Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
martbri7

Default Here we go getting screwed again....

Once again gas prices have jumped over night so here is a website to help find

lower prices http://gasbuddy.com/ I was reading every dollar the price a barrel of

oil goes up, you can expect a 2.5 cent increase at the pump. So my question is if

a store that raises gas prices overnight but is using the same gas that was bought

at the cheaper price still in the tank from "x" days ago....are we getting hosed?
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
NoBozo

Default Alternative Fuel

If everyone got rid of their gas burning cars and bought an Electric, we would all be burning Coal instead. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
jeffatsquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by martbri7 View Post
Once again gas prices have jumped over night so here is a website to help find

lower prices http://gasbuddy.com/ I was reading every dollar the price a barrel of

oil goes up, you can expect a 2.5 cent increase at the pump. So my question is if

a store that raises gas prices overnight but is using the same gas that was bought

at the cheaper price still in the tank from "x" days ago....are we getting hosed?
No they have to charge what it is going to cost to fill their tanks in "x" days
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
dowshill (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
NoBozo

Default Getting Here..??

What's this got to do with Getting Here....??? NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default LIFO vs FIFO

The simple answer is that you are paying for the gas stations anticipated cost to replace the less expensive oil he had in his tank at the time of your purchase.

I'm by no means an expert on this.. but this is an article, albeit a bit old, that explains it. (I think )

http://marketingtopics.blogspot.com/...lifo-fifo.html
Old 02-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
What's this got to do with Getting Here....??? NB
I would think he would be meaning his increased cost, gas prices, for "getting here" to the lake. Seems to be a reasonable post IMHO.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
martbri7

Default And we wonder why people are afraid to post...

Getting here? I was just stating how it's unfair that gas prices jump at the

blink of a eye...and trying to provide a website for my friends at this site.
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
kauriel

It would make sense that stations should have to sell gas based on what it was purchased for but then stations would have difficulty unloading gas when prices drop because other stations would have cheaper gas.

I realize some people may have loyalty to certain brands but I buy whatever is cheapest!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
It would make sense that stations should have to sell gas based on what it was purchased for but then stations would have difficulty unloading gas when prices drop because other stations would have cheaper gas.

I realize some people may have loyalty to certain brands but I buy whatever is cheapest!
I am not in the energy business and never have been.

I did have an issue one time few years ago with one of the major propane companies. One delivery -the unit price was quite high compared to other companies at that specific time. At that time there was a sliding scale for the unit price of propane - and the price charged to customer - was dependent on usage. I heat with propane so my usage was higher then say someone who just has a hot water heater or gas stove. So I visited the propane company office and spoke with the district manager. And he showed me all these graphs and charts - on the computer - and how the price varies almost from minute to minute - a slight exageration on my part - but price does vary depending on where the propane is. As I recall he mentioned ports such as Portsmouth and propane tanker ships. And that the propane on any given ship may be bought and sold multiple times with varying prices. Most of us only complain when price goes up. The propane company does not want to be stuck with a tanker ship delivery of propane that is higher then the competition. All in all it appeared to be a complicated issue - as to price.

As to automobile gasoline. From what I read the gasoline comes in by ship in tankers - or - a pipeline that terminates somewhere in NY state. And that gasoline is gasoline. Travel to Logan Airport and view the tanks there in Chelsea. From memory - the largest depot is owned by a company called Northeat Petroleum or some similiar name. And many of the brand names of gasoline purchase from them. So what is the difference in gasolines then? Some state that each tanker truck - or delivery truck - by brand - there are addititves placed in tanker truck - so that one brand actually may be better then the other. Others state that this is hogwash. I don't really know.

So is gasoline just gasoline? Depends on where you get your information. Maybe someone in the gasoline delivery business can chime in.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by martbri7 View Post
Getting here? I was just stating how it's unfair that gas prices jump at the

blink of a eye...and trying to provide a website for my friends at this site.
Blame washington, for not ever Introducing an energy policy. you have to understand that the Oil Co. control this contry.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
Blame washington, for not ever Introducing an energy policy. you have to understand that the Oil Co. control this contry.

Everybodys blaming the middle east but watch the oil company profits even with people trying to cut back
LIforrelaxin (03-01-2011), Pineedles (03-01-2011), SteveA (03-01-2011)
Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default If you have $1 in your wallet...

you have more money than the top 5 US corporations paid in taxes to the US in 2010. Included in the top five, along with 3 Banks and GE was Exxon-Mobil.

EXXON-MOBIL: The oil giant uses offshore subsidiaries in the Caribbean to avoid paying taxes in the United States. Although Exxon-Mobil paid $15 billion in taxes in 2009, not a penny of those taxes went to the American Treasury. This was the same year that the company overtook Wal-Mart in the Fortune 500. Meanwhile the total compensation of Exxon-Mobil’s CEO the same year was over $29,000,000

Maybe that explains the real cost of Gasoline

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/02/26/...et-tax-cheats/

Last edited by SteveA; 03-02-2011 at 06:02 PM.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Maybe that explains the real cost of Gasoline
Steve, I think our dependence on gasoline is what explains the real cost. Yup, supply and demand.