better.
Example - Town Docks in Meredith and Tilton Diner - their prices are too high and the quality is poor compared to the great chow the old owners used to offer.
Their original locations are exceptional, though still pricey. "The Camp" at Mills Falls is incredible, but $16 for Pot Roast is crazy. Were it not for a gift card, I'd never have even bothered and I won't spend my own money there...unfortunately, too many people do so Common Man will continue to proliferate like mill foil around our lake.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Old Hubbard Rd

Default I don't think so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaidenCove07
<<>>

You got a point - they've bought out or taken over every place they can get their paws on.
I am huge opponent of that kind of business practice and the overall homogenization of the retail and restaurant landscape (a la Wal-Mart putting every other little guy competitor out of business) and I think Common Man has made many of the places they've taken over worse instead of better.
Example - Town Docks in Meredith and Tilton Diner - their prices are too high and the quality is poor compared to the great chow the old owners used to offer.
Their original locations are exceptional, though still pricey. "The Camp" at Mills Falls is incredible, but $16 for Pot Roast is crazy. Were it not for a gift card, I'd never have even bothered and I won't spend my own money there...unfortunately, too many people do so Common Man will continue to proliferate like mill foil around our lake.
The Common Man never buys another restaurant. It always starts them from scratch. The Docks was a ice cream place. It's now a full restaurant.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
mets3007

I have been to Town Dox in Meredith a few times always crowded mediocore food but they do let you use the bathroom even if you do not buy anything there and are nice about it. The view is nice but there are many places that have better lunches ( Sawyer's, Johns Meat Market, and Paugus Diner to name a few).
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd
The Common Man never buys another restaurant. It always starts them from scratch. The Docks was a ice cream place. It's now a full restaurant.
Are you sure about that OHR? I could have sworn the Tilton Dinner was bought by them, not opened originally by them. I could be wrong though.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
Irish mist

The Common Man did indeed buy the Tilton diner which was in business for years & years so OHR was wrong.
________
Honda Cbr Series History

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
Old Hubbard Rd

Default No disrespect but...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist
The Common Man did indeed buy the Tilton diner which was in business for years & years so OHR was wrong.
OHR is rarely wrong!!!
In December of 1992, after much negotiating, Alex convinced the Pike Family to sell the parking lot adjacent to their company headquarters just
off exit 20 of I-93 in Tilton. He knew this would be the perfect spot to park the 1952 steel diner that he’d bought several years before. He and a
dedicated staff opened the Tilt’n Diner the following spring.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Irish mist

Lol, you got us on that one
________
Chevrolet kingswood estate specifications

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #12
Weirs guy

Touche`. I guess I never knew (or most likely drank those brain cells off years ago) the C'man name was attached back then.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #13
MaidenCove07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hubbard Rd
Nah the Docks was a restaurant with an ice cream stand.....they had amazing FRESH onion rings and French fries, great seafood and awesome comfort food dishes too. The C'Man took over and made it....well, common.

C'Man also took over the Hannah Jack Tavern in Merrimack, another local establishment and made it...well, common.... They don't start form scratch all the time....their menus and frozen foods are proof of that.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:31 PM   #14
kechefs

Default ohr common man lover

Seems like ohr is a common man lover. Me not so much. I've always found their food to be very uninspired and boderline inedible. No value in bad food. Their cooks seem to have no room to blossom. One of the worst dining experiences I've had since moving to the Lakes region 12 years ago occured at the Boathouse Grill and the second worst experience happened at Lago.Until they give the Chefs some lattitude Alex can keep pretending he knows how to cook.
kechefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default C'man from the beginning........

I was commuting between Plymouth State and Laconia when Alex started his business in Ashland. Then, he was giving the college crowds discounts and his food was great. I have to admit I was more interested in the lounge upstairs. Great place for comaderie.
Since then, I notice Alex's service and food has gone downhill. The more he expands, the less the quality.
Now, I frequent Scott two establishment. (Canoe and O). It reminds me of what the Common Man was all about. Quality.