Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2022, 03:12 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Used car recommendations - Toyota-Hyundai-Kia?

I'm contemplating upgrading my current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 100k miles,
while the car still has some value,

I'm looking to upgrade to a 2-3 yr old car, with 20-45k miles. Current Subaru was a 'lease-off' car, and may go down that road again.

May not purchase another Subaru, only because I want to go to another brand.
Looking at Toyota Rav4, Hyundai Sante Fe, and Kia Sorrento

Would like to hear feed-back from current owners of these cars.

Also, would like Dealer recommendations for Toyota, Hyundai, Kia

Thanks !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 08:58 PM   #2
TheTimeTraveler

Those are all excellent potential selections. Don't forget to add the Honda CRV to that list.....

Best of luck.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:26 PM   #3
John Mercier

I've owned Hyundai since 2006, but always an Accent... and always new.

I know they have five year bumper-to-bumper transferable warranty for used vehicle... but I have never had to have warranty work done on either of them. When Irwin services the vehicle, I get a notice from Hyundai with a feedback questionnaire.

Not sure if any of that helps.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
bigdog (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 05:58 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Nissan and Mazda

Don't forget these brands. Due to business reasons, I rent all these vehicles. All fine motor cars. Of all the cars driven, the Mazda appears to be sportier in handling and the interior very tasteful. Although I prefer the 4 doors over the SUVs because of efficiency and handling the SUVs have more room. The reason I prefer a wagon configuration for my personal vehicle. To each his or her own.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:48 AM   #5
8gv

Before trading it in, I suggest that you consider selling your car to CarMax or another of the buying services.

I was amazed at how much they gave me on my last two.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2022, 08:00 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Toyota Corolla

My 2010 Toyota Corolla just turned 190,000 miles. No major repairs. Oil changes every 5k. Recently, dropped that interval to 3.5k. Still rides and runs great.

Dave
Old 04-14-2022, 08:22 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

We have had very good service from our Toyota vehicles. My wife gave up on Subaru many years ago after head gasket failures. She loves her Toyota RAV4.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I'm contemplating upgrading my current car: 2011 Subaru Outback 100k miles,
while the car still has some value,
I'm driving a 2014 Crosstrek with 114-k miles that I bought last August with 96-k miles from NuCar Plymouth Ford for $13,000 (trade-in Corolla & Element) plus $525-dealer prep. So far the only service has been a trailer hitch and lights hook-up install that cost $525 at New World Auto, Plymouth. It now sounds like sometimes the front brakes warning sound alert strip is starting to sound-up ...... growl! ..... so's I will probably take it back to New World for front brakes.

I am definitely thinking I will drive it to 225-k miles or longer. ...... like maybe, much longer ...... think hopefully? It has a 5-speed manual.

For about $46.11 Walmart-Plymouth will do a Castrol Edge oil and filter change, and tire rotation for ten dollars. Is definitely best to get there at 6:45-am, 7-days/week, and wait, first-in-line for them to unlock the door at 7-am.

Did you know that Belknap Subaru offers a scheduled 21-point, written, FREE inspection that looks at the brakes.

Hey bigdog, so who do you use or even maybe LIKE to use for servicing your 2011 Outback if you needed front brake service, this week?

For now I just TOTALLY avoid using my worn out brakes, and go to down-shifting ........ ha-ha-ha! ...... try that with an automatic ..... ha-ha-ha! ....
Old 04-14-2022, 08:42 AM   #9
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We have had very good service from our Toyota vehicles. My wife gave up on Subaru many years ago after head gasket failures. She loves her Toyota RAV4.

Alan
Thanks Slickcraft..... The Subi just turned over 100k, and I was told by my mechanic, that around this mileage, expect 'head gaskets' need to be replaced.
This also is indicated by Subaru dealer.

Car has been good 'so far', but I think I want to trade it, before any serious issues begin. Also was told, that the 'timing belt' to be replaced at this mileage.
The 'water pump' should also be replaced at the same time, since this is all connected together.

Thanks again !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:57 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Quote:
Thanks Slickcraft..... The Subi just turned over 100k, and I was told by my mechanic, that around this mileage, expect 'head gaskets' need to be replaced.
This also is indicated by Subaru dealer.

Car has been good 'so far', but I think I want to trade it, before any serious issues begin. Also was told, that the 'timing belt' to be replaced at this mileage.
The 'water pump' should also be replaced at the same time, since this is all connected together.

Thanks again !
That's a lot of hooeey-balony!

The leaky Subaru head gaskets were in the earlier 2005 or so, years. For a 2011 the head gasket is good-to-go, basically forever.

The timing "belt" is a timing chain and never needs replacing.

For the water pump ...... just forgetaboutit ..... no worries.

For $100 you can get Subaru road service for one year, and drive it until it breaks down, will not go, and get it trucked in to your choice repair to repair it.

Or, New World Auto on the north end of Main St in Plymouth has their own tow truck so's just phone New World ...... helloooooo!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-14-2022 at 09:36 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:02 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

The leaky Subaru head gaskets were in the earlier 2005 or so, years. For a 2011 the head gasket is good-to-go, basically forever.

For $100 you can get Subaru road service for one year, and drive it until it breaks down, will not go, and get it trucked in to your choice repair to repair it.

Or, New World Auto on the north end of Main St in Plymouth has their own tow truck so's just phone New World ...... helloooooo!
I have to agree with FLL. The daughter has a 2010 Outback with 225K on the clock. Other than normal maintenance, wear, and tear. She never had anything major done. Subbies are much more reliable than in the past.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #12
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

It was a 2009 Forester that the head gaskets went on in 2016. Also the drive shaft had to be replaced as the U joint failed. Overall very expensive on a Sub as the engine has to be pulled. That was no baloney unless $1,700 is pocket change to you.

In 2016 a new design head gasket had been in place a few years but not many Subs had 100K miles on that design yet. So the fix was just a promise at that point. Time to move on.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #13
8gv

$1,700 in unexpected repair cost is not trivial.

The decision to repair or replace is heavily influenced by current sky high used car prices and a potential long wait for a new one.

If financing, it doesn't take many of today's car payments to get to $1,700.

My Subarus have been good to me.

After the warranty is up they go to my daughter and sons.

So far they have three of them well over 100k miles with no significant expenses.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 02:11 PM   #14
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
It was a 2009 Forester that the head gaskets went on in 2016. Also the drive shaft had to be replaced as the U joint failed. Overall very expensive on a Sub as the engine has to be pulled. That was no baloney unless $1,700 is pocket change to you. In 2016 a new design head gasket had been in place a few years but not many Subs had 100K miles on that design yet. So the fix was just a promise at that point. Time to move on. Alan
I agree with you. For me personally, Subaru permanently tarnished its reputation with its failure to correct the head gasket problem much earlier. I did the footwork for a head gasket replacement on a Subaru for a friend. It took a huge amount of research to understand the problem and figure out what needed to done. For one, thing, defective replacement parts were still being stocked in warehouses, and you could only avoid that by knowing the serial numbers of the defective ones. If they failed every 80,000 miles, as they did, you could be looking at replacing your head gaskets twice while you owned the car, rather than never, as with most cars.

It will be a long time before people forget this long saga. After that experience, I would never buy a Subaru product. They put their customers through hell for many years. Some years after they claimed that they had solved the problem, a former Subaru service manager told me they had not.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (04-17-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 05:34 PM   #15
DickR

You will spend at least $20K for a new car, and likely more. If you get 10 years out of it, that's $2K/year. If you spend that each year in repairs, you break even, so laying out some money to buy a few more years isn't a waste. To me, 100K miles isn't that old, as many cars go easily beyond 200K miles.

As for Subaru failures, sure, they have had some problems over the years, as have most kinds. Most notable for us was the "oil consumption" issue Subaru and others had in model years around 2011-15. In trying to meet CAFE requirements, some manufacturers didn't get attempts to cut engine friction quite right, and excessive oil consumption was the result. Some manufacturers were stingy regarding what they called "excessive" and what they would do to make things right. Subaru wasn't the worst in terms of excessive consumption, yet they had a quite decent standard on what was considered excessive (1/3 quart over a 1200 mile test run).

What you get in service on something like this can vary with the dealer. When we got the notice about the oil issue on our 2012 Forester, after about 80K miles on the car, I went out to the garage and pulled the dipstick. There wasn't anything showing. Since the car was due for an oil change anyway, I took it in right away and told the shop what my concern was. Measuring the oil drain out, it was 3 quarts down. When the next change was due, I took the car to the dealer where we bought it, they changed the oil at no cost, and the 1200 mile test run thus began. After that run, I took the car back, checking the dipstick before leaving home (low by over the 1/3 quart). I guess they didn't want to do any remediation under the warranty, at whatever rate the parent company would pay. Bottom line: not only was there no drop in oil level after the car was back out of the shop (out of sight from me), there was a bit more oil in the crankcase than at the start of the 1200 mile test! Basically, they had added about a half quart on the sly. Needless to say, that dealership will never see us again.

A few months later, I took the car to another Subaru dealership and explained what had happened. Another 1200 mile test was run, and this time, as I watched, oil was added to bring it back up to level. After doing a few calculations, the service manager told me we needed a new block. We got a loaner car for a couple of days, while the new block was installed. Net cost to us: zero!
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:49 AM   #16
fatlazyless

Talking about an oil consumption problem, I drove a brand new 2013 Toyota Scion xB to 221-k miles and it needed another quart oil added with every gasoline fill-up. I got a heck of a lot experience pouring oil into the fill hole without a funnel and bought many, many quarts of the Walmart brand oil that used to cost $2.78/qt before April 2021 when I stopped driving this silver Scion xB.

In December, 2021 I sold it to the guy in the Laconia Daily Sun classified for $300 who is looking to buy used Japanese cars and who presumably will clean it up or something, and resell it.

Allstate paid me $1935 in February 2020 for a hit & run, two right side doors smash-in that I bondo-ed just enough to pass the state inspection by closing up four small holes, and spray painting silver.

Where is this car right now? Was it patched up and resold for $2000 or something? No, it got re-sold for $2500 .....ha-ha-ha ..... just kidding ..... and do not know?

Used cars can and will have hidden problems like oil consumption, or a no-start issue that happens once the battery dies because it's not getting charged up by a problem in the electric. Buying someone else's problem ..... another name for buying a used car ..... you take a chance???

Last August I bought a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek with a 5-speed and you can still buy a brand new 2022 Crosstrek with a manual, a 6-speed, which seems like one speed too many when a 5-speed is all that any normal, rational, safe-driving human could ever ever ever need! Hey there SUBARU .... you need to go back to that 5-speed ...... and forgetabout the 6-speed!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-16-2022 at 07:54 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:13 PM   #17
TheProfessor

Quote:

I'm looking to upgrade to a 2-3 yr old car, with 20-45k miles.
The cost for a good used one will be near the price of a new ordered one.
You may have to wait 6 - 8 weeks for a new one.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote