Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
beancover

Default Fishmonger in the area?

Where do you buy fresh fish? I live in the Moultonborough/Center Harbor area and I used to buy my fish and seafood from a truck parked in Meredith. He used to come every Friday from Maine and he had fresh fish, smoked fish, chowder and mussels. He retired a couple of years ago and I've been lost ever since. Jackson Star has fish but more often than not it is disappointing. Any suggestions?
beancover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancover
Where do you buy fresh fish? I live in the Moultonborough/Center Harbor area and I used to buy my fish and seafood from a truck parked in Meredith. He used to come every Friday from Maine and he had fresh fish, smoked fish, chowder and mussels. He retired a couple of years ago and I've been lost ever since. Jackson Star has fish but more often than not it is disappointing. Any suggestions?
Captain Cliff took over where that guy left off. He is in the Etcetera Shop parking lot all day, 3 out of four Thursdays of the month. Nice guy give him a shot you'll likely be happy. I know I have been.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
Newbiesaukee

Capt. Bart's is on 109 in Moultonborough, see previous thread
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
beancover

Default Fiswhmonger

Thanks for the thread on Capt Bart's. It sounds like just what I am looking for. Do you know what his hours are, on Wed thru Sun? I'd love to get over there today.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #5
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Capt Barts Hours

Captain Barts Seafood Market is open

Wednesday from 4 PM to 6 PM
Thursday from Noon to 5 PM
Friday from 4 Pm to 6 PM
Saturday from Noon to 5 Pm
Sunday from Noon to 3 PM.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Don't mean to bring ants to the picnic.........but most seafood comes from the same sources and goes to the wholesalers who distribute to the stores,restaurants and stands.When swordfish is plentiful and cheap (as it was last week) everyone has it.A lot of seafood is farm raised such as salmon and shrimp.I know it seems nice to buy off a funky little truck but much of his product is the same thing that the supermarkets have.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Newbiesaukee

And some "flash frozen" fish is fresher and better than you can get "fresh"
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Capt Bart's is Fresh

Samiam
You couldn't be further from the truth when it comes to Captain Bart's. You have never seen one of those wholesale trucks there. His fish is delivered three days a week by family members who come up on Thursday, Friday and Sunday to deliver form Boston, Gloucester, Marblehead or Portsmouth. The other days the truck goes either to Portland or Portsmouth to pick-up from the docks.
There are days the truck has to wait for the boats to come in. That's why he does not open until 4 PM. He can't be back in time to open at noon.
You could say Captain Bart's is the wholesaler for all the peple he sells to.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

You may be right NVT....I have never been there and was referring to the truck at the Etc. parking lot in Meredith where I've bought fish that was no better than that at Star Mkt.I will definately give Barts a try.Although I do stand by my statement that many items are now farm raised and are shipped to the wholesalers.Newbiesaukee is right also about frozen at sea being better than some fresh.Very few boats are "day" boats and have to ice down their ctach for several days.Then it goes to be processed,then to the wholesalers and finally to the stores and restaurants.....could be 5 or 6 days old when you get it.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Couple of Days is Good

A couple of days for a fish being iced is good. Even if you catch a fish today, it is best to let it sit a day or two on ice or in the fridge before you filet it. Guess it adds to the flavor. The key to a fresh fish is when was it fileted?
I do not disagree the Salmon is farm raised, other than that, the items available from the boats in this area are fresh.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
beancover

Default Fishmonger

I went to Captain Bart's on Sunday and bought lobster, swordfish and homemade seafood chowder. It was all delicious and fresh, not trucked in like the supermarkets. (The salmon is farmed) It is a family run business and when I was there, the Capt, his son and his wife were all there. Thanks for the tip. I will definately be back for all my fish needs.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

We cooked a little surf and turf for Saturday night- Ribeyes from Skelley's (very good) and hard shell 2 pounders from Bart's. The lobsters were excellent!

The crabcakes are good, too!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote