Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2021, 12:23 AM   #1
Rockslider

Default Painting pricing

I recently hired a painter for some interior work -- two rooms and a stairway. No complaints about the work -- we were very happy with it; he was professional, did a very nice job, and the price wasn't unreasonable. Here's the question -- my wife got home before I did and her first question was "Why didn't he do the trim?" When we asked him about that, he said we only discussed walls and ceilings, so he didn't think we wanted the trim done. He wants close to $700 to come back and do it -- four window frames, five door frames, and baseboards.

It's been a long time since I hired a painter, and it was in another state, but my understanding was always that the trim was part of the job, so I never thought it would be an issue. So I'm just curious about other people's experience, or whether I was way off the mark -- is it the general custom in the Lakes Region to quote painting projects "a la carte" -- walls, ceilings, and trim as separate items? Or maybe it was the painters I used in the past who were different?
Rockslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #2
BillJohn

Default Trim was not included

I recently had 2 rooms painted and the painter asked me if I wanted the trim done. I told him I just assumed that was part of the job and he explained how much extra time went into trim and that he could do it but it would cost more than just the walls.
BillJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
MotorHead

IMHO Room is a Room. Room and the Ceiling means the entire room.
Excluding the trim, corners, whatever sounds less than honest.

I would not hire these folks again.
Please post the names here.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #4
Formula260SS

We've hired painters and they asked exactly what we wanted painted. sounds like that didn't happen.

In my world at work you assume nothing and execute work with clear scope detail. I'd say it was a miss on that part here.

time = money, if he priced it without the trim I'd say it'd be tough to throw that in after the fact at no cost.
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
MeredithMan

Default Definitely NOT included...

....Our current house and our last house we had the interior completely re-painted upon move-in, and the trim was an increase to the price. It makes sense when you think about it, as it has to be done meticulously, especially if there are cross-hatches in the windows, doors, etc.

You should also make sure that they prep the walls/ceilings properly as well...fill in any holes and cracks, and caulk any moldings that have developed gaps over time.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
tbonies

Give it a rest. If you want something done, don't make a bunch of assumptions and then blame it on the contractor if it doesn't meet your mental image. Be specific. Create a set of mutually agreed expectations, I think it may be called a contract. Specify walls, ceilings, trim, type of paint to use, price, etc. Just like any other area of life. Don't be lazy and just blame others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
IMHO Room is a Room. Room and the Ceiling means the entire room.
Excluding the trim, corners, whatever sounds less than honest.

I would not hire these folks again.
Please post the names here.
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #7
MotorHead

Responsibility lies with the "professional".

When I go in for an Oil change, I do not have to specify what type of oil to use or if they should replace the filter. It is assumed they will be using the manufacturers recommended oil type and filter.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
tbonies

The person who assumes everything in life is usually the person whining and complaining on social media.

Quote:

When I go in for an Oil change, I do not have to specify what type of oil to use or if they should replace the filter. It is assumed they will be using the manufacturers recommended oil type and filter.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #9
ApS

Arrow Trust but Verify...

Quote:

It might depend on the dealer--or the shop.

As I discovered at a Nissan dealer, "recommended" can include some pricey oils, and you could still end up with a "plain vanilla" filter (generic) installed instead of factory.

I'd lean underneath, and check for the brand name or filter color after an oil change.

At Sal's in Wolfeboro, I specify Mobil 1 and the most-improved filter obtainable--even after accumulating 190,000 trouble-free miles.

Oh yes, to bring this back to paint...your painter can speed through painting the walls using a roller, but trim requires artistry. If you were to do this yourself, you'd understand.

Painting baseboard and ceiling "trim" often involves moving hanging-lamps and heavy furniture. In this case, twice. (But I sympathize if you were snookered).

Last edited by ApS; 01-26-2021 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Roller
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:58 AM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
It might depend on the dealer--or the shop.

As I discovered at a Nissan dealer, "recommended" can include some pricey oils, and you could still end up with a "plain vanilla" filter (generic) installed instead of factory.

I'd lean underneath, and check for the brand name or filter color after an oil change.

At Sal's in Wolfeboro, I specify Mobil 1 and the most-improved filter obtainable--even after accumulating 190,000 trouble-free miles.
The point is that there are some assumptions always made—you'll get a new filter, not used; it'll include a new o-ring; the oil won't be the wrong weight; etc.

In this case, I think both parties erred and the question would be what the best solution is. To my mind, it would be a discounted price on the trim and the understanding that future work would be clearly defined.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #11
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbonies View Post
The person who assumes everything in life is usually the person whining and complaining on social media.
Very profound.
I will make sure to print this and hang it in the bathroom.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:36 AM   #12
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
In my world at work you assume nothing and execute work with clear scope detail. I'd say it was a miss on that part here.
Correct. It is crucial to state exactly what one wants. Then repeat it again so that all parties are clear as to what has to be done. What is going to be done and what is expected to be done.

One can never assume anything.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #13
Flylady

Default Interior quotes

One must ask why would a contractor asked to price a room(s) paint not include the trim and prep work? So their quote would be like $1400.00 for the complete job including trim. Then the client could ask what it would cost without the window sash and trim. $700.00 for just the walls! Compares to getting quotes around $700.00 which you think is a good deal not realizing it is for the walls only.

I got a quote to paint the outside of the house. They texted me that it would be $3500 which included the prep and power wash. Sounded good. I ask another question in which I was informed the quote did NOT include the cost of the paint!

I have learned no matter what, ask lots of questions!
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flylady For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #14
TheProfessor

Quote:

Yep. Have been to one of those quickie places advertising a low price. The oil filter was an extra cost option.

And note: all oil filter manufacturers make different quality oil filters. The number of folds and type/amount of material in the oil filter.

Never assume anything.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #15
tbonies

Quote:
Very profound.

I will make sure to print this and hang it in the bathroom.
Outstanding. Use extra large font.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 01-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #16
MotorHead

Is there an honest contractor in NH or are they all crooks.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #17
Woody38

Default Paint quote

I have had many houses painted since I do not do that anymore. Never had a problem until the last one. Previous painters stained the deck and it was never mentioned when getting a quote. Until this last job, when after painting the house they said they would stain the deck for $800.00. Actually their paint job was excellent. The time before them it took the painter 1 hour to stain the deck and railings. This time I stained it myself and saved the $800. Although their price was in the ballpark of previous jobs.
The deck needs restaining and I am considering using Deck Corect. Has anyone used this product. I will be sanding portions of the deck before using this. I understand it will fill in some small cracks.
Thanks for your input.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:33 PM   #18
dpg

Quote:
Is there an honest contractor in NH or are they all crooks.
Haha and none apparently know how to use the phone... I always need to call 4, 5, 6 people for ONE callback... Is the whole state truly that busy I mean c'mon!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:20 PM   #19
MotorHead

I usually ask honest contractors have known for years, travel to NH and pay for their travel fee.
Believe me, it is worth it for a piece of mind.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #20
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Haha and none apparently know how to use the phone... I always need to call 4, 5, 6 people for ONE callback... Is the whole state truly that busy I mean c'mon!
It IS annoying that so many won't all back but yes, they ARE truly that busy. It is absolutely crazy!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #21
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default You would think...

If you talked to a contractor, about ANY kind of work, all of the options should come out in conversation. A customer not being made aware of the extra costs (say inside trim paint) isn't talking to a competent, business minded person.

Face it- the contractor offers options for which he/she can make more money, and the possibility of negative, mouth-to=mouth advertising becomes non-existent.

If you've been in business for any reasonable amount of time, you know the onus is on you to be thorough, not the one paying you!

What- you want the customer telling you he knows more about your business than you do?
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JEEPONLY For This Useful Post:
MotorHead (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #22
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
I have had many houses painted since I do not do that anymore. Never had a problem until the last one. Previous painters stained the deck and it was never mentioned when getting a quote. Until this last job, when after painting the house they said they would stain the deck for $800.00. Actually their paint job was excellent. The time before them it took the painter 1 hour to stain the deck and railings. This time I stained it myself and saved the $800. Although their price was in the ballpark of previous jobs.
The deck needs restaining and I am considering using Deck Corect. Has anyone used this product. I will be sanding portions of the deck before using this. I understand it will fill in some small cracks.
Thanks for your input.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Don't use any of those deck repair coatings. They don't hold up to winter weather. esp if you put a snow shovel to it.
They would probably be fine down south but not in New England.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #23
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Lessons I've learned.

I'm amazed the painter didn't say "And what color do you want the trim?" At which point you should have called the wife in and said "Honey, what color do you want the trim?"
So, it's her fault. She never should have let you play alone with the painter without her direct supervision in the original negotiations.
I'd call the same painter back. $700 doesn't seem unreasonable for the job you describe. Trim is slow and tedious. Regardless of the original discussion, take responsibility and apologize for not being clear the first time around. Be the boss and make everybody feel good so you can easily hire some other trades in the future. Or you could just replace the windows with polyvinyl or something and never paint again.

Over the years I have developed a crew of tradesmen. They all pretty much know each other and will say, I can or cannot do that. Do you want me to work Ricky into the job? They all answer each other's phone calls as well as mine, and will slide into a job for an hour or two to keep each other's work flowing. We don't talk much about price and bids or quotes. When I call, they pretty much know they're getting the work and there will be a check at the end as they walk out the door. If I don't have a particular trade on my cell phone, I can call one of my team for a recommendation and be assured that I'll get quality work at a fair price. Ya know, these guys all go to the same coffee shop and talk about their customers. I want them to say nice things about me. Big job? Don't hesitate to tip.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:38 PM   #24
8gv

Business would be easy if it weren't for the customers and employees...

My opinion is that there should have been a written contract spelling it out.

The painter missed an opportunity by not suggesting the painting of the trim.

The home owner missed an accountability detail by not clarifying the scope of work.

Would the price seem reasonable with walls and trim for the new total number?

If so, get 'er done.

If not, shop the trim work to others.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #25
Woody38

Default Deck repair

Thank you Biggd. I have wondered about these. One person said he did the deck and was pleased since his wife uses a cane, but no reference to weather conditions. I do not shovel snow off the deck and generally have spent the winters in California for the past 10 years. This year is different because of Covid-19.

Thanks.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #26
fatlazyless

http://www.deckstainhelp.com/class-a...-deck-restore/ ..... what a big surprise that even Rustoleum messed up with deck stain .... Rustoleum is usually very high quality.

You gotta read the comments on this Rustoleum product, down the bottom of the page from Rita Buckmaster ........ wow!

From the above link ....... "Rustoleum Restore has been alleged of being prone to premature failure." ...... " it may be susceptible to bubbling and/or peeling." ....... and it's an expensive gallon of paint as well ...... like 40-dollars!

Say-hey ..... for just five dollars, I got a gallon of Ben Moore Arborcoat solid dark blue last October from Heath's returned paint shelf..... reg price $51 ..... unhappy returned color price, only $5.

Don't like the color too much myself, but otherwise is an excellent product at the right price! Hey, the color is just the color ...... what really matters is the paint is what I keep telling myself!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-28-2021 at 09:06 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #27
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
Thank you Biggd. I have wondered about these. One person said he did the deck and was pleased since his wife uses a cane, but no reference to weather conditions. I do not shovel snow off the deck and generally have spent the winters in California for the past 10 years. This year is different because of Covid-19.

Thanks.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
I have a small front porch, about 8 x 8 with an overhang covering half.
The half under the overhang held up better than the half that was exposed to the elements and needed to be shoveled. I had to scape all of it off because it looked worse than before I did it.
I'm just going to do it over with Trex and be done with it.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #28
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I have a small front porch, about 8 x 8 with an overhang covering half.
The half under the overhang held up better than the half that was exposed to the elements and needed to be shoveled. I had to scape all of it off because it looked worse than before I did it.
I'm just going to do it over with Trex and be done with it.
You do know the Trex has wood in it right, Bigg?
Old 01-27-2021, 06:57 PM   #29
Biggd

I meant a composite material that doesn't need maintenance other than washing. Could be Trex, Weather tech, Azak or some other composite. I just won't use Preasure treated again, which is what's there now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post

Last edited by Biggd; 01-27-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:46 PM   #30
tis

Having personally gone through them all I would get a true plastic one like Azek. Wish I had gotten that the first time not the 5th. Course it wasn't around way back.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:04 PM   #31
Biggd

I used weather tech on a deck 15 years ago and it still looks great.
Quote:
Having personally gone through them all I would get a true plastic one like Azek. Wish I had gotten that the first time not the 5th. Course it wasn't around way back.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:02 AM   #32
tis

Quote:
I used weather tech on a deck 15 years ago and it still looks great.

That I haven't used. I am not familiar. I just know when we used the wood filled products, they were better than PT, mahogany etc, but we got black spots because from the mold. I just didn't like the look.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:10 AM   #33
Biggd

My front porch deck is so small that I'm looking for someone that over bought and are selling the extra at a discount. So as long as it's gray in color and a composite I will put it down. I'm not that fussy.
Quote:
That I haven't used. I am not familiar. I just know when we used the wood filled products, they were better than PT, mahogany etc, but we got black spots because from the mold. I just didn't like the look.

Last edited by Biggd; 01-28-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #34
ApS

Cool The Smell of Trex...

Quote:
You know it as soon as you saw into Trex.

The odor of sawdust is readily apparent!
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
tis (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #35
ApS

Arrow

Quote:
My deck front porch is so small that I'm looking for someone that over bought and are selling the extra at a discount. So as long as it's gray in color and a composite I will put it down. I'm not that fussy.
Here's a reply--sent to the wrong forum:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=26488
Old 01-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #36
fatlazyless

Arrow ....... Warren to the paint rescue!

.....whoopsie-doopsie ..... sorry for posting this one in that other thread, my bad!

Arborcoat exterior stain, made by Ben Moore is very good deck/siding latex stain ...... lists for 57.99/gal ..... and it's pretty normal to find someone's returned, unhappy color for sale on the reject paint shelf at Heath's in Center Harbor for just five dollars.

"Well you know, I thought it would be the greatest color ever painted on a Lake Winnipesaukee house ..... but buoy ..... was I ever wrong on that/this." ...... overheard comments at Heath's paint dept .....

One coat covers very good ..... two coats cover super-duper ..... no primer needed.

Benjamin Moore Paint & Stain is owned by Mr. $86-billion, billionaire Warren Buffett and he will personally stop by your house to help with removing all that old mold and mildew, nailing down the loose nails, and sanding it all down ..... no extra charge for 90-year old Warren to stop by and help you get it done, right!