Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #1
MeredithMan

Default Viessmann vs IBC vs NTI Boilers

Unfortunately, my existing wall-mounted boiler is on its last legs after only 10 years. Based on what I've read on the web, it seems that this particular brand, (Triangle Tube), is notorious for dying in the 8-12 year old range.

My HVAC guy has given me a few replacement options, which range from IBC and NTI on the lower end of the price spectrum, to Viessmann, on the higher end of the price spectrum. I'm familiar with the Viessman brand and know it's one of the best out there, but the price is commensurate with that. I've never heard of IBC or NTI, but those options would be about 40% less expensive. The HVAC guy states that they are good "middle of the road" options. I don't want to cheap out, but I don't want to overpay, (like any major purchase).

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these 3 brands, especially the IBC or NTI?

Thanks!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Unfortunately, my existing wall-mounted boiler is on its last legs after only 10 years. Based on what I've read on the web, it seems that this particular brand, (Triangle Tube), is notorious for dying in the 8-12 year old range.

My HVAC guy has given me a few replacement options, which range from IBC and NTI on the lower end of the price spectrum, to Viessmann, on the higher end of the price spectrum. I'm familiar with the Viessman brand and know it's one of the best out there, but the price is commensurate with that. I've never heard of IBC or NTI, but those options would be about 40% less expensive. The HVAC guy states that they are good "middle of the road" options. I don't want to cheap out, but I don't want to overpay, (like any major purchase).

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with these 3 brands, especially the IBC or NTI?

Thanks!
Go with Viessmann unless you want to do it again in another ten years.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (10-28-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
Formula260SS

Quote:

Thanks!
I have a Viessman at home and love it - thumbs up for Viessman
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Formula260SS For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (10-28-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #4
MotorHead

Get a Burnham cast iron boiler.
It will last you 30+ years.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
Reilly (10-27-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I will 4th Viesmann. Love our quiet little wall hung unit!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (10-28-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Federal Rebate

There is a federal website on what boilers are available for a rebate. For example the Riannai E-Series boiler has a $1600+ rebate. It also qualifies for an additional NHSaves rebate. A high end boiler at mid range price. Plus the fact the energy saves on the long wrong.
Find out if your boiler qualifies.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #7
MotorHead

Are you a fast runner?
If you are, run, run as fast as you can from Rinnai.

I had ECP75 installed to ~1450 s/f property in NH back in 2017.
Provides both heat and hot water.
It was installed by a Rinnai authorized/ certified installer/crook, listed on Rinnai website.

There were no rebates at the time, or I did not qualify since I am not a NH resident, or possible I missed it. Oh well.

Only one person at a time can shower.
You can not run the dishwasher or the washing machine if someone is taking a shower.
The unit is very efficient, my propane bill is comical.
The unit has 0 reliability factor. Every year, something breaks.
This valve, that gasket, some aluminum heat plate, mechanical switch.
Every F..n year.
It is now under Eastern Contract, so far they are doing a great job.
RUN, RUN from Rinnai as fast as you can.

In mass I have a 30+ year Burnham boiler for ~3000 s/f property.
Efficiency s..ks.
I call the plumber once every 5 to 6 years to clean the unit. That is it.
No other service is needed.

Best of luck.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
Are you a fast runner?
If you are, run, run as fast as you can from Rinnai.

I had ECP75 installed to ~1450 s/f property in NH back in 2017.
Provides both heat and hot water.
It was installed by a Rinnai authorized/ certified installer/crook, listed on Rinnai website.

There were no rebates at the time, or I did not qualify since I am not a NH resident, or possible I missed it. Oh well.

Only one person at a time can shower.
You can not run the dishwasher or the washing machine if someone is taking a shower.
The unit is very efficient, my propane bill is comical.
The unit has 0 reliability factor. Every year, something breaks.
This valve, that gasket, some aluminum heat plate, mechanical switch.
Every F..n year.
It is now under Eastern Contract, so far they are doing a great job.
RUN, RUN from Rinnai as fast as you can.

In mass I have a 30+ year Burnham boiler for ~3000 s/f property.
Efficiency s..ks.
I call the plumber once every 5 to 6 years to clean the unit. That is it.
No other service is needed.

Best of luck.
Since your Rinnai ECP75 specs state it can only produce 2.1 gallons per minute and since the average shower utilizes 2.1 gallons per minute, I'm not sure why you would expect anything more?? You should have bought a larger unit plain and simple...

Dan
BroadHopper (10-29-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
MotorHead

I purchased the one recommended by the Rinnai authorized seller/installer.

Hot water is the least of our issues.
The unit is not reliable at all.

Again, best of luck to you.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:10 PM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts

Quote:
I purchased the one recommended by the Rinnai authorized seller/installer.

Hot water is the least of our issues.
The unit is not reliable at all.

