Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-03-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
kolleen

Default Lemon Grass is the Best in the Lakes Region

My Son is here with me this week, and he says that he and his new wife enjoyed his birthday the first of November at Lemon Grass, and it was fanastic.

Best atmosphere, best drinks, best service and best food of all, up there, EVER!!!

So,
when we are there next Fall we will for sure go there for a celebration.

This from my kid who has eaten all over the world.

Well, Only Europe......and California......

But.....he was SO hyped.

Guess it must be great.

Can't wait to be there after the "weather....." or as come folks call it....the wonderful time of the year.'
kolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
beaner

Default Lemongrass: HIGHLY overrated

We made our first visit to Lemongrass over the MLK weekend. The food was disappointing (a simple grilled salmon was overcooked & dried out), and the servers appeared to be high school-aged, with little to no experience. We went there for a special occasion and left wondering why everyone raved about it. We've had consistently better pan-Asian food for much less money at East of Suez.

So, what IS the best restaurant in the Lakes Region? Well.....it's a tiny place, and we'd like to continue to be able to get a table there without having to make a reservation a week ahead of time. So, all I can say is that it's definitely NOT Lemongrass.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
RGA645

The reason everyone is falling all over themselves about Lemon Grass is because it is owned by Mike Love and he has been anointed king of all cooks in NH, but even Babe Ruth struck out sometimes I'd give it another try.
RGA645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
phoenix

we ate lunch there this past summer and it was real good but this is a unique menu so i wouldn't see going there regularily. Still think Kevin's was best new restaurant this year
Old 01-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Kevin's was very expensive and JUST ok

My family ate at Kevin’s this past fall. Business did not look all that great. The food was just ok. It was expensive for it's cafeteria/fast food atmosphere. The family vote that we would most likely not return. We still love the Woodshed, Church Landing, Lago's, The Camp, Common Man, Rossi’s Italian Ristorante & Willows. I'm sure there are others we enjoy just wanted to put a quick list together.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Newbiesaukee

Default It depends....

We ate at Lemongrass many times last season and believe it has the most creative, consistently excellent food in the area. The waitstaff is very well trained and consistently knowledgeable. I did not know anything about Mike Love before eating in the restaurant so I was not overwhelmed by the "King" status. It is expensive (although worth it )and many folks may not care for the type of food, but that is another issue.

Kevin's, where we also frequently ate, is a different situation. There is no doubt the surroundings could be fancier ( but he does serve breakfast, lunch and dinner). It is expensive if your expectation is for a beautiful restaurant for a special event; BUT Kevin is an excellent, accomplished chef who works unbelievably hard. The food is top quality, the service is enthusiastic if not always totally polished. You go for the food, not the ambience.

Canoe has very good food, but on too many occasions, it was hit or miss with respect to either the food or the service.

If we take out-of- town company, the Woodshed is our "go-to" spot. The surroundings are lovely, food good and the service professional.

Finally, the Corner House has a great variety ( from chicken wings to interesting dinner entrees) and is both consistent and a good value.

If there is a point, it is that you cannot directly compare Kevins and Lemongrass or even the Woodshed. The best? The answer is ....it depends on what you are looking for.

I have no association with anyone in the food industry, but we do eat out a lot.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
jkjoshuatree

Default So True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGA645
The reason everyone is falling all over themselves about Lemon Grass is because it is owned by Mike Love and he has been anointed king of all cooks in NH, but even Babe Ruth struck out sometimes I'd give it another try.

Babe Ruth held a strike-out record for many years...he may even still hold it.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #8
tomboymom

I second your opinion of Lemongrass. Just terrific. We had not eaten much sushi/sashimi prior to trying it there, and now we can't live without it. I only regret that the sake cured salmon is no longer on the regular menu (but we do still see it as a special). Hubby is particularly fond of the Tune Martini. We prefer to nosh on 4-5 appetizers and skip the entrees, although we NEVER skip dessert!
tomboymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101
...Donna Love does have a quaint little pastry shop located in Moultonboro. ....
For us tourists, what is it called and how do I find it?? Pleeeeeeeeease ??
Old 01-26-2007, 03:14 PM   #10
jniff101

Her shop is called Love Bites Pastry Shop and is located on Ossipee Moutain Road in Moultonboro. I think they are open everyday but monday and tuesday, but don't quote me on that. Its really close to the woodshed! you should try calling for directions and hours. 476-5722
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #11
RI Swamp Yankee

Thanks jniff101, we will look it up next trip up there.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
donnamatrix

Default Love Bites

Donna Love is terrific. All her treats are superb. I ordered a cake two years ago for my sister's 50th, which we took to MA for the party. The cake was so spectacular that, on Saturday AND Sunday mornings, my sister queried everyone as to what they'd like for breakfast. The response each day was WE WANT THE CAKE. Absolutely yummy.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Mike Love Leaving?

Heard Mike Love was leaving Lemon Grass, Any truth to it?
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up Donna's Love Bites

We stopped into Love Bites after having one of Donna's deserts at the Canoe. She was very nice and her deserts all looked fantastic! We opted for what we enjoyed after lunch, which was the Almond Joy Torte. It was amazing!!!
From the sounds of things, Mike and Donna Love are a wonderful husband/wife team.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:26 PM   #15
RGA645

Default Lemongrass Loveless

When did Mike Love leave Lemongrass and has anyone noticed a difference in the food or service.
RGA645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #16
skisox24

Default Love To Panama

Not sure if the Loves have left yet, but we do know that Mike is exploring the idea of developing a restaurant/hotel in Panama. He told us that he will be spending a month in that country with that idea in mind. He apparently has nothing firm other than a desire to follow up on this dream. The last time we visited Lemon Grass two weeks ago, Mike was in his usual place directing in the kitchen. He does have a very competent staff, but it will be interesting to see if the overall fine food and service experience diminishes with his absence. We will let everyone know next time we visit.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #17
PennyPenny

Default The most recent "news" I heard

His plans are on hold for Panama as he is going to have hip replacement surgery.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #18
donnamatrix

Default Love's to Panama

Actually, Mike needs both hips replaced so I don't think he's taking off yet. However, the plan was always to start up Lemon Grass and then move on. Donna has already sold LoveBites and the recipes... suspect the little shop at their house might be gone, but don't know. Wish them all the best, and quick recovery from what is certainly heavy duty surgery.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote