Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default Best place to stay in October

My mother-in-law and I are planning our annual leaf peeping trip for the Weekend of October 17th-19th and usually stay at the Christmas Island Resort, but thought we would try something different. Any suggestions? We always do the Mt. Washington sunday Brunch, so somewhere near the lake, no matter what side.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Resident 2B

Church Landing is great in the fall, if they still have space. Meredith is a great place to walk around with many good places to eat.

Here is a link: http://www.millfalls.com/inns/church_landing.htm

Have a great trip!

R2B
Resident 2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Cristen

Church Landing or any of the Inns at Mills Falls are fabulous. They can be pricey this time of year. The Meredith Inn is another beautiful place to stay, and costs a bit less. Janet, the owner, makes an incredible breakfast each morning.

Check them out: http://www.meredithinn.com/
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Dave M

I would think the Mills Falls,etc is booked this time of the year, they ususally are. They are not the cheapest, thats for sure. You may want to try motel(think its Green Meadow) in Center Harbor. The Mount stops there. Don't know if its a one point entry for the Mount breakfast though.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Waterbaby

Default Barton's Motel, in Laconia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveWinnipesaukee View Post
My mother-in-law and I are planning our annual leaf peeping trip for the Weekend of October 17th-19th and usually stay at the Christmas Island Resort, but thought we would try something different. Any suggestions? We always do the Mt. Washington sunday Brunch, so somewhere near the lake, no matter what side.
Barton's is very clean, relatively inexpensive, a bit dated but to me clean and inexpensive are priorities. It's also quiet, which I like. Phone number can be found on their website: http://www.bartonsmotel.com/. Plus, Paugus Bay Diner is right across the street -- you can walk over there and not play dodge-car in the parking lot!

They are located about 10-15 minutes from the Weirs, very convenient to the Mt. Washington dock!
Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
bigdog

Default Best place to stay in October

Just stayed at the NASWA this past weekend. Their prices drop dramatically
after Labor Day. Stayed in beachfront unit, overlooking the docks and view of Paugus Bay. Cost for Sat night $100. In season probably half again more.

Not sure if their prices go up in Oct for foliage season, but worth checking.
It's also centrally located on the Lake, so getting around is easy.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

I find Bartons just as described by WB except the Weirs is only about 2 minutes by car.Maybe WB was talking about walking distance which would be more like 25 minutes.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #8
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default Thanks for the responses

Thanks for all the responses, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Bear Tree Lodge in Meredith. I received a brochure from them along with my Mount Washington schedule this year. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
mets3007

Default Bear Tree Lodge

Ok, Bear tree Lodge is very nice but one thing the office is not there. When you have to check in you have to go to the Lazy E Inn to check in and out. The rooms are very nice, modern and clean as I have stayed there a few years back, but there is no on site office. This was a few years back so I dont know if they changed it by now, but back then thats the way it was. The place where you check in is also very good The Lazy E Inn has nice rooms and are also very reasonable. Plus its about half way down Weirs Blvd. so that means its closer to the Mount docks.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
Winnigirl83

I can't say anything about the rooms/rates, but Grand View Motel in the Weirs seems nice. It's right next to Kellerhaus on Rt. 3. The view is exactly as the name says! It seems quiet as it's set off the road. I've never stayed there (I'm local). Once when we were getting ice cream (yes, at Kellerhaus) we looked through the bushes and got curious, so we drove through on our way home.

Then again, is there anywhere NOT nice up here during foliage?
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #11
Waterbaby

Talking Allowing for traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I find Bartons just as described by WB except the Weirs is only about 2 minutes by car.Maybe WB was talking about walking distance which would be more like 25 minutes.
Yup, that's what I was doing, was allowing time for sitting in traffic Needless to say, I am really really terrible with distance and time to get there, lol!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Floridian

Default Christmas Island Resort

Do you have any specific reason why you don't want to stay at Christmas Island this year? We have reservations for there at the end of September, and since you've stayed there before, I'm hoping you can give me some insight. Thanks!
Floridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default Christmas Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridian View Post
Do you have any specific reason why you don't want to stay at Christmas Island this year? We have reservations for there at the end of September, and since you've stayed there before, I'm hoping you can give me some insight. Thanks!
We have stayed there two years in a row, and the rooms are in need of updating, the room we had last year, the end unit on the lower level of the main building, the bathroom door did not close tight, and if the windows are open to let the beautiful breezes in, the door opens while you are indisposed.

Anyway, I am ready for an updated place, the Christmas Island is wonderful because of the indoor pool, but neither year did we use the pool, so it was not worth the money. Give it a chance, it may be OK, depending on the rooms you are in, I am just saying they need updating, the room we were in also had very old carpet, etc. But that is just my experience two years in a row in October.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
SIKSUKR

Exact same as ILW descibed from me also.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
Waterbaby

Definitely sounds like they need some updating, last time I stayed at CI was about (not kidding here) 19 years ago, and that sounds like the description of the room Hubby and I stayed in. The carpet was old then, I can imagine it has some serious stories to tell now!
Old 09-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
Gilligan

Lightbulb Check out Cedar Lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveWinnipesaukee View Post
... thought we would try something different. Any suggestions? We always do the Mt. Washington sunday Brunch, so somewhere near the lake, no matter what side.
You might want to check out the Cedar Lodge at Brickyard Mountain, Weirs Beach. The Weirs are a small hike down hill and the rooms in the back used to have a great view.

I hope peeping is exceptional.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #17
jkjoshuatree

Wink The TuckerNuck Inn...

...in Meredith is a great bread and breakfast. But they may be booked. Within walking distance to Main street in Meredith.

Not sure of the address but I think they have a web site.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #18
Floridian

Default Grand View Motel

I took the advice I had found here and decided to book the Grand View Motel. The owners were friendly (they live on property), and the room was clean, although a little dated. The view from the property was great, but not much of a view from the motel room. That was okay, though, since we could just step outside and see the lake. You can also hear The Mount's horn as it's getting ready to leave The Weirs and again as it passes the #1 light buoy on return. I would stay there again. Only 9 more months until we can return to the lake!
Floridian is offline   Reply With Quote