Again, best of luck to you.
I have a couple of on demand water systems but strictly use for hot water not heat. One is made by State and has been trouble free for 12 years with zero maintenance. The other I just installed a year ago made by Rinnai RL75iP good for 7.5 gallons per minute. It's installed in a new efficiency apartment above a garage I had built. So far so good...

Dan
Old 10-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
swnoel

All wall hung boilers are 10-12 year boilers... don't be fooled again!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-28-2020), MotorHead (10-28-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Since your Rinnai ECP75 specs state it can only produce 2.1 gallons per minute and since the average shower utilizes 2.1 gallons per minute, I'm not sure why you would expect anything more?? You should have bought a larger unit plain and simple...

Dan
My E110CN is 5 years old and never had a problem. 3.2 GPM flow rate is perfect for a 2 bathroom home. 110,000 BTU is sufficient to heat a high energy efficient 2500 sq foot unit.

Don Morin, who is now retired after 60 years in the business recommends this unit. He says if I have problems it's usually in the water and electrical handling units, i.e. the water circulator, zone switches, zone valve control, etc. They have one year warrantees and often fails. In this install, he uses brands that he can trust.

This model has a 12-year warranty.

The only problem I had was Don Morin's retirement left me without a qualified maintenance person in the area. I made the mistake of allowing Rowell's to maintain the unit only because they claim to maintain Rinnai systems. The system was only two years old, the technician claims the unit is failing and had to flush out the unit and all the lines! Padded the bill big time! After he left no heat in the baseboards and there was a gurgling noise. This time I called Rinnai. They told me to unplug the unit, wait a couple of minutes before plugging in and perform a system diagnostic, purge the pipes of air, and if necessary add water. Problem solved. Called a qualified company since.

I agree with you, you need to get a bigger unit.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:58 AM   #13
MotorHead

Thank you for all the advice.

When the unit goes, I am going to have a sledgehammer party in the driveway.
Will post it here and let you know when and where.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #14
dpg

Quote:
Thank you for all the advice.

When the unit goes, I am going to have a sledgehammer party in the driveway.
Will post it here and let you know when and where.
"When it goes?" I hope your changing it before it "dies?" Surer than !@#$ it'll "go" in the middle of a snow storm in January.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
MotorHead

It is now 3 years old and under "Eastern" Red Ribbon contract.
Repair or replace.

If the pipes freeze, well that is what the insurance is for.

Thank you for your suggestion.
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
DotRat (11-04-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #16
MeredithMan

Default ...And they had heat and hot water happily ever after...

...ended up going with the Viessmann Vitodens 200 Boiler. When it took a full 4 days to install, with a lot of new piping and wiring, I felt better about the high price...Ha! I ultimately chose to go with this unit as the heat exchanger and other internals are stainless steel, (as opposed to aluminum), so theoretically it should be less susceptible to corrosion and leaking. And it is amazingly quiet...you cannot hear this thing go on!
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post:
Biggd (11-21-2020), persamp (01-13-2021), TheTimeTraveler (11-21-2020), VitaBene (11-22-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #17
Tomregal

Quote:

Thanks!
I would go with Viessmann. Mine is 14 years old and rock solid. My HVAC guy swears by them.

I should have read the last post! Looks like you made a good choice!!!
Tomregal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomregal For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (11-24-2020)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #18
Wentworth06

Default New boiler

This is pretty interesting , what would you think your annual heating costs will be with the new system if you don’t mind me asking.
Wentworth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #19
MeredithMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wentworth06 View Post
This is pretty interesting , what would you think your annual heating costs will be with the new system if you don’t mind me asking.
Good question. I don't know, is the honest answer, at this point. The new Viessmann is allegedly a lot more efficient than the previous unit, so I'm hoping that translates into less propane being used. The other piece to the puzzle is that our primary source of heating and cooling is geothermal, so the boiler replacement may be a moot point from an energy consumption & cost point of view.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #20
DickR

Quote:
....The other piece to the puzzle is that our primary source of heating and cooling is geothermal, so the boiler replacement may be a moot point from an energy consumption & cost point of view.
Ummm, with the geothermal heating system, why do you need/want a costly propane-fired system?
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #21
MeredithMan

Default A logical question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Ummm, with the geothermal heating system, why do you need/want a costly propane-fired system?
The previous owner, who built the house, was/is an HVAC/Plumbing contractor. It was built with the geothermal as the primary heat source, but with propane system as a back-up and/or supplemental system. In the winter, we set the thermostat for the back-up heat system pretty low...in the 50's. This saved our bacon several years ago when the geothermal pump failed while we weren't at the house for a few weeks.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #22
frank m.

Quote:

Thanks!
I had a lot of trouble after installing a Buderus a few years ago, and replaced it with a Viessmann last year. It was installed by Rowell and was actually cheaper than the Buderus. It has a titanium boiler with a much better warranty. Very happy with it.
frank m. is offline   Reply With Quote