Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
jeffk

Default Dehumidification and air filtration installers

I am looking to get a dehumidifier and air cleaning unit installed, mostly for the basement but possibly for the house as well. I have tried using a stand alone dehumidifier but it keeps erroring off because the humidity/temperature is too low. Unfortunately, it is still humid enough to cause mustiness. The unit works OK in the higher humidity & temperatures of summer but not reliably in the spring or fall.

I believe the installed units are more capable of dealing with this problem, automatically resetting if conditions are not OK. I have also realized that while I have a window air conditioner that keeps the house comfortable in summer, I am mostly using it to lower humidity, not cool. I have been opening the basement door and placing fans to circulate air and allowing the dehumidifier in the basement get rid of some of the humidity in the house and it works so-so. Putting a dehumidifier in the house would drive up the temperature (not a problem in the basement). Further, I have low grade allergies and think I would be more comfortable if the air was filtered.

I want to talk with a reliable HVAC installer to get an idea of options and costs. Suggestions?

Thanks!
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I am looking to get a dehumidifier and air cleaning unit installed, mostly for the basement but possibly for the house as well. I have tried using a stand alone dehumidifier but it keeps erroring off because the humidity/temperature is too low. Unfortunately, it is still humid enough to cause mustiness. The unit works OK in the higher humidity & temperatures of summer but not reliably in the spring or fall.

I believe the installed units are more capable of dealing with this problem, automatically resetting if conditions are not OK. I have also realized that while I have a window air conditioner that keeps the house comfortable in summer, I am mostly using it to lower humidity, not cool. I have been opening the basement door and placing fans to circulate air and allowing the dehumidifier in the basement get rid of some of the humidity in the house and it works so-so. Putting a dehumidifier in the house would drive up the temperature (not a problem in the basement). Further, I have low grade allergies and think I would be more comfortable if the air was filtered.

I want to talk with a reliable HVAC installer to get an idea of options and costs. Suggestions?

Thanks!
I have a mini spilt with a dehumidifier in the kitchen and living space of my spilt style home. It does a wonderful job keep the humidity down.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:03 PM   #3
garysanfran

I highly recommend Dan Puckett HVAC out of Gilford.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
DickR

A good part of the humidity in the basement and the resulting mustiness can be due to ground moisture diffusing through the concrete. The ground temperature is below the air dew point much of the year, resulting also in absorption of moisture onto the wall and slab surfaces. Uninsulated basement walls also can be a huge parasitic heat loss during heating season. If the walls have been insulated with framing and fiberglass batts, you might think about tearing that out and doing it right, using rigid foam board up against the walls, with sheetrock over that for thermal and ignition protection. First you would want to be sure leakage of ground water through cracks has been fixed. You also could seal the slab using something like Drylok; that also could be used on the walls before insulating. Some sound advice on insulating a basement can be found here: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...-basement-wall
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #5
NH.Solar

My sister had Austin Maher (AMHVAC 476-8933) install a minisplit in her basement the year after we installed her solar system. Specifically it was put in to control the humidity in the basement during the summer months, but now they find that they run it nearly year round.
Since the installation, a wood working shop, their exercise equipment, and Bode the happy faced setter all have taken up residence there.
Nancy and Doug enjoy having the extra warmed space for their daily exercising and hobbies ...and Bode their very pampered Lewellen field dog enjoys looking out over the field for squirrellies while his fuzzy butt is still warm and dry inside the basement doggie door.

Last edited by NH.Solar; 01-22-2021 at 02:17 PM.
NH.Solar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links