Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
_C_H_R_I_S_

Default Drive Carefully Out On The Lakes

I was watching WMUR news and there were 4 incidents on NH lakes this weekend...One guy from Derry lost his life.

I can not believe how much open water is around this time of year and it keeps getting worse and worse as each day passes.

Today, I saw a bobhouse starting to go in near Varney Point...The combination of a bubbler and the sun reflecting down the sides has taken its toll on the ice. If any of you have a bobhouse in the surrounding area of Gilford Beach and can not check it each day, let me know and I would be happy to check it out for you and let you know the conditions.

I took a ride over to Governors Island this morning to check out the truck that went through. I always see pictures and videos online of the removal process but it is quite impressive to see in person...Dive Winnipesaukee did a great job and made it look easy! I took some pictures and a short video and posted them on my email account (Click the folders until the pictures appear). If you have any problems, please let me know - Thanks!

http://cid-a66fc8796fa3a4bf.skydrive...SAUKEE%20FORUM
_C_H_R_I_S_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Thanks for posting those pictures....pix r better than words.....and the truck looks to be about a 2004 white Chevy silverado or sierra 1500 xtra cab 4-wheel drive w/ a matching fiberglass cap, in water of about six feet, deep enough so just about one inch of cap was above water. Understand the two 52 year old guys were returning from Welch Island to a house on Governor's Island.....and they suffered minor abrasions and bruises and cold.

Question: In this instance, one was transported by a Laconia ambulance, and the other was transported by a Gilford ambulance. What would you guess is the price the municipality bills out to either the individual or their insurance company for ambulance transportation to LRG-Hospital in nearby Laconia? .....$250.....$500.....$750......$1000 ?

In a case like this with just minor scrapes and bruise and cold, probably I would say no -thankyou and call a taxi cab!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Done for the Winter

The ice is getting that milky "bad" ice look early this year. I am still walking it with the dog but no more driving on it for us this winter.

Please be safe out there! Drive with your windows open and if you do start going down try to shut your engine off- it may save your motor from hydro-locking (I know this may be the last thing on your mind when your ride is sinking!).
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Here's a related item in today's Feb 22 www.citizen.com; yesterday, a Ford Explorer w/ two Massachusetts guys broke thru about 5" of ice into 100' depth of Newfound Lake, at Wellington State Park & Bell Island, prompting the local volunteer fire dept to cancel their big annual fire dept-fund raiser, ice fishing derby, over ice safety concerns.

Removing a vehicle in 100' depth, thru the ice, is very problematic, and raises the question on how the state will administer the non-removal fine of $500/day that is supposed to engage after 48-hours.

This could be a job for Super Man?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-22-2010 at 07:28 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
Lakegeezer

I'm sorry I did not wait till the deadline to put in my guess for the ice-out contest. If I was making the prediction today, it would be different. There is a protruding rock formation in the water nearby where the melting starts each spring. Once the plume of open water extends 100 feet, it is usually three weeks till ice-out. It has reached that point. Having iceout three weeks from today, on March 15'th, would beat the previous record by two weeks, so is unlikely. We are in for a snowy pattern which will protect the ice from the strong spring sun, but still, iceout is looking to be unusually early this year.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
corollaman

A car should not be out on the ice, let alone a truck! you don't know where the weak spots are! I think someone would have to be out of their mind for bringing a vehicle out there.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
dpg

Won't open for me, not sure about anyone else.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Won't open for me, not sure about anyone else.
Same here; the pictures/video wouldn't open for me, either.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
_C_H_R_I_S_

I know it was working last night so I looked into it and tried to upload the photos to a new folder and they still showed to be a Red X. I think the problem is on the email servers end or possibly the bandwidth has been reached. I put the pictures on Photobucket just now - Hopefully this will last longer.

http://s420.photobucket.com/albums/p...CE%2002-21-10/
Old 02-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
topwater

For what it is worth, I did open up the last site (photobucket) and started to look at the pictures, and all of a sudden my computer started to recieve quite a few major viruses, and my anti spyware kicked on and warned me about these FATAL VIRUSES. Not being a computer guru, I called my son the expert, and he had me shut the computer down ASAP. Once I re-booted, all was well. I did see the first 3 pictures, and this happened on the 4th picture. Maybe serious, maybe nothing, but I thought I Should tell you my experinces with these pictures.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
For what it is worth, I did open up the last site (photobucket) and started to look at the pictures, and all of a sudden my computer started to recieve quite a few major viruses, and my anti spyware kicked on and warned me about these FATAL VIRUSES. Not being a computer guru, I called my son the expert, and he had me shut the computer down ASAP. Once I re-booted, all was well. I did see the first 3 pictures, and this happened on the 4th picture. Maybe serious, maybe nothing, but I thought I Should tell you my experinces with these pictures.
Had the same thing happen to me as well, with a warning from AVG. I loooked at the pictures anyhow and then went and did a Full Computer Scan both with AVG, and Spybot S&D. Nothing was found. After that I did a run with CCleaner to remove cookies, temp internet files, etc. So far so good. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #12
martbri7

Default Don't open that link......

Had the same as the above two...please don't open the link...it seems to have a trojan or something like that....I shut my PC down also and have had no problems but what I know with Trojan worms they can be embedded.. anybody have a free way to find out? I also noticed it wasn't my dsesktop that popped up it just looked like it and a pop up wanting me to save a file.
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Coolbreeze

My mother -in-law was asking to go out in her escalade, I told her to go right ahead that it was safe. I also told her that it was safe to drive on the grey spots on the ice. It sure is going to be quiet when she is gone...
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
_C_H_R_I_S_

I just scanned all of my photos that I put on photobucket and there was no virus in them. I know some programs find false positive viruses which may be what is happening here with something else that is in the site...I PROMISE the photos are clean - I would not do that to somebody.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #15
martbri7

Default I have no problems with my pc

I have no problems with my pc I just wanted to make sure nothing happened it was really weird one second I'm looking at a white truck...next thing this huge mess appears talking about viruses...I believe you in no viruses but I just saw the last two posts and had to comment.
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #16
eillac@dow

Smile

C.H.R.I.S. I am sure what you posted was clean, but I think it is PhotoBucket.

I looked at all the photo's with no problem at all. BUT after reading these past few posts, I remembered some other pictures that my nephew had sent me and they were from PhotoBucket and when I viewed them all hell broke loose. That computer that I used to view them is now in for service being cleaned.

Again, when I viewed C.H.R.I.S.'s , I had no issues, but I have had problems with Photobucket in the past. So heed the warning.

Now back to C.H.R.I.S.'s original reason for posting....be careful out there. Don't make stupid choices. It ain't worth it.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default quick off topic thought

We can all get hit with trojans, viruses, malware, etc. from a variety of sites, not just photobucket, but MySpace, Facebook, and a host of other reputable sites. Fortunately, having a good up-to-date internet security package on your computer will help to keep these items from actually getting into our computers. As posters, we all do everything we can to make sure that our postings are clean. It is others that look for a way to mess up a few million computers.
Now back to Chris's excellent thread. Great pics.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
DailyWolfeboro

Great photos. These are the guys from Dive Winnipesaukee that are doing the recovery.

As you can see, they do a good job getting the truck out right-side up!
DailyWolfeboro is offline   Reply With Quote