Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
pjard

Default Golden Retriever loves to swim but...

We have a two year old Golden Retriever who loves to go swimming. But she also likes to chase the ducks/loons or any other bird that happens to swim by. I have her on a tie out when swimming becuase I'm afraid she would chase the birds and get in trouble. She hates the life jacket so that option is out. Am I worried about nothing? Would her instinct kick in and she will always head for shore at some point? Or is it possible she would chase the ducks across the broads...haha! Any thoughts would be appreciated.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Training...

Not so much the training not to chase waterfowl, but to come when called.

If your dog will not come when it is called, then I would have concerns. I had black labs that I used for duck hunting, and they did respond to voice and hand signals. I had no fear of them swimming off, because they would stop on command, and then return if they were so instructed.

If your dog would continue to swim after the waterfowl, and there are enough to be concerned, you may very well need to keep your dog tethered. They can tend to swim out farther than they can return. I share your concern.
pjard (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
JTA

I had a Border Collie who would follow me swimming when I was in my small fishing boat. Once, I was trolling out toward the Broads from Cow Island and when I looked back I saw something black in the water far behind me. It was her. I have no doubt that had I not noticed and turned back, she would have continued until exhausted and drown.
So yeah, be concerned.

Last edited by JTA; 07-03-2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Add
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTA For This Useful Post:
pjard (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Pineedles

My golden, of many years ago swam after the Mount once and had the horn blown at him. Yes, there is nothing that can substitute good training. If you want a training shortcut try training your lab on shore to come when you yell COOKIE! Of course give him the cookie when he comes.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
pjard (07-03-2013), upthesaukee (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

When the chase is on a dog will swim until exhausted..... there is no doubt about that.... I have had to keep dogs tethered because of this....

My current dog, I have worked very hard to make sure he listens, and understand that if he doesn't he is put on a tether..... This however is not an over night project, I have been at it for 3 years now....

When it comes to ducks however I am lucky, sure Gamble swims after them.... But as soon as they catch on, and quack back at him, he does an about face and returns home.... Apparently he is all for retrieving as long as they are dead and don't talk back...
pjard (07-03-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
cillovely

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
When it comes to ducks however I am lucky, sure Gamble swims after them.... But as soon as they catch on, and quack back at him, he does an about face and returns home.... Apparently he is all for retrieving as long as they are dead and don't talk back...
This reminds me of my dog. I have had an issue with geese in my yard forever. Small brook running in the back brings them right to us. So when we got our Lab I was looking forward to having him chase them right out of the yard. I lead Siren down to them and all they have to do is sqauk and he sits down like he's afraid
Then when they are gone, he's more interested in thier poop. But he is only 4 months old, he'll learn, I'll keep working with him on scaring them away.

But as far as the OP's question, I would tether the dog. I just couldnt' stand it if something happened to my pup. And then if you can train them to come, even with a tempting duck/loon playmate, then let him go for a swim. I use a long leash (15 ') for retrevial training that I can jump on when needed. Maybe do something like this in the water.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cillovely For This Useful Post:
pjard (07-03-2013)
Old 07-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
pjard

Default Thanks to all...

I'm keeping her tethered as a result of the feedback. She's a good dog and does come when called but those ducks look to much like cheeseburgers to her....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
jetlag100 (07-04-2013), upthesaukee (07-03-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow You Might Try...

Training her for recall with some kind of super treat, like bacon, liver, cheese etc. The normal treats may not have enough pull for her. Good luck!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
Par Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
... I have her on a tie out when swimming becuase I'm afraid she would chase the birds and get in trouble...
When you say tie out, is she tied on shore, or is she in the water on a long line?

I've not had a dog to train in the water, but I wonder if a lengthy cord clipped to her collar would allow you to keep her from getting out of range? Floating polypropylene line would probably not tangle in her paws. Perhaps this is what you're already doing?
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
pjard

It is a 20 foot tie out and I hold the other end. I thought about the thing getting tangled in her paws. I'm going to look for a better solution.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Par Four

Maybe 1/2" (or more?) polypropylene ine for the extra "floatability" and a red&white float tied in about 4' fom the collar? I'd think that would be enough to float the rope near the dog and the trailing part of the rope should easily be on the surface.

Polyp. rope is very inexpensive, so you could give her a lot more freedom but still retain control. It's not hard to do a proper eye splice with the hollow polypropylene rope either. Sometimes knots tied with the type rope don't stay tied as well as with other type rope.
Par Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
pjard

So go figure that they actually sell floating dog leashes. I just bought one from "Softlines.com". I'm absolutely certain I paid quardruple becuase it's called a "leash" and not a "line" but it does come personalized with the dog's name embroidered! LOL!
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-05-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
polarisman14

Sounds like you just gotta work more with the doggie PFD. Buster (our 2 year old Golden) didn't like his vest when he first got it and used to try to chew through the straps and fabric. Now he associates it with going out on the boat and he doesn't pay any attention to it. Just took a few times with it.

At least that way it improves his visibility in the water so if he does swim to the point of exhaustion people would be less likely to hit him, and you would be able to spend less time babysitting the beloved pup

To Tow: 2007 Honda Ridgeline RTL
To Float: 1977 MFG Gypsy Star 17 O/B
polarisman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
polarisman14

The happy Golden with his vest:

Old 07-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
dpg

Any swimmer should wear a vest they can get tired just like us. work at getting him/her used to it, you don't want any accidents.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #16
pjard

I know the training is the best along with the vest but the swim leash is better than nothing. Just thought I'd pass on a picture. As a side note, the swim leash is really great.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #17
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Goldens..

We always had Goldens, and a good friend once told me that "Living with a Golden is like living with an idiot relative" .

They are the best dogs in the world, smart as a whip, but missing the dog version of "common sense".
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
polarisman14

I can second that. We usually stick Buster outside when we sweep the floors...This time we didn't. Needless to say he ate all of HIS hair that we were sweeping up. Definitely a special breed but love to swim and super lovable.